PDA

View Full Version : Shaq interview on Wade, Kobe and Duncan and who he competes against

JordansBulls
09-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=macmullan_jackie&id=5620537)

Shaquille O'Neal lounged in his family room last June observing the Lakers' championship celebration on his flat-screen television, listening to the comments of former teammate Kobe Bryant with a bemused smile.

When asked what his fifth championship meant to him personally, Bryant declared, "I got one more than Shaq. So you can take that to the bank."

"My first thought [after hearing that] was, 'Well, I guess I'm still relevant,'" O'Neal said. "Kobe is still thinking about me, I guess. I'm still someone to be measured against.

"But I don't compete with little guards. I don't compete with little guys who run around dominating the ball, throwing up 30 shots a night -- like D-Wade, Kobe.

"Now if Tim Duncan said it, I'd be pissed. He's the only guy I'm competing with. If Tim Duncan gets five rings, then that gives some writer the chance to say 'Duncan is the best,' and I can't have that."

ShaqShoes
09-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Wow. You quoted this in a way for it to be taken out of context. Here is what Shaq said next:
"Now if Tim Duncan said it, I'd be pissed. He's the only guy I'm competing with. If Tim Duncan gets five rings, then that gives some writer the chance to say 'Duncan is the best,' and I can't have that."

Gators123
09-27-2010, 12:29 PM
:burn:

xbrackattackx
09-27-2010, 12:31 PM
:burn:

xbrackattackx
09-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Wow. You quoted this in a way for it to be taken out of context. Here is what Shaq said next:

JB you trying to start trouble?

daleja424
09-27-2010, 12:34 PM
oh shaq :facepalm:

those guys helped you get titles bro...

Law25
09-27-2010, 12:37 PM
I understand what Shaq is talking about being th greatest big ever, but... he's full of ****. He must have forgot his own lyrics, " one two the three Kobe could'nt win one withut me". He's right though Kobe couldnt win just one without him. Oh an Shaq hows Buss as taste. I bet he wish He could of stayed in shape and got paid with more rings instead of ring chaseing to be considered the best big. Just like Lebron left the franchise hero convo, Shaq left the greatest big convo when he became an chaser.

Teeboy1487
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Man I use to be a huge fan of this guy. Now, I can't wait until he retires. Shaq, you are irrelevant. I'll be rooting for anyone to beat the celtics next year. I don't want shaq to get another ring. If the Heat and Celtics meet in the ECF, Go Heat.

Khalifa21
09-27-2010, 12:41 PM
I understand what Shaq is talking about being th greatest big ever, but... he's full of ****. He must have forgot his own lyrics, " one two the three Kobe could'nt win one withut me". He's right though Kobe couldnt win just one without him. Oh an Shaq hows Buss as taste. I bet he wish He could of stayed in shape and got paid with more rings instead of ring chaseing to be considered the best big. Just like Lebron left the franchise hero convo, Shaq left the greatest big convo when he became an chaser.

Becoming a "ring chaser" doesn't detract the fact that when he was in his prime there has never been anyone as dominant.

Shaq can retire now for me and be the best big ever with his 4 rings.

smith&wesson
09-27-2010, 12:50 PM
I dont think he said any thing wrong here. All he said is that he doesn't care to be compared to shooting gaurds. He wants to be remembered as the best big man. And if Tim Duncan is the only active player that can match or surpass his legacy then he would be more worried.

He isn't a shooting gaurd. when its all said and done he wont be compared to shooting gaurds. He will be compared to other big men. I totally understand what he is saying. the question is why don't you well educated basketball minds understand this ?

smith&wesson
09-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Becoming a "ring chaser" doesn't detract the fact that when he was in his prime there has never been anyone as dominant.

I agree. and theres nothing wrong with a player becoming a ring chaser when he is like 36 + years old.

what else is he supose to do . if he thinks he can still help a team win then why the hell shouldnt he try to get his 5th ring.

some ppl are just haters. shaq is one the best players of our era. and his big mouth has entertained us for years. but since he is old now we can just forget about him and throw him under a buss.

ppl are messed up man. show some love for the most dominant big man of our era.

ShaqShoes
09-27-2010, 12:56 PM
I dont think he said any thing wrong here. All he said is that he doesn't care to be compared to shooting gaurds. He wants to be remembered as the best big man. And if Tim Duncan is the only active player that can match or surpass his legacy then he would be more worried.

He isn't a shooting gaurd. when its all said and done he wont be compared to shooting gaurds. He will be compared to other big men. I totally understand what he is saying. the question is why don't you well educated basketball minds understand this ?

Because JordanBulls quoted it in a way that makes it look like he's taking a shot at these guys. He deliberately left out the part where Shaq says he wants to be compared with players like Duncan not guards like Kobe and Wade.

beasted86
09-27-2010, 12:59 PM

:facepalm:... sorry to be blunt, but your basketball IQ is F'd.

Iron24th
09-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Jordanbulls :pity:

beasted86
09-27-2010, 01:05 PM
... and yes, Shaq was taking shots at Wade & Kobe, but this is not the first time, this is an old story.

Shaq has taken shots at former teammates/coaches/staff of all 5 teams he has played for:
ORL: Penny + GM
LA: Kobe
MIA: Wade + other teammates + Riley + training staff
PHX: Nash + Amare
CLE: Mo Williams

_Supreme_
09-27-2010, 01:06 PM
It doesn't matter what he said next. The words he used for the first part do the trick of making him a seven foot A-hole once again regardless of the rest.

"Little guards taking 30 shots" has an obvious negative, degrading tone to it, and he always does this when he opens his mouth about other players.

Now what he should have said: "I don't compare myself/my career to guards, but to other bigs". Had he said that, using those words, then nobody would ever have an issue with it.

JordansBulls
09-27-2010, 01:08 PM
It doesn't matter what he said next. The words he used for the first part do the trick of making him a seven foot A-hole once again regardless of the rest.

"Little guards taking 30 shots" has an obvious negative, degrading tone to it, and he always does this when he opens his mouth about other players.

Now what he should have said: "I don't compare myself/my career to guards, but to other bigs". Had he said that, using those words, then nobody would ever have an issue with it.

Exactly!!

The article stated how he felt about the situation and the way he worded it made it seem like he was against those guys.

Basketash
09-27-2010, 01:11 PM

This. But i believe he intentionaly said it in that way, it's shaq being shaq it isn' the first time.

_Supreme_
09-27-2010, 01:11 PM
The words you use to express your opinion & feelings make a difference to the way other people receive your message like night and day.

sep11ie
09-27-2010, 01:36 PM
What??? Shaq is taking shots at people? No way!

Whoever called him the bester center of all time, did you see what The Dream did to him?

Hellcrooner
09-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Last time i checked Duncan made his team a champion second year and has 4 rings as the team LEADER.

Shaq couldnt get his first team talented as it was with Penny, Horace, Adnerson, Skiles etc to glory thn lead 3 rings but was teh second option on Miamis.

so sorry fat *** but DUNCAN IS better tha you.

and better than all those "little gurads" btw.

Celtic AL
09-27-2010, 01:59 PM
you guys crack me up LOL

Celtic AL
09-27-2010, 02:04 PM
we get it you guys hate shaq!

Antipod
09-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Shaqa style, he`s the man x))

smith&wesson
09-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Because JordanBulls quoted it in a way that makes it look like he's taking a shot at these guys. He deliberately left out the part where Shaq says he wants to be compared with players like Duncan not guards like Kobe and Wade.

i like jordan bulls he makes alot of threads ... but yeah your right the title was misleading. i dont see shaq taking shots at any one here.

smith&wesson
09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
we get it you guys hate shaq!

my old friend celti al lol
i dont hate boston i promice.

and i actually like the oniels on the celtics.

a team full of vets who play team ball and are very hard nosed at the same time.

i dont get all the shaq hate... really i dont. i enjoyed watching shaq through out his career.

BULLSFAN0810
09-27-2010, 02:26 PM
oh shaq :facepalm:

those guys helped you get titles bro...

No SHAQ WON THOSE TITLES...SHAQ GAVE DWADE SPACE TO DRIVE THE LANE...SHAQ ALWAYS COMMANDED A DOUBLE TEAM...RESPECT DUDE

BOSTON617
09-27-2010, 02:54 PM
No SHAQ WON THOSE TITLES...SHAQ GAVE DWADE SPACE TO DRIVE THE LANE...SHAQ ALWAYS COMMANDED A DOUBLE TEAM...RESPECT DUDE

this
a prime shaq>>>>>> prime duncan

pebloemer
09-27-2010, 03:25 PM
I don't think people need to read into it too much. It is just Shaq being Shaq. He likes to "stir the pot." He can't really make headlines by being a dominant NBA player anymore, but he can still take shots at others around the league. There is nothing new here. He loves the attention :).

TylerSL
09-27-2010, 03:34 PM

wow hater :rolleyes: Wade had the greatest Finals Performance ever, that wasnt Shaq, you just hate on the Heat because you didnt get any of the big 3. Ive read your posts before :facepalm:

TylerSL
09-27-2010, 03:36 PM
this
a prime shaq>>>>>> prime duncan

do you also believe that Shaq won that title for Miami? He helped yes, but without Wade idk if they would have even made it to the ECF......

PraiseJesus
09-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Shaq also said in the past that Duncan isn't a 'big man' he is a PF.

Shaq is all over the map.

I like the honesty though: "It shows I'm still relevant"

lmao

Celtic AL
09-27-2010, 03:41 PM
wow hater :rolleyes: Wade had the greatest Finals Performance ever, that wasnt Shaq, you just hate on the Heat because you didnt get any of the big 3. Ive read your posts before :facepalm:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: STOP IT just stop it

WadeKobe
09-27-2010, 03:42 PM

But the point is true. Shaq was respected by the defense and he opened up driving lanes for Wade. Without Shaq there Wade would have been double and triple teamed and shut down. That's just a fact. Did Wade take it into his own hands and put up the greatest finals performance ever? Yes.

However, could he have done that without Shaq playing center? Doubtful.

All of this "1 guy" talk is just plain stupid here on PSD and it's really making me lose all interest in this site. Do people believe that any one player in basketball history has ever had the ability to single-handedly win championships and dominate their competition without a team along side of them?

I'm just really, really, really sick of it.

RaiderLakersA's
09-27-2010, 03:51 PM

Winner!

We all know that Shaq has media savvy and is a deliberate instigator. He's admitted as much on many occasions. He chose his words wisely as well as his timing. Sensationalist? Maybe, but that doesn't mean that he's not expressing EXACTLY how he feels. Is there anyone on the planet that really thinks Shaq was joking when he said (paraphrased) "Kobe, how does my *** taste?" And only a fool ignores the condescending tone of "little guys dominating the ball," taking 30 shots a game. Make no mistake, he is belittling Kobe and Wade. He didn't have to mention either one by name in order to drive his point home. But he did.

WadeKobe
09-27-2010, 03:53 PM

That's not really true.

The fact is that Wilt was more dominant. However, he played against miserable competition. The competition factor makes Shaq better, imo, than Wilt.

However, Shaq is still #2 when it comes to that (dominating your competition).

Shaq had 5 consecutive seasons with PER over 29.5 and 6 over 28.8. (3 over 30).

That's insane...

But did you forget about how good MJ was? PER favors big-guys because of FG% and Rebounds. However, in the best era for "big-men" (PF and C) that the league has ever seen...

MJ recorded 4 consecutive +30 PER seasons, and 6 consecutive +29.5 PER seasons.

Also, I think that "length of prime" should be part of the discussion of "Dominance." Michael didn't have a "prime." His prime was his entire career. His first year was 25+ PER and his last year (non-wizard) was 25+ PER.

His ONLY year below that was a 17 game season where he was out of basketball shape.

No one can touch the feet of Jordan's dominance. And he did it in the best era of basketball, with the best competition, and by far the best era for Defensive Shot-Blocking centers. In that era he was still untouchable when he drove to the lane.

There will never be another like Michael.

WadeKobe
09-27-2010, 03:55 PM
do you also believe that Shaq won that title for Miami? He helped yes, but without Wade idk if they would have even made it to the ECF......

but without Shaq would we have made it to the ECF? Probably not.

It's a TEAM game. Clearly Wade was the most important piece. But Shaq was vitally important and so was Walker, JWill, and ZO.

