PDA

View Full Version : Surprise move. Semenov and Exlby were released. (MZA and Grachev were demoted)

SLY WILLIAMS
09-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Looks like Gilroy, Mcd, Sauer, Emminger and Valentenko, are showing enough to the coaches. :)

MZA, Grachev, Weise, Byers and Newberry were demoted.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Chad Johnson and Wade Redden also demoted.

Down to 16 fwds and 9 dmen in camp

zomgitsdeja
09-27-2010, 12:15 PM
mildly disappointed to see semenov go though he showed more in the pre season than eminger did

RangersMets
09-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Valentenko looked especially good last time. I think the thing that has the coaches most enamored with his play is his heavy shot from the point that our powerplay has been sorely lacking.

Gilroy has been giving it his all since he came through TC doors, so he's earned it.

I don't have much to say on McD, but he has looked fairly solid.

Eminger should be gone in the next cuts.

I am kind of surprised that MZA is being cut, but I completely understand the move. This only bolsters our already efficient and outstanding prospects corps.

I just hope this all pans out well! haha

SLY WILLIAMS
09-27-2010, 12:19 PM
mildly disappointed to see semenov go though he showed more in the pre season than eminger did

I'm surprised that they were both let go before Emminger as well. I think Emminger may end up in Hartford and the team was maybe doing them a favor by releasing them with time to catch on with another team.

Staal/Girardi
MDZ/Rozy
McD/Gilroy
Valentenko

That could be one of the youngest defense groups in the NHL

SLY WILLIAMS
09-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Mike Sauer could still have a chance also. Fans rarely speak about him.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Semenov, Exelby, Zuccarello among the cuts

There will be no contract drama this time around for Alexei Semenov, who last season made the Rangers off a tryout then declined their contract off to play in Russia. The veteran defenseman was among 11 players trimmed from the Rangers roster today, leaving the team four above the regular-season maximum of 23.

Fellow veteran defenseman Garnet Exelby was also released from his tryout and Wade Redden was officially assigned to Hartford (AHL) after clearing waivers. Nine defensemen (likely for seven spots) and 16 forwards (for as many as 14 spots), including tryout Ruslan Fedotenko and injured captain Chris Drury, who could start the season on injured reserve though he is expected to resume skating this week, remain on the Rangersí roster. Goalie Chad Johnson was also assigned to Hartford meaning Henrik Lundqvist and Marty Biron will split the rest of the preseason.

Mildly surprised Mats Zuccarello didnít get a longer look over the final three preseason games. I thought he was looking stronger as the preseason progressed. But this move makes sense for him to fully acclimate his game to the North American rinks. I have little doubt heíll wind up contributing to the Rangers this season.

Of the players sent to Hartford, forwards Dane Byers, Kris Newbury and Jeremy Williams all must pass through waivers.

To Hartford:
G: Chad Johnson
D: Wade Redden
F: Dane Byers, Evgeny Grachev, Kris Newbury, Dale Weise, Jeremy Williams, Mats Zuccarello

Released from tryouts:
D: Garnet Exelby, Brandon Manning, Alexei Semenov

Still on Rangersí roster:
G: Martin Biron, Henrik Lundqvist
D: Michael Del Zotto, Steve Eminger, Matt Gilroy, Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh, Michal Rozsival, Michael Sauer, Marc Staal, Pavel Valentenko
F: Artem Anisimov, Sean Avery, Derek Boogaard, Brian Boyle, Ryan Callahan, Erik Christensen, Chris Drury, Brandon Dubinsky, Ruslan Fedotenko, Alex Frolov, Marian Gaborik, Tim Kennedy, Vinny Prospal, Brandon Prust, Derek Stepan, Todd White

Among the defensemen, I think itís safe to assume Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto and Rozsival have spots on the team, leaving Gilroy, McDonagh, Sauer, Eminger and Valenteko battling for three spots if John Tortorella decides to carry seven. At this point, Iíd give Gilroy, McDonagh and Eminger the edge but Valentenko has been very impressive. It may come down to whether the team wants to carry a veteran seventh D-man, most likely Eminger, or give the spot to a younger player, weighing that against whether Valenteko would develop better in the short term playing regularly at Hartford. Sauer also has been steady during preseason and he could fill that seventh spot, considering heís already spent time at Hartford seasoning. I wouldnít call McDonagh a lock but he continues to show he belongs.

