PDA

View Full Version : Will Tyrus Thomas finally breakthrough this season?

DerekRE_3
10-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Now, before the thought police say "Bobcats forum" and move this, I'd just like to remind them that nobody posts and/or knows that the Bobcats forum exists. Plus, I'd like to see what everyone thinks about this.

A lot of you know Tyrus signed a (frontloaded) 5 year $40 million contract. Obviously that is a lot of coin for such an unproven player. But Larry Brown seems to have made Tyrus his pet project and is quoted as saying "if Tyrus fails it's on me." With a whole training camp with Brown under his belt and what looks to be a starting job, will Tyrus Thomas finally break through as a player and start to live up to his draft status?

Here's what they have been saying about Tyrus in the Bobcats camp:

WILMINGTON Teammates never have a worry concerning Charlotte Bobcat Tyrus Thomas' body.

His head? That's another thing entirely.

"I think he's still a little immature,'' small forward Gerald Wallace said. "But at the same time, when he focuses on playing the game the right way, and not worrying about the referees or worrying about getting fouled or getting hit, he's amazing.''

Added shooting guard Stephen Jackson, "All he has to do is keep his mind in the game, and you'll see a lot of good this season.''

There's a reason Bobcats coach Larry Brown frequently calls Thomas this team's Rasheed Wallace. Like now-retired Wallace, Thomas is a superbly talented big man. Also like Wallace, he can be cranky, moody and disruptive.

But there's been none of that so far this preseason. Thomas was probably this team's best player in training camp, topping off a great week at UNC-Wilmington with 14 points and three blocked shots in Sunday's intra-squad scrimmage.

As the Bobcats enter the exhibition phase of the preseason - they play the Cavaliers in Cleveland Tuesday night - the question hovers: Is Thomas ready to grow up and calm down?

He offers an emphatic yes, crediting his turnaround to the trust established with Brown.

"People say I'm uncoachable and this and that,'' Thomas said Monday following practice. "This (relationship) is the best by far I've ever had with a coach in my life.''

Thomas hasn't always interacted well with male authority figures. His first 2 1/2 NBA seasons, spent with the Chicago Bulls, included a $10,000 fine for saying he was only in the All-Star Weekend dunk contest for the money and a one-game suspension for complaining about playing time.

His clashes with then-Bulls coach Vinny Del Negro were frequent. For all his ability - as a pure athlete, he's extraordinary - the Bulls decided he was more trouble than he was worth, dealing him to the Bobcats at the trade deadline.

"It was no secret he didn't get along with Del Negro,'' said Jackson, another player with behavior issues in his past.

"But everybody on this team knows coach cares, not just about how we're performing, but also about us as people off the court. I think he got that across to Tyrus.''

Brown says that after years with Allen Iverson in Philadelphia and Rasheed Wallace in Detroit, he knows how to coach high-maintenance players.

Brown says his only strategy managing Thomas is, "Let Tyrus be Tyrus.'' If that means Thomas yells at Brown, then Brown will yell right back. But it's also about establishing genuine relationships beyond basketball.

Thomas said Brown called him frequently over the summer, first to check on the status of contract negotiations, then to check on Thomas' family and whether Thomas had found a place to live in Charlotte after signing his $40 million deal.

"When you've got a guy who cares about you as a person, it makes it easier to take'' the critiques, Thomas described. "So when he curses me out, or he's fussing at me or just riding me the whole practice, I know it's for a reason.

"And maybe sometimes it's not for a reason, but that's just how L.B. is. After (the harangue) he'll come give you a hug and tell you exactly how to get better.''

Source: Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/04/1739558/bobcats-hope-thomas-physical-skills.html)

abe_froman
10-05-2010, 12:51 AM
having seen him closer than most who will post here.i'm going to have to say no...but i do think he will become serviceable

sargon21
10-05-2010, 12:52 AM
No.

DerekRE_3
10-05-2010, 12:53 AM
having seen him closer than most who will post here.i'm going to have to say no...but i do think he will become serviceable

He was serviceable last year.

