PDA

View Full Version : Name a Player Whose "Prime" Ended Last Season

GSW Hoops
09-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Here's my suggestion: I think Kobe Bryant is now "past his prime." Being on the wrong side of 30 with a lot of mileage on his body, injuries are slowly catching up with him. Having said that, Kobe is still a top 3 player in the NBA and a perennial MVP candidate.

What does everyone else think? Which players saw their "prime" end last season?

DLeeicious
09-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Wade

Ebbs
09-30-2010, 03:35 PM
agreed Kobe is on the decline

kswissdaf
09-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Kobe

barreleffact
MUST we have another Kobe Bryant thread? Why not talk about Duncan, Dirk, Johnson who has a terrible salary, Brandon Jennings, or Wall who people are convince shouldnt be ranked at all until he plays a game which is a dumb argument considering that is like saying players such as kwame brown are better just due to experience. Why not talk about the futrure of the clippers, or even Blake Griffin or how KG is a douche and a very declining player yet is still overrated. Even Brandon Roy or Lamarcus aldridge who still has yet to have a solid rebounding year although he posts good shooting percentages, or Kevin love's inability to get any play time.

Wait. My bad! Lets talk about Kobe, Lebron, The heat, and Melo. Kevin Durant on occasion and Rose. Anything else to discuss would be uncivilized

barreleffact
edit: double post

kArSoN RyDaH
09-30-2010, 03:43 PM
hmm i wonder why this thread was created.

who else is there honestly to talk about to be "past their prime"?

no one.

ShaqShoes
09-30-2010, 03:44 PM
MUST you say the say thing twice?

NYKNYGNYY
09-30-2010, 03:44 PM
MUST we have another Kobe Bryant thread? Why not talk about Duncan, Dirk, Johnson who has a terrible salary, Brandon Jennings, or Wall who people are convince shouldnt be ranked at all until he plays a game which is a dumb argument considering that is like saying players such as kwame brown are better just due to experience. Why not talk about the futrure of the clippers, or even Blake Griffin or how KG is a douche and a very declining player yet is still overrated. Even Brandon Roy or Lamarcus aldridge who still has yet to have a solid rebounding year although he posts good shooting percentages, or Kevin love's inability to get any play time.

Wait. My bad! Lets talk about Kobe, Lebron, The heat, and Melo. Kevin Durant on occasion and Rose. Anything else to discuss would be uncivilized

its players whos PRIME ENDED last season:facepalm:

Slimsim
09-30-2010, 03:45 PM

:clap:

Niro
09-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Wade

rose:rolleyes:

i think kobe is a good one...he is still a great great player but past his prime...same for pierce

WolvesJagsOs
09-30-2010, 03:50 PM
prolly Kobe/

Sadds The Gr8
09-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Wince.

bears88
09-30-2010, 03:51 PM
If you ask me Kobe still got gas in the Tank. Yea turning 30 is getting old, but if you ask me its not like he is 34 and above he still has a good 4 years left. Thats if he doesnt get injured.

Jewelz0376
09-30-2010, 03:52 PM
This is obviously a thread about Kobe

kArSoN RyDaH
09-30-2010, 03:53 PM
honestly though, what other players have past their prime LAST YEAR? supposedly! NONE!

this is a baiting thread.

/thread

Gators123
09-30-2010, 03:53 PM
If you ask me Kobe still got gas in the Tank. Yea turning 30 is getting old, but if you ask me its not like he is 34 and above he still has a good 4 years left. Thats if he doesnt get injured.

Kobe is 32

Sixerlover
09-30-2010, 03:54 PM
I'll throw a monkey wrench in here and actually say something relevant to the thread without mentioning Kobe or LeBron or Durant or Rose or the Heat or the Bulls....

Last year Steve Nash officially past his prime IMO. Dirk too.

bears88
09-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Kobe is 32

oh is he my bad I thought he was 30, but I still think he can contribute alot on the court.

jimbobjarree
09-30-2010, 03:59 PM
I really hope not, butafter the injury Mehmet Okur is a candidate (although he had a down year last season as well)

sep11ie
09-30-2010, 04:03 PM
I agree with the Nash/Dirk. I know I wasn't nearly as scared of seeing Dirk against us last year I've been in the past.

How can nobody say the 3 Celtics, Ray, Paul, and KG. I know they made the finals, but the competition was slim in the East.

Chacarron
09-30-2010, 04:04 PM
I think Adam Morrison's prime ended last year. We all saw a huge decline in his production, yet he still won a ring.

