PDA

View Full Version : Ken Macha "fired" as Brewers manager

davids22
10-04-2010, 12:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5647680

Not so much fired as the Brewers just not extending his managerial contract. Willie Randolph and Dale Sveum are front runners for the position (if the Brewers FO decides to hire from within the organization).

I say about damn time. Macha was never agressive, EVER. Never wanted to play small ball and always tried for the longball. He was an AL manager on an NL team. He never ever got fired up and only got ejected ONCE in his entire two years as a manager. I hated his bullpen decisions.

I would be more then happy with Willie Randolph as the Brewers manager. Maybe he can get something going with their young core. If Fielder isn't traded in the off-season, then this will be his last year as a Brewer.

I understand Macha came to the team with much less pitching then what we had in our playoff year (we had lost CC and Sheets to free agency). Obviously we would have performed better if we had CC and a healthy Sheets (making Yovanni our #3 pitcher).

And btw, how was this not a thread yet? It's been news for over 12 hours. Guess there's no love for the Brewers on PSD :(

redsox0717
10-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Who are the Brewers? Must be some AAA team.

ClayMatthews
10-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Coming from a boston fan.

ClayMatthews
10-04-2010, 12:54 PM
But this is good news. Excited to see if the brewers go with randolph or if they decide to go elsewhere.

hgtiger32
10-04-2010, 02:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5647680

Not so much fired as the Brewers just not extending his managerial contract. Willie Randolph and Dale Sveum are front runners for the position (if the Brewers FO decides to hire from within the organization).

I say about damn time. Macha was never agressive, EVER. Never wanted to play small ball and always tried for the longball. He was an AL manager on an NL team. He never ever got fired up and only got ejected ONCE in his entire two years as a manager. I hated his bullpen decisions.

I would be more then happy with Willie Randolph as the Brewers manager. Maybe he can get something going with their young core. If Fielder isn't traded in the off-season, then this will be his last year as a Brewer.

I understand Macha came to the team with much less pitching then what we had in our playoff year (we had lost CC and Sheets to free agency). Obviously we would have performed better if we had CC and a healthy Sheets (making Yovanni our #3 pitcher).

And btw, how was this not a thread yet? It's been news for over 12 hours. Guess there's no love for the Brewers on PSD :(

i started one in the brewers forum- thats all that matters...macha doesnt deserve 2 threads.

baseballguy247
10-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Willie Randolph is the man should get the job

ManningToTyree
10-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Randolph's not firey or a good in game manager. He seems to be a nice guy, but he manages his team out of games.look how he did in close pennant races

brewersfan729
10-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Macha was a good strategist, he just couldn't connect with the young players, which is a necessity for a team with so many young players.

baseballguy247
10-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Randolph's not firey or a good in game manager. He seems to be a nice guy, but he manages his team out of games.look how he did in close pennant races

wile with the mets willie did not lose games the players did. He did a good job as the mets manager they have been in a downward spiral ever since. Plus its NY.

baseballguy247
10-04-2010, 09:05 PM
I agree and disagree with this. I like Willie and what he has done with the defense of Escobar and Weeks but I don't want any holdovers anymore. There has been some sort continuity on the staff from year to year for way too long and it hasn't changed the way the team performs. If Willie comes back, the coaching staff won't change at all. Sveum may move into bench coach and then we have the same pitching coach (Rick Peterson)/manger duo the Mets had in their bullpen collapse before Willie got fired. The Brewers need a change in overall management but Doug Melvin is going to get another shot.

If Willie really is the guy they want, why wasn't Macha fired at some point this season for an audition?

Im not a fan of peterson, but i got the feeling that Macha was out all season just a matter of time. Willie was a brewer and he is a classy guy. I just think he can get these guys going in the right direction. No matter what the brew crew needs SP. I also this the prince situation was not helping. I get the feeling he does not feel wanted. When i go to games there i see 80% braun jerseys 10% hart and 10% prince. Its clear that the brewers are Brauns team. 2 years ago when prince was up for arbitration he did not play well when he signed his deal he played great that year. I hate to see the brewers lose Prince. :cry:

GoatMilk
10-04-2010, 09:13 PM
i'm not a Brewer fan, or A's fan, but man I couldnt stand Macha.
good job Milwaukee.