As for the forwards, Erik Christensen certainly put himself back into the mix to center the top line last night and Brian Boyle again showed he can be effective by throwing his weight around. If he can also play wing effectively, that will just make his versatility more attractive. Actually, none of the forwards remaining on the roster have done anything so far in preseason to lose a roster spot (other than Druryís injury). If Fedotenko doesnít make the team as a tryout, heíll likely get a call from another NHL team, meaning, either way, heís accomplished what he set out to do when he accepted the Rangers offer. The coaching staff will likely continue to give Stepan a long look to see if he belongs or not - he was just OK last night at Detroit as Christensen worked better with Gaborik and Frolov. At this point, any suggestion that Avery might/should be the odd man out has been refuted.http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

Redfish
09-27-2010, 12:42 PM
I am pleased with this development. I've been advocating for Valentenko and Semenov as 6th and 7th defenseman (after McDonagh), yet Gilroy has looked at least good enough, if not stronger than he ended last season. The mix of Gilroy and Valentenko also give Tortorella a more diverse mix of skills to work with, than if Semenov/Valentenko had both been retained. So I understand that and the organization has invested a lot in Gilroy to be quick to walk away from that investment.

BKLYNNYRNYKNYY
09-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Mike Sauer could still have a chance also. Fans rarely speak about him.

I dont think much of him, hes not rangers material send him to NYI

BKLYNNYRNYKNYY
09-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Semenov, Exelby, Zuccarello among the cuts

There will be no contract drama this time around for Alexei Semenov, who last season made the Rangers off a tryout then declined their contract off to play in Russia. The veteran defenseman was among 11 players trimmed from the Rangers roster today, leaving the team four above the regular-season maximum of 23.

Fellow veteran defenseman Garnet Exelby was also released from his tryout and Wade Redden was officially assigned to Hartford (AHL) after clearing waivers. Nine defensemen (likely for seven spots) and 16 forwards (for as many as 14 spots), including tryout Ruslan Fedotenko and injured captain Chris Drury, who could start the season on injured reserve though he is expected to resume skating this week, remain on the Rangersí roster. Goalie Chad Johnson was also assigned to Hartford meaning Henrik Lundqvist and Marty Biron will split the rest of the preseason.

Mildly surprised Mats Zuccarello didnít get a longer look over the final three preseason games. I thought he was looking stronger as the preseason progressed. But this move makes sense for him to fully acclimate his game to the North American rinks. I have little doubt heíll wind up contributing to the Rangers this season.

Of the players sent to Hartford, forwards Dane Byers, Kris Newbury and Jeremy Williams all must pass through waivers.

To Hartford:
G: Chad Johnson
D: Wade Redden
F: Dane Byers, Evgeny Grachev, Kris Newbury, Dale Weise, Jeremy Williams, Mats Zuccarello

Released from tryouts:
D: Garnet Exelby, Brandon Manning, Alexei Semenov

Still on Rangersí roster:
G: Martin Biron, Henrik Lundqvist
D: Michael Del Zotto, Steve Eminger, Matt Gilroy, Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh, Michal Rozsival, Michael Sauer, Marc Staal, Pavel Valentenko
F: Artem Anisimov, Sean Avery, Derek Boogaard, Brian Boyle, Ryan Callahan, Erik Christensen, Chris Drury, Brandon Dubinsky, Ruslan Fedotenko, Alex Frolov, Marian Gaborik, Tim Kennedy, Vinny Prospal, Brandon Prust, Derek Stepan, Todd White

Among the defensemen, I think itís safe to assume Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto and Rozsival have spots on the team, leaving Gilroy, McDonagh, Sauer, Eminger and Valenteko battling for three spots if John Tortorella decides to carry seven. At this point, Iíd give Gilroy, McDonagh and Eminger the edge but Valentenko has been very impressive. It may come down to whether the team wants to carry a veteran seventh D-man, most likely Eminger, or give the spot to a younger player, weighing that against whether Valenteko would develop better in the short term playing regularly at Hartford. Sauer also has been steady during preseason and he could fill that seventh spot, considering heís already spent time at Hartford seasoning. I wouldnít call McDonagh a lock but he continues to show he belongs.

