PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Position?

CityofTreez
10-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Pretty Simple. What is the position you favor the most?
Some of you may have grown up playing a position in your youth, or the position of one of your favorite players?

Mine. Center-Field was my position growing up, and enjoyed every minute of it.

baseballguy247
10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
2B turning the DP

BOSTON617
10-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Doggystlye lmao

mines is prob outfield any postion

rickshaw
10-05-2010, 01:46 PM
backseat, windows up

goldenstater
10-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Catcher cause I played it growing up. I really loved Ozzie Smith when I was a kid( not when he played against the giants ofcourse) it made me appreciate short. And I have to say watching a really good firstbasemen I can appreciate, I know its not that exciting but when you get a good one( watching JT snow play) it amazing how much he saves innings for team.

Canterbury
10-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Sex joke got old quickly. Played as a scrappy 2B growing up so vote goes there.

CityofTreez
10-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Catcher cause I played it growing up. I really loved Ozzie Smith when I was a kid( not when he played against the giants ofcourse) it made me appreciate short. And I have to say watching a really good firstbasemen I can appreciate, I know its not that exciting but when you get a good one( watching JT snow play) it amazing how much he saves innings for team.

JT Snow always gave an amazing performance. I agree.

I commend you for playing Catcher, one of my best friends was a Catcher growing up, I was jalous of what he could do while I was stationed in the outfield.

Jeffy25
10-05-2010, 02:10 PM
shortstop through and through.

Ozzie was my idle as a child.

Played short my entire life, little league, high school, college.

Currently still play it for softball, although, I don't play as much as I wish I could. too damn busy....but I am a pretty smooth fielder....wish my bat was as good as my glove and arm though.