YoungOne
09-30-2010, 04:10 PM
I agree with the Nash/Dirk. I know I wasn't nearly as scared of seeing Dirk against us last year I've been in the past.

How can nobody say the 3 Celtics, Ray, Paul, and KG. I know they made the finals, but the competition was slim in the East.

3 of the 4 best team were in the east..

Antipod
09-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Timmy, but he`s in decline for like 3 years now...

kayface
09-30-2010, 04:14 PM
how about caron butler?

asandhu23
09-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Greg Oden...

L@ker4Life
09-30-2010, 04:16 PM
KG, Nash, Ray Allen, JKidd, Duncan, Shaq, Baron Davis, Yao Ming. kobe, Dwade.

All these players are declining or past their prime.

I personnaly think Kobe will have a better year this year than last.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Nash, Dirk, and Duncan come to mind. Duncan was a machine as usual, but his minutes are down, and with Splitter/Blair there, expect that trend to continue

sep11ie
09-30-2010, 04:20 PM
3 of the 4 best team were in the east..

I don't think so. Maybe won/loss, but the East had some of the worst teams that the Magic, Celtics, and Cavs got to beat up on.

joeym
09-30-2010, 04:24 PM
I think Adam Morrison's prime ended last year. We all saw a huge decline in his production, yet he still won a ring.

I don't think Morrison ever had a prime....

smith&wesson
09-30-2010, 04:25 PM
How is kobe passed his prime and still a top 3 player in the league.

I think what you meant to say .. Is that you hope kobe is passed his prime because he is in his thirties ... Fact of the matter is kobe is still going strong. And may i remind you he has been playing through injuries through the last several years and it didnt even slow him down playing on the us team last time around. Plus he just won a championchip.

So can i ask you what your talking about ? How do yo u figure he has slown down when you havent watched him play a game this season yet ?

Last time i checked he was still the best player on a championship team. That doesnt exactly spell out passed his prime.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2010, 04:28 PM
How is kobe passed his prime and still a top 3 player in the league.

I think what you meant to say .. Is that you hope kobe is passed his prime because he is in his thirties ... Fact of the matter is kobe is still going strong. And may i remind you he has been playing through injuries through the last several years and it didnt even slow him down playing on the us team last time around. Plus he just won a championchip.

So can i ask you what your talking about ? How do yo u figure he has slown down when you havent watched him play a game this season yet ?

Last time i checked he was still the best player on a championship team. That doesnt exactly spell out passed his prime.

I am interested to see what Kobe looks like after a full summer of rest and healing. But he has indeed declined, individually, over the past few years. But players like Kobe, with a high skillset, tend to decline very slowly, almost unoticeable to the naked eye, which is why you have to move onto advanced stats, and look at the fact that he doesn't defend the best wing on the other team anymore. Nash is similar. Such a high skillset, its hard to tell. But it happens to everyone. But that being said, I think Kobe will continue to put up great numbers in lots of minutes, so I can't include him in this thread from my perspective

Pierzynski4Prez
09-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Rondo

Gators123
09-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Rondo

no

Ware_Spencer
09-30-2010, 04:34 PM
This is a speculation thread. Everyone needs to calm down especially the Laker fans who feel like your being attacked. Its obvious they are speculating who will decline this coming year.

I think it might of been better to say who will have the biggest drop off this coming year in comparison to last year.

Any guy 32 and older can be on the list. History shows that once they turn 32 they usually start declining more rapidly. Especially guys who based there game on there athleticism rather than being crafty.

Most high school guys have dropped off around 30. Kobe is a freak of nature but he also keeps good care of his body. Jermaine O'neal and McGrady don't seem to have the work ethic that Kobe does. I see Kobe declining badly and taking even more outside shots this year because he will have a harder time getting to the hoop. Doesn't mean he won't be a top 5 player in the league. Just won't have that extra step that he has always had. In the finals I saw Kobe having a hard time getting past guys like Ray Allen. The year before he seemed to have a quicker step. Just see him declining more. Injuries could be a problem but I think age will have more to do with it.

sep11ie
09-30-2010, 04:34 PM

Adam Morrison's prime is bigger than yours.

8kobe24
09-30-2010, 04:36 PM
"The player" that is supposedly "past his prime" is on the verge of leading his team to a 3peat and might I add are still the favorites to win it all this year.

jon32
09-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Shaq..........cept he's been past his prime for the past few years, its just random dumbasses say each year that he's still in his prime.....so i pick Shaq. He should retire and make Kazaam 2

TO Rapz
09-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Adam Morrison's prime is bigger than yours.