As for the forwards, Erik Christensen certainly put himself back into the mix to center the top line last night and Brian Boyle again showed he can be effective by throwing his weight around. If he can also play wing effectively, that will just make his versatility more attractive. Actually, none of the forwards remaining on the roster have done anything so far in preseason to lose a roster spot (other than Druryís injury). If Fedotenko doesnít make the team as a tryout, heíll likely get a call from another NHL team, meaning, either way, heís accomplished what he set out to do when he accepted the Rangers offer. The coaching staff will likely continue to give Stepan a long look to see if he belongs or not - he was just OK last night at Detroit as Christensen worked better with Gaborik and Frolov. At this point, any suggestion that Avery might/should be the odd man out has been refuted.

Ok my predictions.

Fowards.

Frolov- Christensen -Gaborik
Prospal- Anisimov -Callahan
Dubinsky- Drury -Prust
Avrey- Boyle -Boogaard

Defense
Staal - Girardi
MDZ - Rozsival
McDonagh - Gilroy

Goalie
Lundqvist
Biron

Healthy Scratch
Fedetinko
Stepan
Eminger

bsi
09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
These developments don't surprise me. IMO Stepan and McDonagh are the two that deserve shots. As well if we're talking about D-men, Gilroy looked good in preseason, and Valentenko is our big guy back there. MZA needs some AHL time, I'm not really convinced he's gonna be any better than Petr Prucha. He looked a little lost at the speed of the game but maybe moreso the lack of ice for him to move around on. Grachev has to toughen up, he's too big to be going by guys throwing a poke check at them when he could be laying them out. He's a boy in a man's body, he'll be a good player someday, but don't expect it to be soon.
Lines as I predict

Frolov Stepan Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Prospal Christensen Avery
Prust Boyle Boogard/White/Kennedy

Staal MDZ
Girardi Valentenko
Rosival McDonagh/Gilroy

SLY WILLIAMS
09-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Grachev and MZA being sent down were not surprising but I didnt hear anyone saying they expected Semenov and Exlby to be cut today. Many people expected one of them to make the team or at least hang around a little longer. :)

commonsense12
09-27-2010, 01:56 PM
i am only surprised at semenov being cut. I really thought he had a good chance to make the team. Exelby didnt play well and after seeing him play i kind of figured he wasnt going to make it.

Still not very high on EC, would much rather see Stephan make the team.

Redfish
09-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Grachev and MZA being sent down were not surprising but I didnt hear anyone saying they expected Semenov and Exlby to be cut today. Many people expected one of them to make the team or at least hang around a little longer. :)

I am very surprised Semenov was released. I thought the #7 d-man role was one he would have been thrilled to play. Compared to guys like Gilroy and Valentenko, I also thought it was a player who the organization felt more comfortable with as a 7th defenseman; i.e., veteran who fits the role as opposed to young players still needing minutes to develop. So, yes, I am quite surprised.

I very much would like to see Valentenko on the team. Assuming he is capable in all other aspects of the position, we simply need his physicality. We cannot have a defensive group in which MDZ is our most physical defenseman, and last year he was.

Rangers in 7
09-27-2010, 02:38 PM
mike sauer is not a very good player...personally i do not see him as a good defensemen

ny_rangers25
09-27-2010, 02:45 PM
I am not surprised that Semenov was released. Sadly, last year was really his only shot to make the team. Our defense was not good last year and it's obvious we want youth this year. I actually like Sauer, but his injury last year all but ruined his chance to make the team. Maybe he will get a shot next year if Gilroy doesn't wow the staff this year.

