PDA

View Full Version : Which rule would you implement/change in the NBA if you could?

kArSoN RyDaH
10-02-2010, 05:50 AM
simple question. if you had to change one thing or add a rule what would it be?

for me i think i would like to institute a challenge system similar to the nfl where each team recieves 2 challenges where they could challenge a call and if they use both and get them overturned then they recieve a 3rd. i think it would be good for the league and in playoffs it would eliminate a lot of the "refs were on their side" argument.

what would you add/change?

JustinLafferty
10-02-2010, 06:01 AM
I got this revolutionary rule....like will change the game forever.... you ready for it? THEY ACTUALLY ENFORCE THE BASIC RULES OF BASKETBALL!!! haha you know walk, travel, not given the superstars phony calls and making them earn their fouls...I hate the fact that the NBA doesn't enforce basic rules...it's created a game that is more like playground basketball than real basketball.... which is why we struggle sometimes in international play...that and the true zone that int'l play allows...

RedRicanoBx
10-02-2010, 07:29 AM

for me i think i would like to institute a challenge system similar to the nfl where each team recieves 2 challenges where they could challenge a call and if they use both and get them overturned then they recieve a 3rd. i think it would be good for the league and in playoffs it would eliminate a lot of the "refs were on their side" argument.

x2

RedRicanoBx
10-02-2010, 07:30 AM
I got this revolutionary rule....like will change the game forever.... you ready for it? THEY ACTUALLY ENFORCE THE BASIC RULES OF BASKETBALL!!! haha you know walk, travel, not given the superstars phony calls and making them earn their fouls...I hate the fact that the NBA doesn't enforce basic rules...it's created a game that is more like playground basketball than real basketball.... which is why we struggle sometimes in international play...that and the true zone that int'l play allows...

sad but you are true im sick of seeing some people take like 3 and a half steps to dunk.. smh but yeah just enforce the rules seriously.... sometimes its a game changer....

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Traveling...Oh wait a minute:rolleyes:

3 replay options for each team

ombada
10-02-2010, 09:07 AM
take away over and back. i dont really see the point of it. If anything it would give the players more space to create (like in soccer)

on a side note, i hate the 3 seconds in the key call. both offensive and defensive.

Russollini
10-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Bring back the contact!

JDMac80
10-02-2010, 09:58 AM
running clock, no refs, players call their own fouls. the longer you argue, the less bball you play. just like intramurals in college.

likemystylez
10-02-2010, 10:44 AM
take away over and back. i dont really see the point of it. If anything it would give the players more space to create (like in soccer)

on a side note, i hate the 3 seconds in the key call. both offensive and defensive.

3 seconds in the key is a rule that makes sense. basketball looks very ugly when there are no cuts or penatration. Clogging up the key also increases the chance of injuries.

likemystylez
10-02-2010, 10:46 AM
The charge call should basically be eliminated from the game. Atleast charge calls that are based on the defender running to a spot first. If a player deliberately lowers his shoulder or pushes off with his free hand in mid air- then they can call that. But when a defender just runs underneith a guy in the air then points to the dotted line to say he was outside. THATS NOT DEFENSE!!

likemystylez
10-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Technical Fouls- this is especially true in the play offs.

When a player gets a technical foul for complaining about a call made by the ref. (a call- not a non call). He should be given the technical foul, after the game these calls should be reviewed. Before the player is fined or assigned a point towards suspension.... they should see if the player was justified in complaining. If the player was correct in what he was arguing- it seems unconstitutional to discourage him from standing up for himself and the truth.

However- if the player is downright wrong!!!- fine him 5 times as much and suspend him for one game immediately.

I think this will actually cut down on the complaining to the point when players only complain when they are sure they are right. It was also add a lot of integrity to the game.

PS- I would also like to see the officials have to answer at press confrences when they make bad calls. There should be some public accountability. I dont think this will ever happen but I think it could prevent future/current Tim Donaghy situations

eXpLiiCt
10-02-2010, 11:02 AM
I see so many people travel when I look at there feet not even funny

Wade>You
10-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Did anyone else notice last season they would call a jumpball for anything? I remember before you can wrestle with a guy for the ball for about a good 5 or 8 seconds and the refs would let you play until one of y'all had possession. Now, a blocked shot was grounds for a jumpball.

