PDA

View Full Version : The Hockey Writer's Top 100 Prospect Rankings

jetsfan89
09-30-2010, 04:57 PM
So far they've released 51-100, two Rangers prospects made it.

77 Ryan McDonagh NYR D 2007-12th

One-Timer: McDonagh came over to the Rangers in last season’s trade of Scott Gomez to the Canadiens. Ryan possesses very good mobility to go with his good size. He has a mean streak and potential to log plenty of ice time in all game situations. He is defensively focused first and foremost, but is not without offensive upside.

He recently told Ryan Dixon of The Hockey News:

“First, I try to be a good leader, good character guy, someone who works hard. On the ice, I want to be solid in my own end for sure, I don’t want to be on for goals-against and then use my skating ability to create some offense and jump up in the play and make something happen.”

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospect-rankings-part-1-76-to-100/

58 Dylan McIlrath NYR D 2010-10th

One-Timer: Although I was high on McIlrath heading into the draft, even the Rangers surprise me when they grabbed him at 10th overall with the likes of Cam Fowler and Brandon Gormley still on the board. “The Undertaker”, as he has been referred to by more than one scout, had a meteoric rise up the draft rankings of pro scouting services this past season.

To be known as the nastiest and most intimidating player in the WHL is one thing. To gain that moniker as a 17 year is quite another; in fact, simply unheard of. McIlrath accomplished just that.

As I watched McIlrath in the WHL playoffs against the talented Calgary Hitmen, I got a glimpse of what an absolute force this young blueliner can be. Not only is he a freight train of a load physically, the kid can skate and has impressive speed. Carrying the puck, if he can’t go around you, he’s going to go through you! He also has a howitzer of a slapshot and an impressive wrist shot in his arsenal as well.

His defensive skills are already impressive and the ability to deliver momentum shifting monumental hits is reason to get excited. The two-way potential he exhibited this season, especially in the second half, only makes him all the more intriguing.

Worst case scenario, he becomes a shutdown physical defenseman enforcer who can skate. Give him time and have patience and you likely have a guy who can contribute offensively as well.

He has improved leads and bounds over the past two seasons, and I suspect he has just begun to tap into that potential.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospect-rankings-part-2-51-to-75/

I suspect that Kreider, Stepan, and Grachev will be in the top 50 then.

Redfish
09-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Love that summary of McIlrath; am most pleased about the consistent comments on how strong of a skater he is. That will carry him a long way during his developmental years.

commonsense12
09-30-2010, 05:45 PM
I am excited about McIlrath also. Its been a long time since i saw someone get destroyed in open ice. I think the last time was Mike Keane laying out Lafontaine and ending his career. To bad they were both Rangers :facepalm:

SLY WILLIAMS
09-30-2010, 07:31 PM
I liked the way people described Dylans game from the night we drafted him. :)

nyrlamonte
10-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Makes the selection of McIlrath over Fowler and Gormley that much better. Like what was said after the draft we, we have a Fowler and Gormley in Del Zotto, we do not have a McIlrath.

McDonagh's review also seems to be dead on. He's a tough kid and very solid in his own end...

It's exciting to see how our defense is developing...it's an outstanding young group that all seem to add something a little different. In a few years, with Henrik still in his prime you gotta love what's happening here

Staal
Girardi
Del Zotto
McDonagh
Vaentenko
McIlrath

messleetch94
10-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Stephan, Kreider, Grachev, and possibly Bourqe cracking the top 50. We would have had another one with Cherepanov. RIP.

Rangers in 7
10-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Cherepanov wouldnt be on that list, because he already would have been on the team nd not considered a prospect anymore

messleetch94
10-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Cherepanov wouldnt be on that list, because he already would have been on the team nd not considered a prospect anymore

This is true. Good point. It has been a couple of years since his passing.

IAMNYR
10-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Chris Kreider NYR F 2009-19th

One-Timer: From my 2009 Draft Preview:

High schooler has NHL frame and possesses a great touch around the net. The power forward is also a beautiful skater — likely the best skater in the draft and could even go up and handle himself against theNHL’s best. He’ll need some time to develop, but is an intriguing sleeper. From various scouting reports, he is noted to see the ice well, is a good playmaker, and has a nice shot with a quick release.

On the surface, Kreider’s production did not blow anyone away last season. However, Kreider’s parts are more than a sum of his numbers. He tied for the team lead for USA in goals at the WJCs with 6 – which was very impressive. In the second half of the season, after scoring just 5 points in 14 games, Kreider had 13 goals and 5 assists for 18 points in 24 games for the Boston College Eagles.

27 Derek Stepan NYR F 2008-51st

One-Timer: To say Stepan’s stock has sky rocketed this past season, might even be an understatement. He continues to make headlines this preseason, as Rotoworld notes:

“Derek Stepan recorded a goal and an assist in New York’s 5-1 win over Detroit on Wednesday night. He lost 10 of 15 faceoffs in the contest, but is challenging for a roster spot to start the season.”

All he did last season was captain Team USA to gold at the WJCs, leading the tournament in scoring along the way with 14 points in 7 games and a plus 9. All he did in the NCAA was lead Wisconsin in scoring and helped bring them to within one game of the national championship.

Though not overly big, Stepan is deceptively strong. He is an excellent playmaker, savvy puckhandler and very poised. Derek is also an effective defensive forward, making him an all-around threat.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospect-rankings-part-26-to-50/