PDA

View Full Version : Is Lebron James the most Over Hyped Player?

metsfan4ever
09-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Just a question I wana get out there, my sports are NFL and MLB but everytime this guy say something espn go nuts, Like seriously why does the media cover this guy so much. What has he done.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Modern day media has been looking for the next MJ for a long time. LeBron was a dominant prep player, who has been watched since he was 14. He puts up numbers nobody can match, is a physical specimen, and is a rare athlete. That being said, its the national media and their infatuation with the next big thing. LeBron has done nothing wrong, but he sure does take a lot of heat.

On a side note, please keep this respectable, these threads usually turn into a bashfest

haggis
09-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Modern day media has been looking for the next MJ for a long time. LeBron was a dominant prep player, who has been watched since he was 14. He puts up numbers nobody can match, is a physical specimen, and is a rare athlete. That being said, its the national media and their infatuation with the next big thing. LeBron has done nothing wrong, but he sure does take a lot of heat.

On a side note, please keep this respectable, these threads usually turn into a bashfest

^ exactly this

right on with that one Hawk, I think you summed it up perfectly.

The L Train
09-30-2010, 03:01 PM
He's a great entertainer. He and his team of PR guys and agents are amazing at manipulating the media and they know how to create hype.

If he's not the most over hyped player, who is? No player has ever had more hype and less rings.

Heater4life
09-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Hype:A fad. A clever marketing strategy which a product is advertized as the thing everyone must have, to the point where people begin to feel they need to consume it.

In Lebron's case he is a player being over-analyzed by the media due to his vastly great talents to the point which every game the Heat play will become "must see" basketball.

No, he is not over-hyped. As he is not a fad, according to the definition.

TheTakeOver24
09-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Definitely, he's the most hyped player I've ever seen.

mikantsass
09-30-2010, 03:07 PM
He is the Brett Favre of basketball....

but in all honesty, he delivers on the court. No he hasnt won championships, but he gives fans their moneys worth 99.8% of the time.

Also, he generally seems like a nice guy (when it comes to treatment of the media), he gives a good interview, sometimes hes funny, and nobody (media) wants to piss him off!

Khalifa21
09-30-2010, 03:13 PM
The guy has the opportunity to go down in history as one of the greatest ever (depending on where the chips fall, pun intended). So... No, he's not overhyped.

bringinwood
09-30-2010, 03:15 PM
He is a modern day version of what sports are supposed to be like...

He cares...

He works...

He appreciates...

He strives to be the best this world has ever seen everyday...

If more players cared about the game the way he does and less about their hairspray endorsements, LeBron wouldn't be as built up as he is...

It's not so much LeBron on the court as it is the entire package that he presents to the media... People see an intense, cut throat, once in a generation talent that has the work ethic to make him the best ever...

It's almost refreshing...

tr4shb0t
09-30-2010, 03:15 PM
He is a circus act. Come one come all.

sixers247
09-30-2010, 03:20 PM
He is the ****ing man

kArSoN RyDaH
09-30-2010, 03:22 PM
i dont think he is overhyped because his talent exceeds the hype. however i do believe the amount of publicity he gets sometimes is ridiculous. this guy can fart and it will be on espn and in every newspaper in the country.

Guru™
09-30-2010, 03:24 PM

Well put

Pierzynski4Prez
09-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Yes he is, but that doesn't mean his talent hasn't warranted it. But as hawkeye already said, ESPN and the sports world is always looking for the next best at everything, Lebron has that chance, therefore they are going to ride his butt until they find the next person to overhype.

daleja424
09-30-2010, 03:29 PM
2 time mvp who is 25 years old... if any deserves the hype its him...

sep11ie
09-30-2010, 03:29 PM
He thinks he's above the game. I think all of his antics have grown old myself.

sep11ie
09-30-2010, 03:30 PM

Since he's on the Heat now i wonder if he starts blowing fire instead of clapping powder in the air before games...

DLeeicious
09-30-2010, 03:30 PM
He's just not very likeable (and race has nothing to do with this).

D Roses Bulls
09-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Just a question I wana get out there, my sports are NFL and MLB but everytime this guy say something espn go nuts, Like seriously why does the media cover this guy so much. What has he done.

When you are labeled the chosen one coming out of high school and you really arnt the chosen one then yes. lebron isnt MJ, Lebron isnt Jesus shuttlesworth. Look I dont like the guy, but when it comes to comparing players im not going to say he's not good cause I dont like him. I dislike Kobe, but the dude can ball. Lebron can ball too, but he is way over hyped for the simple fact he isnt the chosen one and sorry, but he will not go down as one of the top 10 best players of all time.

Sly Guy
09-30-2010, 03:41 PM
he has too much hype, yes. But he's also a very good player, so he's not the most 'over hyped'.

D Roses Bulls
09-30-2010, 03:43 PM

MVP's doesnt mean nothing unless its finals MVP. Karl Malone won I believe two in a row and where is he? top 10 of all time? No! top 20? maybe, I didnt make a list, but you get judged by rings, by how hard you competed, how you took over games.now that he went to miami, everyone see's him as robin. pippen was actually underrated, but most people dont see that cause he played next to michael jordan.

Jonathan2323
09-30-2010, 03:45 PM
LeBron has exceeded the hype. He was better than advertised when he came to the NBA, if thats possible.

rickshaw
09-30-2010, 03:50 PM
MVP's doesnt mean nothing unless its finals MVP. Karl Malone won I believe two in a row and where is he? top 10 of all time? No! top 20? maybe, I didnt make a list, but you get judged by rings, by how hard you competed, how you took over games.now that he went to miami, everyone who hates him see's him as robin. pippen was actually underrated, but most people dont see that cause he played next to michael jordan.

fixed.

and malone won his mvps when he was 34 and 36 so terrible comparison.

