PDA

View Full Version : Shocking News- Shaq: "I want Howard to win a ring"

MagicBucsSox
09-30-2010, 01:51 AM
Shaquille O’Neal said he has no hard feeling towards Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard despite once calling the young center an “imposter.” Matter-of-fact, he wants to see Howard bring a NBA championship to the city of Orlando one day — of course, just not this season while he is competing for the Boston Celtics.

“I know what I have to say and what I have to do to get the game popping,” Shaq said when asked about his relationship with Dwight Howard during a media appearance at a 24-hour Fitness Center in downtown Orlando. “So if people don’t think I like him, then come watch the game and it will be a sold out game and my marketing techniques works like it’s always been working, then I know what I’m doing.”

“But in real life, he’s cool, a great young player, represents the big men very well and when I’m done, I don’t really see anybody in his way. Hopefully he can win a couple of championships for the city because it’s a beautiful city, I’ve been living here 20 years and I’ll be living here for the next 20 years so hopefully he’ll get them there and take them over the top. Because if he doesn’t get them over the top, he’s going to get the blame.”

Interesting to know Shaq, at least from his part, views his past feuds as exaggerated WWE-ish marketing strategies. He certainly has a keen understanding of controversy, ticket sales and television ratings. The Kobe Bryant vs. Shaq games used to dominate the coveted Christmas day time slot.

I doubt, though, if some of the guys on the receiving end of ”Shaq feuds” were in on the joke.
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports-sentinel-sports-now/2010/09/20/shaq-wants-to-see-dwight-howard-and-orlando-magic-win-championship/

John Walls Era
09-30-2010, 02:00 AM
Once again Shaq is overvaluing himself. Suns vs Magic? Cavs vs Magic? Those games would sell out regardless...

JiffyMix88
09-30-2010, 02:01 AM
cool he wants dwight to win a ring for his city

mynameismo
09-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Ahhh Okay. Before things get out of hand.. again..

Marketing

knickfan4life
09-30-2010, 02:49 AM
old news

Wade>You
09-30-2010, 03:08 AM
"... so hopefully he’ll get them there and take them over the top. Because if he doesn’t get them over the top, he’s going to get the blame.”

Uncalled for but true. Dwight Howard and guys like Derrick Rose and Kevin Durant are gonna have an enormous amount of pressure to win because of the expectations to be the anti-LeBron/Bosh. What happens if these guys don't start living up to the expectations and want to win a championship?

stawka
09-30-2010, 03:53 AM
I'd love to see Dwight work with Shaq when Shaq retires. Argh!!

Stay_Swim
09-30-2010, 04:56 AM
Shaq is such a d-bag.

DodgerBulls
09-30-2010, 06:04 AM
I'd love to see Dwight work with Shaq when Shaq retires. Argh!!

That wud be scary if that ever happens. He'd probably wants dwight to gain more body fat so he can abuse people inside just like shaq did. I don't know if shaq still has the money to be a part owner he said he'd like to be.

Avenged
09-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Well, it's about time Shaq isn't running his mouth in a negative way. That's actually the first of the few I can say I respect something Shaq said.

dickydick8
09-30-2010, 11:25 AM
shaq is one of the highest grossing sports stars ever. he knows what he's doing

Da Knicks
09-30-2010, 11:32 AM
marketing guru, shaq was taught well by david aka "mr laker, celtic" stern.

BOSTON617
09-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Well, it's about time Shaq isn't running his mouth in a negative way. That's actually the first of the few I can say I respect something Shaq said.

this

still1ballin
09-30-2010, 12:41 PM
He is getting annoying. He just needs to shut his trap and concentrate on his upcoming year with the C's.

Boo2u
09-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Shaq seems to be mellowing a bit with age... but wishful thinking still1ballin -- because he loves the spotlight and loves to talk, so he won't be shutting his yap. In fact, he's got more time to talk now that he's taken a role position, right?

RaiderLakersA's
09-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Uncalled for but true. Dwight Howard and guys like Derrick Rose and Kevin Durant are gonna have an enormous amount of pressure to win because of the expectations to be the anti-LeBron/Bosh. What happens if these guys don't start living up to the expectations and want to win a championship?

Let's not be too quick to credit LeBron or Bosh for this expectation. It's existed since before either man was born.

EVERY franchise player has the burden to get their team to the promised land, and fair or not, they get the lion's share of the blame when they fail. Hate to fall back on a comic book standard, but with great power comes great responsibility. Or if you prefer, to whom much is given, much is expected.

And it doesn't stop with winning just one title. Just ask Kobe. Or Tim Duncan. Or Magic. Or Bird. Or even Jordan. They'll tell you what the pressure to stay on top feels like. Sure, each man embraces it differently, but the pressure is always there.

bringinwood
09-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Then he doesn't want a ring...

He sure as hell loves hearing himself talk though...

Double_R
09-30-2010, 01:22 PM
I didn't even know Shaq was still alive