PDA

View Full Version : Is Beasley Emerging at Small Forward?

WolvesJagsOs
09-27-2010, 11:48 PM
By Ray Richardson on September 27, 2010 9:03 AM | No Comments | No TrackBacks

After the first two days of Timberwolves training camp, I noticed a subtle development about the team's offense: there might not be much of a power forward debate.

For much of last season, the primary issue with the position was whether Kevin Love and Al Jefferson could be on the floor at the same time for extensive minutes. The reason it might not be such an issue is that Michael Beasley appears to be spending most of his time at the small forward spot. Wolves coach Kurt Rambis has made no announcements about positions or rotations, but Beasley is operating as a small forward in scrimmages and drills.

The smooth-shooting Beasley, a left-hander, is handling the ball away from the basket most of the time and has done very little post-up work. Love has been getting most of the opportunities inside, which could indicate that Love very likely will be the Wolves' regular power forward. Beasley had been labeled a power forward in the past, but it's obvious he has the versatility and skills to play on the wing and drive to the basket.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, don't be surprised if Love, Beasley and Darko Milicic emerge as the Wolves' starting front line. An easy way for Rambis to spare himself from the power forward debate seems to be installing Beasley at small forward. Beasley has already said he and Love would make a good tandem up front.

Rambis said before camp that everybody, even Love, a gold medal winner with USA Basketball in the World Championships this summer, will have to earn a starting position or quality minutes off the bench. If Beasley settles in at the small forward spot, Rambis might not have to worry about Love's happiness with his role.

* An interesting sight: Ever since Rambis stopped a scrimmage Saturday night to make the team run sprints, any player that falls to the floor is quickly swarmed by teammates trying to help him up. Luke Ridnour will never have that "left hanging" feeling again. It was Ridnour who fell to the floor Saturday night while defending Sebastian Telfair on a drive to the basket. When Ridnour had to pick himself up, Rambis stepped in and dealt his punishment.

http://blogs.twincities.com/timberwolves/2010/09/is-beasley-emerging-at-small-f.html#comments

Not totally sure this is thread worthy in the NBA forum. I just know alot of people had doubts about Beasley working at SF.

Hawkeye15
09-27-2010, 11:52 PM
I really hope Beas has been working on his handles and 19 footers hard. Cause his historical evidence says he won't be an efficient SF, especially on defense. We shall see

Hawkeye15
09-27-2010, 11:52 PM
I will add, in the triangle, SF/PF isn't of huge importance on the offensive end

WolvesJagsOs
09-27-2010, 11:54 PM
I will add, in the triangle, SF/PF isn't of huge importance on the offensive end

Thats what ive been trying to say all along. But nonetheless, this is very good news for wolves fans and Beasley supporters lol.

dnewguy
09-28-2010, 12:01 AM
By Ray Richardson on September 27, 2010 9:03 AM | No Comments | No TrackBacks

http://blogs.twincities.com/timberwolves/2010/09/is-beasley-emerging-at-small-f.html#comments

Not totally sure this is thread worthy in the NBA forum. I just know alot of people had doubts about Beasley working at SF.

It's tread worthy as long as it's not about the Heat....so many haters out here. Mods can't even control their feelings this days.

Kashmir13579
09-28-2010, 12:17 AM
It's tread worthy as long as it's not about the Heat....so many haters out here. Mods can't even control their feelings this days.

is that how you feel bro

jimbobjarree
09-28-2010, 12:31 AM
but they havnt played any games yet this season

heatbb
09-28-2010, 12:32 AM
This thread will lose it's worthiness very quickly if you continue like this.

Anyways, I can't imagine Beas playing only SF on D. In a zone it might work but man-2-man he's going to get destroyed.

WolvesJagsOs
09-28-2010, 12:33 AM
^dude, ik, im just happy with what ive heard about Beasley. So far, everything has been positive about Beasley. Cant wait for the reg. season to start.

WolvesJagsOs
09-28-2010, 12:34 AM
This thread will lose it's worthiness very quickly if you continue like this.

Anyways, I can't imagine Beas playing only SF on D. In a zone it might work but man-2-man he's going to get destroyed.

Yeah, well i havent seen a whole lot of Beasley since K-State since he was down in Miami and im up here in the midwest, so my question is, is he that affective against big strong PF's though?

Geargo Wallace
09-28-2010, 12:38 AM
didn't someone today say he was on crack/cocaine?

