PDA

View Full Version : Best special teams in the NFL: Seahawks

FWBrodie
09-27-2010, 10:53 PM
The Seahawks have the best special teams in the NFL as far as I can tell.

Reasons why:

Lead the NFL with an insane 46.3 yards per kickoff return
Lead the NFL with 2 return TD's
3rd in the NFL in punt return average (Tate leads all rookies)
Tate leads NFL in punt return average among players with multiple returns
Lead the NFL in returns of 40+ yards with 4
Jon Ryan is the best punter in the NFL
Olindo Mare is automatic

Chacarron
09-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Jon Ryan is a great punter.

Hawk503
09-28-2010, 12:34 AM
I love how Mare is automatic now. And Josh Brown went to St. Louis "to win". So much for needing him

NINER/BLAZER
09-28-2010, 12:47 AM
Most of your stats are the result of one good game. Settle down kiddo

seathehawks253
09-28-2010, 01:30 AM
hey NINER/BLAZER, didn't your niners just get whooped by KC? and in week 1 by yours truly, the seahawks? hey...aren't you guys 0-3?
yeah that's right. so don't come in to the hawks forum and try and rain on our parade...

Baller1
09-28-2010, 02:31 AM

Tate has consistently returned the ball great in the two games he's played. Leon was one slip away from 3 return touchdowns against SD. Nice try.

FWBrodie
09-28-2010, 02:50 AM

KC and Jacksonville both played San Diego and are both ranked in the bottom half of the league anyway.

The Hawks punt return average actually dropped in week 3.

Golden Tate lead the league in punt return average after week 2.

So no. The stats are the result of consistent quality special teams play across 3 games.

furmat60
09-28-2010, 09:28 AM

I lol'd.

Seattle4Ever
09-28-2010, 06:05 PM

Oh no :( Butt hurt that you have a fat *** donut in your win column?

Ian.
09-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Brodie, Tate didn't play week one and didn't he have a long punt return week two? Of course he led and of course it dropped week three.

While we have shown greatness, it is skewed so far. It's only been three games.

Baller1
09-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Hey Brodie, how are we defensively on special teams? Like rank-wise against kick and punt returners?

Seahawker562
09-28-2010, 09:51 PM
We also give up a lot of yards on our special teams

NINER/BLAZER
09-28-2010, 10:48 PM
No need to get worked up, as stated by one of your own the stats are skewed because of one good week. I was just pointing out the obvious from an unbias view. And I never bashed your team so why bash mine. Not likely, but wont you be embarassed if our division pans out as expected and my niners still win division after the head start you got. Good luck this season, you may see me in here often since i live in the seattle area.

Magic12ball
09-28-2010, 11:28 PM
No need to get worked up, as stated by one of your own the stats are skewed because of one good week. I was just pointing out the obvious from an unbias view. And I never bashed your team so why bash mine. Not likely, but wont you be embarassed if our division pans out as expected and my niners still win division after the head start you got. Good luck this season, you may see me in here often since i live in the seattle area.

always nice to have an outsiders point of view... stick around.

Niner has a point. Stats mean nothing until the pool of data is big enough... That being said:

Washington looked GOOD on those two returns. Especially the second. He should have had a third return for a TD, but he slipped at the 50.

Tate is just ridiculous. He reminds of DeSean Jackson kinda, but he blocks ala Hines Ward. his open field moves are just filthy... if he sees you, you aren't tackling him.

Ryan was probably the team MVP last year. He can blast them and drop them down right in the 10. Mare gets most kickoffs in the endzone and is pretty much mechanical under 50.

And we gotta give some kudos to our blockers on ST... they are doing a really nice job getting some lanes open on KR and making sure to not get any flags on PR.

hawks4life
09-28-2010, 11:41 PM
I love how Mare is automatic now. And Josh Brown went to St. Louis "to win". So much for needing him

I think what Josh Brown meant by going to St Louis 'to win' was 'I'm going to St Louis for a big Paycheck'.

Anyways, on top of all those great stats, we can't forget the great hustle by Lewis. After Ryan's punts, he is down that field quicker than anyone. There is no way that our Special Teams is second to anyone. I remember reading an article before the season began on Pete Carroll and one of his goals was striving for special teams. He stated that great teams started with Great Special Teams. This is no accident folks! This what Pete Carroll wanted.

furmat60
09-28-2010, 11:44 PM
I think what Josh Brown meant by going to St Louis 'to win' was 'I'm going to St Louis for a big Paycheck'.

Anyways, on top of all those great stats, we can't forget the great hustle by Lewis. After Ryan's punts, he is down that field quicker than anyone. There is no way that our Special Teams is second to anyone. I remember reading an article before the season began on Pete Carroll and one of his goals was striving for special teams. He stated that great teams started with Great Special Teams. This is no accident folks! This what Pete Carroll wanted.

Great special teams=Great field position...or in our case, TD's :D

hawks4life
09-28-2010, 11:49 PM
Great special teams=Great field position...or in our case, TD's :D

Haha! yeah! Who needs Offense when you have Leon Washington! Lol!