Sixerlover
09-30-2010, 03:52 PM
No he isn't overhyped. Check is career stats, he's better than what was advertised when he came out of HS. People just don't like him from this summer and he catches heat from everyone (no pun intended). His statlines and advanced stats are some of the best in the history of basketball.

ShaqShoes
09-30-2010, 04:04 PM
He's the best player in the NBA. He won the last two MVP awards. Perennial all-star. He played on some of the shittiest teams for most of his career. He just signed with a new team. etc etc that's why the media loves him so much. Or hates him.

Chacarron
09-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Over-hyped is the wrong word. Lebron James gets media attention because he is a monster. His numbers are ridiculous, his athleticism is incomparable. Of course ESPN is going to show Lebron 24/7, they want viewers to tune in.

On a side note, I don't know why people would even watch ESPN unless they are showing a game. All their analysts are horrible and biased towards Eastern teams.

ShaqShoes
09-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Over-hyped is the wrong word. Lebron James gets media attention because he is a monster. His numbers are ridiculous, his athleticism is incomparable. Of course ESPN is going to show Lebron 24/7, they want viewers to tune in.

On a side note, I don't know why people would even watch ESPN unless they are showing a game. All their analysts are horrible and biased towards Eastern teams.

That's why Kobe and Phil Jackson is like 50% of their coverage right? :eyebrow:

Chacarron
09-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Really? 50% of the coverage. You are just trying to take shot at me because I'm a Lakers fan. Whatever kid, I was just stating my observation.

bringinwood
09-30-2010, 04:22 PM
[/B]

Exactly...

It's ironic that once basketball has widely accepted LeBron as the best player in sport, LeBron is suddenly getting too much hype...

For years Kobe held the same distinction... How come he wasn't overhyped ??? Or still isn't for that matter ????

Da Knicks
09-30-2010, 04:26 PM
No he is not overhyped, he cant even get the best player on psd when he is the best in the world. Now the guy that got the number 1 spot on psd thats another story...

ShaqShoes
09-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Really? 50% of the coverage. You are just trying to take shot at me because I'm a Lakers fan. Whatever kid, I was just stating my observation.
No but I find that on their website they talk about the Lakers more than any other team (except the Heat) I wasn't taking a shot at you...and I was clearly exaggerating by saying 50%. Grow up kid. Don't be so sensitive it makes you look childish!

Kashmir13579
09-30-2010, 04:29 PM

yes, but the mvps are a product of the hype; not the other way around as your post implies.

ShaqShoes
09-30-2010, 04:31 PM
yes, but the mvps are a product of the hype; not the other way around as your post implies.
The MVPs are a product of him being good. Has nothing to do with hype.

JordansBulls
09-30-2010, 04:32 PM

He was mentioned in the movie "Coach Carter" so yes and became the 1st high school player selected #1.

bringinwood
09-30-2010, 04:37 PM

I'll agree with this once you tell me any other player in the world that was as valuable to their team as LeBron was to the Cavs....

I'll give you partial credit for telling me who could have carried a team, with as much or less, than LeBron did during his tenure in Cleveland...

D Roses Bulls
09-30-2010, 04:38 PM
fixed.

and malone won his mvps when he was 34 and 36 so terrible comparison.

not really...... lebron has been in the league 7 years. its not like he's new to the game. and how many 34 and 36 year old players in the history have won an mvp award? not many.

daleja424
09-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Lebron is no doubt the most hyped.... but he is not the most OVER hyped b/c he has lived up to and exceeded the hype in almost every area. And after the next couple years he may very well have met ALL the hype.

daleja424
09-30-2010, 04:40 PM
lol at the comment that lebron won MVP's b/c of the hype... uh NO. He won MVPs b/c he averaged 30 points and 8 assists while getting his highly under talented team to win 60+ games every year.

godolphins
09-30-2010, 04:42 PM
He is the ****ing man

This

Zefflin
09-30-2010, 04:43 PM
To what everyone is saying... :horse::horse::horse:

Anything I will respond with... :horse::horse::horse:

Khalifa21
09-30-2010, 04:46 PM
He was mentioned in the movie "Coach Carter" so yes and became the 1st high school player selected #1.

Kwame Brown was the first HS player selected #1 overall.

jrm2054
09-30-2010, 05:25 PM
No chris bosh is

rickshaw
09-30-2010, 05:25 PM
not really...... lebron has been in the league 7 years. its not like he's new to the game. and how many 34 and 36 year old players in the history have won an mvp award? not many.

so 2 MVPs in his first 7 years and hes overhyped?

malone won them when he was old. lebron has 2 and is still young and will probably win more. still a bad comparison, no?

Cool007
09-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Is Lebron James the most Over Hype Player?

Yes.

smith&wesson
09-30-2010, 05:33 PM
no lebron is a great player. he deserves recognition as one of the best in the leauge.

that doesnt mean to say he isnt very smart though.

king4day
09-30-2010, 05:44 PM
I'd say he's lived up to the hype and will only look better in Miami. So not overhyped.

Forte22
09-30-2010, 05:58 PM
No.

elizur
09-30-2010, 06:18 PM
He is the best player so he is really not overhyped.

Pack_Attack6
09-30-2010, 06:29 PM
I think the media blows everything he does way out of proportion, but when you are the best hoops player since jordan I guess that's the attention you draw. Its gonna be ridiculous this season every move any of the Big 3 make will be blown up. They lose a game they are a bust and never gonna win anything. They win some in a row and they are the greatest team ever. Media is gonna bounce em back and forth on a daily basis.

smiddy012
09-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Well we're not allowed to talk about everything he says to the media. We're not allowed to talk about his family. So yeah, Id say he's over-hyped, as it effects my actual freedoms in these forums.

