PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Nets possibly trading for Carmelo in different deal within 48 hours

NewYorkJets21
09-27-2010, 12:11 AM
"Ken Berger is one busy reporter. After writing earlier Sunday about possible revisions in the Carmelo Anthony deal, Berger adds to the literature of the 'Melo Drama with some background on last week's events...including two high-level meetings in New York, one involving 'Melo pal and Net investor Jay-Z.

Berger notes that while Masai Ujiri couldn't get a meeting with Anthony, he and Josh Kroenke spent time in New York last week meeting with Billy King. Moreover, he reports Jay-Z (aka Shawn Carter) met with World Wide Wes (aka William Wesley), an Anthony advisor, also in New York.

"In the past 72 hours, CBSSports.com has learned. Wesley, long an unofficial master of NBA maneuverings who is now a full-fledged CAA agent, sat down last week in New York with Nets minority owner Jay-Z in an effort to pave the way for Anthonyís arrival, a person with direct knowledge of the meeting said."

Bottom line: Berger quotes a person involved in negotiations as saying a deal is likely to go down in the next 24-48 hours. Moreover, says Berger, Wesley is threatening to embarrass Nuggets ownership by holding Anthony out of the team's Media Day Monday. "If Melo doesnít show," said one person connected to the trade negotiations, "itís disaster mode for them."

http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/9/26/1714055/berger-jay-z-met-with-world-wide-wes-in-recruiting-effort

Fireworld
09-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Hmmm, Interesting.

NewYorkJets21
09-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Jay Z doin work

Slimsim
09-27-2010, 12:20 AM
I blame all of nuggets problems on Al Harrington

ShaqShoes
09-27-2010, 12:21 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

Forbo
09-27-2010, 12:22 AM
I blame all of nuggets problems on Al Harrington

Why dont you Knick fans like Harrigton? The guy was a good player on NY, he averaged like 20 a game and without him Knicks would have done worse.

theLgndKllr35
09-27-2010, 12:28 AM
Really praying this is the deal involving the Sixers and Iguodala.

VinceCarter
09-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Really praying this is the deal involving the Sixers and Iguodala.

The one where the Nets send you Favors haha that would make the Sixers future SCARY.

The L Train
09-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Why dont you Knick fans like Harrigton? The guy was a good player on NY, he averaged like 20 a game and without him Knicks would have done worse.

I love Al Harrington. He was great for NY, and I always thought he looked like a ninja turtle which was cool.

WolvesJagsOs
09-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Interesting. But like a guy said earlier, ill believe it when i see it.

The L Train
09-27-2010, 12:38 AM
"Ken Berger is one busy reporter. After writing earlier Sunday about possible revisions in the Carmelo Anthony deal, Berger adds to the literature of the 'Melo Drama with some background on last week's events...including two high-level meetings in New York, one involving 'Melo pal and Net investor Jay-Z.

Berger notes that while Masai Ujiri couldn't get a meeting with Anthony, he and Josh Kroenke spent time in New York last week meeting with Billy King. Moreover, he reports Jay-Z (aka Shawn Carter) met with World Wide Wes (aka William Wesley), an Anthony advisor, also in New York.

"In the past 72 hours, CBSSports.com has learned. Wesley, long an unofficial master of NBA maneuverings who is now a full-fledged CAA agent, sat down last week in New York with Nets minority owner Jay-Z in an effort to pave the way for Anthonyís arrival, a person with direct knowledge of the meeting said."

Bottom line: Berger quotes a person involved in negotiations as saying a deal is likely to go down in the next 24-48 hours. Moreover, says Berger, Wesley is threatening to embarrass Nuggets ownership by holding Anthony out of the team's Media Day Monday. "If Melo doesnít show," said one person connected to the trade negotiations, "itís disaster mode for them."

http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/9/26/1714055/berger-jay-z-met-with-world-wide-wes-in-recruiting-effort

You know what's the most ridiculous about this? Most people think Jay Z owns the Nets, or is a part owner. It's not even close to that.

