PDA

View Full Version : Should players be paid when they incur injuries unrelated to their contracts?

dnewguy
10-03-2010, 11:31 PM
If you're receiving millions to play in the NBA, shouldn't there be a clause that says, if you get injured for any reason that's unrelated to Basketball, you won't be paid for the amount of games missed?

For example, if a player decides to party or take part in risky behaviors and get injured, should the club bare the burden for their risky behaviors?

Slimsim
10-03-2010, 11:41 PM
I can actually see that happening in the future. If the injury is not basketball related Then you won't get paid the amount of games missed

WolvesJagsOs
10-03-2010, 11:46 PM
^yup, i could see it happening.

hotpotato1092
10-03-2010, 11:46 PM
No, if you aren't doing your job because of something that happened outside of company property you shouldn't be paid. Now I'm willing to make exceptions in the serious cases, like if a player was seriously ill or was in a none alcohol induced car accident, but most cases are generally players doing stupid things (i.e the Jay Williams motorcycle crash). If you're dumb enough to drive a motorcycle when you're a pro athlete you don't deserve to get paid when it inevitably goes wrong. That goes for anything of this nature, as non basketball related injuries tend to be due to player stupidity.

dnewguy
10-03-2010, 11:48 PM
No, if you aren't doing your job because of something that happened outside of company property you shouldn't be paid. Now I'm willing to make exceptions in the serious cases, like if a player was seriously ill or was in a none alcohol induced car accident, but most cases are generally players doing stupid things (i.e the Jay Williams motorcycle crash). If you're dumb enough to drive a motorcycle when you're a pro athlete you don't deserve to get paid when it inevitably goes wrong. That goes for anything of this nature, as non basketball related injuries tend to be due to player stupidity.

Agreed.

sixerfixer
10-03-2010, 11:52 PM
If a player takes part in a activity that is forbidden, like Riding a Motorcycle without a helmet, or sky diving, then the NBA team can legally not pay his contract. There is nothing the player can do. Even if the Injury is not career threatning, the team can still void the contract. However once that is done, the player then when healthy is a unrestricted free agent. Now if the accident is a act og god kinda thing, like slipping on the floor at a market or a car accident where it was not your fault, then yes, that players deal is guaranteed, but the NBA Insurance pays it off, not the team.

Wade>You
10-03-2010, 11:53 PM
It will definitely help to put an end to some of the nonsense you see going on. Tyreke Evans I'm looking at you and your high speed chases.

tredigs
10-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Well, I will say that their players unions gives workers compensation at a level that I've definitely never known.

If I break my hand tripping over a bag in my house, I can assure you that I won't be getting 100% compensation for the entirety of my leave from my workplace.

Given that these people are all millionaires (i.e., not going to struggle to pay next months rent if they can't get to work for a few weeks) and their physical health is 100% related to their job fulfillment, I would say that no - they absolutely shouldn't be paid in full for the time they miss.

Unions are powerful, though. This probably won't be changing any time soon.

junion
10-04-2010, 12:30 AM
If it's in the contract that they don't, then they shouldn't get paid. If it's not in the contract, then they should get paid.

Its the organization's fault if they don't include something that makes it clear about those situations.... Or the player's fault (or his agent)... They both sign the contract, meaning they agree to it...

... So I'd say it should go by whatevers on the contract. And sometimes it can even play a role in negotiations.

WolvesJagsOs
10-04-2010, 12:34 AM

Yeah i agree with that.

mynameismo
10-04-2010, 01:32 AM
I agree.

But it's the Players Union that will be tough to crack.

GSW Hoops
10-04-2010, 11:22 AM
No. That's why teams put clauses in contracts that allow teams to terminate their deals when players do something stupid. But they rarely exercise those options on star players because 1. they don't want to upset them and 2. they don't want to lose a star player.

ShaqShoes
10-04-2010, 11:27 AM
If the player partakes in risky behavior like Monta Ellis riding an ATV, then yes I don't think they should get paid.

asandhu23
10-04-2010, 11:29 AM
If the player partakes in risky behavior like Monta Ellis riding an ATV, then yes I don't think they should get paid.

Since when is a moped an ATV?

sep11ie
10-04-2010, 11:42 AM
If a player takes part in a activity that is forbidden, like Riding a Motorcycle without a helmet, or sky diving, then the NBA team can legally not pay his contract. There is nothing the player can do. Even if the Injury is not career threatning, the team can still void the contract. However once that is done, the player then when healthy is a unrestricted free agent. Now if the accident is a act og god kinda thing, like slipping on the floor at a market or a car accident where it was not your fault, then yes, that players deal is guaranteed, but the NBA Insurance pays it off, not the team.

I think if you fall out of a plane, the last thing you need to worry about is if your still gonna get paid.