:laugh:

TheWatcher34
09-30-2010, 04:46 PM
This is obviously a thread about Kobe

could also be a thread about the Celtics :confused:

Khalifa21
09-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Kobe

nightBULL
09-30-2010, 04:57 PM

Posting - you're doing it wrong.

I don't think Jennings is passed his prime, I mean his got a season under his belt and what a year or two in europe? Pretty sure he's got a least a couple seasons left in.

John Wall, probably not passed his prime considering he hasn't played a game yet.

But you probably didn't read either the title of this thread or the first post.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure people would have ranked Kwame higher before he played his first season, but upon seeing him compete against real NBA players and teams they realized he wasn't as good as expected. Right now Wall has the expectations but hasn't proven himself against NBA defenses.

Waaaaait it ouuuut!!!

And read first!!!

smith&wesson
09-30-2010, 04:57 PM
I am interested to see what Kobe looks like after a full summer of rest and healing. But he has indeed declined, individually, over the past few years. But players like Kobe, with a high skillset, tend to decline very slowly, almost unoticeable to the naked eye, which is why you have to move onto advanced stats, and look at the fact that he doesn't defend the best wing on the other team anymore. Nash is similar. Such a high skillset, its hard to tell. But it happens to everyone. But that being said, I think Kobe will continue to put up great numbers in lots of minutes, so I can't include him in this thread from my perspective

agreed

kobe slowing down = better then most players in the league who are still in theyre prime.
regressing and being completly passed your prime are two different things imo.

sure he has slowed down. but is still one of the best in the leauge so i cant say he's washed or passed his best years. he is still very effective and in comparison to when he was younger he plays alot smarter so i would still say he is a great player today.

97NYer
09-30-2010, 05:04 PM
VC, Pierce

nightBULL
09-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Kobe is definitely passed his prime!!

Being passed your prime doesn't mean you're no longer elite, it just means you've seen better days.

I'm not saying his numbers are going to drop considerably, but I doubt his legs have that same spring and he isn't as quick as he used to be. He's just finding other ways to get it done.

Da Knicks
09-30-2010, 05:31 PM

YEAH HE DID, prime example of a bust.:o

On a serious note tim was past his prime already last year, next year the candidates have to be Nash, Kobe.

smith&wesson
09-30-2010, 05:35 PM
YEAH HE DID, prime example of a bust.:o

On a serious note tim was past his prime already last year, next year the candidates have to be Nash, Kobe.

oh snap, lol :rimshot: you gotta love it. cuz its true.

CHANGO
09-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Kobe, Pierce and Allen are the right choose.

I'm not saying they have nothing left, they still have something, but have passed their prime.

Steelers23_06
09-30-2010, 05:37 PM
kobe is past his prime thats not a disrespectful statement at all. i love kobe but he isnt what he used to be does that mean he is garbage now...NO! and dont feed me this b.s. about his role has changed bc thats not the case he has adjusted his game-play to limit the amount of attack/scoring/controlling the ball that he used to do. he can use picks now more and use the team that the buss put around him. he is still a 30 point threat and still arguably top 3 player. but he isnt in his "prime" anymore. but a player that ithink is beyond his prime that noone is really talking about is joe johnson. he didnt deserve that contract and atl is going to be shooting themselves for giving a guy who averaged 12.8 in the final round of the playoffs a max contract.

COOLbeans
09-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Ray Allen..

COOLbeans
09-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Dirk Nowitzki also has noticeably declined, still a very good player. but he'll never be in the MVP Conversation

barreleffact
09-30-2010, 06:03 PM

I don't think Jennings is passed his prime, I mean his got a season under his belt and what a year or two in europe? Pretty sure he's got a least a couple seasons left in.

John Wall, probably not passed his prime considering he hasn't played a game yet.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure people would have ranked Kwame higher before he played his first season, but upon seeing him compete against real NBA players and teams they realized he wasn't as good as expected. Right now Wall has the expectations but hasn't proven himself against NBA defenses.

Waaaaait it ouuuut!!!

And read first!!!

lmao. take your own advice and read before you analyze. please read then reread my post as to see that it had nothing to do with your response to it

Forte22
09-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Kobe.

DoJoTheSlasher
09-30-2010, 06:09 PM
If Kobe past his prime means him not putting up 50 points in multiple games anymore than sure.

Kobe is still the best player in the game and if he is past his orime then what does that say about his career?