I am not surprised to see MZA go down, but I wish he would have been able to stay around a little longer and get more experience. Fedotenko has been interesting too. I am not really a fan of his, but Tortz obviously likes him from their days in Tampa. Maybe hoping for some chemistry with Prospal?

Bleeds MSG
09-27-2010, 04:42 PM
I was really looking forward to seeing Valentenko this pre-season and I have not been disappointed. I feel like he has a little edge to his game which I like and would rather see him as the 6th/7th than Gilroy or Eminger (who I really dont care for). McD has been solid but he looked a little bit slow to me last night, donno how everyone else feels about that.

Also disappointing that Grachev hasnt toughened up. I think this kid is gonna be a great player and it pains me that we have old guys like Prospal and White that will get roster spots over him, even if it makes our team better in the very short term. I know he might not be ready yet but I feel like letting him take the physical lumps at the NHL level is what he would need, not to continue to coast through the AHL or jrs or whatever where he was, where he's one of the biggest guys out there. The AHL might sharpen his 2-way skills or refine his game but I doubt its gonna toughen him up. He has the skill and I'd love to see him get a shot at some point this year with the big club.

bsi
09-27-2010, 06:21 PM

Ya, I kinda thought Exelby would have had a better camp, but it's not surprising considering the way he measured up against McDonagh and Valentenko. I think he was more of an insurance policy than anything as Torts and Sather try and get as many youngsters in as possible.

Redfish
09-27-2010, 06:43 PM
For my own edification, can someone, or a few of you, share with me your take on whether players and coaches are averse to having two defenseman paired together if they happen to shoot the same way (i.e., two lefties, or two righties, as partners)?

I've seen comments on other sites suggesting McDonagh and Valentenko would not be the #5 and #6 defense partners because they are both lefties, and I wasn't sure what to make of this notion. It seems a stretch but I suppose some players could have an adjustment with it?

letsgorangers27
09-27-2010, 06:48 PM
liked how semenov played i'm kinda upset that he got cut. feel bad for him he makes the team last year his wife says no comes back this year and gets cut. valentenko looks good though same w/ sauer and mcd. so i wont be upset if they make it. i wish eminger was healthy so we could actually see him play. mza and grachev earned the bus ride since they werent playing so well at camp. mza needs to adjust to the smaller surface and grachev still needs to adjust to the faster pace of pro vs major junior they'll pop up during the season for sure

SLY WILLIAMS
09-27-2010, 06:49 PM
For my own edification, can someone, or a few of you, share with me your take on whether players and coaches are averse to having two defenseman paired together if they happen to shoot the same way (i.e., two lefties, or two righties, as partners)?

I've seen comments on other sites suggesting McDonagh and Valentenko would not be the #5 and #6 defense partners because they are both lefties, and I wasn't sure what to make of this notion. It seems a stretch but I suppose some players could have an adjustment with it?

Some dmen can play both sides but it is too awkward for some dmen. It is easier for a fwd to play the off wing than a dman to play the other side. Its not easy to clear the zone when you are on your backhand along the boards. Also a bit trickier to hold the puck in the offensive zone on your backhand although sometimes Dmen will switch sides on the PP to give them a better chance to shoot from their forehands.

mmmrevolver93
09-27-2010, 06:57 PM

Yea some dmen can play both sides as Sly said, but i wouldnt do it bc they are both so young, and plus IMO gilroy has shown enough to make this team. so i think its between valentenko, and Mcdonagh to earn the 6th spot. emminger gets the 7th spot only bc i wouldnt rather a young kid get the experience in hartford rather than be the 7th dman. I really dont know tho about valentenko and mcdonagh, obviously coming into camp mcdonagh was more highly touted than vally, but they have both played a very physical, responsible game. I like valentenko's shot too, he ripped that cannon off the post last night which caught my eye.

Redfish
09-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the clarification; very helpful.