Hawk503
09-29-2010, 01:51 AM
^ Big paycheck is obviously right. I could be wrong, but I thought that we had a similar offer. I could be wrong or it could've been slightly less and he just took the best offer. Not that it matters at all. haha

Boozerguy47
09-29-2010, 02:03 AM

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Three games isn't that amazing of a sample size.

Sometimes it really gets old seeing all the dicks on the forums (not you Niner), but whatever. Just try to ignore them.

FWBrodie
09-29-2010, 02:44 AM

First of all, your 49er optimism is hilarious.

Second, who bashed you exactly?

FWBrodie
09-29-2010, 02:49 AM

Babs has had some huge ST's tackles too.

Ian.
09-29-2010, 09:05 AM
First of all, your 49er optimism is hilarious.

Second, who bashed you exactly?

Anyone who responded to him and mentioned his team bashed him.

He came in here with an extremely valid point, only to have his team ripped on. We need to learn not to talk all this **** to opposition when our special teams carried us to a victory. That ain't happenin on a weekly basis, guys.

Ian.
09-29-2010, 09:08 AM
I also want to play devil's advocate here. Brodie, you give him a hard time for his 49er optimism. I think we need to take a look in the mirror and not get brainwashed by two good games. Remember the Denver game? Yeah, it was ugly.

seathehawks253
09-29-2010, 11:49 AM
its called rivalry. if you're a true football fan, or any sports fan for that matter, you just have this natural hatred toward the division rival. me personally, i hate niner fans just because throughout the season, all you hear from niner fans is how great they are and how crappy we are and how theyre going to cruise to be division champs. so every vulnerable chance you get, you attack.

Ian.
09-29-2010, 02:05 PM
You'll soon find out that PSD doesn't roll that way

Boozerguy47
09-29-2010, 03:06 PM
its called rivalry. if you're a true football fan, or any sports fan for that matter, you just have this natural hatred toward the division rival. me personally, i hate niner fans just because throughout the season, all you hear from niner fans is how great they are and how crappy we are and how theyre going to cruise to be division champs. so every vulnerable chance you get, you attack.

As Ian said, that isn't how PSD operates. Sure, you can hate the 9ers -- I do -- but I don't go all out each day and just trash them.

FWBrodie
09-29-2010, 04:30 PM
I also want to play devil's advocate here. Brodie, you give him a hard time for his 49er optimism. I think we need to take a look in the mirror and not get brainwashed by two good games. Remember the Denver game? Yeah, it was ugly.

Ian... I'm aware of the fragility of ANY season and a especially one in with a team full of new players and coaches coming off two terrible years. However, you only get 16 games to enjoy and the Seahawks have beaten two teams that were expected to coast to division titles. I'm going to go ahead and abuse the opportunity to be proud and optimistic regardless of the obvious risk of a letdown.

PS. The Denver game wasn't that bad. A lot of good things happened that didn't show up on the scoreboard.

FWBrodie
09-29-2010, 05:15 PM

Also, I don't dish out anything I can't handle myself.

Baller1
09-29-2010, 06:38 PM

Well stop.

Just messing with you. But seriously, as of now we have the bragging rights; thus the **** talking.

When people were talking **** before the season started, I was getting thoroughly annoyed. Everything was based of opinion and it was really ****ing stupid. But now we have reason to be optimistic. You know what I mean?

clang7777
09-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Ian... I'm aware of the fragility of ANY season and a especially one in with a team full of new players and coaches coming off two terrible years. However, you only get 16 games to enjoy and the Seahawks have beaten two teams that were expected to coast to division titles. I'm going to go ahead and abuse the opportunity to be proud and optimistic regardless of the obvious risk of a letdown.

PS. The Denver game wasn't that bad. A lot of good things happened that didn't show up on the scoreboard.

Couldn't agree more. As crazy as the Chargers game was with special teams plays and such, the Broncos game made less sense to me personally.

I can see both sides of the coin. This isn't baseball, where things progress rather slowly over 162 games, Football is a god damn roller coaster and as a result, talking **** is going to be much more prevelent than anywhere else.

NINER/BLAZER
09-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Brodie. I dont mind the trash talking, I just wanted to be clear that I wasnt bashing your team, just being real. And as far as my optimism, I started off with ''Its not likely but...."
So its pretty clear I dont expect Niners to take over the division but the fact is both the Cards & Hawks are doing better than expected and the Niners are doing worse than expected. Niners have played 3 teams that are playing good right now, Hawks have played 3 teams that are struggling right now, think about that one for a bit. And no Im not calling the hawks or chiefs GOOD teams, im just saying they are playing good right now

Seattle4Ever
09-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Brodie. I dont mind the trash talking, I just wanted to be clear that I wasnt bashing your team, just being real. And as far as my optimism, I started off with ''Its not likely but...."
So its pretty clear I dont expect Niners to take over the division but the fact is both the Cards & Hawks are doing better than expected and the Niners are doing worse than expected. Niners have played 3 teams that are playing good right now, Hawks have played 3 teams that are struggling right now, think about that one for a bit. And no Im not calling the hawks or chiefs GOOD teams, im just saying they are playing good right now

49ers first 3 weeks:

Seahawks - 2-1
Chiefs - 3-0
Saints - 2-1

Seahawks first 3 weeks:

49ers - 0-3
Broncos - 1-2
Chargers - 1-2

You do realize that if the Chargers beat us they'd be 2-1? You can't say they're struggling much, they tend to start slow-ish. Their offense is amazing they rank 10th in PTS, 1st in yards, 2nd in pass yards, and 13th in rushing.

