PDA

View Full Version : Should playoff seeding change?

lavell12
09-30-2010, 10:47 AM
I believe the MLB needs to change the seeding so that the teams with the best record in their league are seeded in that order and if a Wild Card team has a better record than a division winner that Wild Card should get homefield. I say keep it the same on how to get in the playoffs but change the seeding.

Pinstripe pride
09-30-2010, 10:53 AM
no, you have to give the division winner something or theres no point to having divisions

LoveOfTheGame
09-30-2010, 11:04 AM
If one thing needs to be changed in the playoffs its the scheduling. Way too many off days. If you make the playoffs you should have to use your whole team. We aren't seeing who has the best rotation and best lineup in the playoffs. We are seeing who has the best three starting pitchers and best lineup. Each team gets to eliminate their two worst starting pitchers in the playoffs so a team like the Phillies get to use Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels and leave their other two pitchers out.

Everything else is fine. Just fix the scheduling and make a team have to use their whole team, not eliminate the weak links.

bringinwood
09-30-2010, 11:14 AM
If one thing needs to be changed in the playoffs its the scheduling. Way too many off days. If you make the playoffs you should have to use your whole team. We aren't seeing who has the best rotation and best lineup in the playoffs. We are seeing who has the best three starting pitchers and best lineup. Each team gets to eliminate their two worst starting pitchers in the playoffs so a team like the Phillies get to use Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels and leave their other two pitchers out.

Everything else is fine. Just fix the scheduling and make a team have to use their whole team, not eliminate the weak links.

Another advantage of being the division winner is picking the schedule...

The Phils had different dates they could start their division series and they chose the best one for their rotation...

I can't fault them for that as most teams would line up their rotation so they get the best matchups... It's just part of having the best record in the league....

As for the seedings, I agree with that... They do need to change the seedings so that if you win the wild card and you have a better record then the other two teams, you get homefield in the first round...

Otherwise, what is the point of posting 95 wins in the AL East if you don't get a homefield advantage during the 1st round because another one of the teams had 98 wins... An AL central team could post an 88 win season and gain homefield... That's horsecrap...

It's not like that same AL East team is going to get homefield if they and the division winner make the ALCS...

Pinstripe pride
09-30-2010, 11:14 AM
i'd be ok with them changing the rule that makes it so you can't play your own division in the first round

bringinwood
09-30-2010, 11:20 AM
no, you have to give the division winner something or theres no point to having divisions

Actually, there is more incentive there to win every game... You aren't losing playoff teams... You're just changing the possibilities for a team that has a substantially better record to gain an advantage they should have earned and would have if they played in another division....

The mentality of the division winner now is to rest their starters after they clinch... If the wildcard team had a chance at having a better record than 3/4 of the playoff field and the other two teams stood a chance at losing homefield, they would play hard to the end to get homefield...

As it stands now, a team can win 103 games but if another team wins 106, the wildcard team is out of luck for a homefield advantage in the first round even though they would have, more than likely, been 10 games up on another division winner...

There is something not right about that...

LoveOfTheGame
09-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Another advantage of being the division winner is picking the schedule...

The Phils had different dates they could start their division series and they chose the best one for their rotation...

I can't fault them for that as most teams would line up their rotation so they get the best matchups... It's just part of having the best record in the league....

As for the seedings, I agree with that... They do need to change the seedings so that if you win the wild card and you have a better record then the other two teams, you get homefield in the first round...

Otherwise, what is the point of posting 95 wins in the AL East if you don't get a homefield advantage during the 1st round because another one of the teams had 98 wins... An AL central team could post an 88 win season and gain homefield... That's horsecrap...

It's not like that same AL East team is going to get homefield if they and the division winner make the ALCS...

They shouldn't allow that. They shouldn't allow you to "pick your schedule". Each team should have the same schedule. I don't have a problem with the better seed getting more home games but make it so there is less off days so each team has to use all 4-5 pitchers in their rotation.

bringinwood
09-30-2010, 11:27 AM
They shouldn't allow that. They shouldn't allow you to "pick your schedule". Each team should have the same schedule. I don't have a problem with the better seed getting more home games but make it so there is less off days so each team has to use all 4-5 pitchers in their rotation.