Anyways I think SF would be a better fit for him he can acquire those skills. He's too undersized to be a dominating PF.

WolvesJagsOs
09-28-2010, 12:42 AM
didn't someone today say he was on crack/cocaine?

Anyways I think SF would be a better fit for him he can acquire those skills. He's too undersized to be a dominating PF.

Thats what i thought too. Idk though, seams like nearly everyone thinks different.

And on the 1st part, if he was at one time, he isnt on it anymore. He has really grown up since he got here.

Mplsman
09-28-2010, 12:44 AM
Get it Bease.

godolphins
09-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Beasley should play PF

WolvesJagsOs
09-28-2010, 01:12 AM
dude, many ppl have said that, but we have Klove, we arent gonna bench him at PF if Beasley can work at the 3, which from what i here, he is playing the 3.

dodie53
09-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Llove at center,
beas at PF.
make the wolves run!

abe_froman
09-28-2010, 01:49 AM
they're gonna try that

Wade>You
09-28-2010, 01:58 AM
To all the Beasley Fans on Ira Winderman's blog that demanded Haslem be traded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g9WjcGdxuM

JermanJaysFan
09-28-2010, 10:33 AM

Just something funny I noticed about your sig- you have a picture of James there...with a verse saying "Thou shall not serve any other king besides me"...its funny because "King James" pretty much handed his throne over to Wade by going to Miami. Not trying to rip on the Heat or anything, just thought it was funny.

About this Beasley thing- hopefully it works out for him there. If he can stick at the 3 then great, but I imagine any chance they get the Wolves are gonna slide Love up to the 5 and run Beas the 4 if matchups allow it.

fadedmario
09-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Wolves are on their way to becoming a competitive team. I actually like their lineup. Is Bill Laimbeer still one of their assistant coaches?

Da Knicks
09-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Tweener!

jackdawson
09-28-2010, 11:20 AM
I hope the best for him whatever position he plays although I don't expect him to be able to play at his full potential at SF.

Goat.Meat
09-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Wolves are on their way to becoming a competitive team. I actually like their lineup. Is Bill Laimbeer still one of their assistant coaches?

Come on buddy...lets get real here. The Twolves are in the Western Conference and their oldest player seems like its Darko (who is what, 27?). The Star Tribune had an ad in the paper saying they are not even Championship Contenders this year and the fan base should be patient. Dont get me wrong, they have loads of potential and an excellent head coach, but they wont be competitive for a good 3 - 4 years, or at least until Rubio gets there (if he ever does).

Ace33Bone
09-28-2010, 11:28 AM
I really hope Beas has been working on his handles and 19 footers hard. Cause his historical evidence says he won't be an efficient SF, especially on defense. We shall see

That is the only thing that I am concerned with is will he be able to defend other SF... I think he should be the obvious starter at the SF even with Wesley Johnson being so highly heralded... Beas could easily be a decent 3 on the offensive end but I think he will have a hard time matching up with the quicker and more crafty SFs in the league... either way I am expecting a breakout season for him this year because I truly felt that Miami did not use him correctly and the other half was that Beas was too immature to start his career off in South Beach

dbeastly
09-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Thats what i thought too. Idk though, seams like nearly everyone thinks different.

And on the 1st part, if he was at one time, he isnt on it anymore. He has really grown up since he got here.

Heat fan here.

He is an iso Pf that has some slashing abilities but will only finish if it's an alley oop(by that I mean he is very clumsy with the ball). Heat tried him at Sf and it didn't work so IDK how well it will work out with you. I don't know the effect of the triangle offense. Good mid range jump shooter and is a good dunker when he has the chance. Has some put-back abilities too. He's a good player he just couldn't thrive alongside Wade, Beasley needs the ball in his hand too much. I expect him to be real good for you though.

Delrayhc
09-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Come on buddy...lets get real here. The Twolves are in the Western Conference and their oldest player seems like its Darko (who is what, 27?). The Star Tribune had an ad in the paper saying they are not even Championship Contenders this year and the fan base should be patient. Dont get me wrong, they have loads of potential and an excellent head coach, but they wont be competitive for a good 3 - 4 years, or at least until Rubio gets there (if he ever does).

