PDA

View Full Version : FT shooting and the BIG 3 and how it will slow the game down.

NYK2010
09-28-2010, 03:37 PM
I was just thinking how FT shooting will slow down the game each time Miami comes to play. We all know how good the BIG 3 are individually. Individually they average 15 FT shots a game. Collectively, they will be getting half of their total points from the FT line. This will definetly slow the game down and make it uninteresting.

Maybe the refs wont call as much fouls because of how good these 3 are. If they call foul for every time they go in the lane, every one will be fouled out lolz. Maybe the refs will let some calls go because all 3 could slash to the basket to get shots off and 1. Well whatever happens, Miami Heat coming to town would be the the hottest tix around. Either to see how they play or to boo them.

On a side note: During Media day, the 3 of them too cocky. When they were answering q's, they seemed to answer back in a way like they are better than everyone else. Its one thing to be confident and its another to be cocky. What happens when they get ousted in 1st round, 2nd round? Like Lebron said "its championship or nothing." Should be an interesting season.

BOSTON617
09-28-2010, 03:50 PM
no not at all it just means that they wont be taking as much fts as they use to be i mean think about it if lebron d wade and bosh are all avging say 8 pts a game from fts who the **** is going to watch them..... and the celtics are tthe big 3

NYK2010
09-28-2010, 03:53 PM
lolz my bad Boston617. The Celts are the original big 3...you are correct lolz. I think knowing the fact that they can beat opponents to the basket and get and 1's, they will be inclined to do it more and get easy points from the FT line. Lebron is known to be going hard to the rim. Wade is a slasher as well. They could easily score points from free throwing shooting so why not do it.

jackdawson
09-28-2010, 03:55 PM
I was just thinking how FT shooting will slow down the game each time Miami comes to play. We all know how good the BIG 3 are individually. Individually they average 15 FT shots a game. Collectively, they will be getting half of their total points from the FT line. This will definetly slow the game down and make it uninteresting.

Maybe the refs wont call as much fouls because of how good these 3 are. If they call foul for every time they go in the lane, every one will be fouled out lolz. Maybe the refs will let some calls go because all 3 could slash to the basket to get shots off and 1. Well whatever happens, Miami Heat coming to town would be the the hottest tix around. Either to see how they play or to boo them.

On a side note: During Media day, the 3 of them too cocky. When they were answering q's, they seemed to answer back in a way like they are better than everyone else. Its one thing to be confident and its another to be cocky. What happens when they get ousted in 1st round, 2nd round? Like Lebron said "its championship or nothing." Should be an interesting season.

None of them were cocky. I have been following them since yesterday just as much as any other fan could. They were confident and they said they could care less what other think about them. Show me where were they cocky. I bet you can't, so stop hating.

Chronz
09-28-2010, 03:57 PM
It has nothing to do with what the Refs feel like doing or if anyone will watch them. Their rate of FT's will drop but its because I dont think its possible for so many great slashers to continue posting high ft rates alongside other slashers. I think the defenses will just shrink to persuade more jumpshots so I do believe these guys will get more open jumpers, specifically Bosh.

daleja424
09-28-2010, 03:59 PM
no not at all it just means that they wont be taking as much fts as they use to be i mean think about it if lebron d wade and bosh are all avging say 8 pts a game from fts who the **** is going to watch them..... and the celtics are tthe big 3

dude...The Celtics were no where near the first "big three." That term has been applied to teams for years. It is usually applied to the best trio in the league at a given time... in this case... Miami.

NYK2010
09-28-2010, 04:06 PM
I believe Lebron said he has been hearing what others been saying ever since he decided to go to Mia. He does obviously care what others say if he has been following them and using that as motovation. I am not saying that is a bad thing. Motivation is motivation.

I just found them to be cocky on a few occasions. Maybe it was their swag when they approached the podium. Like they feel as if they are the best already or it could be that they dislike the media for all the bad attention they received. Also when some reporter asked a q, they were trying to be funny by asking who was that q directed to. Any one could have answered that q. They didnt have to go about it that way.