TheTakeOver24
09-30-2010, 06:15 PM
I dont think Kobe is past his prime, he's altered his game in recent years so he's not gonna decline as quickly as some of you hope.

unwantedplayer
09-30-2010, 06:34 PM

You mad.

Fireworld
09-30-2010, 06:57 PM
A lot of players, but only one player will be attacked in this thread. Duh!

dnewguy
09-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Players running on charged battery: Kobe, Ray Allen, KG, Pierce, Chauncey Billups, RIP Hamilton etc.

Past their prime: Shaq, Greg Oden, Vince Carter, T Mac etc

BillyHoyle35
09-30-2010, 07:21 PM
If Kobe past his prime means him not putting up 50 points in multiple games anymore than sure.

Kobe is still the best player in the game and if he is past his orime then what does that say about his career?

i agree with this!

mohye
09-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Kobe might be passed his prime but he is still the best player in the NBA and has the hardware to prove it...

DoubleDragon
09-30-2010, 07:25 PM
hmm i wonder why this thread was created.

who else is there honestly to talk about to be "past their prime"?

no one.

Exactly. Just a wishful thinking thread.
A waste of time

daleja424
09-30-2010, 07:29 PM
maybe Paul Pierce? maybe Steve Nash?

hotpotato1092
09-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Thing is, I don't think Kobe will be "past his prime" until he's in his late 30's, he improves through practice and picking up new skills over the summer the same amount he declines because of age and wear and tear, so his overall play isn't going to really dip until his body legitimately can't take the pounding.

jzstud4
09-30-2010, 07:34 PM
garnett, duncan, pierce, nash might be there sooooon

TylerSL
09-30-2010, 07:38 PM
there are multiple people. This thread was whose prime is ended last year. These are players whose prime ended last year. It doesnt just mean that its over now that the season is over, their prime coulda ended during the season.
1.Kobe
2.Nash
3.Paul Peirce
4.Ray Allen
5.Dirk
6.Baron Davis

people have said others like TMac, Duncan, KG, ect. well they all ended their primes a few years ago. BTW other people said Wade. :facepalm: are you guys serious? Wade has been in his prime for 2 years, that doesnt mean its ending. If your serious its sig worthy.

TheHoopsProphet
09-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Kobe was past his prime last year. And did someone seriously mention Vince Carter? I can't remember the last time he WAS in his prime.

Player who exited their prime this summer are probably: Nash, Dirk, Joe Johnson (perfect timing for a lucrative contract), Rashard Lewis, Al Harrington, Steven Jax, Barbosa, Durant

Bruno
09-30-2010, 07:48 PM
I love it. Now that all you detractors finally had to swallow years and years of bashing the champ all you can talk about is how he's on the decline now.

fresh prince
09-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Kobe will have an even better year this year than last.

He is past his athletic prime yes. But it remains to be seen if that translates to his on the court performance. He has already adapted his game to rely less on atlheticsm.

He was an absolute beast in the post to start 2009 and was averaging 34 ppg on nearly 50% shooting while still doing the 5 and 5 rebound assist thing. Then he got banged up.

If you think Lebron's "mental notes" are scary wait til the fully rested Mamba is unleashed in a few weeks. Kobe hears the chatter too.

I think many of you who think Kobe's best years are behind him are in for an ahaaa momnet.

Gators123
09-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Kobe was past his prime last year. And did someone seriously mention Vince Carter? I can't remember the last time he WAS in his prime.

Player who exited their prime this summer are probably: Nash, Dirk, Joe Johnson (perfect timing for a lucrative contract), Rashard Lewis, Al Harrington, Steven Jax, Barbosa, Durant

:confused:

Byronicle
09-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Hedo Turkoglu

Andre Miller

Mike Bibby

Tim Duncan

Tony Parker

this year it will be definitely Carlos Boozer

Byronicle
09-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Richard Hamilton

Ben Gordon

Tayshaun Prince

Gators123
09-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Richard Hamilton

Ben Gordon

Tayshaun Prince

lol no.

godolphins
09-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Kobe Bryant

Gators123
09-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Wade

Wade is only 28

omdigga
09-30-2010, 08:29 PM
joe johnson..

Hawkeye15
09-30-2010, 08:33 PM
I want to add one thing on Kobe, since he is a hot topic here. I think he actually has a better statistical year than last year. Taking the summer off should help. The Lakers depth will mask that in per game numbers, and no, he won't touch LeBron, Wade, or a healthy Paul in the efficiency world, but I expect Kobe's advanced numbers to go up a bit when comparing them to last season.
Like Duncan, Kobe will be a tough player to judge. His role, minutes, etc, will diminish ever so slightly, but because he is surrounded by so much help, in a conference that is growing weaker up top by the year, his overall numbers will stay tough

Revolu7i9n
09-30-2010, 08:33 PM

Waaaaait it ouuuut!!!

