PDA

View Full Version : Lind/Overbay platoon

nithanyo
09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Not necessarily a platoon but have each other switching roles between DH and first base. I wouldnt give more than 3 mill to overbay but his defense at first is valuable as seen the last few days. I would like to have overbay mentor lind at first while both get good playing time. Lind is too young to be a full-time DH already. If he can play good defense we might be able to get a veteran DH to fill out that position

peteroseforever
09-30-2010, 12:56 PM
I could be totally off in saying this but would the Jays be smart to look into Prince Fielder?

I love Overbay's defense but he is what he is as a hittin and AA consistenly talks about wanting to get Superstar caliber players, which prince could be power wise. You know your gettin 30-40 bombs a year and 100rbis. Paitent hitter, legit clean up bat. We have depth in the Brewers position of need. SP. I think a deal could be worked out. Using Zach Stewart and Chad jenkins to start a deal. I would say if we can swing it and keep our 5 man rotation in tact, its a deal that would look good for us. I think its just time for a change from Lyle

jon32
09-30-2010, 01:42 PM
I could be totally off in saying this but would the Jays be smart to look into Prince Fielder?

I love Overbay's defense but he is what he is as a hittin and AA consistenly talks about wanting to get Superstar caliber players, which prince could be power wise. You know your gettin 30-40 bombs a year and 100rbis. Paitent hitter, legit clean up bat. We have depth in the Brewers position of need. SP. I think a deal could be worked out. Using Zach Stewart and Chad jenkins to start a deal. I would say if we can swing it and keep our 5 man rotation in tact, its a deal that would look good for us. I think its just time for a change from Lyle

I'm assuming your thought would be to have Prince at DH? I've thought about this before and would be all for it.

returnofvdub'10
09-30-2010, 02:08 PM
AA also said he was looking for "athletic" type players...Not sure if Fat Boy fits into that philosophy...

having said that, I would be THRILLED to have Fielder as a DH...we need a guy like that!

...and I never thought I would say this, but I really hope the Jays bring back Overbay....

JimBob
09-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Going after a player like Fielder would mean that the payroll would be jumping. I don't think ownership and AA believe we are quite at that spot yet. We are still more than one player away from contending.

The Overbay/Lind platoon won't happen. Although Overbay has had a very average season he is still going to get offered approx. $5 million per year from a team during the offseason.

If the Jays were to match that type of offer and keep Overbay you basically have to give him the full-time 1B duties due to his superior defensive skills compared to Lind. There is no reason for a team to play the lesser of the two (Lind) while the one with greater skills (Overbay) DH's. His salary will be to high to bench bat.

If we want Lind to play 1B we have to just give him the spot and sign a cheap backup who has good defensive skills. The Jays had a golden opportunity to give Lind more game practice this season due to the fact that they havn't been contending since May. However, Cito decided that things were gonna go his way, and not the teams way.

In other words Overbay will be to expensive to use this way.

T.O. Fan
09-30-2010, 02:20 PM
AA also said he was looking for "athletic" type players...Not sure if Fat Boy fits into that philosophy...

having said that, I would be THRILLED to have Fielder as a DH...we need a guy like that!

...and I never thought I would say this, but I really hope the Jays bring back Overbay....

Exactly.

Guys "like" Crawford, or even Gardner.

BlueJayFanDan
09-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Fielder would be awesome as a Blue Jay but it wont happen. Also on the note of the subject of this thread, I love Overbay's defense but I cant watch him on offense. He has to go.

returnofvdub'10
09-30-2010, 02:49 PM
yeah I know Overbay has struggled somewhat this year with the bat but the guy has 20hrs and 36 doubles in an "off year" ...add his glove to that equation and he becomes more attractive to the team overall...I guarantee if he is let go, some team picks him up in a flash!

BlueJayCarter
09-30-2010, 02:57 PM

Not a good trade idea. I would be impressed if Prince came to Toronto but I think he is headed to the bright lights of Broadway ... Yankees or Mets it really does not matter.

BlueJayCarter
09-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Hey ... Fat Boy can take out a few fielders with his sliding ability. I still remember that slide where he took out I think Craig Counsel or someone like that.

peteroseforever
09-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Well would Fielder DH, do you think Lind is better than him at 1B,

And ya I think AA meant athletic players at athletic positions, nobody cares if your one bag is an athlete or not. I just feel like he could be had for a reasonable price, and we are gonna be shedding salary from our bullpen, Lyle makes 7 mil, so that would cover most of Prince's salary this year anyways?

I just feel like our rotation is set for the next 4-6 years at least and we have all these young kids coming up, why not deal it for something useful?

jon32
09-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Well would Fielder DH, do you think Lind is better than him at 1B,

And ya I think AA meant athletic players at athletic positions, nobody cares if your one bag is an athlete or not. I just feel like he could be had for a reasonable price, and we are gonna be shedding salary from our bullpen, Lyle makes 7 mil, so that would cover most of Prince's salary this year anyways?

I just feel like our rotation is set for the next 4-6 years at least and we have all these young kids coming up, why not deal it for something useful?

Feilder would absolutley have to DH, he plays in the NL so he has to play a position, the guy needs to be in the AL and be a DH, hes just to heavy to play 1st base for much longer. I think Boston is going to try and go after him and do whatever it takes to get him tho, which if we even tried im sure Rogers would back away from the money it would take to win a bidding war with Boston.

peteroseforever
09-30-2010, 05:24 PM
no bidding war he isnt a FA?

jon32
09-30-2010, 07:33 PM
no bidding war he isnt a FA?

true, my bad I was thinkin he was FA this year but not till 2011

jaysnraptors44
10-02-2010, 08:15 PM
prince fielder here could happen easily . we have everything milwaukee needs

wamco
10-02-2010, 11:01 PM
I don't see how overbay could command more than 1 yr 3.5M as a FA.