Khalifa21
09-30-2010, 08:04 PM
I find this thread funny... LeBron has lived up to and exceeded some of the most ridiculous hype in sports history, and he's being questioned as the "most over hyped" player...

Wade>You
09-30-2010, 08:12 PM
I was going to post something but I see everyone already answered your Q. The guy is deserving of the hype he gets because he's been scouted since he was 14 and lived up to the expectations that the media placed on him.

Here's a link to his nbadraft.net profile, his nba comparison prior to being drafted was Magic Johnson.

http://www.angelfire.com/hero/jimmyssportscards/lebronjames_1_.htm

Khalifa21
09-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Yes.

Coming from someone with Derrick Rose in their sig... :rolleyes:

Assman22
09-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Kobe will always outrank LeBron in my opinion. What has LBJ done that Kobe hasn't? I wish the media would stop comparing these two to Jordan and start comparing them to each other.

Facts are facts, stats are stats, and Kobe is better than LBJ bar none and has proven to be a champion with and without a future hall-of-famer within his cast. LBJ has never won a championship ever and clearly felt he needed to join to other All-Stars in order to do be a champion, so he knows it himself. His move to Miami is pathetic and selfish, which is why everyone lost all respect for him. Race has zero to do with it and the fact that he's using the race card will only hurt his acceptance amongst fans even more.

LBJ will forever regret his "decision".

HOP3Z
09-30-2010, 09:09 PM
He's not over-hyped, but has quickly become the most hated icon.

I guess everyone expected Lebron to be able to win a title by himself.

fantasytensai
09-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Is he the most hyped player? Yes
Is he the most overhyped player? No
Although I am getting a little tired of ESPN's coverage of Heat training camp...Josh Elliot just rubs me as a moron.

And to the poster above, no he hasn't lost everyone's respect, because he hasn't lost mine. I believe I know myself more than you know me, so please, refrain from speaking for me in the future please know-it-all?

Korman12
09-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Kobe will always outrank LeBron in my opinion. What has LBJ done that Kobe hasn't? I wish the media would stop comparing these two to Jordan and start comparing them to each other.

Facts are facts, stats are stats, and Kobe is better than LBJ bar none and has proven to be a champion with and without a future hall-of-famer within his cast. LBJ has never won a championship ever and clearly felt he needed to join to other All-Stars in order to do be a champion, so he knows it himself. His move to Miami is pathetic and selfish, which is why everyone lost all respect for him. Race has zero to do with it and the fact that he's using the race card will only hurt his acceptance amongst fans even more.

I love how you say stats are stats and then completely ignore them.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2010, 09:19 PM

without Kobe's roster support over his career, nobody would be talking about him as a top 10 player. There is absolutely no arguing that. Btw, Kobe's stats will never compare with LeBron's.

daleja424
09-30-2010, 09:28 PM
if Lebron wins a hand full of rings there is no reason his legacy shouldnt exceed Kobe... better stats with just as many rings...

Mrphilly
09-30-2010, 10:04 PM
if Lebron wins a hand full of rings there is no reason his legacy shouldnt exceed Kobe... better stats with just as many rings...

I don't know why I quoted you...

Once people understand that TV and radio is a business, they won't question why all they talk about is Lebron. Ratings is the name of the game, you can cover Lebron and get high ratings or you can cover every team equally and get average ratiings. Thesre people are making money off of Lebron. The only way this is made possible, is because Lebron is such a great player.

Lebron has surpassed the hyype,. No he doesn't have a ring, but if he retires without one, he will go down as the greatest player never to win one.

fire2last
09-30-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm afraid to call him overhyped cuz LeBron might label me a racist.

JARVIS123
09-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Hell no! season 29.7 ppg, 1 bpg, 1.6 spg, 8.6 apg, 7.3 rpg, 50%fg. playoffs, 29.1 ppg, 1.8 bpg, 1.7 spg, 7.6 apg, 9.3 rpg.career, 27.8 ppg, 0.9 bpg, 1.7 spg, 7.0 apg, 7 rpg. how in the hell is he over rated!

VillaMaravilla
09-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Mad overated and a quitter

kArSoN RyDaH
09-30-2010, 10:53 PM
without Kobe's roster support over his career, nobody would be talking about him as a top 10 player. There is absolutely no arguing that. Btw, Kobe's stats will never compare with LeBron's.

and for the reasons you stated kobes stats will never be like lebrons.

kobe plays in a triangle offense where no one averages over 4-5 assists.

kobe plays with 3 7 footers so his rebounding isnt going to be like lebrons.
- also he is 6' 6 and skinny not bulky like lebron and 6 8 6 9

kobes scoring efficiency will never be like lebrons because he takes the most mid range jumpers out of any shooter in nba history. lebron takes closer easier shots.

i know you know all of this stuff but i think its not a fair argument when comparing two different players with two different games and two totally different teams.

pujolsdabomb5
09-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Arguably the most talented player to walk this earth. Best player not necessarily but his combination of size, speed, athletic ability seems to be unmatched. Two MVPS before his 25th birthday, and now on the best team (on paper) that people have seen in a long time. Worth the hype? I think he might be

RedRicanoBx
09-30-2010, 11:11 PM

u know i was going to put my 2 cents in this but i never thought of it that way... maybe that is why everyone goes crazy i mean come on hes the first guy i know ever to have a 1 hr special on where he decides to go... hmm guess we will see...

