PDA

View Full Version : Kenyon Martin takin some shots at Nuggets management

spreadeagle
10-01-2010, 01:31 PM
I got hurt on company time, so Ill heal on company time. - Shaquille ONeal

Fans and media sometimes wonder if certain players are taking a little too long to return from injury. Its something that often cant be proven, except when the front-office slips by hinting that this may be true.

Players are usually far too smart and cautious to ever divulge this. Apparently, this memo never reached the desk of one Kenyon Martin, who fully admits that hes in no rush to get back on the court.

Martin upset that the Denver Nuggets have yet to offer him a contract extension reasons that theres no point in risking further injury by playing so soon following knee surgery, with so much uncertainty surrounding his financial situation.

Kenyon admits that if he had his money, hed be playing ball right now. Yes, he really said this. Out loud. And to the media.

The Denver Post and FanHouse have the quotes:

If he had an extension, Id be playing right now, Martin said. Im not rushing, whatsoever. The day I come back is the day I come back. Im in the last year of my deal, we all know it. Aint nobody in a hurry to give me one, so Im not going to be in a hurry to come back. Think about it: Aint nobody in a hurry to give me a contract, so why would I be in a hurry to rush back and risk further injury. Makes all the sense in the world, right? Trust me, Ive thought about it plenty.

I didnt get hurt on my own. I got hurt playing basketball. I didnt get hurt me doing something I wasnt supposed to be doing. I got hurt playing basketball. Overuse, is what the doctor told me. I got a tear in my patella. I didnt get that nowhere else but playing for the Nuggets last year. Up to that point I thought I was playing pretty well.

In an injury-free world from here on out, Martin says he would like to play until hes 38 years old. Martin, who has averaged 12.8 points and 7.0 rebounds in 323 games with the Nuggets, says hes looking for respect from an organization that hes played hurt for and given all of what he had when he could.

As if new Nuggets VP of basketball operations Masai Ujiri didnt already have enough problems keeping him up at night.

The 32-year old Kenyon Martin is in the final year of his deal, netting himself $16.5 million this season to basically chill and hang out until a new deal materializes. Nice work, if you can get it. http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/10/kenyon-martin-taking-his-sweet-time-to-rehab-from-surgery/

Contract disputes amongst teams and players this NBA offseason has created turmoil throughout the league, especially with the impending possibility of a lockout. Kenyon Martin seems to be heading down the same path.

K-Mart is the second highest-paid player on the Nuggets scheduled to make $16.5 million this season and is entering the final year of the $90 million contract he signed back in 2004. Throughout his career, hes never shied away from speaking his mind, and now believes that the Nuggets gave new signee Al Harrington his money:

I have no problem with Al. I love Al. Weve known each other for 10, 11 years now, Martin told the Associated Press. Me and that man play the same position. I just feel they could have extended that offer to me. I feel with what Ive done and what weve accomplished as a team around here got overlooked. Read more http://dimemag.com/2010/10/kenyon-martin-denver-gave-al-harrington-my-money/#more-56723

Hawkeye15
10-01-2010, 01:34 PM
um, they have already paid you $75 million to be a below average PF Kenyon. Quit crying

Gators123
10-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Never been a fan of his. Sounds like a *******

JordansBulls
10-01-2010, 01:47 PM
um, they have already paid you $75 million to be a below average PF Kenyon. Quit crying

This. I mean would he rather he never played in the NBA so that he could be healthy?

Mudvayne91
10-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Nugs management may have been wrong in the past, but not this time.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-01-2010, 02:07 PM
wow:speechless:

he will never get an extension from them, he will be traded in February

Hawkeye15
10-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Nugs management may have been wrong in the past, but not this time.

oh for sure. Um, Kenyon. Why would they sign you to an extension when you are twice as valuable as an expiring all season?

Utahjazzfan18
10-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Did it ever occur to him that if they trade Melo, they'll most likely be rebuilding with young players? His last contract was ridiculous and he's still crying about getting paid...

Journeywithin23
10-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Man Martin is such a f'ing punk after giving him 75 mill Whig he didn't deserve his out there still whinyiny. Shoot as of know I would trade him for a piece of toast atleast the piece of goats wouldn't whine so damn much . Come on ujiri get rid of him

Journeywithin23
10-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Man typing on a iPhone causes so many errors lol

TheBallerGuru
10-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Man Martin is such a f'ing punk after giving him 75 mill Whig he didn't deserve his out there still whinyiny. Shoot as of know I would trade him for a piece of toast atleast the piece of goats wouldn't whine so damn much . Come on ujiri get rid of him

Even though if POed Jason Kidd and all Nets fans like crazy, NJ management knew that K-Mart wasn't worth a max deal back in 2004 and even though it didn't seem like it at the time, trading him was a smart move. K-Mart is a fun player to watch but he always thinks he is worth more than he is.