I suppose that gives Gilroy an edge over both McDonagh and Valentenko, the latter which I've been hoping makes the club and gets playing time. I just think we have a problem on defense if MDZ is our most physical d-man behind the blue line.

I am ok with Eminger as 7th defenseman, although I'm a bit surprised he "beat" Semenov for that role. It's hard to say he actually did, as the reviews on his only pre-season game performance were mediocre/poor; and Semenov played good enough for that role, in my view.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I think the early releases to the guys on tryouts (Seminov/Exelby) were to do them a favor in case they can catch on with another team. They did not have contracts. Emminger has an existing contract. Fedetenko is the only guy on a tryout remaining. :)

mlisica19
09-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Zuccarello looked good, smart and alot of promise but i have to agree. It didnt work.

I still think Mats will find his way into the roster before half way through the season but things happen for a reason and hell will do something good for this club.

Isca92
09-28-2010, 01:40 AM
I agree with Sly, that they were probably released earlier because they don't have contracts, giving them a chance to jump on another team. I thought Semenov looked real solid this year, however Gilroy, Mcdonagh, and Valentenko came ready to make the team as well. I personally don't think that Eminger doesn't should be the odd man out but could take the 7th spot for as stated before that it could be better for a player to be sent to the minors or then play minimal games because of being the 7th D.

The forwards have been interesting. IMO it looked as Grachev and MZA (disappointing) looked as they tried to not to get cut from the team, instead of trying to make the team. They seemed to try to make the safe play to which never made them stand out. I thought they showed decent skills but not ready to step up. I hope we see Stepan on the first line come start of the regular season. Its going to be interesting to see who makes the team IMO many of the guys have made strong cases to be on the team this year.

I like the way that Gilroy has responded from last years demotion, I thought he didn't expect that kind of rebound from him. I think Boyle has made a strong case for 4th line center. I like the way AA has played so far and could be coming into his form. Dubi has played solid. I think Avery has made a strong case to keep his spot, but has Torts had enough of him already. I think Fedotenko and Kennedy look good but where do they fit in?

dashripdot
09-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Rangers currently have numbers at the LW and center spots (including a few who play both forward positions). Interested to see how they fill out the RW position on the bottom two lines, especially now that Grachev and MZA were sent down. Presumably, Prust and ... do Drury or Stepan (the remaining righthanded shots) move to RW? Can Fedotenko switch and play RW effectively if he makes the team?

dashripdot
09-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Can't be precise on how this will shake out, but if the Rangers carry 23 players and, assuming the following is pretty close to the roster they open with (I know Drury will miss about a week of the season and Prospal's not healthy at the moment, but bear with me):

Frolov--Stepan--Gaborik
Dubinsky--Anisimov--Callahan
Avery--Christensen--Drury
Boogaard--Boyle--Prust
(Prospal and Kennedy healthy scratches)

Staal--Girardi
MDZ--Rozsival
McDonagh--Gilroy
(Valentenko healthy scratch -- I know the young guys aren't desireable 7th defensemen because they should be playing somewhere every game to aid in their development, but I'm thinking they might go with almost all youth and rotate them in and out from game to game to bring them along)

This line-up, according to capgeek, puts the Rangers $4.58 mil under the cap.

Redfish
09-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Can't be precise on how this will shake out, but if the Rangers carry 23 players and, assuming the following is pretty close to the roster they open with (I know Drury will miss about a week of the season and Prospal's not healthy at the moment, but bear with me):

Frolov--Stepan--Gaborik
Boogaard--Boyle--Prust

Staal--Girardi
MDZ--Rozsival
McDonagh--Gilroy
(Valentenko healthy scratch -- I know the young guys aren't desireable 7th defensemen because they should be playing somewhere every game to aid in their development, but I'm thinking they might go with almost all youth and rotate them in and out from game to game to bring them along)

My personal take on things looks like:

Frolov - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Prospal - Drury - Fedotenko
Avery - Boyle - Prust

Boogard or Kennedy as extra skater and one health scratch.