ldawg
09-30-2010, 11:26 PM
He has big,strong,guick so he has allot of potential but he has been over hype from high school so it did not stop there. Remember pay-per-view high school games? when have you heard about that before? an hour long special to announce a team? So yes I would say he is over hyped. Mj, Magic, Shaq and a few others were better performers and did not get this type of attention. I don't fall for the Media hype. I always liked Wade and Kobe over Lebron they made a name for themselves working hard. Kobe had to prove his greatness over and over again to none believers. Lebron was given the key without doing anything and has not done anything with it he is more glitter than gold. With him playing with Wade a player i thought was a more determined player than him to begin with don't help. I can never place Lebron over some of the past greats so yes he is over hyped. To be the man you got to beat the man. Lebron has not broken any records of past greats so how can i rate him better? He is correct on what he said he is Lebron a different player and wish to take a different path. So far he has not stacked up to them. He has broken one record however so far, being the most hyped player in the history of the NBA. One thing is certain Mj is still the King, its the way he did it and dominate while doing it. Mj was a beast. Lebron might be able over power the young Mj but Mj would have found a way to win its not all about how strong or how fast.
Cavs failure fall on Lebron and his mother. He pointed fingers at all his teammates on his way out but he fail to look at his own short comings. His mom was a distraction and for Woman who never played ball blame coach brown and she molested his teammate West. Lebron however did all the right things but his timing to be great was off. In that position he was the exact opposite of what i saw the great MJ, Magic, Bird, Kobe and Wade did so the results was not surprising he did it on more than one occasions. He now has Wade to take the real burden so he can now be the vocal but false leader. Pat and Wade will be the real brain power behind the wheel in Miami.

ElMarroAfamado
09-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Yes. People thought he was "Great" enough to lead a team to a title (ala Michael Jordan) but everyone with a decent IQ knew that he was never going to win a title with the Cavs. Every year when everyone said they were a lock to win the title just because they had the best record bam they choked in the playoffs.

Now....they will not win a title this year, but they might win a couple later on down the road and it will be because of Wade and not Lebron James. The Lebron James hype should die down from this point forward because he has become a role player. I can imagine him turning to a Corey Maggette type player (cant shoot, relies solely on the paint and points for his production) and never again will people praise him like they did before. And personally i think thats great.

The only people that will root for the HEAT are HEAT Fans and bandwagoners or people that like cheating with them on NBA2k11.

Good Day

Sixerlover
09-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Did you just say LeBron will turn into a Corey MAGGETTE?? I've never used the block button, but that's pretty close. Sig worthy no doubt

Ovratd1up
09-30-2010, 11:33 PM
He's the best player since MJ that isn't a big.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Yes. People thought he was "Great" enough to lead a team to a title (ala Michael Jordan) but everyone with a decent IQ knew that he was never going to win a title with the Cavs. Every year when everyone said they were a lock to win the title just because they had the best record bam they choked in the playoffs.

Now....they will not win a title this year, but they might win a couple later on down the road and it will be because of Wade and not Lebron James. The Lebron James hype should die down from this point forward because he has become a role player. I can imagine him turning to a Corey Maggette type player (cant shoot, relies solely on the paint and points for his production) and never again will people praise him like they did before. And personally i think thats great.

The only people that will root for the HEAT are HEAT Fans and bandwagoners or people that like cheating with them on NBA2k11.

Good Day

we are all dumber after reading this. Did you actually just compare LeBron with Maggette?

Hawkeye15
09-30-2010, 11:41 PM
and for the reasons you stated kobes stats will never be like lebrons.

kobe plays in a triangle offense where no one averages over 4-5 assists.

kobe plays with 3 7 footers so his rebounding isnt going to be like lebrons.
- also he is 6' 6 and skinny not bulky like lebron and 6 8 6 9

kobes scoring efficiency will never be like lebrons because he takes the most mid range jumpers out of any shooter in nba history. lebron takes closer easier shots.

i know you know all of this stuff but i think its not a fair argument when comparing two different players with two different games and two totally different teams.

Hi there, I am Michael Jordan. I played in the triangle offense for years, and put up LeBron type efficiency. Nice to meet you.

Loaded rosters actually can help your efficiency.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Hi there, I am Michael Jordan. I played in the triangle offense for years, and put up LeBron type efficiency. Nice to meet you.

Loaded rosters actually can help your efficiency.

hi there. jordan never took the amount of mid range jumpers kobe bryant does.

Ovratd1up
09-30-2010, 11:49 PM
"Lebron takes closer easier shots"

How can this possibly be counted against him? Monta Ellis' efficiency is worse than Corey Wade because Wade takes closer easier shots. So Monta is better?

fantasytensai
09-30-2010, 11:53 PM

Ok...? What exactly are u trying to say? That taking mid range jumper makes you a better player? I'm sorry, I really just can't comprehend ur argument. Ur obviously trying to argue for an excuse of bryant having lower efficiency, and that excuse is more jump shots? Did anyone put a gun to his head and force him to shoot mid range jump shots? And the fact that he can't knock them down at a good enough efficiency is somehow MJ's fault? Dude...

Hawkeye15
09-30-2010, 11:55 PM

what point are you attempting to make? I don't even understand how that is applicable. Jordan put up insane numbers in the same offense Kobe plays in, with the same coach. Soooooooooo, attempting to use the triangle as an excuse for Kobe not putting up the efficiency numbers of LeBron, or any statistically dominant player on the perimeter, is a useless argument. Kobe is, and has been, amazing. But at this stage of his career, is individually overrated quite a bit, and will never will be able to compete with MJ. Ever. I can't stress that enough.
Now, when comparing him to other elite players, why shouldn't we judge him just like we did MJ? The "system" in which a player plays for, is of no consequence. Kobe is a scorer, always has been. Good for him.

I am so sick of people saying the triangle disrupts players efficiency, when the best player, in common sense, and statistically, played under the EXACT same system.

Get the FK over it. Kobe is special. Will go down top 10. He aint anymore. My god this is getting repetitive and annoying

Tony_Starks
10-01-2010, 12:05 AM
No. He's been selling out stadiums since he was a teenager and has the game to back it up. Beasley's overhyped. Rubio is overhyped. Not Lebron. He was hyped as a franchise player and guess what..... he's just that.

HairOiN
10-01-2010, 12:06 AM
everyone that is saying he isnt over hyped are miami fans ...well the majority...but he is over hyped. If he was still with the cavs you miami fans would be saying wade is better. I honestly feel wade is better than lebron. Not because he has a ring but he carried his heat team with less talent than last years cavs

fantasytensai
10-01-2010, 12:15 AM
everyone that is saying he isnt over hyped are miami fans ...well the majority...but he is over hyped. If he was still with the cavs you miami fans would be saying wade is better. I honestly feel wade is better than lebron. Not because he has a ring but he carried his heat team with less talent than last years cavs

Have fun watching these talents perform this year.

ldawg
10-01-2010, 12:46 AM
He's the best player since MJ that isn't a big.Sorry Kobe is. Kobe was never the most liked player and after his rape trial the nba turned on him he even stop getting star calls and yet he still became NBA best again that is rare most players would have folded. His greatness should not be questioned. Lebron has more talent than Kobe, Wade and MJ but yet they out performed him when it matters. put these 4 players in the daft at the same time you will pick Lebron every time Same with Shaq vs Magic, Bird, Kareem, Duncan. You pick Shaq every time. But are these two we all would draft the best player or they have the best potential? Mj, Kobe not the 1st overall pic and how many ring they have combine?

ldawg
10-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Lebron is the most hyped player in the history of the nba and he is not going to be a top ten player of all time. Wade has a better shot at it than Lebron. Hyped fans will not get him there. He was on his way until he went to Miami.

CLASSOF72
10-01-2010, 01:19 AM
We'll never know if LeWanda would of lived up to the hype now that he watered down his legacy by joining the Miami dream team. So I would suggest it's safe to say yes LeWanda was the most over hyped player in the NBA.

Mplsman
10-01-2010, 01:22 AM
Way too good to be over-hyped.

COBY KARL
10-01-2010, 01:31 AM
I dont think Lebron's over hyped. He's one of the few players who's actually lived up to it.
I dont even think Lebron is overrated. I mean you don't really hear discussion of putting him in the category of G.O.A.T. He's mainly been given the title of the best basketball player in the world or in the debate which is fair.

I do however think Lebron is over publicized. He's given far too much attention in the media.

Baby Gravy
10-01-2010, 01:55 AM

Agreed^^^^^
Lebron is a beast!!!! You hate em or love em the guy flat out is one of the most dominant players you will see in this era. I'm a die hard Bulls fan and never liked LBG but he is a Beast not comparble to MJ cuase what he did was unbeleiveable!!!!!!!!

Zefflin
10-01-2010, 02:29 AM
Lebron James has been the 2nd best player for the past 7 years. He's hyped. He's over hyped. Regardless of if he gets a ring or not he will probably go down top 10 all time. Kobe is already top 5. Lebron still has a chance (like kobe) to go down as the all time greatest player ever. Lebron James is a freak of nature. But if he doesn't start winning rings he will be known as that guy that jumped high and dunked hard. (that's why he ate his own words and became a ring chaser) Lebron can be the best player next season but if he doesn't start doing playoff damage and actually winning a game or three in the finals he will become the next AI.

mynameismo
10-01-2010, 06:57 AM
When you put up numbers that Lebron does.. it's not Hype.

ldawg
10-01-2010, 06:59 AM
He has big,strong,guick so he has allot of potential but he has been over hype from high school so it did not stop there. Remember pay-per-view high school games? when have you heard about that before? an hour long special to announce a team? So yes I would say he is over hyped. Mj, Magic, Shaq and a few others were better performers and did not get this type of attention. I don't fall for the Media hype. I always liked Wade and Kobe over Lebron they made a name for themselves working hard. Kobe had to prove his greatness over and over again to none believers. Lebron was given the key without doing anything and has not done anything with it he is more glitter than gold. With him playing with Wade a player i thought was a more determined player than him to begin with don't help. I can never place Lebron over some of the past greats so yes he is over hyped. To be the man you got to beat the man. Lebron has not broken any records of past greats so how can i rate him better? He is correct on what he said he is Lebron a different player and wish to take a different path. So far he has not stacked up to them. He has broken one record however so far, being the most hyped player in the history of the NBA. One thing is certain Mj is still the King, its the way he did it and dominate while doing it. Mj was a beast. Lebron might be able over power the young Mj but Mj would have found a way to win its not all about how strong or how fast.
Cavs failure fall on Lebron and his mother. He pointed fingers at all his teammates on his way out but he fail to look at his own short comings. His mom was a distraction and for Woman who never played ball blame coach brown and she molested his teammate West. Lebron however did all the right things but his timing to be great was off. In that position he was the exact opposite of what i saw the great MJ, Magic, Bird, Kobe and Wade did so the results was not surprising he did it on more than one occasions. He now has Wade to take the real burden so he can now be the vocal but false leader.
Lebron is over hype because of his potential he has dominate nothing he has broke 0 records.

icon1914
10-01-2010, 08:38 AM

Where do I start....

First Kobe is better than LBJ, when it comes to accomplishments, but he has been in the game longer. When Shaq and Kobe split, Kobe was given what he wanted... The top spot. With that top spot he lost two years in a row to the Suns in the first round. During that time Kobe *****ed and moaned about the Lakers not making moves, not competing.... He pretty much wanted out. It was not until the Lakers acquired Gasol that Lakers started to compete again... Helping them to two titles.

Now I'm not saying a Kobe led team, without another all star, should win a championship, but I don't expect them to lose in the first round... Two years in a row.... Once with a 3-1 lead on the Suns. Kobe NEEDED an all star level talent on his team to comepete... Nothing wrong with that, but that is something LeBron has never had ( please don't bring up Mo Williams cause he is not on par with Gasol in anyway).

LBJ has led a pretty terrible team to the finals, and a decent team to the best record in the league to the best record in the NBA two years in a row. I'm nit seeing these accomplishments trump Kobe, but they say something.

Point is Kobe is great, but he needed a solid team to show off that greatness. LeBron, for better or worse, has that.... He has two all star talents.... Hell, he has one superstar level talent.... No more excuses, but up until now he has almost been a one man show.... And for the most part he heeded the call. While he has not won a title, the man has accomplished much in very small amount of time.

Overhyped implies that people give him credit for things he has not accomplished.... I can't see how LeBron fits into that category.

tr3ymill3r
10-01-2010, 09:09 AM
He's 6'8" but runs as if he's 6'2''. He sees the court like nobody else since Magic. He dunks with the ferocity of Dominique. Quite simply he's one of the best overall players. I'm a Houston Rockets fan not a Heat fan or a LBJ bandwagon jock rider. I can simply see talent when I see it. Let's be honest, everyone who hates on him would trade their family for him to be on their team. Even if he never wins a title, just having him on your team gives you a better opportunity to win, sells jerseys and puts butts in the seats. If you take any hype away from him and pay no attention to him would be a little absurd.

omdigga
10-01-2010, 09:23 AM
no..
bron had espn at his HS games.. he came into the league as the most hyped player, but he backed up all the hype.. dude is tough.. im just hoping the media keep bothering and scrutinizing everything the heat do this season.. help slow them down..

Boo2u
10-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Absolutely the most over-hyped player -- but at least he has the talent to back it up and help justify the hype machine.

Carter305
10-01-2010, 09:45 AM
he is by far more popular than ANY NFL OR MLB PLAYER EVEN ANY NBA PLAYER!!!. THIS UPCOMING SEASON THE NBA WILL HAVE ALL OF THE SPORTS COVERAGE. MOST HYPED SEASON IN SPORTS PERIOD! SO MANY STORY LINES.

hugepatsfan
10-01-2010, 09:54 AM
He is the most overhyped player. But that doesn't mean he isn't incredible. People just act like he is the second coming of Jesus.

Antipod
10-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Another Lebron thread...:eyebrow:

IndiansFan337
10-01-2010, 10:49 AM
No, he is an unbelievably talented player. He is easily the top player currently in the NBA. Argue all you want that due to his lack of championships that he's not on the best player in the NBA, but he has more talent than any other current player.

Tha Truth
10-01-2010, 10:58 AM
How can a player that wins 2 straight MVPs be OVER hyped?

That doesn't make sense.

IHeartNY
10-01-2010, 03:16 PM
He isn't overhyped. The guy can play some serious ball or not ... ?

But, he's a crybaby and hasn't won a ring yet, so ... compared to other players he sometimes gets a bit too much credit and way too much superlatives surounding him, imo. And he definitely is not the best player in the league at the moment. He maybe is the one with most talent though ...

Jewelz0376
10-01-2010, 03:20 PM
he is by far more popular than ANY NFL OR MLB PLAYER EVEN ANY NBA PLAYER!!!. THIS UPCOMING SEASON THE NBA WILL HAVE ALL OF THE SPORTS COVERAGE. MOST HYPED SEASON IN SPORTS PERIOD! SO MANY STORY LINES.

actually no worldwide he's not more popular than Kobe...

Zefflin
10-01-2010, 03:45 PM
he is by far more popular than ANY NFL OR MLB PLAYER EVEN ANY NBA PLAYER!!!

Wtf carter you wanna be prom king. You're comparing popularity with what?? Being popular isn't like being beloved or revered. By your logic Lebron and Snookie have a lot in common.

Zefflin
10-01-2010, 03:51 PM
actually no worldwide he's not more popular than Kobe...

Exactly the child is clueless to the world.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Tiger-Woods-now-tied-with-Kobe-Bryant-as-most-po?urn=golf-257341

kArSoN RyDaH
10-01-2010, 04:18 PM
what point are you attempting to make? I don't even understand how that is applicable. Jordan put up insane numbers in the same offense Kobe plays in, with the same coach. Soooooooooo, attempting to use the triangle as an excuse for Kobe not putting up the efficiency numbers of LeBron, or any statistically dominant player on the perimeter, is a useless argument. Kobe is, and has been, amazing. But at this stage of his career, is individually overrated quite a bit, and will never will be able to compete with MJ. Ever. I can't stress that enough.
Now, when comparing him to other elite players, why shouldn't we judge him just like we did MJ? The "system" in which a player plays for, is of no consequence. Kobe is a scorer, always has been. Good for him.

I am so sick of people saying the triangle disrupts players efficiency, when the best player, in common sense, and statistically, played under the EXACT same system.

Get the FK over it. Kobe is special. Will go down top 10. He aint anymore. My god this is getting repetitive and annoying

wtf why dont you calm your little azz down homie. dont get your panties in a bunch because someone disagrees with you.

i was saying the reason kobes fg% is not high because his shot selection. assists? no one in the triangle even jordan averaged as many assists as lebron. rebounds? same thing. thats all i was saying. no one said triangle disrupted his efficiency i said his shot selection. he shoots more mid range jumpers and those are tougher shots than driving to the basket.

so calm your azz down.kobe will be top 5 not top 10. no one is overrated. overrated is lebron!!!!!

pedrofan45
10-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Because he's the best player in the world

Chacarron
10-01-2010, 05:58 PM
No but I find that on their website they talk about the Lakers more than any other team (except the Heat) I wasn't taking a shot at you...and I was clearly exaggerating by saying 50%. Grow up kid. Don't be so sensitive it makes you look childish!

I'm sorry old timer. Didn't mean to rub you the wrong way pops.

koreancabbage
10-01-2010, 06:17 PM
he's just the best player on the floor every night. doesn't matter what team or players on the floor. When he's on the court, he's the best basketball player out there.

Wilson
10-01-2010, 06:37 PM
He's not over-hyped. He is tremendously hyped, but he's backed it up. People throw out the fact that he's yet to win a championship but I think they forget that Michael Jordan was 27 when he won his first championship. LeBron also has two of the highest single season PER ratings ever recorded. He's a great player, there's no question about it.

I personally dislike his actions at times, all the theatrical stuff before games irritates me. With that being said, I still don't see why he takes so much heat for it, it's nothing worse than what Shaquille O'Neal has done over the last decade and people adored him for it.

It's obvious that he lost a lot of fans because of The Decision, I don't really know what else to say about that. To a lot of people it made him appear completely arrogant, which rarely goes down well.

Overall though I think the modern sports media scene is the main culprit behind the supposed over-hype of LeBron James. We're in an era where anyone can go and post their opinions about LeBron, and then everyone can respond to each other's opinions. We're saturated by LeBron stories every day just because anyone and everyone can write their opinions on him - it would have been no different for guys like George Mikan, Bill Russel, Wilt Camberlain, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird or anyone else had media existed then like it does today.

They're my thoughts at least...

jkcronyn
10-01-2010, 06:45 PM
nah lebron can create for himself so can kobe and durant and anyone who can score 30 a night without a side kick can't be overhyped... carmelo is close to being overhyped and for sure amare is because he's never been great unless he's had a great pg by his side

jerellh528
10-01-2010, 09:30 PM
He is a modern day version of what sports are supposed to be like...

He cares...

He works...

He appreciates...

He strives to be the best this world has ever seen everyday...

If more players cared about the game the way he does and less about their hairspray endorsements, LeBron wouldn't be as built up as he is...

It's not so much LeBron on the court as it is the entire package that he presents to the media... People see an intense, cut throat, once in a generation talent that has the work ethic to make him the best ever...

It's almost refreshing...

Is this sarcasm? lol

ldawg
10-01-2010, 10:28 PM
over hyped

icej
10-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Ok...? What exactly are u trying to say? That taking mid range jumper makes you a better player? I'm sorry, I really just can't comprehend ur argument. Ur obviously trying to argue for an excuse of bryant having lower efficiency, and that excuse is more jump shots? Did anyone put a gun to his head and force him to shoot mid range jump shots? And the fact that he can't knock them down at a good enough efficiency is somehow MJ's fault? Dude...

And..

Finally, Thank you. Now I know I am not the only one around who have also watched the NBA during the 80's and 90's.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-01-2010, 11:22 PM
He probably is but he makes a good case to get that hype with his accomplishments.

But the bigger problem is that why Lebron gets **** for it when he's not doing nothing wrong. Blame the media. He's just living his life. It's not his fault he's popular.

smiddy012
10-02-2010, 02:57 AM
LEBRON IS OVER-HYPED, HES BEEN ONE OF THE PEOPLE OVER-HYPING HIMSELF.

So according to Lebron, hes going to win 7+ championships, he doesnt care what the all-time great thinks, and he believes the color of his skin is a determining factor as to how people/the media "spin" his words & actions.

He's an entitled little punk. What dont people get about this? Sure, he's not mentally developed and I suppose thats not his fault, but to say he isnt over-hyped is just BS, as he is guilty of over-hyping himself himself.

Kids a poster-boy for the "entitled" generation, and I would know as Im part of it.

smiddy012
10-02-2010, 03:01 AM
Lebron believes that him, Wade, and Bosh can win 7 Championships.

So why are we holding him to a lesser standard?

Because we aren't stupid or arrogant enough to believe that theyre better than the 90s Bulls (unlike mr. entitled).

Denver-boy
10-02-2010, 03:08 AM
dude had a grown mans body at age ten, to I dare to ask why anyone would ask this question?

kobe_23chembace
10-02-2010, 03:43 AM
uhmmm,,whatever,,but he is a freak of nature..better than wade/kobe,,

smiddy012
10-02-2010, 03:43 AM
"It's like watching a movie," the Basketball Hall of Famer added. "Just when you think it couldn't get any stupider, it gets more stupid."

Barkley on Lebron and his (more recent) actions/words.

smiddy012
10-02-2010, 03:48 AM
uhmmm,,whatever,,but he is a freak of nature..better than wade/kobe,,

Lebron never will and never has been better than Kobe. Lebron will be lucky if he leaves the league with one tenth the respect Kobe has right now (or even 3 championships).

Presently, in the grand scheme of things, Lebron has done NOTHING but help Kobe's image/legacy. Not only does Lebron now make a fool of himself consistently, but on top of that he doesnt even have one championship to back him up.

Kobe is now mentioned with the likes of MJ because of Lebrons lack of judgment. Kobe knows he's better than Lebron, as its obvious he is a man (and a reasonable thinker).

Is Dan Marino the best QB or all time? Oh wait, I forget, Im talking to Miami fans...

Did I just compare Dan Marino to Lebron? Yes. Does Dan Marino deserve that? Heck no, he didnt **** over his team and abandon Miami. Plus he's one of the greatest ever of his sport. If Lebron is, he sure as heck hasnt proved it yet.

Lebron will go down as one of the most talented basketball players of all time, but he will also go down as one of the biggest wastes of potential in basketball history. He's already done enough to rule himself out as one of the greatest ever.

gbrl
10-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Kobe is now mentioned with the likes of MJ because of Lebrons lack of judgment. Kobe knows he's better than Lebron, as its obvious he is a man (and a reasonable thinker).

by who. lets compare a younger kobe to lebron now

smiddy012
10-02-2010, 05:47 AM
by who. lets compare a younger kobe to lebron now

From a social/professional/maturity standpoint theyre not even comparable up to age 26. Do you sincerely think any of MJ/Magic/Bird/Kobe would have given up on their teams (and themselves) in a playoff series??? They look down on him for **** like that, that is inexcusable in their eyes.

Try to put this in some historic context, or help me out here even. Name me some of the greatest players of all-time, with in their respective sports, who EVIDENTLY gave up on their team when it mattered most.

Lebron has provided us a measure of his character thus far (for more evidence see race comments).

Hard to blame the kid considering his background but pure talent will only get you so far. MJ wasnt the best because he was the most talented (those who know MJ should get what I mean here). But yeah, I get it, Lebron doesnt want to be the best, he only knows inferiority.

DenButsu
10-02-2010, 05:59 AM
I don't think so. He's one of the best players, and it's normal and natural that the best get the most hype. Don't get me wrong, I get sick of it too (especially now with Melo).

But tom me to be over hyped means there's a great disparity between the quality of player and the media attention.

So for example I'd say Ellis gets more over hyped.

But really I guess this just means over rated. Which makes me wonder why this is still open.

Deepfried_chix
10-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Hype:A fad. A clever marketing strategy which a product is advertized as the thing everyone must have, to the point where people begin to feel they need to consume it.

In Lebron's case he is a player being over-analyzed by the media due to his vastly great talents to the point which every game the Heat play will become "must see" basketball.

No, he is not over-hyped. As he is not a fad, according to the definition.

2. to create interest in by flamboyant or dramatic methods; promote or publicize showily: a promoter who knows how to hype a prizefight.
3. to intensify (advertising, promotion, or publicity) by ingenious or questionable claims, methods, etc. (usually fol. by up).
4. to trick; gull.
-noun
5. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
6. an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.
7. a swindle, deception, or trick.

Lil Rhody
10-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I have never liked him..... I cant stand his style of play. He is a wrecking ball out on the court and plows his way to the rim every time..... He is not an artist on the floor like Kobe or Wade

eXpLiiCt
10-02-2010, 11:05 AM
What has he done.

Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
03-04 CLE 79 79 39.5 0.417 0.290 0.754 1.3 4.2 5.5 5.9 1.6 0.7 3.46 1.89 20.9
04-05 CLE 80 80 42.4 0.472 0.351 0.750 1.4 6.0 7.3 7.2 2.2 0.6 3.27 1.82 27.2
05-06 CLE 79 79 42.5 0.480 0.335 0.738 0.9 6.1 7.0 6.6 1.6 0.8 3.29 2.29 31.4
06-07 CLE 78 78 40.9 0.476 0.319 0.698 1.1 5.7 6.7 6.0 1.6 0.7 3.21 2.19 27.3
07-08 CLE 75 74 40.4 0.484 0.315 0.712 1.8 6.1 7.9 7.2 1.8 1.1 3.40 2.20 30.0
08-09 CLE 81 81 37.7 0.489 0.344 0.780 1.3 6.3 7.6 7.2 1.7 1.2 2.98 1.72 28.4
09-10 CLE 76 76 39.0 0.503 0.333 0.767 0.9 6.4 7.3 8.6 1.6 1.0 3.43 1.57 29.7
Career -- 548 547 40.3 0.475 0.329 0.742 1.2 5.8 7.0 7.0 1.7 0.9 3.29 1.95 27.8
All-Star -- 6 6 25.3 0.504 0.350 0.667 0.8 5.5 6.3 5.3 1.8 0.3 2.83 1.00 23.7

ink
10-02-2010, 01:00 PM
What has he done.

Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
03-04 CLE 79 79 39.5 0.417 0.290 0.754 1.3 4.2 5.5 5.9 1.6 0.7 3.46 1.89 20.9
04-05 CLE 80 80 42.4 0.472 0.351 0.750 1.4 6.0 7.3 7.2 2.2 0.6 3.27 1.82 27.2
05-06 CLE 79 79 42.5 0.480 0.335 0.738 0.9 6.1 7.0 6.6 1.6 0.8 3.29 2.29 31.4
06-07 CLE 78 78 40.9 0.476 0.319 0.698 1.1 5.7 6.7 6.0 1.6 0.7 3.21 2.19 27.3
07-08 CLE 75 74 40.4 0.484 0.315 0.712 1.8 6.1 7.9 7.2 1.8 1.1 3.40 2.20 30.0
08-09 CLE 81 81 37.7 0.489 0.344 0.780 1.3 6.3 7.6 7.2 1.7 1.2 2.98 1.72 28.4
09-10 CLE 76 76 39.0 0.503 0.333 0.767 0.9 6.4 7.3 8.6 1.6 1.0 3.43 1.57 29.7
Career -- 548 547 40.3 0.475 0.329 0.742 1.2 5.8 7.0 7.0 1.7 0.9 3.29 1.95 27.8
All-Star -- 6 6 25.3 0.504 0.350 0.667 0.8 5.5 6.3 5.3 1.8 0.3 2.83 1.00 23.7

Let's conclude with this. I think we've had this discussion before, and these threads usually don't end well. Let's end this one on a high note.