John Walls Era
10-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Too funny. Did Kidd get a cut of his last salary btw?

TheBallerGuru
10-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Probably a cut of Byron Scott's salary too. :D

pebloemer
10-01-2010, 03:30 PM
He may sound like a dick by saying things like this, but he makes sense:

Aint nobody in a hurry to give me a contract, so why would I be in a hurry to rush back and risk further injury. Makes all the sense in the world, right? Trust me, Ive thought about it plenty

Basketball is his livelihood, why would he risk getting injured when his contract is about to expiring. His number one priority for getting a new contract would be health. No one will take a risk on him unless he shows he is healthy. I really don't think he is out of line for thinking about himself here. The franchise and the player are moving in different directions, he has a right to look out for himself.

Hawkeye15
10-01-2010, 03:36 PM
He may sound like a dick by saying things like this, but he makes sense:

Basketball is his livelihood, why would he risk getting injured when his contract is about to expiring. His number one priority for getting a new contract would be health. No one will take a risk on him unless he shows he is healthy. I really don't think he is out of line for thinking about himself here. The franchise and the player are moving in different directions, he has a right to look out for himself.

while we all clearly understand this, he has enough money for a lifetime at this point. If he squandered it, that is on him. But the very fact that he says this, while making $75 million in Denver, to be a below average starting PF, is mind blowing. When your fan base makes $50,000 a year on average, what do you think their response will be when a man making $16 million to play a game says things like this? What makes him think anyone would WANT to give him a deal? And if he paid attention to the business side, he must realize at this point he is an attractive expiring, and his team will view him that way until the chips fall or he proves he is worth keeping. The Nuggets are entering this season in a bad place. The Melo situation (which I think will cool now), and the very fact that they already have KMart putting himself and his money before the team is not going to jumpstart team chemistry in the locker room.

Kenyon, you have made $92 million in your basketball career. Why don't you just show some gratitude to the team that paid you this money, and go earn your next deal instead of waiting for it to be handed to you

SouthSideRookie
10-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Did it ever occur to him that if they trade Melo, they'll most likely be rebuilding with young players? His last contract was ridiculous and he's still crying about getting paid...

Especially when you consider how injury prone he's been :facepalm:

Man typing on a iPhone causes so many errors lol

Try an Evo4g :)

pebloemer
10-01-2010, 03:54 PM
while we all clearly understand this, he has enough money for a lifetime at this point. If he squandered it, that is on him. But the very fact that he says this, while making $75 million in Denver, to be a below average starting PF, is mind blowing. When your fan base makes $50,000 a year on average, what do you think their response will be when a man making $16 million to play a game says things like this? What makes him think anyone would WANT to give him a deal? And if he paid attention to the business side, he must realize at this point he is an attractive expiring, and his team will view him that way until the chips fall or he proves he is worth keeping. The Nuggets are entering this season in a bad place. The Melo situation (which I think will cool now), and the very fact that they already have KMart putting himself and his money before the team is not going to jumpstart team chemistry in the locker room.

Kenyon, you have made $92 million in your basketball career. Why don't you just show some gratitude to the team that paid you this money, and go earn your next deal instead of waiting for it to be handed to you

Because he interprets "earning it" as rushing his recovery. This is his body and his line of work at stake, with 0 job security. If he was healthy and just being lazy because he didn't have a new contract yet, then I would be more critical of him for the attitude. If Denver is looking to resign him, then not rushing his recovery is in fact best for the team. If not, it is best for himself. How much money he has made in the past is quite irrelevent. He is thinking forward. He can be looking at possible rings to win, being a part of more championship runs, etc. If he rushes his recovery and gets injured again because of it, he loses another big chunk of his career.

What he shouldn't be doing though is chirping to the media about it. It is a bit of an unecessary jab at management. But the content of what he is saying is fine with me.