ChiSox219
10-05-2010, 12:56 AM
He's already a very good defender with great potential.

He needs to work on being a productive part of the offense. With Chicago he regularly tried to do much and turned the ball over often. He has some skill and can hit the mid range jumper with consistency but he needs to his awesome athleticism more efficiency. More bulk/muscle would be a big help.

I think he will have a very good year and I like the contract Charlotte gave him.

bigsams50
10-05-2010, 01:02 AM
I think he will. Of course i'm biased though. But a full year under Larry Brown should do wonders for his game.

D-Will4Prez
10-05-2010, 01:02 AM
if LB thinks Tyrus will break out of his shell I believe him. There aren't many coaches in the NBA who could turn Tyrus around but if anyone can, it's Brown.

DerekRE_3
10-05-2010, 01:04 AM
if LB thinks Tyrus will break out of his shell I believe him. There aren't many coaches in the NBA who could turn Tyrus around but if anyone can, it's Brown.

That's basically my view. If Brown can't do it, nobody can.

TrueFan420
10-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Tyrus lucked out he landed with Brown there prob isnt a better coach to pair with him in the world. Brown seems to have a talent for getting players with talent but bad attitudes to focus on the game and play hard. One thing that was never questioned about wallace and AI was that when they played with Brown that they left it all out on the court.

1-800-STFU
10-05-2010, 01:33 AM
Every year Bulls fans said "this is the year he'll break out".

It didn't happen, and it never will.

Baller1
10-05-2010, 01:58 AM
Every year Bulls fans said "this is the year he'll break out".

It didn't happen, and it never will.

Chicago also never had a coach.

MJ-BULLS
10-05-2010, 01:59 AM
very hard to say that TT will breakout this year.

being a bulls fan i have seen him in action for some couple of years already and i always said that to my self, this is the year he breaks out....but he never did, and dont expect 2.

abe_froman
10-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Chicago also never had a coach.

he had skiles at the beginning,and their clashes is what(in large part) eventually lead to scott's dismissal

TrueFan420
10-05-2010, 02:12 AM
very hard to say that TT will breakout this year.

being a bulls fan i have seen him in action for some couple of years already and i always said that to my self, this is the year he breaks out....but he never did, and dont expect 2.

fair enough but at the same time Larry Brown was never your coach either.

Ezekial
10-05-2010, 02:16 AM
Now that he is off the Bulls.... Probably yes. :(

SchyGuy11
10-05-2010, 02:19 AM
nope no way never

DerekRE_3
10-05-2010, 02:20 AM
he had skiles at the beginning,and their clashes is what(in large part) eventually lead to scott's dismissal

Right, but him and Larry Brown get along great. He responds to Brown and respects him. That's the key to everything I think. Brown is one of the all time greats not only as a coach but as a teacher.

Baller1
10-05-2010, 02:22 AM

Well regardless, Skiles is no Larry Brown.

abe_froman
10-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Right, but him and Larry Brown get along great. He responds to Brown and respects him. That's the key to everything I think. Brown is one of the all time greats not only as a coach but as a teacher.

right,if anyone in the league can do its him(or phil),which is why i think its the best situation for him.like i said i doubt he'll ever live up to the billing,i also think he will dig himself out the hole and be an alright player

my best advice from someone who had him,is live without expectations(well at least high ones)when it comes to him.just see what he does well/when he's on ,as gravy and not a sign of turning the corner

DerekRE_3
10-05-2010, 02:31 AM
right,if anyone in the league can do its him(or phil),which is why i think its the best situation for him.like i said i doubt he'll ever live up to the billing,i also think he will dig himself out the hole and be an alright player

my best advice from someone who had him,is live without expectations(well at least high ones)when it comes to him.just see what he does well/when he's on ,as gravy and not a sign of turning the corner

Yep. And for what it's worth...All I want Tyrus to do this year is be better than Boris Diaw was last year...which should be pretty damn easy.

abe_froman
10-05-2010, 02:40 AM
Yep. And for what it's worth...All I want Tyrus to do this year is be better than Boris Diaw was last year...which should be pretty damn easy.

it'll be up and down,but law of averages ,yes he can/will def do that by the end of of the year summery

Bullsfan22
10-05-2010, 02:52 AM
I'm still a big Tyrus fan I hope he does.

black1605
10-05-2010, 03:04 AM
He will be a top 10 power forward. If that counts as breaking through, than yes.