Gunzito22
10-05-2010, 02:11 PM
on top

of ur girl

~~~~~

I always enjoyed 1B, just based on the lack of running... they don't build this model for much running

Pinstripe pride
10-05-2010, 02:14 PM
pitcher

Ian.
10-05-2010, 02:24 PM
*Insert stupid, cliche joke here*

I played 2B my whole career and when I was in the OF, played CF. Not a fan of OF though.

metfan4life775
10-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Catcher i played it growing up

TheRuckus
10-05-2010, 02:29 PM
2B. I don't have the arm to play anywhere else, and my range is good, so it just made sense.

MDfootball36
10-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Between pitcher and 3rd.....I'll say pitcher, I loved being on the mound with the game in my hands

Johann
10-05-2010, 02:51 PM
My fave is catcher

YANKSJETSKNICKS
10-05-2010, 03:04 PM
gotta be catcher...im the starting cather for my high school team

CityofTreez
10-05-2010, 03:06 PM
I played 2B my whole career and when I was in the OF, played CF. Not a fan of OF though.

:laugh2:

I had a pretty good arm so I would sometimes play 3B, but wasn't a fan though :D

Growing up, it was bizarre, I think I was the only one who cherished the OF, every1 else thought they just didn't belong in the infield, and were the (scraps). Something I kinda noticed?

Dr.Philly
10-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Pitcher.

its always better to give than recieve

Bravo95
10-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Started at 2B through high school, but also some CF.

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
10-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Pitching. I love having all the attention and pressure on me.

Fred
10-05-2010, 03:25 PM
3b mostly, or OF...I had a cannon of an arm, but didn't pitch....

CityofTreez
10-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Fred. did you ever get the opportunity to pitch?

Jeffy25
10-05-2010, 03:37 PM
:laugh2:

I had a pretty good arm so I would sometimes play 3B, but wasn't a fan though :D

Growing up, it was bizarre, I think I was the only one who cherished the OF, every1 else thought they just didn't belong in the infield, and were the (scraps). Something I kinda noticed?

you stick the least valuable position player in right until Varsity high school...haha.

No balls get out there....and then, right becomes the guy with the best arm

weird, huh?

Jeffy25
10-05-2010, 03:38 PM
3b mostly, or OF...I had a cannon of an arm, but didn't pitch....

:confused:

mdlr52192
10-05-2010, 03:41 PM
2B/SS, love droppin deuces.

ritz
10-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Played 3B

I'm going to groom my son to be a LHP. No matter how bad you are, there's always room for a lefty. Maybe the Mets will offer him 3/36.

CityofTreez
10-05-2010, 03:45 PM

I didn't pitch, but I got an opportunity once. I thought every1 got at least one opportunity to take the mound, especially if you threw hard

Jeffy25
10-05-2010, 03:49 PM
I didn't pitch, but I got an opportunity once. I thought every1 got at least one opportunity to take the mound, especially if you threw hard

I know we all did as kids...everyone got the chance.

Someone mentioned their sons.

I have a young boy (picture, it's obvious)

He is left handed, which is just freaking awesome when it comes to sports.

We are working on throwing left handed and swinging a little orange bat left handed, next summer should be a lot of fun.

I have coached little league before, and plan to when he is old enough.

But I want to work on switch hitting and pitching.....the first step in working on that, is learning how to kick with both legs...so that is the start, right now.

If he can kick a ball with both legs, meaning he knows how to plant on both opposite legs, you can eventually learn to throw with both legs.

Fred
10-05-2010, 03:50 PM

not really...I was a part-time player and never developed the pitching aspect...I was also into track and field and liked that better

see above

...also, once my high school days were over, I just focused on my running....I did play softball and always ended up @ 3b or SS because of my ability to throw (none of the other drunks could make a long throw)...I actually almost broke my 1b's hand in one softball game on a close play...he still comments about that throw today about 20 years after the fact....ah, the good ol' days when you could play a softball game and then go STRAIGHT to the bar whose T-Shirt you were wearing.... :D

ritz
10-05-2010, 03:51 PM
I look so ridiculous when I try to throw left handed.

Jeffy25
10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
...also, once my high school days were over, I just focused on my running....I did play softball and always ended up @ 3b or SS because of my ability to throw (none of the other drunks could make a long throw)...I actually almost broke my 1b's hand in one softball game on a close play...he still comments about that throw today about 20 years after the fact....ah, the good ol' days when you could play a softball game and then go STRAIGHT to the bar whose T-Shirt you were wearing.... :D

That is what my softball league does :)

CityofTreez