Jemikz9Clutch
10-02-2010, 11:29 AM
no more handcheck violation

North Yorker
10-02-2010, 11:44 AM
No shot clock :)

ink
10-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Intentionally trying to draw fouls should be FTs for the player that the shooter jumps into. The foul should rightly be charged to the shooter artificially trying to draw the foul. Jarrett Jack has this move he does when attempting three's which is just a flagrant way to draw a foul. He fakes the shot, gets the defender to leave his feet, then leans or barges into the defender while he's in the air. It's obvious he's the one who is fouling and initiating contact, and almost everyone does it in one way or another. It's an abuse of the rule and players get rewarded for it all the time. The shouldn't be allowed to intentionally create contact. It's a joke.

Sadds The Gr8
10-02-2010, 11:56 AM

this would be pointless...what would be "challenge-able"?

no more handcheck violation

i agree with this.

Sadds The Gr8
10-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Intentionally trying to draw fouls should be FTs for the player that the shooter jumps into. The foul should rightly be charged to the shooter artificially trying to draw the foul. Jarrett Jack has this move he does when attempting three's which is just a flagrant way to draw a foul. He fakes the shot, gets the defender to leave his feet, then leans or barges into the defender while he's in the air. It's obvious he's the one who is fouling and initiating contact, and almost everyone does it in one way or another. It's an abuse of the rule and players get rewarded for it all the time. The shouldn't be allowed to intentionally create contact. It's a joke.

i see what u mean. i think that if the player that pump fakes still shoots straight up as if they were taking a normal jump shot i think they should be rewarded the foul. but when the shooter CLEARLY jumps forward to initiate contact it shouldn't be called. I'm not too worried over this rule though because it doesn't occur that often.

Supa
10-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Widening the sideline a few inches, to eliminate players stepping out when they try to drive in from the 3 point lines. Happens too many times.

Penalty for flopping; although there is probably no solution for that, since it's a judgment call.

---

kjoke
10-02-2010, 12:01 PM
adding a farm system like in mlb, so insteead of having players rot on the bench, ba able to send them out on the d-league and not have them count under ur 15 man roster

pd1dish
10-02-2010, 12:18 PM

im going to ask the same question that a previous poster asked...what would be challengable??? if a guys foot was on the 3 point line? if there was actually a foul on the play?

i just dont see it working. the nba already does a very good job at going to replay for 3 point shots and getting the correct time on the clock. challenges would just slow the game down. i had this same idea for baseball because they are talking about implementing replay. i said 1 challenge for each team and if you win you get another. you could challenge fair/foul balls, safe/not safe, catch or not a catch (although umps never really get that wrong). if neither team has a challenge, then they wouldnt use replay at all.

i think that a good rule change for the nba would be to go to 5 fouls is fouling out. its how it is in college and international play. its too easy to rack up the fouls in the nba and really not have to worry about being in foul trouble. it would keep players from fouling so much and it would speed up the game a little bit with less free throws and breaks in action.

SouthSideRookie
10-02-2010, 12:27 PM

This would eliminate so many crucial mistakes by the refs.

3 seconds in the key is a rule that makes sense. basketball looks very ugly when there are no cuts or penatration. Clogging up the key also increases the chance of injuries.

This.

The charge call should basically be eliminated from the game. Atleast charge calls that are based on the defender running to a spot first. If a player deliberately lowers his shoulder or pushes off with his free hand in mid air- then they can call that. But when a defender just runs underneith a guy in the air then points to the dotted line to say he was outside. THATS NOT DEFENSE!!

Derek Fisher and Luis Scola say :badidea:

ink
10-02-2010, 12:47 PM
i see what u mean. i think that if the player that pump fakes still shoots straight up as if they were taking a normal jump shot i think they should be rewarded the foul. but when the shooter CLEARLY jumps forward to initiate contact it shouldn't be called. I'm not too worried over this rule though because it doesn't occur that often.

Some variation on this happens all the time. Players are constantly bending the rules trying to draw fouls. If we can see it, refs can call it.

