PDA

View Full Version : 20 ... Sweet 20

BlueJayCarter
09-29-2010, 08:38 PM
John Buck hit his 20th homerun. Now if the old man keeps his word .. we should be seeing J.P Arencibia hopefully at the catcher position in each game of the Twin series. I know his average is not that great .... but playing infrequently has shot his confidence and playing the last four games would be a good boost into next year.

Unless the old man wasn't telling the truth.

the_jon
09-29-2010, 08:40 PM
God I hope so.

Manatoo
09-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Don't count on it.

Asham
09-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Just let him sit on the bench. Buck deserves to play every day

BlueJayCarter
09-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Just let him sit on the bench. Buck deserves to play every day

BS.

J.P deserves to play everyday. Buck is just a veteran keeping the position warm.

StealingSigns
09-30-2010, 02:51 AM
BS.

J.P deserves to play everyday. Buck is just a veteran keeping the position warm.

lol at someone taking Asham seriously....

j-mart
09-30-2010, 10:25 AM
I hope that JP at least gets to play in 3/4 of the Twins games. Saturday may be the exception since it's a day game following a night game.

McJoe
09-30-2010, 12:34 PM
JP should get at least half. I would accept 3 of the 4.

bartron_44
09-30-2010, 01:48 PM
We could let him DH against the lefties, and Catch against the righties. that way Buck still plays some, but JP gets his AB's.

The bigger question is, do we let Buck go now for a rookie after he was an all-star this season? He's not that old, so there is no reason to believe that he could not put up similar numbers next season too. He is a better behind the plate then JP, and so far JP has only had the 1 good game since he was promoted. I realize he needs a fair shot, but could he just be unlucky and get blocked by an all-star? If we are going to get rid of one or the other, I think we could get more for JP by trading him in the offseason and keeping Buck until one of the younger guys is ready.

BlueJayCarter
09-30-2010, 02:56 PM
I don't think we need John Buck next year. Having him next season and J.P playing 70-80 games is a waste.

J.P on his first game did something no other player on their first major league game ever did or probably will do. He needs a good 115-130 game season to see if he will be filling a position for the Blue Jays when the Jays are contending or other younger talented ball players will fill the catching position.

Bob_at_york
09-30-2010, 03:35 PM
I just think it is sweet that Buck hit 20 hrs this season! :clap:

I told people he would do it if given the playing time but most of you guys laughed at me. :(

BlueJayCarter
09-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Only three more games. Only three more games and Cito doesn't need to screw with J.P and any other young players again.

Hold in there J.P.

bartron_44
10-01-2010, 08:17 AM
I can't believe we started Molina last night...sure he went deep (and almost broke his ankle doing it..lol), but this is getting ridiculous.

Also, back on topic with the thread. EE is getting pretty close to 20 HR's too ffs. Did anyone else see the raw power display he put on last night with Bautista? Going oppo and then to straight away center field (and DEEP) are both very impressive shots. Sure they were dwarfed by Bautista's god like grand slam that went into the third deck...lol , but EE has got some serious power in that bat. He's got 18 HR's in only 322 AB's!!

jaysfan55
10-04-2010, 09:47 PM
well I think the Jays will try to retain Buck for 2011 and he will be the starter and platoon with JP (like molina did this year) It would only be for this year..that way JPA gets 80 games in and gets used to playing in the majors. Too have a 1 2 punch at catcher in 2011..I could see 40-45 HRs combined from them next year. Buck does so well with are young guns now I think they will only be better next year and that way it gives them more time to have JPA catch them in games too.. then for 2012 JPA is the go to guy for years to come...

nads83
10-05-2010, 02:44 PM
you guys have no idea what your talking about. buck is more than capable of a similar season. hope he's the starter come next season and jpa the 2nd string.

Twitchy
10-05-2010, 05:07 PM
How is Buck more than capable of a similar season if he's never been this good before? His highest BA in a season with 300+ AB's (aka a season he's the starting catcher) is 245. If he hits 245, his slash line drops to 245/278/453 (731 OPS).

He had a wicked season, but I wouldn't bet on him hitting this good again.

T.O. Fan
10-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Exactly.

Tt's time to cash in on John Buck's fine 2010 season by offering him arb, then letting him walk and receiving that supplemetal pick between the first two rounds.

jaysfan55
10-05-2010, 10:47 PM
JPA needs a mentor... dont get me wrong the damn kid can hit the ball 10 miles, but he needs to spend the whole season as the platoon guy with buck. And Buck is the guy to do it. Having 2 catchers that can each hit 18-20 HR is a dream come true for Jays fans.

The_Jet11
10-06-2010, 01:57 AM
Buck deserves to start, and JP looks like he's ready to start (his bat anyways).
More and more, I like the idea of bringing Overbay back, and giving Arencibia some innings at 1B or DH, with Lind at 1B.

Throw a pile of cash at Crawford, cause Anthopolous has stated he wants to get more athletic, and we'd have a great looking line-up, with some position flexibility.

LF) Crawford
SS) Escobar
3B) Bautista
CF) Wells
DH) Lind/Arencibia
2B) Hill
1B) Overbay/Lind/Arencibia
C) Buck/Arencibia/Molina
RF) Snider

This way JPA will get a good number of at-bats, we'll have a right handed option to give one of Snider, Lind or Overbay a rest, and at least one legit bat on the bench each game.

Craw would be a crazy investment, but wouldn't it be great to dream...

T.O. Fan
10-06-2010, 08:14 PM
JPA needs a mentor... dont get me wrong the damn kid can hit the ball 10 miles, but he needs to spend the whole season as the platoon guy with buck. And Buck is the guy to do it. Having 2 catchers that can each hit 18-20 HR is a dream come true for Jays fans.

Neither Buck, nor JPA would hit 20 HR in a platoon situation.

I agree that JPA needs a mentor, but that doesn't have to cost the Jays $4 mil or more that someone like Buck will probably be seeking.

ah nuts
10-06-2010, 09:23 PM
you guys have no idea what your talking about. buck is more than capable of a similar season. hope he's the starter come next season and jpa the 2nd string.

I agree, I think he is becoming a better hitter and not just a fluky career year.

I think Buck is going to want a multi year contract but I'm not sure that's what AA wants. I would take him for 2 more years.