Bullsfan22
10-05-2010, 03:17 AM
He will be a top 10 power forward. If that counts as breaking through, than yes.

bold statement.

blams
10-05-2010, 03:30 AM
:confused: Tyrus has never been a good defender. He is a great 'help defender' but that doesn't mean anything. Just means he can cheat and jump sometimes. As far as actual, tough, strategic, smart defensive basketball goes- he is awfullllll.

Hawkeye15
10-05-2010, 08:05 AM
will we ever stop hearing, "this is the year TT breaks out"?
At some point, a player has to be considered for what they are.

Ace33Bone
10-05-2010, 08:58 AM
will we ever stop hearing, "this is the year TT breaks out"?
At some point, a player has to be considered for what they are.

I would have to agree... It seems like the jury has been debating on him for awhile... I think TT is a great athlete but has never lived up to his potential... he is basically a great deal of athleticism without the skills to back it... his offensive game hasnt improved that much since he has been in the league... he's going to struggle to score unless he plays with a Nash like PG that can hand feed him (Watch out for Hakim Warrick this year)... and on defense he is a GREAT helpside/position defender but is not a lock down defender like some of youa are making him out to be... I think he will have a steady year but nothing out of the ordinary for him stat wise

effen5
10-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Tyrus is an awful player, mediocre on defense, and me type player first, a team player second

so no.

mikantsass
10-05-2010, 09:20 AM
This guys is just athletic. He doesnt really have basketball skill.

Badluck33
10-05-2010, 09:24 AM
I really hope he does. But i doubt it.

DeyAce
10-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Tyrus will never reach his full potential

jkcronyn
10-05-2010, 11:09 AM
look what LB did for the pistons a few years ago... they were always on the cusp of winning til he got in and showed rasheed how to play team ball, gave ben a solidified role and gave everyone they're correct minutes.. he's a great manager and if he can work out the right amount of minutes and find him the right role tyrus has a chance

jkcronyn
10-05-2010, 11:10 AM
but i still say he'll end up like emeka... HUGE hype no real stardom im gonna guess 13 and 8 this year

LionBryan
10-05-2010, 11:22 AM
No, but Mike James will.

TheWatcher34
10-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Tyrus will never reach his full potential

i agree. i think he's too dumb, not focused..easily distracted.., and he overevaluates "making the highlight reel" and "flashy-ness". seems like he's in for the $$$

TheWatcher34
10-05-2010, 11:40 AM
No, but Mike James will.

it's not possible to have a breakthrough season when you're already greater than life.

rhymeratic
10-05-2010, 11:54 AM
To me Ty Thomas = JJ Hickson = Below Stromile Swift.

AddiX
10-05-2010, 12:02 PM
I think his potential was more based on over exaggerated expectations than the ability to actually do it.

It's like a guy is lengthy and has hops and everyone now thinks he has superstar potential. Fans and media have really forgotten the full range of skills that basketball requires. Dunking is very small part of it.

DaBUU
10-05-2010, 12:16 PM
If LB can convince him that hes not a shooting guard, stop him from being afraid of contact and keep him close to the basket at all times, he might turn it around.

Chronz
10-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Its odd, it feels to me like the best deals are ones when you overpay for a guy whos proven little but with upside up the but. Like if Tyrus does break out this year than you have a guy whos a 10-12M a year player, only Charlotte got him for significantly less. Good signing

Pauleboman
10-05-2010, 12:49 PM
If LB can convince him that hes not a shooting guard, stop him from being afraid of contact and keep him close to the basket at all times, he might turn it around.