NYKalltheway
10-02-2010, 12:59 PM

:cool:

NYKNYGNYY
10-02-2010, 01:19 PM
i personally think the nba is fine, i dont see challenging really working, what would you challenge?

astrosmaniac
10-02-2010, 01:34 PM
see the blue link in my sig for some of the best answers ever posted in a thread just like this like nearly 2 years ago

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-02-2010, 01:50 PM
see the blue link in my sig for some of the best answers ever posted in a thread just like this like nearly 2 years ago

thanks maniac, I was looking for that thread

:laugh2:

Hawkeye15
10-02-2010, 01:52 PM
kill hand checking, superstar calls, and ease up on the flagrants and let some players take some punishment. Tony Parker led the NBA in points in the paint for two seasons a little while back, and there is NO WAY that should happen. I also think if they could determine how to identifiy a flop, it should be penalized. And what Ink said, when players upfake, then initiate the contact to draw a foul, it should be offensive

astrosmaniac
10-02-2010, 02:19 PM
thanks maniac, I was looking for that thread

:laugh2:

whenever i need to feel better i just read that thread. i miss shieldsz and kegger

The L Train
10-02-2010, 02:28 PM
No prime time TV specials to announce where free agents will sign.

NYKalltheway
10-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Zone defense
Handchecking

-> Basketball game instead of business. Less commercial time outs

mynameismo
10-03-2010, 01:52 AM
Playoffs suspension due to number of technical fouls. Suspend or fine them during the regular season, but in the playoffs? Come on.

If they don't like players complaining, then fix the call consistency.. not throw out T's all the time.

jetsfan28
10-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Widening the sideline a few inches, to eliminate players stepping out when they try to drive in from the 3 point lines. Happens too many times.

Penalty for flopping; although there is probably no solution for that, since it's a judgment call.

---
This. I see no reason not to make the court 1-2 inches wider.

Only problem is, the defense is still committing a foul there. I guess maybe a double foul could work.

Zone defense
Handchecking

-> Basketball game instead of business. Less commercial time outs

Also, this.

ink
10-03-2010, 02:08 AM
Only problem is, the defense is still committing a foul there.

Like Hawk said, it just needs to be called as an offensive foul. They need to crack down on it. It's just like diving in other sports. Faking fouls.

Phenomenonsense
10-03-2010, 02:11 AM

If a player is in the air before a defender sets up, it is a defensive foul.

Phenomenonsense
10-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Like Hawk said, it just needs to be called as an offensive foul. They need to crack down on it. It's just like diving in other sports. Faking fouls.

Bull****. All other sports have some form of diving/faking for calls. It's part of the game. If your hand is in the wrong position and Billups raises up through it and jacks up a 3 pointer, it's your fault. You both know the rules. You're pressing your luck, putting your hand out farther than it should be. Don't complain about getting caught for speeding. You knew the risks.

ink
10-03-2010, 02:31 AM
Bull****. All other sports have some form of diving/faking for calls.

Exactly. And they get called for diving in other sports too. The faker gets the penalty, which is how it should be. You don't have to agree. The thread asks what people would change. If you don't agree that's your prerogative.

DenButsu
10-03-2010, 03:27 AM
Ts for flopping.

And kill the dress code.

Wade>You
10-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Turtle Necks.

eep832000
10-03-2010, 05:12 AM
technical fouls!player and coach emotion shouldn't be suppressed at all

jimbobjarree
10-03-2010, 05:15 AM
bahaha the return of the epic thread topic!

need mane and iodine back :(

found it! http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309445

astrosmaniac
10-03-2010, 11:04 AM
i already posted that jimbob (or at least the link in my sig) :pity: trying to take my credit

Hawkeye15
10-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Bull****. All other sports have some form of diving/faking for calls. It's part of the game. If your hand is in the wrong position and Billups raises up through it and jacks up a 3 pointer, it's your fault. You both know the rules. You're pressing your luck, putting your hand out farther than it should be. Don't complain about getting caught for speeding. You knew the risks.