I am not hating also. I like what happened. Any team could have had 2 or 3 on their team but Mia pulled it off so credit to them. I think when Mia comes to a city, it brings excitement back to the NBA even more. I want to see hard, fought games. MIA will be the most anticipated team. People will tune in to watch them lose or see them score like crazy. There was no hate meant in my post.

pebloemer
09-28-2010, 04:10 PM
All 3 of them will see their FT attempts go down. They will likely still average a large amount of FT's over the course of the game as a collectively, but it won't be as large as it would by simply adding their previous FTA per game together. Refs will manage the tempo. I expect a lot of complaining to the referees in games with Miami though. Hard to stay consistent, because I'm sure they will get fouled a lot.

jackdawson
09-28-2010, 04:11 PM
I believe Lebron said he has been hearing what others been saying ever since he decided to go to Mia. He does obviously care what others say if he has been following them and using that as motovation. I am not saying that is a bad thing. Motivation is motivation.

I just found them to be cocky on a few occasions. Maybe it was their swag when they approached the podium. Like they feel as if they are the best already or it could be that they dislike the media for all the bad attention they received. Also when some reporter asked a q, they were trying to be funny by asking who was that q directed to. Any one could have answered that q. They didnt have to go about it that way.

I am not hating also. I like what happened. Any team could have had 2 or 3 on their team but Mia pulled it off so credit to them. I think when Mia comes to a city, it brings excitement back to the NBA even more. I want to see hard, fought games. MIA will be the most anticipated team. People will tune in to watch them lose or see them score like crazy. There was no hate meant in my post.

They didn't hear the question and Bosh had to ask twice to hear it. That's not being cocky. But you can have your opinion.

mikantsass
09-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Stop hating on the Heat. This **** is getting untollerable.

mikantsass
09-28-2010, 04:17 PM
dude...The Celtics were no where near the first "big three." That term has been applied to teams for years. It is usually applied to the best trio in the league at a given time... in this case... Miami.

In the 80s there was more than one big three (Lakers, Celtics, Pistons).... and there wasnt any in the 90s or 00s until the C's put KG, PP, RA together.

Rivera
09-28-2010, 04:17 PM
None of them were cocky. I have been following them since yesterday just as much as any other fan could. They were confident and they said they could care less what other think about them. Show me where were they cocky. I bet you can't, so stop hating.

Ok I will give u one example

I didn't watch the media day for MIA cause I was at work and ill find. It on youtube sometime but lebron DID look cocky and arrogant as ******* on the big 3 interview with rachel nichols

Lebron was sittin fron n center wit bosh on brons right n wade on his left.....he wasn't sitting straight in his chair like the other 2.....he was sittin very slouched lookin and answering questions un interested......that's VERY unprofessional.......and u can read his face throughout the whole interview it said I don't wanna b here I wannna leave I've already answered these questions 100 times

Just from the ESPN interview alone not tryin 2 hate or nitpick but if I was worried abt 1 person. On the heat it would be lebron u can tell if there ever would b a firestorm or a contreversry around the heat it seems it would center around lebron

I'm just sayin this is my opinion and watch the sit down with rachel nichols and tell me I'm wrong!

BOSTON617
09-28-2010, 04:47 PM

wow u heat fans are getting ridiculous it was A JOKE :facepalm: ok you guys are the big 3 does it really matter i was just bustin his balls jkin with him ok lol now how come kobe gasol bynum were never called the big 3 or lebrons #1 seed team last yr mo big z and bron bron o ya i forgot the celtics took the name and used it as there slogin....

xxcubs22xx
09-28-2010, 05:30 PM
I didn't see any cockiness coming from LeWosh.

They actually seemed level-headed, with great individual and collective understanding about what it takes to achieve greatness in this league.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-28-2010, 05:35 PM

Wasn't it Durant who was leading the league in FT attempts per game(12 FT per game)???

CHANGO
09-28-2010, 05:38 PM
I think that will not happen, because now they will have the ball in his hands for less time, and attempted fewer shots to the basket.

Still, among the three, will have a very high total FTA, but most of the penetrations of Wade and Lebron.

tr4shb0t
09-28-2010, 05:53 PM
They will not average as many ft per game as last year. Superstars get blown by the refs a lot less when they are on good teams. The league knows that if one team just walks through other teams then more fans have no incentive to watch. Games are generally officiated to be close so people keep watching and they get better ratings. That's how the NBA is.

Basketash
09-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Wasn't it Durant who was leading the league in FT attempts per game(12 FT per game)???

Probably just an exaggeration...they shot a lot of FTs

Da Knicks
09-28-2010, 06:17 PM
I thank the Heat and mainly Lebron he made the nba intersting again, people will be cheering some will be booing but at the end the games will be bad8$$. Not everyone can be Laker or Celtic fans yaw know! Me personally will root against all three of the evil empires!!!!!!

avrpatsfan
09-28-2010, 06:40 PM

I didn't watch the media day for MIA cause I was at work and ill find. It on youtube sometime but lebron DID look cocky and arrogant as ******* on the big 3 interview with rachel nichols

Lebron was sittin fron n center wit bosh on brons right n wade on his left.....he wasn't sitting straight in his chair like the other 2.....he was sittin very slouched lookin and answering questions un interested......that's VERY unprofessional.......and u can read his face throughout the whole interview it said I don't wanna b here I wannna leave I've already answered these questions 100 times

Just from the ESPN interview alone not tryin 2 hate or nitpick but if I was worried abt 1 person. On the heat it would be lebron u can tell if there ever would b a firestorm or a contreversry around the heat it seems it would center around lebron

I'm just sayin this is my opinion and watch the sit down with rachel nichols and tell me I'm wrong!
Did you watch the press conferences? The one I saw he not in the center and he did not look cocky.

jackdawson
09-28-2010, 07:01 PM

Yes, I did and you are wrong. You are just reading too much into LeBron's body movements and putting together your lame opinions, which sadly don't construct the definition of cockiness.

disgruntledbull
09-28-2010, 07:07 PM
In the 80s there was more than one big three (Lakers, Celtics, Pistons).... and there wasnt any in the 90s or 00s until the C's put KG, PP, RA together.

there was a big three in the 90's kerr kukoc buechler

MTar786
09-28-2010, 07:35 PM

no. from 2001-03 the bucks had the big 3 of ray allen, sam cassel and 'big dawg' glen robinson. im not saying they were amazing.. but they were known as the big 3 back then

tredigs
09-28-2010, 09:50 PM

Durant did lead the league in FT attempts, but at ~10 a game. The same as Lebron and Dwight Howard (and Kobe in his athletic prime a few years back).

I don't know where he got the "15 free throw attempts a game" line, but that would be 50% more than they've ever averaged. Bosh was averaging about ~8 a game, Wade ~9, Lebron ~10. I'd expect those to fall to around ~6.5, ~7.5, ~8.5 respectively.

Part of that reason being that individually they probably won't be attacking the hole as much as they had to in years past, and another being that they will undoubtedly be smashing on most teams, and averaging closer to ~36 minutes a game (rather than 38-42) as a result.

To answer the OP's question, I have a feeling that any "slowness" that you'll be feeling from the high amount of FTA's per game (which there will be a lot) will be more than compensated for by the virtual all star show you'll be seeing night in/night out.

justinnum1
09-28-2010, 10:15 PM

The celtics were the big 3...now they are the old 3.

justinnum1
09-28-2010, 10:21 PM

Did you hear the questions she was asking him? She was truing to piss him off and get a reaction out of him. "how did you feel about people burning your jersey?", "what about your twitter post?" i mean come on, the guy switched teams, and everyone iss all over his nuts, some love him fo it, most hate him, but lets stop reading into every answer he gives.

mynameismo
09-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Their FT attempts will go down because there is only one ball so the ball possession of the three will be divided.

Anyway, I don't think they'll slow down the game. Actually, they have the best type of players to have on a fast-paced tempo. Wade and Lebron on the break? That would be nuts.

BOSTON617
09-29-2010, 08:29 AM
The celtics were the big 3...now they are the old 3.

ok the celtics are the old 3 but the heat are the g** 3 how bout that.... on a serious note who cares i was jkin i dont really care what our nickname is well the only nick name i care about is world champs u can take big 3 :rolleyes:

Wilson
09-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Sorry, most of the answers here have been off-topic and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I'm going to close this.