Hawkeye15
10-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Because he interprets "earning it" as rushing his recovery. This is his body and his line of work at stake, with 0 job security. If he was healthy and just being lazy because he didn't have a new contract yet, then I would be more critical of him for the attitude. If Denver is looking to resign him, then not rushing his recovery is in fact best for the team. If not, it is best for himself. How much money he has made in the past is quite irrelevent. He is thinking forward. He can be looking at possible rings to win, being a part of more championship runs, etc. If he rushes his recovery and gets injured again because of it, he loses another big chunk of his career.

What he shouldn't be doing though is chirping to the media about it. It is a bit of an unecessary jab at management. But the content of what he is saying is fine with me.

then he shouldn't make comments about how if management gave him a new deal, he would be out there right now.
As I said, large expirings are very valuable. Kenyon is not worth of resigning and taking that chip away. If he doesn't realize this, than he should go take a gander at his numbers and games played over the last number of years, stfu, and earn a new deal
In the world of athletics, injuries happen. If you are not able to play, and play well, you are going to be history at some point.

Hawkeye15
10-01-2010, 03:59 PM
If Martin were 1 billion percentage healthy I still wouldn't extend him until he proves he can still be a good starting PF. And I wouldn't even entertain extending him with the Nuggets future in limbo.

pebloemer
10-01-2010, 04:11 PM
then he shouldn't make comments about how if management gave him a new deal, he would be out there right now.
As I said, large expirings are very valuable. Kenyon is not worth of resigning and taking that chip away. If he doesn't realize this, than he should go take a gander at his numbers and games played over the last number of years, stfu, and earn a new deal
In the world of athletics, injuries happen. If you are not able to play, and play well, you are going to be history at some point.

I am definitely not saying Denver should extend him. I agree the expiring would be more valuable at this point. My point is that he shouldn't be forcing himself to rush, especially at this stage in his career, with his current contract situation.

However, you mentioned:

You are absolutely right about that comment. Those statements from him aren't consistent with my reasons not to rush back from injuries and it looks very poor on him making statements like that.

If Martin were 1 billion percentage healthy I still wouldn't extend him.

Lol, curious what you mean by that.

Hawkeye15
10-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Lol, curious what you mean by that.

Denver may be blowing it up by midseason if they falter. Why would you resign an aging vet, with a huge juicy expiring, to a future deal? Now, if Kenyon said, "I would love to get an extension, and I will take the mid level type money", Denver would be wise to think about it. But if I am Nugget management, that expiring is far more valuable to me than making my 13/6 PF who misses 20+ games a year and hasn't had an NBA average PER in years, happy

Hawkeye15
10-01-2010, 04:16 PM
trust me, I agree with you Peb, on anyone not rushing back from injury. But its players like KMart that turn fans away from the sport. Shut up KMart. Heal up and earn a deal, or go away

llemon
10-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Even though if POed Jason Kidd and all Nets fans like crazy, NJ management knew that K-Mart wasn't worth a max deal back in 2004 and even though it didn't seem like it at the time, trading him was a smart move.

Rod Thorn's finest hour, bluffing Kiki out of three 1st rd draft picks.

TheBallerGuru
10-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Rod Thorn's finest hour, bluffing Kiki out of three 1st rd draft picks.

That and getting Vince Carter from Toronto for essentially a bologna sandwich and a bag of chips. :cheers:

llemon
10-01-2010, 04:45 PM
That and getting Vince Carter from Toronto for essentially a bologna sandwich and a bag of chips. :cheers:

Carter for a bag of chips sounds like a even trade, if the bag is half finished.

rabzouz 96
10-01-2010, 09:09 PM

its not like it would make a big differnce to their record if hed workout...
organizations do whats best for them so players do whats best for them. hes just dumb to speak it out publicly but everythings perfectly normal here.

Rafer17
10-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Dude is a huge thug

drew_ellis_23
10-01-2010, 11:11 PM
um yeah get your *** back on the court and honor your contract. Harrington is a much better scorer then K Mart and to even expect a contract like what he signed is rediculous. 13 points and 7 boards a game deserves about 5 million a year.

IBleedPurple
10-02-2010, 02:02 AM

Exactly.....

"My patella tear was from overuse".....What were all the other injuries from? Have you ever thought about maybe you are an injury prone player? How many seasons have you been in Denver and not been injured?

kikeyanez
10-02-2010, 02:19 AM
im just glad he didint go sprewell and say i need to feed my kids lmao

zambo4president
10-02-2010, 02:51 AM
K Mart was a number 1 pick once upon a time:laugh2: