PDA

View Full Version : NHL "Hard Knocks"!

Foge7
09-27-2010, 01:15 PM
http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_display/news/cable-tv/e3i658a6a7dda1cb7041a3097348211f028

Would be great if it was the Rangers, maybe next season...

bsi
09-27-2010, 06:28 PM
With guys like Avery and Boogard as well as a raft of young guys trying to make the team, I could easily see it being NY if they did it again. Not surprised they picked Pits and Washington though.

commonsense12
09-27-2010, 06:51 PM
They wouldnt pick the Rangers. It would be either the Stanley cup champs or Pitts or Wash. They would want at least one huge star and although we have stars we dont have the elite (Ovie, Crosby, Kovie etc)

messleetch94
09-28-2010, 11:10 AM
I hope the Rangers would decline if they were asked. when you have cameras in your face 24/7, it makes individuals, not a team. Torts is all about team and it would not be god for the Rangers.

mlisica19
09-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Well that would be tough. Hockey as we all know, even though increasing through the ranks, is not highly popular throughout America. Luckily for HBO, the countries (esp Russia and Canada) will surely tune in for such entertainment. Yet America is what HBO wants to attract. The biggest population especially toward entertainment.

It worked with NFL cuz Football is to America the #1 sport here, our true past time. The Jets with a entertaining coach, high profiled owners and managers as well as colorful players on and off the field made the show a huge hit.

Even though i think a hardknocks is exactly what the NHL needs, i wont be shocked if people wont tune in december.

Yet there doing the right thing by covering two teams and not just one. In this way, you know you will have two big cities who will watch. Two cities who are so passionate about their teams. These two teams also have such colorful players and elite popular names that will both fit perfectly in the modern world. Funny entertaining skilled offensive guys. So it probably will work, and it will only increase the ratings for the Winter Classic. Which is also a +.

The sad thing is that I dont think it will fit well with New York Rangers. In NY hockey is hardly anything. I mean its soemthing as long as you compare it to other states. Only cuz NY is so big of a city and state and population is hockey so minimized. We have two football teams which both include NJ fans. We have 2 baseball teams, one that has a record in championships. A basketball team, including a NJ team near by. We a LONG ISLAND hockey pro club, and a upstate one. NY is so diverse, which makes it great and all but would a hard knocks show would not make so much sense

Its a big gamble i Think... It can either be great for the club, I mean John Tortorella and the FUture GM in MEssier would be a great fit on TV. Lundqvist yea, Gabs yea and i mean we have some colorful guys. But idk

The world might rather see Detroit if they continue this next year.

But NY was on my top 4 chosen.
which included Was and Pitt, and as i said Det.

mlisica19
09-28-2010, 12:25 PM
New York would be a pretty cool place, but idk if it would immediately catch the attention of the creators and directors of the show over Chicago or Detroit. They should do that rivalry next year. In fact, NHL should continue doing 2 teams. A Rivalry, bring back tradition and a sense of what hockey is all about. HATRED haha. If the Rangers were to be involved it should be against New Jersey.

New York has some colorful players which all guys like to see.
JT as our coach def would be interesting behind scenes.
Sather would be boring but hed be the mature guy in our club, Messier as his back up would bring alot of attention.

Gaborik is not that well known to the general public, but his skill on the ice would def catch eyes once we drew pple to the show.
Pple like Lundqvist and Avery would attract those viewers. These guys are always featured in magazines or the media in many ways and will attract a broad audience.

Drury can be the mature leader all teams need, his experience and past along with prospal would catch attentions to the viewers.

Then again, it comes down to how good the team does this year if they were to do it.
If they get knocked out the first round or something. or heck if the Rangers play teh Devils this year in the playoffs and it was interesting views. Its possible and i would love it

but if HBO were to do it again... my bets on Detroit and Chicago. World Class players, two big cities especially in the hockey world. Colorful guys like Kane, Datsyuk, Howard, Zetterberg, Toews etc etc

bsi
09-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I think following up the Hard Knocks football show with a hockey one might entice fans of that show to watch the NHL one, it might be a good marketing ploy. It'll probably just make a whole lot more Ovechkin fans though than anything, lol. If I were picking a team to follow it would be the Oilers with all their emerging young players, but ofcourse that wouldn't translate into viewers in the states. So for me, I guess I'd take a west team and an East team in the States. New York and Detroit. I think using teams from each conference would benefit the show, as it would cover a broader area. IMO they should have used say Pitsburgh this year, and Washington next. I'll be watching this show for sure.