Jay Z donated 1 million dollars to the Nets moving to Brooklyn. That's it. One million. He has nothing to do with the operations of the team, he has zero say in who they sign or trade, etc... He just loves Brooklyn and he donated a million dollars so they could have a sports team.

Get it straight tho people, talking to Jay Z means NOTHING when it comes to basketball, he has NOTHING to do with who the Nets sign or trade for.

arkanian215
09-27-2010, 12:42 AM
You know what's the most ridiculous about this? Most people think Jay Z owns the Nets, or is a part owner. It's not even close to that.

Jay Z donated 1 million dollars to the Nets moving to Brooklyn. That's it. One million. He has nothing to do with the operations of the team, he has zero say in who they sign or trade, etc... He just loves Brooklyn and he donated a million dollars so they could have a sports team.

Get it straight tho people, talking to Jay Z means NOTHING when it comes to basketball, he has NOTHING to do with who the Nets sign or trade for.

I think "minority owner" implies that he's a part owner. The part is small and he doesn't get a say but he's making a pitch for the Nets. Anything to help create a better product.

Hoopsadvocate
09-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Something like a 4 team trade with NJ, Philly, Utah, and Denver:

NJ gets melo

Philly gets Favors and AK47

Nuggets get Iggy and nets 1st rounder and phillys 2nd round pick

Utah gets the cap relief they originally wanted + Kapono (or any other wing they want aside from holiday and turner i figure they could use the shooter though)

Every team gets what they want and melo has a better team around him with cap to still build in the future.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-27-2010, 12:54 AM

lol

Ryan328
09-27-2010, 12:56 AM

NJ gets melo

Utah gets the cap relief they originally wanted + Kapono (or any other wing they want aside from holiday and turner i figure they could use the shooter though)

Every team gets what they want and melo has a better team around him with cap to still build in the future.

Philly would have a nice core of young players if that deal went down. Turner, Holiday, Favors, Young, Hawes.

NYKnicks4511
09-27-2010, 12:57 AM
Don't these idiot writers learn? Why do you think nobody came to New Jersey in the past summer? Because it's freaking Jersey man. I LIVE in Jersey and can testify that Jersey isn't a place where one wants to go especially if they are a basketball superstar.

If Melo has a 'choice' between NY and NJ, why would he settle for the garbage dump of the United States? Nets would be stupid to make the trade without Melo agreeing to an extension (which won't happen).

BenFrank
09-27-2010, 12:58 AM
I thought Melo didn't want to sign a extension with the Nets.. 2morrow there will be a different story.. and probably a different team will be in the running for melo.. startin to think people.. are just starting to put out B.S. especially on the internet.. so people will come to there site.. so they can feed off the revenue

Robbw241
09-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Don't these idiot writers learn? Why do you think nobody came to New Jersey in the past summer? Because it's freaking Jersey man. I LIVE in Jersey and can testify that Jersey isn't a place where one wants to go especially if they are a basketball superstar.

If Melo has a 'choice' between NY and NJ, why would he settle for the garbage dump of the United States? Nets would be stupid to make the trade without Melo agreeing to an extension (which won't happen).

You must be living in the poor of Jersey then cause there are a lot of nice places there.

ShaqShoes
09-27-2010, 01:00 AM
This is becoming awfully familiar..

Kashmir13579

:facepalm:(googolplex)

More-Than-Most
Favors to philly :pray::pray:

I don't ask for much. Just give the sixers favors... Take Iggy.

Kashmir13579
09-27-2010, 01:01 AM
jay-z is going hard right now. i think he's a traitor. **** your minority share jigga.

ShaqShoes
09-27-2010, 01:02 AM
jay-z is going hard right now. i think he's a traitor. **** your minority share jigga.

This Jay-Z business is startin to make the quote in my sig look bad..

Slimsim
09-27-2010, 01:05 AM

He is a black hole. He would fake a pass to a open teammate and take the shot with 2 defenders on him. He hangs on the rim and get technical fouls causing his team to lose. He also ruin the development of our younger players.

Robbw241
09-27-2010, 01:05 AM
I ****ing love Al Harrington. NBA 2k10 I would drop 50+ a game with him.

NJBASEBALL22
09-27-2010, 01:06 AM
You must be living in the poor of Jersey then cause there are a lot of nice places there.