Do you even understand his post? Why dont you read. Wolves are on their way to becoming a competitive team. What does that mean to you? Your post was exactly what he posted except you were disagreeing with him. :facepalm:

ShaqShoes
09-28-2010, 01:09 PM
U mad?

beasted86
09-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Beasley won't work defensively at SF.

imagesrdecievin
09-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Beasley won't work defensively at SF.

especially considering Love's limitations on defense. It might be the 'Wolves best offensive lineup - but defensively they will struggle big time.

beasted86
09-28-2010, 01:19 PM
especially considering Love's limitations on defense. It might be the 'Wolves best offensive lineup - but defensively they will struggle big time.

Well I think it was pretty obvious they aren't too serious about defense.

I mean afterall they just signed Darko to be their starting Center and passed on DeMarcus Cousins.

imagesrdecievin
09-28-2010, 01:24 PM

I mean afterall they just signed Darko to be their starting Center and passed on DeMarcus Cousins.

huh?

Darko is actually a pretty good defender. I don't think any team(outside of the Knicks and Suns due to their style) really passes on defense completely. A team might be willing to absorb a bad defender because they feel they can hide them or their offense offsets their D. I thought part of the reason they shipped Al Jeff for so little is because of the defensive problems of playing him and Love at the same time.

Hawkeye15
09-28-2010, 02:02 PM

Laimbeer and Reggie Theus are the main assistants. Tony Ronzone is their lead scout. He is responsible for bringing many of the best internationals over. Gasol's, Ming, Okur, etc

WolvesJagsOs
09-28-2010, 02:04 PM

2-3 years is what im thinking. and he didnt mean we would be competitive this yeari dont think, he said we are on our way up, which is true.

WolvesJagsOs
09-28-2010, 02:07 PM

Like the other guy said, im a lil confused what you mean by Darko. He is a good defender, and also like the other guy said, we moved Al Jeff is because him and Klove together didnt work well at all defensively.

Hawkeye15
09-28-2010, 02:08 PM
its no secret the Wolves were bad on both sides last season. And they won't compete this year for the playoffs most likely. But the team's speed, youth, and shooting ability all got better. And Darko is actually a good defender and passer, when he gives a crap. Wes Johnson is a very good defender, Martel Webster as well. Part of the reason Love and Jefferson looked so bad defensively is because the wings on the Wolves last year simply let the other wings come at them full steam, not even turning them. Dwight Howard isn't stopping a pro wing coming 100 mph at them all night.
I am expecting 20-30 wins, depending on how things go. We actually have depth, haha, for a bad team. Pekovic (who everyone will remember following this season), Johnson, Ridnour, Brewer, Webster.
Anyways, it comes down to Beasley being able to guard SF's. I am not sure he is going to be that successful at it. So he may see many minutes as the hybrid triangle forward, and some minutes at PF when Love rests or they play smallish teams and he can play some center. They will indeed attempt to play Beasley at SF, and see what happens. Offensively I am not worried about it at all. Love and Beasley can both move away from the rim (though you want Love down low when the shot goes up), but the defensive side will be interesting. I am just glad we brought in some perimeter players to keep the wings out of the paint all damn night

WolvesJagsOs
09-28-2010, 02:11 PM
its no secret the Wolves were bad on both sides last season. And they won't compete this year for the playoffs most likely. But the team's speed, youth, and shooting ability all got better. And Darko is actually a good defender and passer, when he gives a crap. Wes Johnson is a very good defender, Martel Webster as well. Part of the reason Love and Jefferson looked so bad defensively is because the wings on the Wolves last year simply let the other wings come at them full steam, not even turning them. Dwight Howard isn't stopping a pro wing coming 100 mph at them all night.
I am expecting 20-30 wins, depending on how things go. We actually have depth, haha, for a bad team. Pekovic (who everyone will remember following this season), Johnson, Ridnour, Brewer, Webster.
Anyways, it comes down to Beasley being able to guard SF's. I am not sure he is going to be that successful at it. So he may see many minutes as the hybrid triangle forward, and some minutes at PF when Love rests or they play smallish teams and he can play some center. They will indeed attempt to play Beasley at SF, and see what happens. Offensively I am not worried about it at all. Love and Beasley can both move away from the rim (though you want Love down low when the shot goes up), but the defensive side will be interesting. I am just glad we brought in some perimeter players to keep the wings out of the paint all damn night

Dude, totally agree with what your saying, Im also very excited to see our team develope.

And on the Darko part, i think he really cares now, just from what ive heard of him so far, and that he has worked real hard and lost 10 pounds.