And read first!!!

:facepalm:

credible55
09-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Ray allen, paul pierce,baron davis,elton brand

Law25
09-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Kobe will have an even better year this year than last.

He is past his athletic prime yes. But it remains to be seen if that translates to his on the court performance. He has already adapted his game to rely less on atlheticsm.

He was an absolute beast in the post to start 2009 and was averaging 34 ppg on nearly 50% shooting while still doing the 5 and 5 rebound assist thing. Then he got banged up.

If you think Lebron's "mental notes" are scary wait til the fully rested Mamba is unleashed in a few weeks. Kobe hears the chatter too.

I think many of you who think Kobe's best years are behind him are in for an ahaaa momnet.

This. :clap:

damasterpiece
09-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Gilbert Arenas even though he never played much

Jacks3
09-30-2010, 09:07 PM
kobe isnt past his prime. thats a myth. look at his 2010 playoff numbers: 29/6/6/2 on 57% TS shooting.

WCSF: 33/6/5/2 on 60%+ TS
WCF: 34/9/7/2 on 60%+ TS
Finals: 29/8/4/2 on 53% TS

here are some of his games from the 2010 playoffs:

39/5/4/1
32/7/3/1
31/4/3
30/8/5/3/1
35/7/4/1
32/4/4/1
40/5/5/1
21/13/5/1
36/11/9/1/1
38/10/7/1/1
30/11/9/4
37/6/2/2
30/7/6/1/1
29/7/4/2/1
33/6/2/2
38/5/4/1
26/11/4/3
23/15/3/1

he just looked bad during the reg season because of injuries to his knee, ankle, back and a broken finger. he's still top 2 in the league easily imo.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2010, 09:09 PM
kobe isnt past his prime. thats a myth. look at his 2010 playoff numbers: 29/6/6/2 on 57% TS shooting.

WCSF: 33/6/5/2 on 60%+ TS
WCF: 34/9/7/2 on 60%+ TS
Finals: 39/8/4/2 on 53% TS

here are some of his games from the 2010 playoffs:

39/5/4/1
32/7/3/1
31/4/3
30/8/5/3/1
35/7/4/1
32/4/4/1
40/5/5/1
21/13/5/1
36/11/9/1/1
38/10/7/1/1
30/11/9/4
37/6/2/2
30/7/6/1/1
29/7/4/2/1
33/6/2/2
38/5/4/1
26/11/4/3
23/15/3/1

he just looked bad during the reg season because of injuries to his knee, ankle, back and a broken finger. he's still top 2 in the league easily imo.

agreed. He is past his PEAK, but not his prime. But the thread is asking who do you think has a season, upcoming, that will be their fall off. And a 32 year old, with 1400 games, is a decent pick. But as I stated earlier, players with Kobe's skill level have a decline that is nearly impossible to see with the naked eye

Hawkeye15
09-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Kobe's rebounding numbers in some of those playoff games are awesome

fantasytensai
09-30-2010, 09:17 PM
I think prime means the best status of your career. Therefore, any player that play next year that do not perform as well as they have possibly performed and are not likely to perform that way again. If that is the case, around 45-60 players can be named to that list...

Hawkeye15
09-30-2010, 09:21 PM
I think prime means the best status of your career. Therefore, any player that play next year that do not perform as well as they have possibly performed and are not likely to perform that way again. If that is the case, around 45-60 players can be named to that list...

you are referring to PEAK, not PRIME. There is a difference

Gilly1254
09-30-2010, 09:23 PM
People seem to be confusing the term prime... Kobe can still be a top 3 player in the league and not be in his prime thats just how good of a player he is. Kobe is one of the best to ever play the game but he isnt the same player he was. And DWade is still in his prime and youre either a fool or a hater if you think he isnt.

Now whos prime ended last year I would have to say Paul Pierce, Steve Nash, Rashard Lewis (not elite but still), Ron Artest.

MTar786
09-30-2010, 09:29 PM
im gonna go out on a limb here and say ..... mike james :(

dnewguy
09-30-2010, 11:29 PM
im gonna go out on a limb here and say ..... mike james :(

I am not sure we're ready to retire his number on psd yet.

AI4MVP
10-01-2010, 05:07 AM
someoen explain to me how the **** nash declined last year at all ? or explain ur reasoning about him being past his prime?? u guys just like naming old people

PraiseJesus
10-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Kidd and Nash were past their primes like 4 years ago.