Stay_Swim
10-04-2010, 10:59 PM

HAHAHAH. I wish I had some witty comeback to this, but the Brewers are just pathetic right now. BUT give credit where it's do, this was a good move going forward.

theproof
10-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Yeah, the brewers definitely have some good talent on their team. Just need to get a little bit of pitching.

davids22
10-05-2010, 02:23 AM
^^^Agreed. We have Braun and Fielder who are just the household names, and TYPICALLY should produce 30+ HRs and 100+ RBI every year. (typically because braun only had 25 HR this year)

Then on top of that, we have Corey Hart, Rickie Weeks, and Casey McGehee. All who hit 20+ HRs, and 80+ RBI (Hart and McGehee each over 100 RBI).

Plenty of power and runs produced from the Brewers. Their problems? Inconsistency on offense, relying on the longball WAY TOO MUCH, and the obvious pitching. Not just starting but bullpen as well. The only brightside to our bullpen this year was finding our new closer John Axford. Yovanni has proven he's not really ready to be an ace, and I agree. He's a great pitcher and the best on the staff but he's too young to handle the pressure of a #1 guy. Give him 2 more years and maybe he could be in some Cy Young talks but Randy Wolf was not the guy who was going to take pressure off of Yovanni.

If Brewers had
1. (An Ace)
2. Yovanni
3. Wolf
4. Bush
5. Capuano

I would at least expect us to finish .500. But like every Wisconsin team, we have to rely on the farm system and the draft to build our teams

brewersfan729
10-05-2010, 03:26 AM
I also this the prince situation was not helping. I get the feeling he does not feel wanted.

The Brewers offered him $100 million earlier this year. How much more does he need to feel wanted? An extra $100 million plus a 500 foot bronze statue in front of Miller Park?

Brew Crew
10-05-2010, 11:36 AM
The Brewers offered him $100 million earlier this year. How much more does he need to feel wanted? An extra $100 million plus a 500 foot bronze statue in front of Miller Park?

Yeah...Well I'm sure they threw in a little more then that as a final push to sign him. I'm sick of Fielder saying **** like, "I don't want to leave but it's just business." We are offering him more then enough of money, and if he truly liked the team, the city, and his teammates, (Notably Rickie Weeks who has been friends with him since grade school and is the godfather of Fielder's children) he'd be figuring out a way to stick around. He is so damn worried about his contract that he really slipped this year, and he did the same thing during one of his arbitration years until he got a notable amount of money.

baseballguy247
10-05-2010, 04:22 PM

Fair point. Prince wants RHoward money. The brewers chose Braun over prince with the money they have. Brew crew needs some SP with that $

Pinstripe pride
10-06-2010, 08:39 AM
good bye to Ken "Kenny Charisma" Macha

Brew Crew
10-06-2010, 09:25 AM
good bye to Ken "Kenny Charisma" Macha

"Ahhhhhhh welllllllll when we hit the ball.....ahhhmmmm we tend to score some uhhhhh.....some runs.."
Thanks Kenny.

LaserRider
10-06-2010, 09:34 AM

Amen... you just explained MLB in 9 words. You can insert at least what 8 other teams for the Brewers.

Unless you live in a major market area MLB is a joke. Some of the greatest athletes in the world stuck in a League that should go the way of the dinosaurs.

Many of the premier players of the last 20 years straight up cheaters.

One of the premier hitters of all time banned for gambling while steriod studs dominate the record books.

Don't get me wrong I have to ton of respect for the majority of players and 10 tons of respect for the Twins and what they accomplish year in and year out.

What is the big headline on ESPN online early today? The Yankees are in the post season...WOW what a story. About as relevant as my nephew's weekly school lunch menu.

baseballguy247
10-06-2010, 02:53 PM
They didn't choose Braun over Fielder. Fielder is a Bora$ client so thats entirely why Braun has a deal and Prince doesn't. The Brewers tried and failed for that very reason. They would keep both if Prince would sign but like I said about the agent.

Boras sucks. What i ment is that at the stadium it seems that its clearly brauns team the fans are all for braun and i guess they know prince is leaving thanks to his agent.

Manatoo
10-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Uhhhh.... you want to play smallball with a lineup of Hart Fielder Braun and Mchehee?

brewersfan729
10-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Uhhhh.... you want to play smallball with a lineup of Hart Fielder Braun and Mchehee?

Confuses the hell out of me too. Add Weeks to that too.

I've tried explaining it on the Brewers forum, but you only play small ball when you have really ****** offensive players with no power.

avrpatsfan
10-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Coming from a boston fan.
Coming from a Brewers fan :eyebrow: