PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden -"Is there any proof that I'm a bust?"

phoenix_bladen
09-28-2010, 02:06 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2010/09/greg_oden_wont_be_ready_for_op.html

Meanwhile, nobody seems to know when Oden will be able to return to the court. Nine months after he fractured the patella in his left knee, Oden still has not been cleared to go through three-on-three competition, let alone five-on-five full-court play. What's more, the 7-foot center said he occasionally experiences pain in his surgically-repaired knee.

Oden was upbeat and optimistic Monday, saying there was no doubt he would play and play well this season. He just couldn't say when that time might come or how many games that would involve.

Oden had a checkup with doctors last week and was told his knee was structurally sound. Besides one vacation to Mexico, Oden said he went through rehabilitation five days a week throughout the summer in Indianapolis, his hometown. Coaches, trainers and Cho visited him at various points, and the organization is not only pleased with his offseason work but also still views him as a long-term championship piece.

"No question; no question," McMillan said. "He's a big part of this team. He's a huge part of who we are and who we want to become."

Perhaps the biggest dilemma facing Oden as training camp approaches is using patience and good judgment. His heart is urging him to play, but his knee -- and the Blazers -- are forcing him to wait until his body is 100 percent ready. Oden was adamant, however, that this restraint should not be confused for lack of desire or passion. His motivation is unyielding, he says, and Oden takes exception to those who claim he's a bust three years and 82 games into his career.

"Is there any proof that I'm a bust?" Oden said. "All there is proof of is that I have bad luck with injuries. When I was out there on the floor, I think I did pretty good for myself. I've never really had enough time to play and actually improve. I think last year at the beginning of the year I did OK, started to head down that path. Unfortunately I had an injury. But I've prepared myself all summer to be an All Star and be as healthy as I can be and I'm going to keep doing that until I'm able to do that ..."

McMillan said he's prepared to start the season without Oden and veteran center Joel Przybilla, who is rehabbing from two knee surgeries and isn't expected to return until November or December. Marcus Camby will start at center and second-year big man Jeff Pendergraph will back him up. Aldridge, the starting power forward, also could see some time at center. McMillan said the Blazers are not looking to add another center.

"We're definitely counting on Greg," Roy said. "We're going to need Greg. I'm looking forward to Joel getting back. But at the same time, we're not going to rush those guys. We feel that we've got the guys to play well early until we get him back. But we don't want him coming back at 75 or 80 percent, feeling like he has to save the day ... because we are going to really need him in April."

-------

Barely played in 3 years and the team invested millions in you...Yea I would think your career thus far is a bust......

Hellcrooner
09-28-2010, 02:24 PM
No sir

But there arent any prove you arent.

We wont knoe until you play....

Double_R
09-28-2010, 02:29 PM
I feel like if your taken before a superstar caliber player, then you have to become amazing not to be labeled a bust... and you sir aren't amazing

THE MTL
09-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Is that is joke? Is he drunk?

Greg Oden already is a bust! He was supposed to be the next great center like Bill Russel, Shaq, Hakeem level. Even if he gets healthy (which might not ever happen)....he isnt going to be half of what those guys are.

Even when he played last year. I saw nothing more than a rebounder/shot blocker/finisher type center.

DoJoTheSlasher
09-28-2010, 02:31 PM
He actually has a point. He has been putting up starting center numbers AFTER HE HAS COME BACK FROM INJURY.

I can see him putting up 13 points 10 reb 2 blocks if fully healthy.

Hellcrooner
09-28-2010, 02:35 PM
He actually has a point. He has been putting up starting center numbers AFTER HE HAS COME BACK FROM INJURY.

ok, lets say he gets to have a career with 15 points and 1'0 rebounds per gme.

what are durants numbers?

would you rather have KObe or Mutombo?

at best he can be what bowie was, a good layers and a strter tht forever will be lablened a bust(unfailry) because of WHO got picked after him.

tcav701
09-28-2010, 02:36 PM
He's not the best pick the Blazers could have made but he's not a bust based on talent. He will put up good numbers.

However, staying healthy is part of being a star athlete so in that sense, he has been a bust thus far.

THE MTL
09-28-2010, 02:46 PM

Those are good center numbers, but you realize that still marks him as a bust though? If Oden doesnt put up 20ppg 10rpg 2-3blkpg he is a BUST! He was supposed to be a GREAT center. A franchise changing player, and is he simply not

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-28-2010, 03:07 PM

at best he can be what bowie was, a good layers and a strter tht forever will be lablened a bust(unfailry) because of WHO got picked after him.

daaaaamn!! U just DESIMATED DoJo lolol

nycericanguy
09-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Being able to stay healthy and play is part of being a good player. So yes he is a bust, especially when you consider POR passed up a perennial 30ppg scorer that has a chance to go down as one of the all time greats.

DoJoTheSlasher
09-28-2010, 03:20 PM

Yeah but just because Durant was picked after doesn't make him a bust. It was a bad pick but it wasn't like they got Kwame Brown. And it's more than just the numbers. Kobe has won 5 rings and multiple all time great accomplishments. Durant has the numbers, now he has to win in the playoffs.

jackdawson
09-28-2010, 03:25 PM

Greg Oden already is a bust! He was supposed to be the next great center like Bill Russel, Shaq, Hakeem level. Even if he gets healthy (which might not ever happen)....he isnt going to be half of what those guys are.

Even when he played last year. I saw nothing more than a rebounder/shot blocker/finisher type center.

WTF are you smoking dude? What else do you want your center to do? How many centers can do all three that you listed?

Also, how can you be that sure about a healthy Oden not going to be half as good as Shaq/Hakeem/Russell?

TehSamurai
09-28-2010, 03:31 PM
The 164 DNPs he got?

Rafer17
09-28-2010, 03:33 PM
deja vu for tblazers - they have the worst luck

xbrackattackx
09-28-2010, 03:34 PM
I mean you can't blame them, Everyone always drafts the best Center first and he was led to be a great center. I think he will be a good center. But he is not a bust he has to play first.

Kevj77
09-28-2010, 03:35 PM
I feel like if your taken before a superstar caliber player, then you have to become amazing not to be labeled a bust... and you sir aren't amazingFair or not this has a lot of truth to it. Everyone always brings up Sam Bowie who was picked ahead of Jordan, but nobody ever mentions that The Dream went #1 ahead of Jordan because he is a HOF and won two rings.

Hellcrooner
09-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Fair or not this has a lot of truth to it. Everyone always brings up Sam Bowie who was picked ahead of Jordan, but nobody ever mentions that The Dream went #1 ahead of Jordan because he is a HOF and won two rings.

getting a top 5 center alltime that got you 2 rings is noting to mourn bout imo.

there is not a siNGLE team that woudl ahve not taken the dream with the first that year.

jiggin
09-28-2010, 04:00 PM
only people who have never seen him play or didn't follow what he did prior to getting hurt are calling him a bust. Most people who know his age and how good he looked prior to the injury would never call him a bust this early. Again though, most people only know a couple things about the blazers; they have brandon roy, they have oden and he keeps getting hurt, he was drafted first in front of kevin durant...and the blazers passed on Micheal Jordan for sam bowie. After those 4 topics, people don't know crap about the blazers, so of course this topic continually keeps being brought up...no one outside of the NW knows much about the blazers or has anything else to talk about when it comes to blazer basketball or knowledge.

Side note: I believe several big name analysts including those at roto and espn have put the blazers in the top 5 teams in the entire league...some putting them as the 2nd best team behind the heat. They finished with 50+ wins with their team DEVASTATED by injuries...what could they accomplish with half the injuries of last year?

Chronz
09-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Hes got a point his rate of production in the minutes he did play was All-Star caliber, hes definitely not a bust, but he will never be as good as Durant, Im pretty sure the world is unanimous on that part.

ho_va2006
09-28-2010, 04:05 PM
I'll give you 2 reasons:
1: your right leg busts after a quarter season (if that many games)
2: your left leg busts after a quarter season (if that many games)

... the guy has all the size and talent to be big time, but his body can't hack it. almost makes me feel bad, almost. he got a pretty nice payday.

Mplsman
09-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Kd.

Klivlend
09-28-2010, 04:07 PM

Not true, it's gotta be the Clippers.

Check this out. I originally got this from Hellcrooner. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090624&sportCat=nba

jiggin
you guys and gals do realize he is only 23 years old...right?

Geargo Wallace
The man can ball so he's not a bust. He just can't play enough games to be anything great.