True story. I live in Monmouth County, NJ right on the ocean and have spent a decent amount of time in Northern Jersey. It is far from the "garbage dump of the United States" or whatever that dude called it. Where I live is pretty legit, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. But it also has the highest income taxes in the nation, so you to take the good with the bad.

VinceCarter
09-27-2010, 01:06 AM

Stick to your own team and don't embarrass yourself.

ILoveL.A2416
09-27-2010, 01:07 AM
Just like someone mentioned earlier...This situation reeks of something similar that happened in the summer...In the end, that individual's whole rep went down the toilet...

bryan71023
09-27-2010, 01:09 AM
I think I would vommit to see Favors wearing a Philly Jersey -_-

Afridi786
09-27-2010, 01:10 AM
I'm thinking the Nets end up giving a little too much....it's a staring contest, and the Nets will blink first. Denver has nothing to lose, worst case scenario is that they end up with a massive TPE.

ShaqShoes
09-27-2010, 01:11 AM

I agree.

ryder78c
09-27-2010, 01:12 AM
He is a black hole. He would fake a pass to a open teammate and take the shot with 2 defenders on him. He hangs on the rim and get technical fouls causing his team to lose. He also ruin the development of our younger players.

harrington and lee made that team last year

Jayz owns 1.50% of the nets thats not very much say in anything i doubt he can piss in a toilet in the nets owners office and make a sound!

Carmelo to the nets just get the **** done!

as long as there lineup looks like this i think they are gonna do good

Lopez
Murphy
Melo/Outlaw
Twill/James
Harris/Farmar

nystandup
09-27-2010, 01:14 AM
It looks like Melo would accept a trade to the Nets after all and it really was Denver that stalled in the 4 team trade, if reports are correct

bryan71023
09-27-2010, 01:15 AM
I'm thinking the Nets end up giving a little too much....it's a staring contest, and the Nets will blink first. Denver has nothing to lose, worst case scenario is that they end up with a massive TPE.

The only way I can see the Nets keeping Harris and getting Carmelo in a trade would be trading both T-Will and D-Force which would really suck. Other than that, Harris and Favors are the only reason why the Nets have the best deal to offer

More-Than-Most
09-27-2010, 01:16 AM
I think I would vommit to see Favors wearing a Philly Jersey -_-

Oh come on... It would get you guys Melo. Have to give something to receive something.

bryan71023
09-27-2010, 01:18 AM
harrington and lee made that team last year

Jayz owns 1.50% of the nets thats not very much say in anything i doubt he can piss in a toilet in the nets owners office and make a sound!

Carmelo to the nets just get the SHlT done!

as long as there lineup looks like this i think they are gonna do good

Lopez
Murphy
Melo/Outlaw
Twill/James
Harris/Farmar

Denver would want Harris in the trade which sucks big time for the Nets. I think the Nets offer Favors, James, Humphries, and two 1st round picks and Denver rejected it

arkanian215
09-27-2010, 01:19 AM

Nothing to lose? TPE or draft pick+prospect?

Young24
09-27-2010, 01:21 AM
I don't know if it works out financially but how about this

Nuggets - turner, hawes, holiday, ak47
Nets - carmelo, carter
Sixers - jr smith, favors, harris
Jazz - balkman (cap relief)

Young24
09-27-2010, 01:22 AM
It looks like Melo would accept a trade to the Nets after all and it really was Denver that stalled in the 4 team trade, if reports are correct

What reports?

bholly
09-27-2010, 01:24 AM
^^no way the sixers do that. not even close.

PC
09-27-2010, 01:25 AM

Textbook example of how stats can be misleading. I'm going to take a guess and say you never actually watched him on the Knicks?

As for the Melo news, it's really impossible to follow up on all the different rumors that keep popping up. Frankly it's getting annoying. I don't care where he lands now as long as this thing gets resolved one way or another... I'd hate to have this distracting players during training camp so the sooner something gets done the better...

