PDA

View Full Version : Are the Chicago Bulls or the Orlando Magic the Sentimental Underdogs?

D Roses Bulls
10-03-2010, 06:35 PM
It doesn't have the Magic in the title of the story, but it talks about them for like a quarter of the article so I thought they should be. and please dont come in here with this BS that a Bulls fan put this story cause its about his team. its actually a pretty interesting question.

The morning after "The Decision," I wrote up an editorial piece proclaiming my belief that the Miami HEAT would be rooted against more vehemently than any other team in recent NBA history. They're the bad guys—the "Imperial Death Star" as Dan Berstein of WSCR in Chicago recently put it—and many of us already are burnt out on being exposed to 24-hour media coverage on LeBron, D-Wade, and Chris Bosh.

For any of us that have seen a hokey sports movie, though, you know that when there's a bigger, brawnier, more talented team out there serving as the film's antagonist, there has to be a group of scrappy heroes, as well. Bernstein suggests that the Chicago Bulls are it.

It's not that the Bulls are necessarily the most likely team to knock Miami out of the postseason—the L.A. Lakers still hold that designation—just that they are most likely to win over the hearts of America as a team that could topple the Heat.

So many chips are stacked in their favor: they're in one of the top three markets in the league, they're one of the most recognizable brands in professional sports, and they're the most profitable franchise with the NBA's highest attendance numbers. Individually, Chicago's personnel is equally likeable, with Derrick Rose quietly dominating, Joakim Noah hustling and screaming and doing odd things with his hair, and veterans like Carlos Boozer and Kurt Thomas giving this group more confidence than they've had in years. Kyle Korver even adds a little something for ladies.

But why Chicago and not some other Eastern Conference team? Bernstein methodically eliminates several teams for various reasons, most notably Boston (because not a lot of people are rooting for Boston to be good), Milwaukee (solid team, but less personality than Chicago, and it's in tiny market), and Atlanta (they're good again this season, but still not great).

He also dismisses Orlando, but if any other non-Chicago team is going to transform into the league's sentimental underdog this season, it would be the Magic. Yes, Orlando is a relatively small market, but the Magic still get a ton of nationally televised games thanks to Dwight Howard—who American loves, by the way—and let's not forget that they play in the same division and the same state as the evil Miami HEAT. All that and Orlando has recently been to an NBA Finals with essentially the same core they're boasting now.

Will America have more fun rooting for the Bulls to beat Miami than this team? I'm not so sure.

Whoever it is, early in the season you'll start seeing stories about which Eastern Conference teams off to a hot start have the best chance to uproot Miami (partly because every other HEAT story angle will have been exhausted by then). Bernstein seems to believe it'll be Chicago, and it very well could be, but it also could be Orlando and maybe even Milwaukee. Whoever it is, the world already seems open to welcoming some non-Miami team to the NBA Finals in the spring of 2011. So many people already can't wait to root against the NBA's new "bad guys."

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17497#ixzz11L0Mpfhd

llemon
10-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Sentimental?

29$JerZ
10-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Neither

Sir Buckets
10-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Bulls have the advantage of already having a global fanbase, recognizable brand, huge market, annnnd they have likable & talented players, so I don't see why not. Like, we seriously have about as little ego problems as any team in the league could have. Our players work hard and play the right way. We very well could steal the basketball world's hearts. We're so opposite of the Heat.

Magic? Yeah, I could see it, but not as much as the Bulls. Still definitely up there though.

D Roses Bulls
10-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Sentimental?

like i said, i used the actual title of the article that the author gave. i didnt make it up.

heattiltheend94
10-03-2010, 07:25 PM
I say Atlanta is a pretty big underdog. Atleast more so than Bulls or Orlando. Atlanta has only gotten better ever year for the past 3 or 4. (I still think Bulls and Orlando are better than the Hawks)

Raps18-19 Champ
10-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Atlanta isn't going anywhere.

They have done any moves to improve themselves. They have to rely on thier players progression to get better.

footballer2369
10-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Well I hate both teams so....not for me...

D Roses Bulls
10-03-2010, 09:21 PM
does everyone outside of boston really hate the celtics?

footballer2369
10-03-2010, 10:20 PM
I hate the Celtics less than I hate the Bulls.

kjoke
10-03-2010, 10:21 PM
the magic are,,,,,,

D Roses Bulls
10-03-2010, 10:24 PM
the magic are,,,,,,

I kind of think so in a way since they are both in the same state and are being treated right now like the red headed step child.

John Walls Era
10-03-2010, 10:24 PM
I like the Bulls, but most people hate them. I don't like the Magic though. So I would say neither. Having 6 championships will never make that team a sentimental underdog.

jerellh528
10-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Though the C's should be the favorite, I think the bulls could be the underdog to pull through and win the east.

Wade>You
10-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Bucks in the East. I can't imagine people rooting for a whiny Magic team or a tough talking Bulls team. Bucks are quiet and will be good.

Jazz in the West.

Mplsman
10-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Bulls should have a better shot.

D Roses Bulls
10-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Bucks in the East. I can't imagine people rooting for a whiny Magic team or a tough talking Bulls team. Bucks are quiet and will be good.

Jazz in the West.

I havent really heard anyone from the bulls say anything