The contribution of each during that run was irreplaceable.

Bruno
09-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Eh. You don't have to be currently/actively relevant for your career accomplishments to be used as a yard stick for other players.

Steelers23_06
09-27-2010, 04:06 PM
SHAQ SUCKSSSSS y waste your time talking about this garbage its like when charles barkley disses players things arent relevant when your a nobody. yea they both are hands down top 5 players of their time but their times are over noone cares about what shaq says not kobe because he has 5 now, not wade because he has 2 of the best players in the league and will prob. win more than kobe and lebron when its all said and done. shaq is just pretty much a commentator on the court now NOONE IS WORRIED ABOUT SHAQ!!! hes not even a top 10 center in the league now and he is going to talk about players that are still top 3 in their position get the f outta here waste of time

WadeKobe
09-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Eh. You don't have to be currently/actively relevant for your career accomplishments to be used as a yard stick for other players.

Yea... but is anyone here going to actually argue that Shaquille O'Neal added to the Boston Celtics team is not relevant?

I doubt it.

Come playoff time, can you imagine having Shaquille O'Neal as Perkins' backup?

Come on. That's relevant if anything ever was. Especially after the impact Perkins' injury had on games 6 and 7.

Shaq may only be contextually relevant, but he's definitely still relevant.

mikantsass
09-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Last time i checked Duncan made his team a champion second year and has 4 rings as the team LEADER.

Shaq couldnt get his first team talented as it was with Penny, Horace, Adnerson, Skiles etc to glory thn lead 3 rings but was teh second option on Miamis.

Shaq lead YOUR lakers to a 3peat as the leader buddy. And correct me if I'm wrong but didnt a dominant Orlando Shaq lead his team to the finals? Not his fault that Houston was the better team. Duncan also played next to David Robinson in his 2nd year. A top 6-7 center of all time.

Ever hear of Hakeem, Wilt, Kareem, Russel?

Geargo Wallace
09-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Still takes bigs to win championships. Shaq is right. But if Wade had an actual good big than he probably wouldn't be taking 30 shots a night. Kobe has 3 good bigs so he has no excuse.

stawka
09-27-2010, 04:23 PM

Are you kidding me? You are on the same level as JordansBulls, only he can speak English

Duncan came in and had Robinson? And anyone that says Hakeem killed Shaq, did you watch the series or just looking at the 4-0 part?

While I hate when he opens his mouth about other players, I don't see much wrong with what he said -- and DEFINITELY doesn't deserve it's own thread... But that's JB for ya

ChiSox219
09-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Shaq > Kobe

You can take that to the bank.

Celtic AL
09-27-2010, 04:51 PM
for the record this thread should be in the c's forum

jackdawson
09-27-2010, 05:29 PM

He won Kobe titles but not Wade. Wade won his old fat *** a title in 2006 with arguably the greatest final's performace of all time. If you didn't know that then you started watching basketball after 2006.

CHANGO
09-27-2010, 05:30 PM
One day, talking trash to Lebron, and take care Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce or Kevin Garnett, you are next!

He obviously has been one of the great centers who have played the game, but his character, does not help ...

Wade>You
09-27-2010, 05:46 PM
What a way to take shots at Kobe, Wade, AND Duncan. Double burn.

LakersWinAgain
09-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Shaq > Kobe

Wrong on so many levels. Kobe outworks Shaq, can hit his free throws, doesn't brick it from 1 foot out (see Shaq in game 4 - Lakers v Sac WCF, when Horry bailed him out), doesn't constantly throw his teammates under the bus, doesn't require the public's approval, isn't a clown, plays hard on both ends of the floor, and can hit a pressure shot.

Shaq, on the other hand, is a HUGE liability for any team in transition, doesn't run the floor effectively, can't hit a FT to save his life, is a step slower, can't establish position down low without fouling, and will not make a significant difference when it counts for Boston.

Take THAT to the bank!

Geargo Wallace
09-27-2010, 06:59 PM
for the record this thread should be in the c's forum

This chat turned into a chat of all-time Shaq, so it should stay.

masTOR_shake1
09-27-2010, 07:21 PM
shaq knows kobe's legacy will be greater / are the spurs still searious contenders? i want timmy d to win another ring and i don't see him leaving san antone ever.

xxcubs22xx
09-27-2010, 07:24 PM
The way Shaq's brain works:

If you're not another big, you're a little guy.