More-Than-Most
I don't know if it works out financially but how about this

Nuggets - turner, hawes, holiday, ak47
Nets - carmelo, carter
Sixers - jr smith, favors, harris
Jazz - balkman (cap relief)

O.o From a sixers point hell no. Why would we give up our number 2 pick and the pg we were so happy to get last year with huge potential for harris and the number 3 pick... If we wanted favor over turner we could have just taken him.

nystandup
What reports?

I dont know exactly wherte they are but ive read a bunch of articles suggesting that it has been Denver who stopped the 4 team trade because they were looking elsewhere for a better offer. I guess they'd rather have Andre instead of AK47 and whoever else.

Young24
09-27-2010, 01:33 AM
O.o From a sixers point hell no. Why would we give up our number 2 pick and the pg we were so happy to get last year with huge potential for harris and the number 3 pick... If we wanted favor over turner we could have just taken him.

How about holiday is removed and a bench warmer is inserted?

bryan71023
09-27-2010, 01:35 AM
How about holiday is removed and a bench warmer is inserted?

Dude Philly won't give up Turner

Robbw241
09-27-2010, 01:35 AM
True story. I live in Monmouth County, NJ right on the ocean and have spent a decent amount of time in Northern Jersey. It is far from the "garbage dump of the United States" or whatever that dude called it. Where I live is pretty legit, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. But it also has the highest income taxes in the nation, so you to take the good with the bad.

Word. If NJ had a nicer big time state college I probably would have stayed home because it is such a nice area.

Young24
09-27-2010, 01:51 AM
Dude Philly won't give up Turner

Lol he's my favorite rookie

Knicks21
09-27-2010, 02:11 AM

dude he was worst than jammal crawford. Guy had one of the worst shot selections I've seen in a while.

Afridi786
09-27-2010, 02:43 AM
Nothing to lose? TPE or draft pick+prospect?

Not like Nets can sign him in FA because he'll simply go to the Knicks, so if the Nets want him, they have to go get him now. TPE can net you prospects and picks as well.

Kashmir13579
09-27-2010, 02:59 AM

LOL, thats funny coming from you

Tony_Starks
09-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Horrible move for Melo as far as winning goes but marketing wise it would be pretty major once they get to Brooklyn. Really major. Worth the sacrifice of being mediocre for two years? ehhhhhhh......

jmoney85
09-27-2010, 03:27 AM

he never "donated" a million dollars lol.... he has a 4.5 million dollar share and had more before he sold some of his to proko

get ur facts str8

SouthSideRookie
09-27-2010, 04:08 AM
I'm not sure if the deal with the Sixers involved is the one that Denver will go with, but im convinced that Carmelo Anthony will be a Net.

Antipod
09-27-2010, 04:50 AM
it`s been 48h till the deal is done for like 4-5 days now...

DMasta718
09-27-2010, 05:03 AM

Come on. Jersey is not even that bad. Unless you went to Camden or Newark or something.

And Al is not bad. I actually like him but dude puts up stupid shots at times. Don't forget his spin of death when he would spin out of control every time he did that move going to the basket.

CavsYanksDuke
09-27-2010, 06:00 AM
NJ's pretty bad.

Alabama has the privilege of existing next to Mississippi. NJ has to exist next to the Mecca. Doesn't matter how you spin it, when you look across the water, you wish you were in NYC when you're in NJ.

oak2455
09-27-2010, 06:54 AM
I think "minority owner" implies that he's a part owner. The part is small and he doesn't get a say but he's making a pitch for the Nets. Anything to help create a better product.

1-1.5% thats what JayZ owns....which is a lot ?

DenButsu
09-27-2010, 06:55 AM
NJ's pretty bad.

Alabama has the privilege of existing next to Mississippi. NJ has to exist next to the Mecca. Doesn't matter how you spin it, when you look across the water, you wish you were in NYC when you're in NJ.

Lala probably doesn't feel that way about looking across when she's in her hometown of Brooklyn.

And let's face it. She in large part is the one calling the shots here.

DenButsu
09-27-2010, 07:20 AM

"In the past 72 hours, CBSSports.com has learned. Wesley, long an unofficial master of NBA maneuverings who is now a full-fledged CAA agent, sat down last week in New York with Nets minority owner Jay-Z in an effort to pave the way for Anthony’s arrival, a person with direct knowledge of the meeting said."