29$JerZ
09-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Those are good center numbers, but you realize that still marks him as a bust though? If Oden doesnt put up 20ppg 10rpg 2-3blkpg he is a BUST! He was supposed to be a GREAT center. A franchise changing player, and is he simply not

That;s not true

Dwight Howard didn't start putting up 20ppg until his 4th year.
Do you think Magic or anyone else though he was a bust because he was suppose to be this dominant C? As long as Oden stays a rebounding force with shot blocking he is fine, he is only a bust by definition of injury.

MrBigShotBWill
09-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Those are good center numbers, but you realize that still marks him as a bust though? If Oden doesnt put up 20ppg 10rpg 2-3blkpg he is a BUST! He was supposed to be a GREAT center. A franchise changing player, and is he simply not[/QUOTE]

I agree he will never be 20 and 10! You wish him well but I could see if he is healthy 10-15ppg and 7-10 boards! prob 1-2 blocks because he is so tall.

Though hes feet wont be any faster after all the foot b/s!

Jenceman
09-28-2010, 04:13 PM
The fact that hes only played like 10 games?

8kobe24
09-28-2010, 04:22 PM
k, fine he's not a bust...he's injury prone.

SA5195
09-28-2010, 04:46 PM
The fact that he only plays like 20 games a year, making him injury prone made everyone think he's a bust.

ttam68
09-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Oden: 0.311 WP48 (http://www.wagesofwins.com/Portland550910.html)
Durant: 0.268 WP48 (http://www.wagesofwins.com/OKC600910.html)

He could still be a fantastic player.

TehSamurai
09-28-2010, 05:17 PM

He could still be a fantastic player.

If he ever actually plays.

xxcubs22xx
09-28-2010, 05:20 PM
The only reason he's not a bust is because he hasn't been healthy. Wait and see how he performs, then go and talk about being a bust.

Kind of a similar situation with Joakim Noah. Before he developed, the majority of Bulls fans were scratching their heads with Jo. It took him at least 1 year to "find his niche" for lack of a better term; which basically boils down to the player learning what it takes to be in the league and play their position effectively.

TehSamurai
09-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Hold on, so the reason Oden isn't a bust is because he doesn't play? So if a number one draft pick was to actually play games in the NBA and be bad, he'd be a bust. But if a number one draft pick misses 2/3 of his games (and most likely even more once the season starts), he shouldn't be labeled a bust?

News24/7
09-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Proof? Well lets see....you have been injured since your days in high school, and you have been out more games then played.

Basketash
09-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Pretty much a bust, if anything just the fact who got drafted after him...but i hope he proves me wrong

MrFastBreak
09-28-2010, 06:02 PM

What else do you expect to see? Why is that so deficient to you? When you factor in the degree at which he performed in those areas, you get nothing short of sufficient production

How do you go about saying rebounding at a 20%+ rate and blocking just about 8% of shots thrown at you with exemplary efficiency on offense (TS% of 65 almost & 118 ortg) is NOTHING MORE?

John Walls Era
09-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Injuries are a reason to call someone a bust. If Sam Bowie never got injured, he would've been a very solid C. Multiple allstars for sure. Bowie played very well (16+10) when he was healthy.

LakeShowRaider
09-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Being a bust doesnt mean you have to suck! If you dont play to your level no matter what the reason then your *** is a BUST!

jiggin
09-28-2010, 08:21 PM
I would think the word bust would mean he is finished, no chance for positive outcome.

He is 23 years old. His knee is structurally sound according to dr and trainers. He got tendinitis in it recently, but that isn't a big deal...and will be treated quickly.

The blazers are being very careful with him for all the reasons u listed here plus the fact that the media blow ever report out of the water...almost like they want him to fail because at this point it's a better story.

The blazers feel that if he is going to be playing less than a full season, that it would be better he sit at the start and make sure he is 100% then have him playing full strength in the second half of the season. Remember, they won over 50 games without him...imagine what they could do with him finishing strong rested and healthy and playing in the playoffs.

dodie53
09-28-2010, 08:37 PM
a bust
and
unlucky

jiggin
09-28-2010, 09:16 PM
here are some pics of him shooting around today at camp and then working out in the gym with his trainer.

:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benjamingolliver/sets/72157624930532595/show/

jiggin
09-28-2010, 09:19 PM
oh and ps. Rudy showed up...LOL what a little whiny *****

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benjamingolliver/sets/72157624930515989/show/

likemystylez
09-28-2010, 10:03 PM
he is a bust, and that rant of excuses by him just makes him look pathetic. At some point, you jus gotta go out and play ball, and if it causes perm damage, then so be it.