You just never can tell. Prime is a relative word.

IHeartNY
10-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Brian Cardinal.

D-Leethal
10-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Its impossible to say until it actually happens, but I see Dirk and Pierce starting a gradual decline

barreleffact
10-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Its impossible to say until it actually happens, but I see Dirk and Pierce starting a gradual decline

:eyebrow:

k24springs
10-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Vince Carter is probably the latest name. If you paid attention to the games that he played in there were times were he had an open lane but, he just settle for those damn fadeway and one legged jumpers. Even when he does make an attempt to attack the basket he no longer has that athleticism that made him one of the most feared players. That 48pt game he had last season he had a hard time getting by Morris Peterson and James Posey. Still he's 33 and turns 34 in January all those highlights are a distant memory now he still is a great scorer.

jezzyman05
10-01-2010, 10:00 AM

sigh

rhymeratic
10-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Vince Carter
Gilbert Arenas
Allen Iverson
Elton Brand
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Ray Allen
Paul Pierce
Ilgauskus
Ron Artest
Shaq
Matt Barnes
Jason Kidd
Andrei Kirilenko
Kenyon Martin
Nene
Hedo
Peja

That's just off the top of my head. Some more so than others but generally those are all the players for the most part on the decline/past prime.

Hawkeye15
10-01-2010, 10:09 AM
some of the names in here have already declined. KG, Iverson, Vince, and a handful of others are not even close to their peak/prime.
KG for instance. Still a top defender, but his offense is eh, he misses games, and is no longer even a thought to make the 1st team.

Raidaz4Life
10-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I want to know in what regards is Kobe past his prime? Because he isn't putting up the same numbers as he did in 05-06 where his usage% was through the roof? He was injured for most of the year last year and still managed to put up numbers similar to previous years.... I really want to know is what regards Kobe is past his prime because it seems like people are just looking at age and making assumptions.

Hawkeye15
10-01-2010, 10:24 AM
I want to know in what regards is Kobe past his prime? Because he isn't putting up the same numbers as he did in 05-06 where his usage% was through the roof? He was injured for most of the year last year and still managed to put up numbers similar to previous years.... I really want to know is what regards Kobe is past his prime because it seems like people are just looking at age and making assumptions.

his numbers are not what they used to be. He doesn't guard the other team's best wing for 82 games, he is not capable of doing that anymore. He is not capable of carrying the Lakers for 100 games on his back.
Prime is a tough word. I don't think he is out of his prime yet, but he sure is past his PEAK. If that makes sense.
And like I said a page or two back, I am interested to see what he looks like this year with some rest finally. 1400 games is a lot to ask of anyone to just bounce back into peak condition. But he should be more effective this year. We shall see

GSW Hoops
10-01-2010, 10:38 AM
I think Hedo's prime ended last season. Awesome in Orlando the season before, awful in Toronto last season, now in Phoenix...

IHeartNY
10-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Maybe Gilbert Arenas ...

Bruno
10-01-2010, 04:27 PM
rose:rolleyes:

i think kobe is a good one...he is still a great great player but past his prime...same for pierce

prolly Kobe/

Kobe

Kobe is definitely passed his prime!!

Being passed your prime doesn't mean you're no longer elite, it just means you've seen better days.

I'm not saying his numbers are going to drop considerably, but I doubt his legs have that same spring and he isn't as quick as he used to be. He's just finding other ways to get it done.

Kobe, Pierce and Allen are the right choose.

I'm not saying they have nothing left, they still have something, but have passed their prime.

kobe is past his prime thats not a disrespectful statement at all. i love kobe but he isnt what he used to be does that mean he is garbage now...NO! and dont feed me this b.s. about his role has changed bc thats not the case he has adjusted his game-play to limit the amount of attack/scoring/controlling the ball that he used to do. he can use picks now more and use the team that the buss put around him. he is still a 30 point threat and still arguably top 3 player. but he isnt in his "prime" anymore.

Kobe.

there are multiple people. This thread was whose prime is ended last year. These are players whose prime ended last year. It doesnt just mean that its over now that the season is over, their prime coulda ended during the season.
1.Kobe
2.Nash
3.Paul Peirce
4.Ray Allen
5.Dirk
6.Baron Davis

people have said others like TMac, Duncan, KG, ect. well they all ended their primes a few years ago. BTW other people said Wade. :facepalm: are you guys serious? Wade has been in his prime for 2 years, that doesnt mean its ending. If your serious its sig worthy.