10-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I know we all did as kids...everyone got the chance.

Someone mentioned their sons.

I have a young boy (picture, it's obvious)

He is left handed, which is just freaking awesome when it comes to sports.

We are working on throwing left handed and swinging a little orange bat left handed, next summer should be a lot of fun.

I have coached little league before, and plan to when he is old enough.

But I want to work on switch hitting and pitching.....the first step in working on that, is learning how to kick with both legs...so that is the start, right now.

If he can kick a ball with both legs, meaning he knows how to plant on both opposite legs, you can eventually learn to throw with both legs.

I wish I had the link, but there is a dad who recently developed his son into (ambidextrous) but he pitches left-handed & right-handed. It was an awesome story, and I'm going to try searching for it right now!

Props on coaching Little League. Those were the best memories as a kid, and I am definitely going to live that expereince through my kid when the time comes :up:

You're 100% accurate. IDK why, but left-handers are entertaining to watch whether they are good, decent, or awful. :D

CityofTreez
10-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Found It, if you haven't seen see it yet
http://www.livescience.com/culture/Pat-Venditte-ambidextrous-baseball-100402.html

Jeffy25
10-05-2010, 04:11 PM
I wish I had the link, but there is a dad who recently developed his son into (ambidextrous) but he pitches left-handed & right-handed. It was an awesome story, and I'm going to try searching for it right now!

Props on coaching Little League. Those were the best memories as a kid, and I am definitely going to live that expereince through my kid when the time comes :up:

would love to see that!!!!

and thank you! It is completely worth it, same with church league basketball. sooooooo much fun

ishouldbeagm
10-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Played every infield position except catcher, but I sucked at fielding so it wasn't really fun. My coaches moved me to outfield due to my speed and arm. As time went one my hitting declined, I was always a speed/contact/walks kinda of guy but never showed any power. So when our starting pitchers got hurt they moved me to the rotation cause of my strong arm. Took awhile for me to get my command on track, so they moved me to relief for the rest of the season. Due to some dumb in game decisions by my coaches they were forced to put me in a playoff game to close it out. And ever since I have loved the closer position. Starting and playing outfield aint bad, but the rush you get from closing a game cant compare.

Zaunnie
10-05-2010, 04:32 PM
I was a catcher in high school. I occasionally got the day off anywhere in the outfield or at second, but after I broke my shoulder I got moved to the outfield for the rest of the season. I was good :)

CityofTreez
10-05-2010, 04:47 PM
I was a catcher in high school. I occasionally got the day off anywhere in the outfield or at second, but after I broke my shoulder I got moved to the outfield for the rest of the season. I was good :)

puss. :p

Injuries were awful. I nearly broke my anke because of a sprinkler head at our high school diamond. (of course, our school did not maintain our field, or feel the need to have it look nice). I dislocated the ankle, instead of a break, so thats a plus.

OneTuzSea
10-05-2010, 04:49 PM
I've never played baseball but holy **** I can't imagine playing catcher. Maybe it's just becuase I'm tall and my knees already suck, but that has to kill.

I'd go with career DH. Edgar Martinez style.

Jeffy25
10-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Found It, if you haven't seen see it yet
http://www.livescience.com/culture/Pat-Venditte-ambidextrous-baseball-100402.html

oh, it's about Pat...haha, I thought it would discuss someone else.

but it's awesome to say the least! :D

Kaden will be going through similar things.

Zaunnie
10-05-2010, 04:52 PM
puss. :p

Injuries were awful. I nearly broke my anke because of a sprinkler head at our high school diamond. (of course, our school did not maintain our field, or feel the need to have it look nice). I dislocated the ankle, instead of a break, so thats a plus.

It broke when I was catching and the left handed batter lost control of his bat during his swing and his bat just happened to hit my shoulder of all places. He got tossed from the game but it still wasn't the same. :)

I also nearly got a concussion during practice when I was playing first base and an idiot freshman decided to be a big shot and collided with me during a sliding catch. I still got the ball.

brewersfan729
10-05-2010, 05:06 PM

Same when I try to throw right handed. Ball goes about 10 feet sideways. CF or pitcher. I preferred CF. I was a ridiculous defensive 1B in Little League though. :)

I throw left handed but bat right handed. When I was around 10 I tried to start switch hitting, but batting left handed never felt comfortable to me, so I went back exclusively to hitting right handed.

CityofTreez
10-05-2010, 05:10 PM