It isnt bad luck with injuries, its his inability to play through pain.

If you want proof, the DNP's over 3 consecutive seasons makes you a bust... nobody legitimately gets injured that much when they are 19-22 yrs old

elizur
09-28-2010, 10:20 PM

No way. Oden was never supposed to have the offense of those guys. He projects to be a stud defensive center. He can still be that. He has not played enough, he is not a bust.

netsgiantsyanks
09-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Hold on, so the reason Oden isn't a bust is because he doesn't play? So if a number one draft pick was to actually play games in the NBA and be bad, he'd be a bust. But if a number one draft pick misses 2/3 of his games (and most likely even more once the season starts), he shouldn't be labeled a bust?

um no, because hes had a limited chance to show what he brings to the table.

elizur
09-28-2010, 10:22 PM
he is a bust, and that rant of excuses by him just makes him look pathetic. At some point, you jus gotta go out and play ball, and if it causes perm damage, then so be it.It isnt bad luck with injuries, its his inability to play through pain.

If you want proof, the DNP's over 3 consecutive seasons makes you a bust... nobody legitimately gets injured that much when they are 19-22 yrs old

^^^Nominated!!!

ShaqShoes
09-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Play one full season then talk.

The Final Boss
09-28-2010, 10:35 PM
One need not look no further than his bank account for proof.

DreamShaker
09-29-2010, 03:54 AM
Somebody made reference to Hakeem over MJ. Hakeem had 2 Finals MVP's, 1 regular season MVP, is a first-ballot, no-brainer HOFer, retired the All-Time leader in blocked shots, and is a top 15, arguably a top 10 player of All-Time.

That is what Oden is gonna have to be at least close to if he wants to evaporate the stigma of being the guy that "was picked ahead of Durant", if Durant remains injury free. No Rockets fan could ever pick apart Hakeem, he was a perfect player. He had no glaring flaws, and he brought championships to Houston with a team full of role players.

Oden has a freakish amount of catching up to do. He is not a bad NBA player. But he was the 1st pick in a draft where everyone knew Durant was going to be a stud. He sat down with Bill Russell and other legendary big man in a combined interview, with all these guys bursting with excitement over how Oden was going to be the next legendary big man. We expected a future Hall of Famer who led his team to multiple championships (remember when he said he wanted like 10 rings???). Expectations can make a good player a bust. Bust doesn't necessarily mean you suck, it means you didn't live up to the hype. And he has alot of hype to live up to, and is way behind on the curve.

dee279
09-29-2010, 05:26 AM

You obviously dont know much about what the Blazers wanted with Greg. They never expected Greg to be a 20 ppg guy. They just expected him to be a guy who gets more rebounds then the next guy and made the other team scared to drive to the goal. Yes they wanted him to be a great Center but IMO, you dont have to put up 20 ppg to be great more expecially when you have Andre Miller, Brandon Roy, and Lamarcus Aldridge. Those are 3 guys who can put up points. If Greg can come back healthy and stay that way, and put up about 16 points, 12 rebounds and 3 of them being ORB, and about 3 blocks and be efficient on the offensive end, i am sure the blazers will be happy. If Greg can become the defensive force that he knows he can be, the Blazers could be the top seed in the West. They have depth, 2 really good Centers, and a formidable one. An all star in Brandon Roy, and Lamarcus is a really good offensive big man. With Greg healthy and playing about 30 minutes a game, i could easily see the Blazers being a top 5 team.

dee279
09-29-2010, 05:30 AM
Now Darko Milicic is a Bust. Kwame Brown is a Bust. Greg Oden is not. Unless he leaves the Blazers without a full season under him without injuries, he is not a bust. But i would still take a injured Greg over a fully healthy Darko and Kwame.

ryder78c
09-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Now Darko Milicic is a Bust. Kwame Brown is a Bust. Greg Oden is not. Unless he leaves the Blazers without a full season under him without injuries, he is not a bust. But i would still take a injured Greg over a fully healthy Darko and Kwame.

exactly

Oden is young everybody who keeps saying everybody knew durant should of got picked #1 is dumb i got old SI say how greg oden is gonna be the clear #1 Choice in fact out of all my Si's it says Oden#1 Durant#2 in the draft go look for these SI's one is Dec,16,2006(Vince young on the cover) and the other is Mar,5,2007(says the Program on the front) i have more but those are the old ones i read