Bottom line: Berger quotes a person involved in negotiations as saying a deal is likely to go down in the next 24-48 hours. Moreover, says Berger, Wesley is threatening to embarrass Nuggets ownership by holding Anthony out of the team's Media Day Monday. "If Melo doesn’t show," said one person connected to the trade negotiations, "it’s disaster mode for them."

1. I'm sure the Nuggets are just shaking in their boots that douchebag "World Wide" :rolleyes: Wesley might (OH NOES!) try to embarrass them. There's only one person or organization whose image will take a huge hit if Melo (in the event he's still a Nugget at the time) doesn't show up on media day with a positive attitude, and that's Carmelo Anthony and the Melo/Lala Industrial Complex. By keeping a low profile and not pulling any "The Decision" style douchebaggery, he has done a fairly effective job of keeping his now-mostly-positive (yet still fragile due to his DUI/brawl/bronze past) reputation. NBA fans are still pissed at LeBron, and I'm sure they'll welcome one more object of hatred they can let out their frustrations on if Melo wants to make himself a target for that. I doubt it; I think he'll walk the line. But if not, the only loser will be himself.

2. All of that said, I don't put much faith in the exactitude of the 24-48 hour timeline (too many moving parts and players involved here for anybody to really know). But from what I've seen out of the Nuggets front office before, and from what they've indicated they want (young prospect, picks, cap relief), I think the Iggy stuff and the waiting game stuff is just a smoke screen to get a little more leverage with New Jersey, who will still be the front runner and, likely, Melo's destination. For example, if the deal includes Harris and therefore NJ tries to pry Lawson away from Denver, and if Philly is prepared to take on Melo as a one-year rental, the Nuggets will be in a bargaining position to say, "We can't do Lawson, so if you insist on that, we can always just get Iguodala instead, and you can watch Melo walk to NYK next summer." But Favors/(good) picks/relief is about the best Denver will get, and I think at the end of the day they'll take it.

NYKnicks4511
09-27-2010, 07:21 AM

I live in Bergen County which is one of the highest income counties in the country. Your point is invalid.

IHeartNY
09-27-2010, 07:55 AM
I love Al Harrington. He was great for NY, and I always thought he looked like a ninja turtle which was cool.

:p I second that ... plus Al Harrington brought in "Porteges" (?).

Russollini
09-27-2010, 09:47 AM
I really hope they fix all of this in the CBA. I am tired of players being able to force trades like this. Paul, Anthony, Francis, and the list goes on. In Anthony's case it is not even about winning. If he goes to NJ, they still miss the playoffs. He has a better team around him right now. The extension is the same he will sign anywhere. He is an idiot. He forced the Nuggets hand, not he has to leave and it is going to be ugly no matter where he goes. This is a lose-lose. He needs to stop listening to advisors play out the season and then move on.

save the knicks
09-27-2010, 09:54 AM
I really hope they fix all of this in the CBA. I am tired of players being able to force trades like this. Paul, Anthony, Francis, and the list goes on. In Anthony's case it is not even about winning. If he goes to NJ, they still miss the playoffs. He has a better team around him right now. The extension is the same he will sign anywhere. He is an idiot. He forced the Nuggets hand, not he has to leave and it is going to be ugly no matter where he goes. This is a lose-lose. He needs to stop listening to advisors play out the season and then move on.

Thats exactly why he wont do it. Give the guy a little credit he isn't going to make a lateral move just for ***** and giggles.

king4day
09-27-2010, 09:56 AM

If he is forcing their hand, then ultimately, he's doing them a favor.
Can you imagine he said all the right things down to free agency and then bolted like James did? Denver would then be left with a trade exception and no additional talent.
They're going to end up getting what they want in any deal that's made.

jrm2054
09-27-2010, 10:06 AM

please do your research he is a minority owner and your statement is wrong. He has no say but he does own like 1 or 2 percent of the team and has for years now.

