PDA

View Full Version : D-league changes goaltending rules (NBA next?)

daleja424
09-29-2010, 01:26 PM
The NBA Development League plans to alter its rules this season to incorporate the FIBA-like goaltending rules, meaning that once the ball strikes the rim, players will be allowed to either swat the ball off the rim or tip it in unlike the NBA's current rules that state that an imaginary cylinder exists that has the basket as its base and touching the ball while any part of it is in this cylinder -- and still has a chance to go in -- is a violation. The league will also institute a three-minute overtime as opposed to the current NBA-standard five-minute overtime, with the same rules being instituted that are currently used in the last two minutes of the fourth quarter.

These rule changes are rumored to have been a request from the NBA as an experiment, presumably similar to the D-League's testing of the new synthetic basketball prior to it's official introduction into the NBA for the 2006-07 season. The new basketball didn't last for long in the NBA, however, as NBA commissioner David Stern brought back the original leather basketball less than halfway into the season.
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/09/28/d-league-to-adopt-rule-changes-similar-to-fiba-nba-could-follow/

NBAkYD
09-29-2010, 01:29 PM
:pity:

sep11ie
09-29-2010, 01:46 PM
So are they trying to develop the players for overseas ball? The point of the D League is to get young players ready for NBA ball. It shouldn't be a rule test dummy that'll mess these young guys up...

Carey
09-29-2010, 01:50 PM
So are they trying to develop the players for overseas ball? The point of the D League is to get young players ready for NBA ball. It shouldn't be a rule test dummy that'll mess these young guys up...

Exactly!

pacofunk64
09-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Makes sense IMO and why not use on the D-league. There's a reason why they are called the D-League.

asandhu23
09-29-2010, 02:02 PM
in other words, they are changing to make LeBron's "blocks" legal

pacofunk64
09-29-2010, 02:09 PM

Lol...dude love the sig

llemon
09-29-2010, 02:21 PM
horrible rule

Shmontaine
09-29-2010, 02:31 PM
better to experiment in the d-league than the nba... I'm okay with this, who watches the d-league anyways??

NYKNYGNYY
09-29-2010, 02:34 PM

yup, maybe it will make more players go to europe...

Super.
09-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Your sig makes me want to cry

Geargo Wallace
09-29-2010, 02:45 PM
my lawrd this is ********.

Wilson
09-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Three minute overtimes? I hate that.

sep11ie
09-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Makes sense IMO and why not use on the D-league. There's a reason why they are called the D-League.

better to experiment in the d-league than the nba... I'm okay with this, who watches the d-league anyways??

My point is these kids should be playing using the NBA rules, since that what they are trying to DEVELOP to be. Why learn to block a ball one way, get good at it, then get called for goal tending everytime you "block" the ball. What happens then, he gets sent back down to the D League to sharpen his basketball IQ with non NBA rules.

IndyRealist
09-29-2010, 03:02 PM
My point is these kids should be playing using the NBA rules, since that what they are trying to DEVELOP to be. Why learn to block a ball one way, get good at it, then get called for goal tending everytime you "block" the ball. What happens then, he gets sent back down to the D League to sharpen his basketball IQ with non NBA rules.

The NBA is testing the rule to see if they want to implement it in the NBA. If the NBA follows in the next few years it won't matter that the D-league changed it's rule. And if they don't like it, they'll just change it back at the end of the year.

sep11ie
09-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Didn't they just see it this summer?

OneTuzSea
09-29-2010, 03:06 PM
New overtime: Play a round of knockout!

topdog
09-29-2010, 03:08 PM

1. The idea is that the NBA might implement the rule and, if that happened, the d-leaguers would be "ahead of the curve." Far better that it be tested there than in the NBA.

2. Although it is called the "Developmental League," it really doesn't do that much developing. How many of these guys have actually made it up to the league? I mean, teams aren't even generally sending their rookies down because they want to work on specific things with them and they really don't learn much there.

save the knicks
09-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Why is everyone so against this?

This will only allow players to tap the ball off the rim.

This will NOT make catching shots in-front of the hoop legal

Dont want some one to knock your shot off the rim? Dont miss!

Hellcrooner
09-29-2010, 03:20 PM
i think is fine since fiba this year has adopted Square zone and a longer 3point distance.

so in some years we shoudl all use a rules that is a mix o nba and fiba,

Hellcrooner
09-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Why is everyone so against this?

This will only allow players to tap the ball off the rim.

This will NOT make catching shots in-front of the hoop legal

Dont want some one to knock your shot off the rim? Dont miss!

because we all know that anyting created outside of america hs to be crap and evil and america is bthe best at everythging. :rolleyes:

49erGiantLaker
09-29-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't agree with this

jackdawson
09-29-2010, 03:43 PM

In other words, your posts barely contain anything else besides Monta Ellis and LeBron bash.

dhopisthename
09-29-2010, 03:47 PM
I don't like this rule change because more then likely they did it to see if it would work and that means there is chance we might see it in the nba

sep11ie
09-29-2010, 03:53 PM
because we all know that anyting created outside of america hs to be crap and evil and america is bthe best at everythging. :rolleyes:

Weel thetts becawse wee ar teh bewst at evreting, ecept four spellinge.;)

topdog
09-29-2010, 03:55 PM
I am not a big fan of the rule because it favors tall players over talented ones, but I am cool with it being tested in the NBDL because it at least shows we are willing to look for compromise w/ FIBA rather than expecting it to conform to the NBA.

topdog
09-29-2010, 03:58 PM

lol

So true... :p

Hawkeye15
09-29-2010, 04:08 PM

I worship that dancer in your sig. Edyta something or other.

Hellcrooner
09-29-2010, 04:13 PM

I think you are mistaking typing with spelling wich i can do to perfection.

Id like to see hows your spanish, or your german, or your portuguese.

DerekRE_3
09-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Well if they change the goaltending rule thank god the Kings drafted Hassan Whiteside and his 7'7 wingspan.

THE MTL
09-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Only reason why Europe can do it is because their players arent athletic enough to significantly change the course of the game with this rule (hey its true).

We have guys like Dwight Howard and Josh Smith who would be taking balls off the rim all day lol.

I do think they do something about goaltending/blocking. The calls are too close now-a-days and blocking brings more excitement to the game. I might they should do it where most of time those calls are BLOCKS not goaltends.

jimbobjarree
09-29-2010, 05:33 PM
change is not good!

DerekRE_3
09-29-2010, 05:43 PM
change is not good!

But just imagine how sensual it will be watching Gerald Wallace grabbing balls off of rims.

jimbobjarree
09-29-2010, 05:48 PM
dude, he realllly needs to shave them girly braids he has

DerekRE_3
09-29-2010, 06:33 PM
dude, he realllly needs to shave them girly braids he has

Let's not even talk about that. I'm just gonna be glad Vernon Davis finally did away with his dreads or whatever the hell he had last year.

save the knicks
09-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Only reason why Europe can do it is because their players arent athletic enough to significantly change the course of the game with this rule (hey its true).

We have guys like Dwight Howard and Josh Smith who would be taking balls off the rim all day lol.

I do think they do something about goaltending/blocking. The calls are too close now-a-days and blocking brings more excitement to the game. I might they should do it where most of time those calls are BLOCKS not goaltends.

Box out son

sep11ie
09-29-2010, 06:46 PM
I think you are mistaking typing with spelling wich i can do to perfection.

Id like to see hows your spanish, or your german, or your portuguese.

You can't see it, you can hear it.

Rafer17
09-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Your sig makes me want to cry

x2

cypherthor
09-29-2010, 08:51 PM
This is the worst idea ever... I hate that the ball cant roll around the rim in fifa rules... that rolling around the rim is one of the most exiting things in basketball

dodie53
09-30-2010, 03:38 AM
better to be in the d-league 1st
than in the nba