They just picked the date the series starts which determines whether its a 7 day series or an 8 day series...

They will, obviously, pick the 8 day series so they can pitch their big three on more rest...

If they didn't earn homefield throughout the playoffs, they wouldn't have this advantage...

Each team has the same schedule... The Phils just picked when the series was going to start because their 1st round series will start in Philly...

d79cheese
09-30-2010, 11:33 AM
I believe the MLB needs to change the seeding so that the teams with the best record in their league are seeded in that order and if a Wild Card team has a better record than a division winner that Wild Card should get homefield. I say keep it the same on how to get in the playoffs but change the seeding.

it used to be like that...in 1997 the giants won the west with 90 wins and the marlins won the WC with 92 wins and the marlins had homefield

koldjerky
09-30-2010, 12:03 PM

There really is no point of divisions. When you have teams finishing with better records they shouldn't be punished because the team in their own division finished with a better record.

LoveOfTheGame
09-30-2010, 12:06 PM
There really is no point of divisions. When you have teams finishing with better records they shouldn't be punished because the team in their own division finished with a better record.

Well in order for this "proposal" to happen, a realignment would have to happen first. Like pinstripe said if you're just giving the best 4 teams playoffs then divisions have no point.

koldjerky
09-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Well in order for this "proposal" to happen, a realignment would have to happen first. Like pinstripe said if you're just giving the best 4 teams playoffs then divisions have no point.

Geographically it would be tough but for fairness that'd be the best idea.

Just think about what would happen if the top 4 teams went in to the playoffs from each league how many playoffs would be different. In 2006 St Louis didn't even have one of the top 4 records in the NL and they won the WS. And that's just one example.

Pinstripe pride
09-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Actually, there is more incentive there to win every game... You aren't losing playoff teams... You're just changing the possibilities for a team that has a substantially better record to gain an advantage they should have earned and would have if they played in another division....

The mentality of the division winner now is to rest their starters after they clinch... If the wildcard team had a chance at having a better record than 3/4 of the playoff field and the other two teams stood a chance at losing homefield, they would play hard to the end to get homefield...

As it stands now, a team can win 103 games but if another team wins 106, the wildcard team is out of luck for a homefield advantage in the first round even though they would have, more than likely, been 10 games up on another division winner...

There is something not right about that...

so whats the point of divisions then? why not just take the top 4 teams and seed them? you can't take away the benifit of winning the division because it them makes divisions pointless. if the wild card is good enough, they should be able to win a single road game in the LDS and LCS, since we know the WS is based on the allstar game. changing the seeding would have to result in the end of divisions. The other thing is that if you change it for that reason, what happens when 2 teams finish better than a division winner and one doesn't make it becuase of only one wild card? making these changes would cause more harm than good

Pinstripe pride
09-30-2010, 12:13 PM

i agree. i am for the reseeding, but not if their are divisions. i'm fine just taking the top 4 teams and not having divisions. the difference is i know this will never happen because it destroys some teams playoff hopes. it seems to me its an all or nothing thing. they will never strip a division winner of their benifits without also taking division titles

koldjerky
09-30-2010, 12:23 PM
i agree. i am for the reseeding, but not if their are divisions. i'm fine just taking the top 4 teams and not having divisions. the difference is i know this will never happen because it destroys some teams playoff hopes. it seems to me its an all or nothing thing. they will never strip a division winner of their benifits without also taking division titles

There are 4 playoff spots and 3 divisions. The fact that winning a division guarantees you a spot in the playoffs that should be enough.

I'd rather see the top 4 teams (record-wise) make it to the playoffs but if they aren't going to change that than the next best thing would not guarantee all 3 division winners the top 3 seeds. They would arrange it by best to worst record.

Twins Fan 7
09-30-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't see why the Yanks can't play the Rays. Who cares if they are from the same division, it would only add more to the rivalry.