Im with smith n wesson here i think Shaq is making a valid point and not necessarily trying to take shots at people

papisupremo
09-27-2010, 08:03 PM
shaq? best big ever? yall are trippin man! i think bill russell might have something to say about that. f- jordan, f- shaq, bill russell had more rings than all those fools. and i never even seen him play, but those numbers you just cant argue with.

Geargo Wallace
09-27-2010, 08:14 PM
shaq? best big ever? yall are trippin man! i think bill russell might have something to say about that. f- jordan, f- shaq, bill russell had more rings than all those fools. and i never even seen him play, but those numbers you just cant argue with.

You can argue many things about the era that he played in. Things like the amount of teams. The rules in that era. The amount of tiny white ppl. And so on...

Not taking anything away from Russel but Shaq would murder him.

TylerSL
09-27-2010, 09:05 PM
But the point is true. Shaq was respected by the defense and he opened up driving lanes for Wade. Without Shaq there Wade would have been double and triple teamed and shut down. That's just a fact. Did Wade take it into his own hands and put up the greatest finals performance ever? Yes.

However, could he have done that without Shaq playing center? Doubtful.

All of this "1 guy" talk is just plain stupid here on PSD and it's really making me lose all interest in this site. Do people believe that any one player in basketball history has ever had the ability to single-handedly win championships and dominate their competition without a team along side of them?

I'm just really, really, really sick of it.

youre right, without Shaq they dont win a title. Shaq played a vital role, but to say that Shaq won that title and not Wade like the Bulls homer did is rediculous.

TylerSL
09-27-2010, 09:10 PM
but without Shaq would we have made it to the ECF? Probably not.

It's a TEAM game. Clearly Wade was the most important piece. But Shaq was vitally important and so was Walker, JWill, and ZO.

The contribution of each during that run was irreplaceable.

I agree with this, and if Riley didnt take over, im sure we wouldnt have won the finals with SVG on the sidelines. But again when that Bulls fan acted like Wade didnt win but Shaq did, it was frustrating to say the least, and like I said hes said that before Ive read multiple posts of his trashing DWade and Lebron.

_KB24_
09-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Shaq > Kobe

Sorry, the bank is closed. Your too late, Shaq.

mynameismo
09-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Again.. Marketing. :)

IndiansFan337
09-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=macmullan_jackie&id=5620537)

Shaq changes his tune every few years. Now that he realizes he isn't going to be able to surpass Bryant he plays it off like it doesn't bother him.

I find it funny that Shaq did not mention LBJ in the same sentence as Bryant and Wade. I know LBJ might not be considered a "little man," but he certainly plays the game like a guard as much or moreso than the aforementioned two superstars.

Gators123
09-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Again.. Marketing. :)

Yup.

Hangtime
09-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Why do people always want to say Shaq won those titles for his former superstar teammates Kobe and Wade. First of all Shaq has always worked as a tandem along side another great player. Be it Penny, Kobe, Wade, Nash and Lebron. Having a big dominating force in the paint and a versatile scoring athletic guy who can create his own shot has always gone hand in hand. Shaq has been blessed to have that his entire career. Surround them with players who can shoot the rock and defend and instant champion. Ask Patrick Ewing or Olajuwon about playing with those type of caliber players like the great Shaq had.

MTar786
09-28-2010, 09:34 AM
i used to be a shaq fan.. switched to kobe in 06 and never looked back. Its not hard to tell kobe is the best player in the NBA.

kobe is one of the greatest of all time..

but the way i see it..

shaqs prime lasted like 4 years. and ANYONE who you would put in front of his face anytime in those 4 years would get eaten alive. be it kobe, mj, magic, hakeem(who is also one of my all time favs) , bird.. anyone.

career wise. of course its jordan. Russel too if u care about the 50's

but people need to understand from 99-00 - 03 shaq was IMO the best player of all time

btw people say wade had the best finals of all time? ummmm.. look at what shaq did in the 00 nba finals.. i think he averaged over 37ppg and 16 rebounds.. on like 64fg%