uprightciti
09-27-2010, 10:31 AM
i like that someone said al harrington looked like a ninja turtle!! lol
that dude is such a ******
i remember he claimed to have 8 nicknames
what idiot has 8 self proclaimed nicknames

aussie
09-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Is this report gonna happen to every team in the league

CrotchetyOldMan
09-27-2010, 11:03 AM
the most ridiculous part of this whole fiasco is Melo's thought process...He says he wants to be traded because he wants to play for a contender...but if he accepts this trade to the Nets, he's actually leaving a contender to go play for a team that even with him after the trade would be lucky to make the playoffs...which leads me to believe that Melo has been castrated by his wife and will do anything just to play in a city she wants to live regardless of the team...He'd be better off with the Clippers than the Nets in terms of a team that could contend...but other than the Bulls there is no team involved in these talks that would end up being better than the nuggets...So no matter what happens Melo is putting himself much farther from the championship...

jmoney85
09-27-2010, 11:05 AM
knicks fans are such haters

its quite comical

jmoney85
09-27-2010, 11:07 AM
the most ridiculous part of this whole fiasco is Melo's thought process...He says he wants to be traded because he wants to play for a contender...but if he accepts this trade to the Nets, he's actually leaving a contender to go play for a team that even with him after the trade would be lucky to make the playoffs...which leads me to believe that Melo has been castrated by his wife and will do anything just to play in a city she wants to live regardless of the team...He'd be better off with the Clippers than the Nets in terms of a team that could contend...but other than the Bulls there is no team involved in these talks that would end up being better than the nuggets...So no matter what happens Melo is putting himself much farther from the championship...

ur right dude he should so go to the clippers... i mean its not like the nets havent been to the finals in the last 10 years or anything... i mean the nets have only been bad for about 3 years so you know they will never be good again

caddiemaster
09-27-2010, 11:17 AM
No,He's going to the warriors!

Stunner
09-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Fwiw.

Quote:
breaking news: Incarcerated bob is saying that the knicks turned down curry, gallo, randolph, douglas for melo.

This is from knicks board on another forum - and incarcerated bob is one of their reliable insiders. He has been reporting various stories correctly before they hit the news.

lvlheaded
09-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Melo is reporting to Media Day so I guess William Wesley doesnt have as much clout as he thought...

tp13baby
09-27-2010, 11:23 AM

NJ gets melo

im throwing it out there. i dont want iggy. if we trade melo lets start rebuilding and get much younger.

tp13baby
09-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Denver would want Harris in the trade which sucks big time for the Nets. I think the Nets offer Favors, James, Humphries, and two 1st round picks and Denver rejected it

Denver doesnt need harris. he is a good player but we dont need him. Lawson is our future pg. Nuggets will get Favors and a at least two firsts for melo and maybe more.

pistonsfanomg
09-27-2010, 11:27 AM
lol Jay-Z

save the knicks
09-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Fwiw.

Quote:
breaking news: Incarcerated bob is saying that the knicks turned down curry, gallo, randolph, douglas for melo.

This is from knicks board on another forum - and incarcerated bob is one of their unreliable outsiders. He has been reporting various stories incorrectly before they hit the news.

fixed

jiggin
09-27-2010, 11:29 AM
I love how players, who are under contract and being paid very well, just decide they don't like something and don't show up to work.

Anyone else does this and it would be considered completely disrespectful and irresponsible. But if a professional athlete does it, its almost encouraged and applauded.

Society loves its idols.

arkanian215
09-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Not like Nets can sign him in FA because he'll simply go to the Knicks, so if the Nets want him, they have to go get him now. TPE can net you prospects and picks as well.

TPEs dont net you the third overall in this year's draft plus two future first rounders.

arkanian215
09-27-2010, 11:43 AM
1-1.5% thats what JayZ owns....which is a lot ?