His BB IQ will not allow him to be good.He will breakout on wellbutrin is all he is going to do I think!I was a big fan at one time and I would bet 10 dollars on it.My 10`s are about 90% winners.

FIBA makes the.
10-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Tyrus will have to carry the load, we all know Kwame Brown won't produce. I bet hes been working his *** of under larry brown and wont be scared to step back for a jumper. Its just a matter of Time, i can wait, can the bobcats?

DerekRE_3
10-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Just in case people didn't know...Tyrus averaged 10 points 6 rebounds and 1.5 blocks a game in 22 mpg with the bobcats. That translates to about 17 points 9.8 boards and 2.5 blocks a game per 36 minutes. He should see an increase in minutes this year and having a full training camp should help.

MJ-BULLS
10-05-2010, 01:02 PM
fair enough but at the same time Larry Brown was never your coach either.

Larry brown is only one of the few coaches that i think can change him into a solid player, not great, but solid.

Mplsman
10-05-2010, 02:23 PM
He could. He's the only one holding himself back.

DamnGoat
10-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I doubt it.

I hoped he would the last 2-3 years with the Bulls, but he just keeps making the same stupid mistakes over and over. He's gotta be one of the dumbest basketball players I can remember.

REALLYYYYY?
10-05-2010, 02:48 PM
he will never break through. bobcats fans, don't get your hopes up the way bulls fans did. something just is messed up in tt's head. he seems to either have a very low iq, unmedicated adhd, or both. if the only problem is that he has unmedicated adhd, then it is possible for him to break through if he starts taking medication. otherwise, i highly doubt that he will ever break through.

DerekRE_3
11-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Obviously it's early, but here is an update on Tyrus Thomas this season:
12.7 PPG 5.8 RPG 1.6 BPG 51.5% FG 82.8% FT 21.8 MPG

Per 36 minutes:
21 PPG 9.6 RPG 2.6 BPG

Pretty good numbers for the amount of minutes he is getting. He is also posting a PER of 23.16 (league average is 15) so far this season, highest on the team, and is 2nd on the team in win shares to Gerald Wallace. He actually has the highest PER of his draft class so far this season.

Ragun
11-21-2010, 03:26 PM
i love TT personally...thought the bulls gave up on him too early.

Draco
11-21-2010, 03:31 PM
i love TT personally...thought the bulls gave up on him too early.

He was in the middle of his 4rth year while Noah and Gibson were making better progress in less time with the Bulls. If the Bulls could play more than 5 on the floor and payroll was no issue then they might have kept TT. Realistically it was time for him to go.

jimbobjarree
11-21-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm gunna say no, just to annoy derek

GSwarriors4LIFE
11-21-2010, 04:56 PM
He might have a break through year, but he will never be above average. I'm not hating I actually respect TT.

ShadyTip
11-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Ask JordansBulls

Geargo Wallace
11-21-2010, 05:34 PM
is this the annual Tyrus Thomas breaking through thread?

zambo4president
11-21-2010, 06:00 PM
No Tyrus is close to ********.

Chateamsfan
11-21-2010, 07:45 PM
No Tyrus is close to ********.

That's not bitter at all! :D

king4day
11-21-2010, 09:11 PM
I don't' get what all the hate is about.

I've seen some of his games this year. He's a hustle rebounder, is decent with posting up, and can shoot. He's Charlotte's best big man and 3rd best player behind SJack and Wallace.

Even if it's not an allstar season, he is definitely having a breakthrough year....AND he comes off the bench.

zambo4president
11-21-2010, 09:30 PM
That's not bitter at all! :D

Im not bitter:laugh2: I was so happy I yelled when they traded him

DerekRE_3
11-21-2010, 09:43 PM
I don't' get what all the hate is about.

I've seen some of his games this year. He's a hustle rebounder, is decent with posting up, and can shoot. He's Charlotte's best big man and 3rd best player behind SJack and Wallace.

Even if it's not an allstar season, he is definitely having a breakthrough year....AND he comes off the bench.

Well most people haven't sign the post Bulls Tyrus Thomas play that much.

DeyAce
11-21-2010, 09:48 PM
He was in the middle of his 4rth year while Noah and Gibson were making better progress in less time with the Bulls. If the Bulls could play more than 5 on the floor and payroll was no issue then they might have kept TT. Realistically it was time for him to go.

This

Hawkeye15
11-21-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't think he will ever "breakout". That is reserved for a player who has a huge year after a string of whatever. TT may very well end up a 13/6 player who can defend, but he will most likely always be looked at as a waste of physical potential. Fair? No. But scouts/fans/teams see a guy who can dunk with his mouth, and shoot, block, and be a human deer, and they expect great. But the mental part of the game needs to be there as well, or you get a limited player.

JayHunter
11-21-2010, 10:03 PM
His breakout season should have been last year

effen5
11-21-2010, 10:16 PM
his break out season should have been.......we shoulda kept aldridge......well whatever

see ya tyrus

Chateamsfan
11-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Thomas will be Most Improved Player and will be starting by end of year. If he doesn't he'll also be 6th man of the year!

black1605
11-21-2010, 11:15 PM
I couldn't be happier with Thomas so far this year. Eventually, he will get the minutes he deserves, then people will be able to judge him fairly.

BULLSFAN0810
11-21-2010, 11:19 PM
As a Bulls fan, i believed the Bulls as an org. dropped the ball...the 1st thing they did wrong was draft TT as a PF. I know his skill set and athleticism made him more efficent at the pf,but the Bulls shouldve know realistically he is a SF that can play Pf,somewhat like shawn Marion. 2nd they shouldve known he was a project so therefore he should not have started at all they should have had a reliable Pf with expierence to play ahead of him.3rd when he did start he should not have lost his starting spot to injury,even though Taj is more rounded,they shouldve let TT play his self out of the position. I always thought he was a runner on the wing,which IMO where the shouldve took Deng out who has shown as a 3 man he cannot finish at the hole which TT does well.Deng has the athleticism of a leg amputee. IMO i believe the issue with TT is he is young no 23-24 year old is in his right mind and they are selfish..Im not saying being young is bad but when you get drafted at 20 with little ball skill but know you can jump out the gym you rely on that you tend to rely on what you can do with your body compared to what you can do with your brain...I believe TT will be a 16/8/2 type of player..hopefully

quade36
11-21-2010, 11:26 PM
My biggest issue with Thomas is that he had such an ugly outside shot. He is too small to be a power forward (even though ESPN says he is 6'10'' he is really only 6'8'') So without being able to shoot I just can't see him being a high scorer. I think what he is averaging now for the bobcats are more realistic numbers, 13 points 6 rebounds a game.

Its good to be optimistic. As a bulls fan, we all were very optimistic about Thomas. However, 5 years later I would have loved to have Aldridge over him. Realistically you have to only look at him as a 6th man at best. That being said, he is doing a pretty good job.

Draco
11-21-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm just satisfied that he's another team's player to speculate over.

black1605
11-21-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm just satisfied that he's another team's player to speculate over.

And we are more than happy to have that "problem".

Draco
11-21-2010, 11:45 PM
And we are more than happy to have that "problem".

Odd that you should quote a word that I didn't use. You got him on the cheap so unless he's taking minutes away from someone who deserves them more then you should be happy. Why not..

black1605
11-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Odd that you should quote a word that I didn't use. You got him on the cheap so unless he's taking minutes away from someone who deserves them more then you should be happy. Why not..

Not quoting you, I was quoting the general feeling people seem to have of Thomas and his contract.

tangent12
11-21-2010, 11:57 PM
This exact same question has come up at various points through his career and the same pattern will continue until he retires. There's a lot of potential there but Tyrus has always been a train wreck. A lot of energy and athleticism wasted by his lack of self control.

You see him having one good game and putting his talents to good use and then you think "He might have finally turned the corner"... but then a few games later you realize it is still the same old Tyrus Thomas. So the question will continue to pop up everytime he does have a type of game that he's supposed to have with the kind of talent he has, but don't be too hopeful about him keeping it up.