that is different. We are speaking specifically of a player upfaking, his defender jumping in the air, and then the offensive player diving into them, initiating the contact. There are a few players who do this all the time. Its b.s., and should be an offensive foul. Or at the very least, a no call.

jetsfan28
10-03-2010, 11:24 AM

I agree that it is an offensive foul. But the defensive player is still committing a violation of the rules that is clearly a foul by not jumping straight up and down. The most you can do with that is call it a double foul, you can't reward the defense when they did in fact break the rules.

that is different. We are speaking specifically of a player upfaking, his defender jumping in the air, and then the offensive player diving into them, initiating the contact. There are a few players who do this all the time. Its b.s., and should be an offensive foul. Or at the very least, a no call.

That works too, and there should definitely be more no calls in general.

bahama0811
10-03-2010, 11:27 AM
They need to be harder on flopping. It shouldn't be part of the game.

ink
10-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I agree that it is an offensive foul. But the defensive player is still committing a violation of the rules that is clearly a foul by not jumping straight up and down. The most you can do with that is call it a double foul, you can't reward the defense when they did in fact break the rules.

No, as Hawk and I have both pointed out, the offensive player upfakes then moves INTO the defender. The defender still jumps straight up and down, it's just that the offensive player has moved under him. It's a cheap strategy to draw a foul and there's no excuse for the refs not calling the offensive foul here. But it goes uncalled all the time. I'm also fine with no foul, but I hate seeing games decided at the FT line by unearned fouls. FTs in general are abused. I can understand that a player that attacks the rim is going to get his fouls, but the number of manufactured fouls is ridiculous, slows down the game, and has been used in the past by unethical refs to cover points spreads. It needs to be cleaned up, and the offensive player jumping into the defender is just the most flagrant example of abuse.

Gators123
10-03-2010, 02:02 PM
No blood, No foul.

jetsfan28
10-03-2010, 02:03 PM
No, as Hawk and I have both pointed out, the offensive player upfakes then moves INTO the defender. The defender still jumps straight up and down, it's just that the offensive player has moved under him. It's a cheap strategy to draw a foul and there's no excuse for the refs not calling the offensive foul here. But it goes uncalled all the time. I'm also fine with no foul, but I hate seeing games decided at the FT line by unearned fouls. FTs in general are abused. I can understand that a player that attacks the rim is going to get his fouls, but the number of manufactured fouls is ridiculous, slows down the game, and has been used in the past by unethical refs to cover points spreads. It needs to be cleaned up, and the offensive player jumping into the defender is just the most flagrant example of abuse.

If he jumps straight up and down, I agree. But usually the refs correctly don't make a call if they jump straight up and down, mot of the time it's called a foul because they don't go straight up.

JWO35
10-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Playoff seeding wouldn't be based on what conference you're in...

tkshy
10-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Less timeouts so the last 2 min doesnt take 8 hours

td0tsfinest
10-03-2010, 02:33 PM
They need to be harder on flopping. It shouldn't be part of the game.

Definitely agree. Soccer isn't very lenient on the situation, often giving yellow cards for some situations. I don't mind refs giving out techs for the basketball equivalent.

Russollini
10-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Hand Check must go, Call the Travel, the "left the bench in a brawl suspension", and forearm contact.

Overturn all of this:

"In 1999, the league eliminated contact by a defender with his hands and forearms both in the backcourt and frontcourt, except on offensive players who caught the ball below the free throw line extended. Defenses were also prohibited from "re-routing" players off the ball. This freed up perimeter players who used screens to get open. Nor were defenders able any more to grab or impede offensive players setting screens. In 2001, the defensive three-second rule eliminated defenders camping out in the lane away from their offensive man to help."

That came from this article, which is pretty good:
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/04/22/aldridge.defenses/index.html

Bring back the "Bad Boys", the old Heat and Knicks, the lock down defense and the jump shot! I am tired of one on one and people running through the lane. I am a Heat fan, and I know that this would negatively impact us, but who cares. Bron goes through the lane like a freight train untouched. That is not basketball that is a dunk contest. I want the D to make them work for it.

Russollini
10-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Less timeouts so the last 2 min doesnt take 8 hours

YES PLEASE! It takes away from the excitement.