You cant label a bust unless they are retired and havent done anything Oden just hasnt been able to prove himself and i also watch every blazers game and if you dont remember Oden was leading in blocks up until the allstar break and he got hurt around December he was snatching rebounds he wasnt drafted to be a offensive beast he was drafted for the D why do you think we went and got Camby for his D we could of got another Center

LET HIM SHOW HIS SKILLS THEN JUDGE BUT UNTIL THEN KNOW YOUR SPORTS

so is Bargnani a Bust? Roy got chosen after him and bargani is on a crap team is why he gets points

Rondo was picked #21 of that draft so is everybody a bust infront of him who didnt become good?

and tell me this why is Kwame a Bust the whole 2000 draft sucked only person really good was Michael redd and everybody passed on him and he still has time to become something he is young still

Ace33Bone
09-29-2010, 08:57 AM
The jury is still out on whether or not he is a bust... but like others have previously stated you will go down as the sole player drafted before Durant, who a lot of people feel has a chance at becoming the greatest player to ever play the game... The Blazers should know all about drafting size before greatness... They are also the team that picked a injury riddled Sam Bowie over the G.O.A.T

DreamShaker
09-29-2010, 10:37 AM
exactly

Oden is young everybody who keeps saying everybody knew durant should of got picked #1 is dumb

There were some people pretty split on those 2.

magichatnumber9
09-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Even Odin should admit that the Blazers should of drafted Durant.

phoenix_bladen
09-29-2010, 11:32 AM
exactly

Oden is young everybody who keeps saying everybody knew durant should of got picked #1 is dumb i got old SI say how greg oden is gonna be the clear #1 Choice in fact out of all my Si's it says Oden#1 Durant#2 in the draft go look for these SI's one is Dec,16,2006(Vince young on the cover) and the other is Mar,5,2007(says the Program on the front) i have more but those are the old ones i read

You cant label a bust unless they are retired and havent done anything Oden just hasnt been able to prove himself and i also watch every blazers game and if you dont remember Oden was leading in blocks up until the allstar break and he got hurt around December he was snatching rebounds he wasnt drafted to be a offensive beast he was drafted for the D why do you think we went and got Camby for his D we could of got another Center

LET HIM SHOW HIS SKILLS THEN JUDGE BUT UNTIL THEN KNOW YOUR SPORTS

so is Bargnani a Bust? Roy got chosen after him and bargani is on a crap team is why he gets points

Rondo was picked #21 of that draft so is everybody a bust infront of him who didnt become good?

and tell me this why is Kwame a Bust the whole 2000 draft sucked only person really good was Michael redd and everybody passed on him and he still has time to become something he is young still

Kwame was drafted in 2001 not 2000......

jzstud4
09-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Oden bust !!!!

Jaji
09-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Hey Sam Bowie didn't totally suck on the court either. But if you're not out there, you're not doing your team any good. Step 1 to being a factor is you have to be on the floor.

Greg Oden: you, sir, are a bust!

Thegame187
09-29-2010, 12:07 PM

nah thats the clips

smith&wesson
09-29-2010, 12:21 PM
yes, when you are picked that high and already at your age your an injury prone player who hasnt even played a full season let alone made an impact on your team. you are a bust my friend. is it your fault ? not really but never the less you are a bust. i rather have kwame brown at this point who is also a huge bust but at least he plays hahahaha

WadeKobe
09-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Yes. So far you are a bust. You could change that, but so far you are a bust. If you can't play, and you were picked #1 you're a bust. Plain and simple.

amoore87
09-29-2010, 03:47 PM
yes there is proof...theres been many rookies who have surpassed him since he was drafted

jiggin
09-29-2010, 03:51 PM
yes there is proof...theres been many rookies who have surpassed him since he was drafted

when he is on the court, he is better than Durant:

but I am sure everyone here saying he is a bust knows the numbers...right?

thanks TTAM68 for looking up the info

ShaqShoes
09-29-2010, 04:15 PM

But he's never on the court. That's like saying I am the worlds greatest chef, but I never cook.

DaBUU
09-29-2010, 05:00 PM

more proof that stats make people stupid

jimbobjarree
09-29-2010, 05:30 PM
stop being such a bust and people will stop calling you one