Kobe Bryant

Did you guys even watch the 2010 WCF? Seriously people, how could you have possibly watched that series and thought to yourself "Kobe is past his prime."?

33.7 ppg, 8.3 apg, 7.2 rpg, 1.17 bpg, .8 spg, 2.5 TO. 52% FG, 43% 3's, 88% FT. 41 mpg.

We're you guys even aware of the fact that this was his best statistically playoff series ever, at 31? Did you guys watch the semis when he ripped up Utah for 32 ppg on 52% FG shooting?

Did you guys know that Kobe posted a 2010 playoff PER of 24.7, which was higher than we he posted during the '99, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007 playoffs when he was sifnificantly younger?

Yes he's lost athleticism, and no he doesn't guard the other teams best player, but why would he when he has a former DPOY to do that? Look at it as a step to preserve the end of his prime, not because he's no longer in it. What Kobe has lost in athleticism he has made up for in maturity, foot work and fundamentals. Just because he's not at his peak, doesn't mean he's not in his prime. Look at it like a bell curve, with the entire curve representing his prime.

TheTakeOver24
10-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Did you guys even watch the 2010 WCF? Seriously people, how could you have possibly watched that series and thought to yourself "Kobe is past his prime."?

33.7 ppg, 8.3 apg, 7.2 rpg, 1.17 bpg, .8 spg, 2.5 TO. 52% FG, 43% 3's, 88% FT. 41 mpg.

We're you guys even aware of the fact that this was his best statistically playoff series ever, at 31? Did you guys watch the semis when he ripped up Utah for 32 ppg on 52% FG shooting?

Did you guys know that Kobe posted a 2010 playoff PER of 24.7, which was higher than we he posted during the '99, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007 playoffs when he was sifnificantly younger?

Yes he's lost athleticism, and no he doesn't guard the other teams best player, but why would he when he has a former DPOY to do that? Look at it as a step to preserve the end of his prime, not because he's no longer in it. What Kobe has lost in athleticism he has made up for in maturity, foot work and fundamentals. Just because he's not at his peak, doesn't mean he's not in his prime. Look at it like a bell curve, with the entire curve representing his prime.

:clap: Well Said!
Kobe is still in his prime, just cause he's not posterizing someone every game doesn't mean he's past his prime.

Hawkeye15
10-01-2010, 04:43 PM
I think many here are confusing PRIME with PEAK.

pistonsfanomg
10-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Tim Duncan

Kobe still has like 1-2 years left of his prime.

RollinDeep
10-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Kobe: Past his athletic prime, yes. His basketball prime? Nothing has shown that to happen yet. These past playoffs should have shown it. Great players reinvent themselves.

However...Vince Carter...definitely past.

fresh prince
10-01-2010, 06:45 PM

Great post!

But I say we just let people keep up the whole Kobe is past his prime talk. Im sure (if it hasnt already )this sentiment will bubble up through the media and it will get back to Kobe. Then we'll all just reap the benfits of a hyper motivated Kobe Bryant

Kinda like that whole you cant win without Shaq thing. Should be a sight to behold.

Mplsman
10-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Joe Johnson

deaner
10-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Chris Bosh

jerellh528
10-01-2010, 07:57 PM
haha, I think kobe is still in his prime which will probably last for another 2-4 years if he stays healthy. Everyone forgets he played through alot of injurys last year and hasnt had a summer of rest in a while, I think a rejuvenated kobe will show the world he is still the best player on the planet this season.

HakeemTheDream
10-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Kobe, y'all just don't know it yet

jerellh528
10-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Kobe, y'all just don't know it yet

And how do you know? :crazy:

AI4MVP
10-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Kidd and Nash were past their primes like 4 years ago.

You just never can tell. Prime is a relative word.

nash past his prime 4 years ago?? Omg. You have no basketball knowledge. i would stick to religion if i were u

jerellh528
10-01-2010, 09:37 PM
nash past his prime 4 years ago?? Omg. You have no basketball knowledge. i would stick to religion if i were u

Yeah no way 4 years ago, probably 2 years ago.

JROX213*323*310
10-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Kobe is past his prime and is still the best player in the league. He wins, that's all he does.

eXpLiiCt
10-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Never doubt Kobe until he's dead

pd1dish
10-01-2010, 10:35 PM

why dont you start making threads then???

