PDA

View Full Version : Vince Carter ready to be Vintage Vince again

JordansBulls
09-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Link (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-magic-brian-schmitz-0929-20100928,0,5503839.column)

So when someone asked him about his "contract situation," a situation in which he can become a free agent next summer, he bristled a little.

"That's never been a concern for me. You said it like something's wrong. Like my contract could be voided in the coming weeks or something," Carter said. "I just play. I'm going to let my game speak for itself."

"We expect great things out of him," coach Stan Van Gundy said.

Once again, it's not only Van Gundy and GM Otis Smith telling him he needs to be Vintage Vince. In a meeting Monday, teammates told him to his face that he needs to quit deferring so much, be aggressive, creative and lead.

"I accept that," Carter said. "I understand that and it's something that has been in my mind all summer. I know it's time for me to be me and I don't have a problem with that.

"I'm ready for the challenge. Bring it!"

ShaqShoes
09-29-2010, 07:02 PM
He will never be the same again.

ChiSox219
09-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Air Canada doesn't fly out of the country.

CB29
09-29-2010, 07:11 PM
i doubt it lasts longer than the first couple of games if that... and even when he does get on a decent enough stretch he usually puts an end to that by getting injured... so nice to hear it but doubt it will happen... He will always be the biggest lost potential player for me in nab history... Could've been mj level if he had kobe's determination

5ass
09-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Link (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-magic-brian-schmitz-0929-20100928,0,5503839.column)

ofcourse he will never be the same, but im actually really excited to hear him say that.. i know vince can still be vintage vince sometimes :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CFfu3PaBlQ

that is why VC is one of my favorite players of all time, and notice what the commentator says at the end "and if im playing with him im saying hey what have you been waiting for" the guy can be aggressive when he wants to

xxcubs22xx
09-29-2010, 07:20 PM
He will never be the same again.

I agree. Its reached that threshold.

masalex1205
09-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Vintage Vince was still a loser

Baller1
09-29-2010, 07:25 PM
I want to say I respect what he's saying, but no. He's never going to be the same player he once was.

jackdawson
09-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Does he dunk anymore? Does he go to basket and make layups? He plays like he is 38 years old.

Gators123
09-29-2010, 07:28 PM
He will be 34 years old after a couple months in the season....

TheHoopsProphet
09-29-2010, 07:29 PM
His enthusiasm to lead again is actually depressing.

SA5195
09-29-2010, 07:45 PM
He'll never be the same.

Geargo Wallace
09-29-2010, 07:48 PM
So he actually worked out and practiced this offseason?

Rego247
09-29-2010, 07:57 PM
So he actually worked out and practiced this offseason?

lmao.

vince wants to be the old wince.

SouthSideRookie
09-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Does anyone know what the weather will be like in Texas tomorrow?

JiffyMix88
09-29-2010, 08:19 PM
believe it when i see it

ImThatDude
09-29-2010, 08:37 PM
:laugh:

Lebron > Wade
09-29-2010, 08:42 PM
The man relied on athleticism. Of course he didn't age well. Vintage Vince isn't coming back.

THE MTL
09-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Does he still even have that type of athleticism anymore?

Sadds The Gr8
09-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Wince is done.

Sadds The Gr8
09-29-2010, 08:55 PM
believe it when i see it

what's wrong with madden? i hated it too at first but they patched it and it seems fine to me.

llemon
09-29-2010, 09:08 PM
link (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-magic-brian-schmitz-0929-20100928,0,5503839.column)

holy vince guano, half-fan.

JiffyMix88
09-29-2010, 09:19 PM
what's wrong with madden? i hated it too at first but they patched it and it seems fine to me.

when did the patch come out cause i haven't played in 3 weeks

oO ShowTime Oo
09-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Wish Vince, Howard can talk to A.I to join them, Nelson blows. I really think they can compete at a high level

D Roses Bulls
09-29-2010, 09:30 PM

if carter steps his game up.....the eastern conference dont have a chance

Kashmir13579
09-29-2010, 09:33 PM
there's literally zero percent chance that he becomes "Vintage Vince" again.

Kashmir13579
09-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Does he still even have that type of athleticism anymore?

no

Raoul Duke
09-29-2010, 10:31 PM
So, he's going to give up on his team to force a trade?

Milos--CCCC
09-29-2010, 10:45 PM
for all you haters out there, Vince will ball yall up so shut the f uck up, if he says hes ready to be better then take that as his word, dont rip on the dude jeez you ppl are weird

Geargo Wallace
09-29-2010, 11:13 PM
for all you haters out there, Vince will ball yall up so shut the f uck up, if he says hes ready to be better then take that as his word, dont rip on the dude jeez you ppl are weird

Oh you're one of those ppl. Everyone in Canada has that friend who thinks that Vince hasn't lost a step. I have a friend like that lol.

Face it ppl, Vince hasn't worked out in the offseason in 10 years. There's no way he can become the man he once was without working hard. He can't rely on world-class athleticism any more.

beasted86
09-29-2010, 11:16 PM
I don't believe him.

rabzouz 96
09-29-2010, 11:23 PM
hes becomin 34 already? damn his rookie season was 12 years ago, how time flies!O.o

Sadds The Gr8
09-29-2010, 11:57 PM
when did the patch come out cause i haven't played in 3 weeks

it came out late last week...maybe last thursday or friday. it's much better now the RB's don't break 3 tackles per rush attempt anymore, and u can actually get tackles for loss. also fumbles occur more.

JordansBulls
09-30-2010, 12:33 AM
He needs to be vintage Vince in order for the Magic to win.

whitemamba33
09-30-2010, 12:38 AM
It's funny because I still remember the conversation I had with a friend who insisted that Carter was the next Jordan back in Carter's early days as a Raptor.

I told him that Vince relied too much on his athleticism, and that if he never established his jump shot, he'd lose his star power.

...and here we are.

Mplsman
09-30-2010, 12:58 AM
I wish, but Vince is getting old.

JnasD
09-30-2010, 12:59 AM
I like Vince Carter but when i first read the title of this thread I LMAO haha.

llemon
09-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Isn't this what we've heard the last 3 or 4 offseasons from Vince?

serrano275
09-30-2010, 11:26 AM
He'll be fine. Better then most but not to his vintage stage. He'll be great. But we want more from Carter. I don't think he can give us more.

Sly Guy
09-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Air Canada doesn't fly out of the country.

haha. nice.

macc
09-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Well Vince is in a contract year so if he wants one more decent payday he'll have to produce this year.

The guy when he wants to can score at will. I don't think anyone can debate that. I mean the guy scored 48 pts one game last year.

People asked if he still has athletic ability. The answer is yes he does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBx_mu3EF0s <------one of the many highlight reels from the 09-10 season.

Vince, even today is one of the best scorers in the game. It would annoys us Magic fans when we were watching Magic games because it would be like, ok when he's trying he's lights out and sometimes it was like he wouldn't try very hard, or at least be as aggressive as he could be.

One reason I think Vince had an off seasons is because he didn't know how to act on a team with so much talent. I mean people want to see Vince average 25 + ppg, but when you got Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson, Rashard Lewis who are going to get there points, theres just not alot of points left over. Vince isn't part of a big 3 on a team. Vince is part of a big 4 and theres only one basketball to go around. Not only do you have a big 4 on the Magic, you have bench players who can score in bunches w/ MP and JJ Reddick, Barnes, & Bass.

I could care less what Vince averages a game, I just want him to be that goto guy like we used to be. He showed flashes last year that he was still that guy. Hopefully a full year of chemistry with the same team will do him wonders. We can only go as far as Vince and Howard take us next year.

Khalifa21
09-30-2010, 01:16 PM
I loved you when you were in your prime, but Vince, until you start attacking the basket again and develop a will to win you're nothing more than a big expiring...

llemon
09-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Well Vince is in a contract year so if he wants one more decent payday he'll have to produce this year.

The guy when he wants to can score at will. I don't think anyone can debate that. I mean the guy scored 48 pts one game last year.

So Vince just didn't feel like scoring in last years ECF?

Chronz
09-30-2010, 01:56 PM
I heard he shed 4% body fat, look for Vince to be more explosive this year

JordansBulls
09-30-2010, 01:58 PM
I heard he shed 4% body fat, look for Vince to be more explosive this year

Then it may be over for the rest of the league.

NYKNYGNYY
09-30-2010, 02:17 PM
ya and so will tmac

macc
09-30-2010, 02:21 PM
So Vince just didn't feel like scoring in last years ECF?

He deferred to other players to much. Jameer really took the lead as a play maker in the ECF and I thought he did a great job at it. It was a mixture of other players stepping up and Vince not being aggressive enough.

You obviously only watched the Magic ECF games because if you would of followed the Magic all year long you would of seen that Vince stepped it up in alot of games and carried us through rough stretches.

He just didn't do it as often as us Magic fans hoped he would. That as I said before could of been due to having alot of talent around him and him finding his role on the team.

smith&wesson
09-30-2010, 02:45 PM
thats like asking mcgrady to be mcgrady again

when your old your old. what can you do about it ?? asking him to be primce vince is a little unreasonable. what is he like 33 - 34 ?

and were asking him to play like he is 24 ? he aint kobe.

sep11ie
09-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Talking like this runs in his family, check my sig for proof.

sep11ie
09-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Is playing like the Old Vince basically saying he's old and named Vince?

smith&wesson
09-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Is playing like the Old Vince basically saying he's old and named Vince?

Its gotta be lol ...

i think the magic gm and owners think theyre fans are dumb and dont realize that they are just trying to create excitment with out having to move carter for someone younger and better so instead they decided to convince ppl that vince can be great again. lol how sad.

poor dwight howard. he deserves some real help.

Ollie Tabooger
09-30-2010, 03:03 PM
You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Plus, he's never been a leader/winner anyways.

This would be good for my fantasy team though :)

King P
09-30-2010, 03:11 PM
He won't go back to his prime years, but he can still be very productive. Kobe is 31 and he's still one of the bets players. Look at Ray Allen. Allen is older than VC and he is still productive. Jordan, Reggie Miller and other players were still productive in their 30's. Why can't Vince.

And let's not forget he did score 48 points last season. So he has proven he can still play at a high level. And if he's motivated, that just makes it even better for Orlando.

sep11ie
09-30-2010, 03:15 PM
He won't go back to his prime years, but he can still be very productive. Kobe is 31 and he's still one of the bets players. Look at Ray Allen. Allen is older than VC and he is still productive. Jordan, Reggie Miller and other players were still productive in their 30's. Why can't Vince.

And let's not forget he did score 48 points last season. So he has proven he can still play at a high level. And if he's motivated, that just makes it even better for Orlando.

Are you really comparing Kobe, Reggie, and FREAKING MJ to Vince Carter?:facepalm:

King P
09-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Are you really comparing Kobe, Reggie, and FREAKING MJ to Vince Carter?:facepalm:
:facepalm:

No i'm not comparing VC to those guys. All I'm saying is that you can't say "he's too old to play great", because all of those guys were/have been very productive even in their 30's.

sep11ie
09-30-2010, 03:26 PM

No i'm not comparing VC to those guys. All I'm saying is that you can't say "he's too old to play great", because all of those guys were/have been very productive even in their 30's.

I think eveyone is saying he's too Vince to play very productive basketball.

bears88
09-30-2010, 03:43 PM
I dont think he will ever be that "Vince Carter" that we all saw in his younger days.

jon32
09-30-2010, 03:46 PM
He's jumpin in his Delorian and gunnin it back to '99

smith&wesson
09-30-2010, 04:10 PM

were not talking about those guys. were talking about vince carter. and no he doesnt have it in him like those players did. so your examples have bounced like a bad check.

i see what your saying but not all players are the same...

L@ker4Life
09-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Thats what happens when all a player has is athleticism. THe same thing is going to happen to Lebron when he loses some of his athleticism. These guys shoulda worked a little harder on the fundamentals of the game.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2010, 04:33 PM
great hearing that, but he doesn't have the explosion to ever be the Old Vince

Pharoe18
09-30-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm ready to be vintage Vince too, but I don't see that happening.

jetsforever
09-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Raptors fan here.

Hey Vince,

**** you.

macc
09-30-2010, 04:55 PM
were not talking about those guys. were talking about vince carter. and no he doesnt have it in him like those players did. so your examples have bounced like a bad check.

i see what your saying but not all players are the same...

I understand some people can overrate Vince Carter at this stage of his career, but some people, like yourself can completely underrate somone as well.

Vince has lost some athletism, but not all that much, he was doing winmils, behind the back, off dribble, reverse shots all year last year.

As a guy who watched every single Magic game last year I will tell you, getting the ball in the hoop isn't Vinces problem.

I just don't understand when people say he doesn't work on his game and now that he's lost some athletism that he can't be productive. That's insane to me. He has great post up. A consistant mid range and 3 point shot, and he still knows how to drive to the hoop at will.

Not only that, in his last year which people call his worst year, he still avg 2nd most ppg on his team (behind the #1 center in the NBA) on a team that had the 2nd best record in the NBA.

He averaged 17 ppg on a team that has players like Howard, Lewis, Nelson, MP, Reddick, Barnes, who are all capable of scoring in bunches.

I think his biggest issue last year was adjusting to his role and not being aggressive when he needed to be. Hopefully that changes in his contract year.

But like I said, people can overrate him, but lets not underrate the guy either. You just don't simply score 48pts in one game if you still can't produce at a high level.

sep11ie
09-30-2010, 06:17 PM
I understand some people can overrate Vince Carter at this stage of his career, but some people, like yourself can completely underrate somone as well.

Vince has lost some athletism, but not all that much, he was doing winmils, behind the back, off dribble, reverse shots all year last year.

As a guy who watched every single Magic game last year I will tell you, getting the ball in the hoop isn't Vinces problem.

I just don't understand when people say he doesn't work on his game and now that he's lost some athletism that he can't be productive. That's insane to me. He has great post up. A consistant mid range and 3 point shot, and he still knows how to drive to the hoop at will.

Not only that, in his last year which people call his worst year, he still avg 2nd most ppg on his team (behind the #1 center in the NBA) on a team that had the 2nd best record in the NBA.

He averaged 17 ppg on a team that has players like Howard, Lewis, Nelson, MP, Reddick, Barnes, who are all capable of scoring in bunches.

I think his biggest issue last year was adjusting to his role and not being aggressive when he needed to be. Hopefully that changes in his contract year.

But like I said, people can overrate him, but lets not underrate the guy either. You just don't simply score 48pts in one game if you still can't produce at a high level.

That kinda makes me laugh. None of those dudes are great offensive guys.

godolphins
09-30-2010, 06:18 PM
His to old to be the same player he was once.

macc
09-30-2010, 06:37 PM

I never said they were GREAT offensive guys but they are all capable of scoring 20+ pts a game any given night. Not many teams can say they have 6-7 players on their team that can do that.

sep11ie
09-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Yea, including the Magic. How many times did JJ, Barnes, MP, hell even Lewis score 20 in a game this year?

Chronz
09-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Then it may be over for the rest of the league.lol im with u on that one

llemon
09-30-2010, 10:39 PM

STOP with the 48 point game.

He didn't score double figures in 15 regular season games, and had a 3 point game and an 8 point game in the ECF.

Vince is a dog.

King P
10-01-2010, 09:34 AM
On a side note, I wonder if Bosh will get the VC treatment when he comes back to Toronto.

Chronz
10-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I never said they were GREAT offensive guys but they are all capable of scoring 20+ pts a game any given night. Not many teams can say they have 6-7 players on their team that can do that.
They NEEDED Vince to be the 1 guy they could COUNT ON to score though. I dont know why VC is acting like they didnt tell him to do all this last year.

Him deferring is no excuse not to score effectively, I mean people always use the teammates excuse for why their player isnt scoring or that "scoring isnt a problem for him" he just chooses not to, well what reason does VC have for missing the shots he does take. Why didnt he replace quantity with quality if your using his teammates as an excuse. I know the answer but it would require admitting hes declining more than you realize.

Heater4life
10-01-2010, 11:48 AM
STOP with the 48 point game.

He didn't score double figures in 15 regular season games, and had a 3 point game and an 8 point game in the ECF.

Vince is a dog.

Vince is a solid role player at this point, third option at best. Orlando better make some good moves or there window for a ring may close on their fingers ala Cleveland.

Trade for Melo!!!!!!!!

JordansBulls
10-01-2010, 03:38 PM

Why would they need to be?