It broke when I was catching and the left handed batter lost control of his bat during his swing and his bat just happened to hit my shoulder of all places. He got tossed from the game but it still wasn't the same. :)

Wait.....he got tossed because of an accident, or later in the game?

Also, being a right-handed hitter/thrower. I was jealous of switch hitters!

Zaunnie
10-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Wait.....he got tossed because of an accident, or later in the game?

Also, being a right-handed hitter/thrower. I was jealous of switch hitters!

He got tossed because of the accident. If you threw the bat in any way accidental or no the umps would always eject you from the game or make you an automatic out in my league.

brewersfan729
10-05-2010, 05:19 PM
I was jealous of switch hitters!

I still am. My bat speed is horrible as a left handed hitter.

yankswin27
10-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Center Field, no questions asked. Love chasing down those fly balls.

Tkais9009
10-05-2010, 06:04 PM
2B and 3B were always fun

sfg554828
10-05-2010, 06:22 PM
I was the best at pitching. Definitely one of my favorite things to do because there was so much I could do with the baseball, I could make the hitter foolish. My next position would have to be Shortstop because Omar Vizquel is my idle as a defensive player.

dtmagnet
10-05-2010, 06:34 PM
I love playing CF, you get free reign of the outfield to run and chase fly balls.

goldenstater
10-05-2010, 06:44 PM
JT Snow always gave an amazing performance. I agree.

I commend you for playing Catcher, one of my best friends was a Catcher growing up, I was jalous of what he could do while I was stationed in the outfield.

I played short stop, and got called up to varsity my sophomore year to play and I didn't want to cause my friends were on jv and the varsity team was garbage.lol anyways I told the V coach I didn't want to play for him and he told fine pick a new position cause you will never play short again here Lol! So I had to learn to play catcher, long story short I LOVED IT!!!! but my knees are still shot from it I never took care ofmy self. Threw out Casey mcghee from the grass when I was a sophomore and he was a senior and that was the last game at short I ever played and I promise he was faster than he is now.lol.

metsfaninSTL
10-05-2010, 06:48 PM
shortstop but im probably too slow to actually play that position

rkelly7
10-05-2010, 06:48 PM
backseat, windows up

That's the way I like to fark, and keep those windows closed, you'll let the stank out haha

Cub_StuckinSTL
10-05-2010, 07:40 PM
SS hands down. I loved turning plays. Also was pretty scrappy so was more of a lead off hitter do whatever you can to get on base.

northsider
10-05-2010, 07:56 PM
SS it's just fun being a leader in the IF.

eXpLiiCt
10-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Bat Boy

utahjazzno12fan
10-05-2010, 09:03 PM
I played catcher for much of the time I played baseball. I played 3rd and SS in high school until they decided to try and put me at 2B. That was my least favorite position. It did not utilize my arm, so I just gave it up.

Catching did take its toll on my arm because I have a torn posterior labrum. I won't have surgery though, so now I can't even make a throw from the infield back to the pitcher.

I coach school ball now. The other day we had try-outs. I wanted to work the pitchers, so I put on the catcher's gear. It was 90 degrees plus and brought back memories. Unfortunately, after about 10 minutes I was done. I remember playing in tournaments as a kid a catching several games a day. I refuse to do that to my players now.

There was one game where I played an inning at every position (just one outfield spot, so P,C,1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF). That was pretty special. I also only ever pitched in less than 10 games, but I did have a 1-hitter in high school. In another game, I pitched 2 innings, but I struck out the first 3 batters in the first inning. In the second inning, I gave up a ground ball to first (which went between the 1B's legs) for an error. I did not throw another strike that entire inning, but I did not give up a run as he stole second and took third on a wild pitch. After walking the next guy, I did the third-first pickoff and it worked. Then, I was in the stretch taking the sign when I snap threw to third for the second pickoff. I walked the third batter. He took second on a wild pitch. Then, the CF snuck in for a third pickoff of the inning.

CityofTreez
10-05-2010, 09:20 PM
shortstop but im probably too slow to actually play that position

You and me both!
I played a fast-pitch league a couple years ago and it was hilarious how slow I was in the OF. I wasn't trying 100%, but it was comical how many steps I lost 5-6 years ago. :laugh2:

MelanconMadness
10-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Always had great accuracy, and secondary pitches, but could never throw over 75. So as much as I liked pitching, I was a much better 1st baseman

carnage101
10-05-2010, 10:20 PM
catcher is the best esp if you are add like me

MattColby
10-05-2010, 10:25 PM