HakeemTheDream
10-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Kobe wasn't injured in the playoffs, he played bad against OKC and Boston because he declined. If he was injured then how was he hitting amazing fade-away shots in Dudley's face like it was automatic? Dudley isn't a bad defender. He shot 40% in the finals against a team Wade shot 56% and 33ppg against because he is declining plain and simple, and that's going to be more evident after next season because this he has been treating his knee. This is the weakest off-season for Kobe by far and it's going to hurt him

Ollie Tabooger
10-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Tony Parker
Antawn Jamison
Joe Johnson
Caron Butler
Josh Howard

I think all these guys have seen their best years.

SA5195
10-02-2010, 12:48 AM
VC

Tony Parker

SANDBURG23
10-02-2010, 04:19 AM
LeBron, Wade & Bosh

ryder78c
10-02-2010, 05:22 AM
Nash,Jaminson

Kobe past his prime.....yeah right he's the 2nd coming of MJ

Denver-boy
10-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Dirk, and Tony Parker..... even duncan and Gonobli

kobe is close, but he just won a championship... I think Gasol will have to carry him this year tho

RedRicanoBx
10-02-2010, 07:37 AM
if we are talking stats wise...

imma say lebron, wade, and bosh lol

listen miami fans im not trying to bash or say anything im not a hater i actually dream of my knicks taking you guys down.... (dream) so no need for the stupid remarks... but with that being said...

all 3 of those guys are max players and all 3 of those guys were go 2 guys last season all 3 of those guys will no longer be like that anymore...

idk im just saying it only makes sense ill be surprised if they put up the numbers they was putting...

Not hating or nothing just putting my opinion like everyone else...

hans dolo
10-02-2010, 08:26 AM
SHAWN BRADLEY, but man did he have some dominating years

Raidaz4Life
10-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Kobe wasn't injured in the playoffs, he played bad against OKC and Boston because he declined. If he was injured then how was he hitting amazing fade-away shots in Dudley's face like it was automatic? Dudley isn't a bad defender. He shot 40% in the finals against a team Wade shot 56% and 33ppg against because he is declining plain and simple, and that's going to be more evident after next season because this he has been treating his knee. This is the weakest off-season for Kobe by far and it's going to hurt him

you're right because Kobe had surgery on his knee over the summer because he wasn't injured.... and looked into surgery on his finger as well because he wasn't injured. Glad perfectly healthy people need so many surgeries. That just shows how good he is that he can hit amazing fade away jumpers in dudley's face when he has a bad knee and arthritic wrapped finger on his shooting hand.

Hawkeye15
10-02-2010, 10:19 AM
you're right because Kobe had surgery on his knee over the summer because he wasn't injured.... and looked into surgery on his finger as well because he wasn't injured. Glad perfectly healthy people need so many surgeries. That just shows how good he is that he can hit amazing fade away jumpers in dudley's face when he has a bad knee and arthritic wrapped finger on his shooting hand.

haha, dude, did you see the picture of Kobe's shooting hand mid season? His finger looked like is was deformed

td0tsfinest
10-02-2010, 10:22 AM

kobe is close, but he just won a championship... I think Gasol will have to carry him this year tho

Good call. Though I think Duncan past his prime a couple of seasons ago but I do agree with Parker, Dirk and Gino.

HakeemTheDream
10-02-2010, 11:28 AM

You're right he was injured, but Kobe had his knee drained during the playoffs which is a temporary fix meaning it shouldn't have been as much of an issue. Surgery is more of a permanent fix, stop making excuses.

Bruno
10-02-2010, 05:29 PM
haha, dude, did you see the picture of Kobe's shooting hand mid season? His finger looked like is was deformed

http://basketball.mydesigntool.com/viewtopic.php?tid=219&id=16

Thats a picture of the ring finger from last season. I haven't found any pictures of his index finger from this year except when its wrapped up.

pedrofan45
10-02-2010, 06:08 PM
why do people keep saying that pierce, allen, and KG are going to be passed their prime this upcoming year? Do you guys realize that these guys were pretty much passed their prime before they joined together in Boston? KG, Allen, and Pierce were all ridiculous before they teamed up. Ray has been a shooter and nothing more on offense ever since joining the Celtics but he is still good at defense. Pierce is as slow as **** now but still manages to get open and take decent shots (when I watch him it's like he's moving slow motion). And KG's last decent season was 2008 but he was still passed his prime considering of how good he was on the Wolves.

What makes the Celtics dangerous is that they have great chemistry and they know how to play defense together. The only players that are in their prime are Rondo and Perkins (both great defense).

showtym24
10-02-2010, 11:15 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

GIANTKNICK
10-03-2010, 12:52 AM
The celtics big three