I don't believe Christenson secures a spot with the team, and has been marginalized by the emergence of both Stepan and Kennedy. If and when Stepan falters at #1 center, Prospal can be moved to #1 center and Stepan can drop to 3rd line, centering Drury and Fedotenko. It's important that our 3rd line be comprised of at least two players that can produce a solid 15-20 goals, and that can be accomplished with Prospal - Drury - Fedotenko, whereas Avery and Christenson likely cannot.

Avery - Boyle - Prust looks, to me, like a 4th line comprised of players whose roles are well-suited for 4th line duty. There will be plenty of opportunity for Tortorella to insert Kennedy more into the mix, or Avery with 3rd line minutes on occasion.

However, I truly believe maximizing the goal scoring potential of the 3rd line has a direct impact on the performance of our top two lines; hence, I cannot see Avery and Christenson playing their on a consistent basis.

Bleeds MSG
09-28-2010, 10:55 AM

Frolov--Stepan--Gaborik
Boogaard--Boyle--Prust

Staal--Girardi
MDZ--Rozsival
McDonagh--Gilroy

Those are the exact lines I would like to see going in with possibly Prospal centering the 3rd line instead of EC. I think Avery has looked very good this off-season and I absolutely think he has earned that 3rd line wing spot. I will say it again I think he is an underrated hockey player - BS aside - and when he is on our team is much harder to play against. I would cut Fedetenko because I am tired of putting borderline washed up vet players in roster spots when we have promising youth that needs to develop and see time at the NHL level. Enough with the short term moves - we need to put our money where our mouths have been with going with the young guys.

messleetch94
09-28-2010, 11:00 AM

IMO, you would want to have a leftie and rightie at the points. This way they both can shoot off the pass. You can have both shoot the same, but then you would have to cycle and cross at the point to shoot off the pass. As far as Valentenko and McD, they wouldn't be paired together for the simple fact that they are too young.

messleetch94
09-28-2010, 11:16 AM
disappointed Semenov was released. I don't think they will carry 7 dmen to start the season. Hartford is a stones throw away. Only wen they make their west coast trip will they carry 7. Although Drury is hurt, it opens a little window for Stephan to showcase himself. We will start the season with 22 players, meaning two healthy scrathes at the fwrd pos. Avery and Kennedy. I don't have faith in white coming off shoulder surgery. MZA needs to develop to the NA game. The good thing also is we saved our selves from a big cap hit. 1.75 I believe.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-28-2010, 11:31 AM
IMO, you would want to have a leftie and rightie at the points. This way they both can shoot off the pass. You can have both shoot the same, but then you would have to cycle and cross at the point to shoot off the pass. As far as Valentenko and McD, they wouldn't be paired together for the simple fact that they are too young.

I think you have a legit point but on the PP often dmen will switch sides to give them a better angle to shoot from their forehands. The problem is much more on defense where dmen have to be very strong with the puck on the boards. If they are on their backhands most of the time while fighting on the boards or trying to clear the puck they are at a big time disadvantage.

Redfish
09-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Eminger is not part of the solution going forward, in my view. There is a reason, or two, he has been on four teams in just the past two seasons.

I hope Gilroy, Valentenko and McDonagh are told the #5 through 7 defensive slots are theirs, and they will all be rotating, unless two emerge as defenseman which cannot be held out of the lineup.

Again, I'd be disappointed if we start the season with Del Zotto as our most physical defenseman behind the blue line. There needs to be a price paid within a few feet of Hank's crease, or for some forward cruising into our zone. We are still too soft on the blue line.

messleetch94
09-28-2010, 02:57 PM
I think you have a legit point but on the PP often dmen will switch sides to give them a better angle to shoot from their forehands. The problem is much more on defense where dmen have to be very strong with the puck on the boards. If they are on their backhands most of the time while fighting on the boards or trying to clear the puck they are at a big time disadvantage.

Good point Sly. I didn't even realize that I was posting as far as the offensive zone goes. True as far the defensive zone goes.