I played short and third. Nothing better than playing third and running in on the slower rollers trying to make the barehand play and gun the runner out. SS double plays, back hands in the hole, diving plays up the middle.

NBAkYD
10-05-2010, 10:43 PM
I played a little MI and LF, enjoyed aspects of both. I would have loved to pitch but just don't have the arm for it.

el_primo_nano
10-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Center field... why? Torri Hunter..

bagwell368
10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Pitching. I was a very wild lefty. Actually I wasn't a pitcher. I was a thrower, the harder the better. I was stupid, so stupid. I learned how to pitch after I couldn't do it anymore.

Save Mattingly
10-05-2010, 11:09 PM
It was always the hot corner for me. Line drives, long throws and a dirty uniform. God I miss it.

mully
10-05-2010, 11:23 PM
I played third when I was a kid.

Vandelay16
10-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Pitcher, I might be playing college ball at a community college.

Korman12
10-06-2010, 12:10 AM
3rd Base, always.

RocketPower2010
10-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Missionary

stupidmop
10-06-2010, 12:13 AM
In little league I always liked playing 2B.

MattColby
10-06-2010, 12:19 AM
In my ***

What??

thefeckcampaign
10-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Left-Handed Catcher!

todu82
10-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Third Base

CityofTreez
10-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Left-Handed Catcher!

Never seen one ever. :clap:

goldenstater
10-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Never seen one ever. :clap:

I have its crazy also a left handed third base is so weird too lol.

Saltinuts40
10-06-2010, 11:52 AM
In baseball, I am partial to Left Field. As a Giant fan, how could I not be

Jeffrey Leonard - Kevin Mitchell - Barry Bonds - Pat Burrell (Aubrey Huff)

SouljahPhil...
10-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Shortstop...grew up emulating jeter...

MooseWithFleas
10-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Catcher
Center
2B
SS
Pitcher
3B
1B
LF
RF

nithanyo
10-06-2010, 01:10 PM
I can pitch fairly well hence i pitch. I can hit decently too but i cant judge a baseball for ****. If i play in the field i am sure to make an error

RedSox>Yankees
10-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Shortstop all the way. I'm not your everday SS though, because I'm 6-3. Luckily I'm blessed with athleticism to make up for it. 2B and 3B are my alternative positions.

Uncle Sam
10-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Shortstop

pf289
10-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Doggystyle

xabial
10-06-2010, 03:43 PM
i like Outfield

KingsPhillies
10-07-2010, 03:36 PM
I've always had a fascination with first base. Even when I was a little kid, before I even started little league, I was dead-set on being a first baseman. And being that I'm left-handed, it wasn't hard to convince my coaches to put me at first. For the longest time that's the only position I played. But once my arm got stronger, and I started to throw some heat, I was taught how to pitch(again, because I am a lefty). While I did enjoy pitching immensely, and was fairly decent at it, first base was still my favorite. Eventually I totally screwed up my left shoulder in a car accident, and lost enough of my speed, command and control to no longer be effective on the mound. From then on I played first for the rest of my "career", and was perfectly content with that.

BigLee53
10-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Doggystyle

same.

sep11ie
10-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I still play short right now. I'm pretty amazing.

mike155
10-08-2010, 09:26 PM
So not the subject that I thought...:facepalm:

Jack of Blades
10-08-2010, 09:52 PM
2nd.

ThisIsTheYear
10-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Ive played every position. Started at 2B then moved to OF then 3B and occasionally 1B. Always had a good arm so I did alright at those two. Once I got older I got into better shape and got crazy fast.

Because of my range and arm I would play SS or CF. One day decided to pitch, struck out 4 of the first 6 I faced. Next season I joined a new team and after pitching my coach stuck me at 1B, saw me make a nice couple of picks in the dirt. Next game I was behind the plate.

And thats the story how I became a catcher. Fastest catcher you will ever meet, no joke.

PhillyForLife90
10-08-2010, 10:56 PM
For me it would have to be 1B and Pitcher. I'm naturally a pitcher though so yeaa.

MetsLegacy
10-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Center field. I'm extremely fast and it's easy for me to get to balls that others have trouble.

Havoc Wreaker
10-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Segunda Base.

GoatMilk
10-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Dh

Havoc Wreaker
10-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Dh
I started to play DH, but I was never any good at it defensively.

Zaunnie
10-08-2010, 11:26 PM
I started to play DH, but I was never any good at it defensively.

I see what you did there.