The Chiefs are 3-0, but they beat the Chargers, who you called a struggling team. The Browns by only 2 points (enough said) and YOU. So I believe you're calling your own team bad. Correct?

I believe if we faced the Saints and Chiefs, we could be 2-1.

Boozerguy47
10-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Eh I still don't see all the positives in the Denver game...

Our first drive was great until the penalties and INT. Tate looked good... Aside from that, nothing was that impressive in my book.

I would say that if we had successfully scored a TD our first drive, the game could have been a lot different... Not that the 'would/could' argument is valid.

Seattle4Ever
10-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Thurmond really, really ****ed us over. Had he not fumbled, they wouldn't have scored and we COULD have scored. So at the least, the score would've been 24-21 rather than 31-14. That's a big difference, isn't it? So I think a would/could argument is pretty valid.

Hawk503
10-01-2010, 02:52 AM
I agree about the Thurmond fumble. I know it's never an easy argument to make when it's shoulda woulda coulda, but you never know what could have happened if he didn't fumble.

Seattle4Ever
10-01-2010, 06:27 PM
I don't know why he was punt returning anyways. I like Forsett, Washington, and Tate over him.

NINER/BLAZER
10-01-2010, 09:50 PM
49ers first 3 weeks:

Seahawks - 2-1
Chiefs - 3-0
Saints - 2-1

Seahawks first 3 weeks:

49ers - 0-3
Broncos - 1-2
Chargers - 1-2

You do realize that if the Chargers beat us they'd be 2-1? You can't say they're struggling much, they tend to start slow-ish. Their offense is amazing they rank 10th in PTS, 1st in yards, 2nd in pass yards, and 13th in rushing.

The Chiefs are 3-0, but they beat the Chargers, who you called a struggling team. The Browns by only 2 points (enough said) and YOU. So I believe you're calling your own team bad. Correct?

I believe if we faced the Saints and Chiefs, we could be 2-1.

Not sure if your arguing or agreeing, you just laid out all the facts for me. Hawks played 3 teams with losing records, Niners played 3 teams with winning records, what are we arguing here. Yes the chargers do tend to start off slow, do you think they do that on purpose or would you say they are struggling. Also I didnt call any team good or BAD to answer your question. And yes I do realize if the chargers beat you then theyd be 2-1, and if the niners beat you also then youd be 0-3 and if the niners beat the chiefs and saints then they would be 3-0. And if the Hawks were a descent franchise they might have at least one superbowl under their belt. Sorry for all that but you put up a bad argument and it got me going. I like to debate facts not what could have or should have happened. Congrats to you though, your team is winning and mine is not.

Hawk503
10-01-2010, 11:26 PM
I understand what you're saying Seattle4Ever. It makes sense actually. If we lost our games then the teams we played would not be seen as struggling teams

NINER/BLAZER
10-02-2010, 03:51 AM
I understand what you're saying Seattle4Ever. It makes sense actually. If we lost our games then the teams we played would not be seen as struggling teams

:clap: Wow.....Just Wow:facepalm:

Hawk503
10-02-2010, 02:23 PM
If you don't agree then fine. But tougher schedule or not, idc, I'll take the 2-1

FWBrodie
10-02-2010, 02:54 PM
The Seahawks slaughtered the 49ers. End of discussion.

slickintern
10-02-2010, 03:56 PM
The Seahawks slaughtered the 49ers. End of discussion.

This is where the thread gets closed, well done brodie lol!!!:clap:

plastikman
10-02-2010, 04:35 PM
This is where the thread gets closed, well done brodie lol!!!:clap:

Ehh, he's not wrong, that was a blood bath.

Seattle4Ever
10-02-2010, 07:45 PM

I'm glad someone understands, lol.

Ian.
10-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Good thing we like to talk **** here! Our team sure is great! Our special teams is awesome!

Seattle4Ever
10-03-2010, 07:04 PM
:facepalm: Our offense sucks. Our D is fine to be honest, the only needed upgrades on Defense is SS and CB. I don't see D-End as a pressing need. And as for DT, we're fine as long as Colin Cole maintains his level of play.

chonbon
10-03-2010, 07:45 PM
your guys special teams was still impressive

Seattle4Ever
10-03-2010, 08:09 PM
^ Sarcasm?