Never said it was a lot. In fact I said it was small. But again, "minority owner" implies that he's a part owner.

pistonsfanomg
09-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Tired of this

oak2455
09-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Never said it was a lot. In fact I said it was small. But again, "minority owner" implies that he's a part owner.

yeah but everyone makes it like hes a big owner of the Nets, not even close.........hes a Lil Owner:)

arkanian215
09-27-2010, 12:02 PM
yeah but everyone makes it like hes a big owner of the Nets, not even close.........hes a Lil Owner:)

All that matters is that he's doing something to help recruit. He might be a little minion with little power (compared to AK wielding, yacht losing, jet skiing Proky) but anything that helps is appreciated. Being a cultural icon helps.

jrm2054
09-27-2010, 12:03 PM

yea your right but he brings a lot of attention to the francise so he is probaly the most important 0-5% owner in sports

oak2455
09-27-2010, 12:05 PM
All that matters is that he's doing something to help recruit. He might be a little minion with little power (compared to AK wielding, yacht losing, jet skiing Proky) but anything that helps is appreciated. Being a cultural icon helps.

I'm not being a dick but how has it help? They have gotten who?

ShaqShoes
09-27-2010, 12:08 PM
EXACTLY. Jay Z doesn't mean ****.

arkanian215
09-27-2010, 12:09 PM

You really think it doesn't help?

omdigga
09-27-2010, 12:09 PM
jay-z is pretty much a really cool mascot for the nets..

i dont think he has any say in basketball decisions.. but he can get meetings with players that other people cant get... so their is some value.. even if he cant make a deal.. at least he can get people to listen.. thats the 1st step..

ShaqShoes
09-27-2010, 12:11 PM
How has it helped who have they gotten? Outlaw? Morrow? Come on man. People go where they want they aren't going to let some rapper decide for them.

arkanian215
09-27-2010, 12:15 PM
How has it helped who have they gotten? Outlaw? Morrow? Come on man. People go where they want they aren't going to let some rapper decide for them.

No one said Jay-Z tells them to jump and they yell how high. If you don't think a cultural icon vouching for your team doesn't do anything that's you.

ShaqShoes
09-27-2010, 12:17 PM
He's just a rapper.

Robbw241
09-27-2010, 12:18 PM
jay-z is pretty much a really cool mascot for the nets..

i dont think he has any say in basketball decisions.. but he can get meetings with players that other people cant get... so their is some value.. even if he cant make a deal.. at least he can get people to listen.. thats the 1st step..

This right here. He sits down with the players and gives a different perspective on the team. Not like it's gonna completely sway someone's mind but he could plant some ideas as to what the franchise is doing.

oak2455
09-27-2010, 12:20 PM
No one said Jay-Z tells them to jump and they yell how high. If you don't think a cultural icon vouching for your team doesn't do anything that's you.

Ok well do you know how well Isiah Thomas is respected around the league?? supposedly he is a history legend to most inter city kids, I heard a story about this how he is well respected........who knew:confused:

NYKNYGNYY
09-27-2010, 12:28 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

ive been saying this since "the decision"

arkanian215
09-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Ok well do you know how well Isiah Thomas is respected around the league?? supposedly he is a history legend to most inter city kids, I heard a story about this how he is well respected........who knew:confused:

Kashmir13579
09-27-2010, 12:39 PM
LOL, the best part about this thread are the knicks fans that like/defend al harrington. i'm guessing they barely watched any games after we traded crawford like 3 years ago, or they're just numbskulls. no offense.

Khalifa21
09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
:laugh2: at anyone that thinks Jay has an influence on who signs with the Nets...

Travis Outlaw, Anthony Morrow and Johan Petro are pretty good proof of that.

bkmikeyy
09-27-2010, 12:45 PM
LOL, the best part about this thread are the knicks fans that like/defend al harrington. i'm guessing they barely watched any games after we traded crawford like 3 years ago, or they're just numbskulls. no offense.

People don't realize that Harrington is the type of player who single handedly wins you 2 games, but in the process also single handedly loses you 5. I thought he was a solid signing for Denver because they had a lot of offensive talent and would keep him in check coming off the bench.... but if Melo gets traded for young players who aren't ready to take over yet, Nuggets fans will quickly know what we are talking about. Harrington as one of your top scoring options is a complete disaster, the guy has the lowest basketball iq in the NBA.

VinceCarter
09-27-2010, 12:53 PM
yea your right but he brings a lot of attention to the francise so he is probaly the most important 0-5% owner in sports

Exactly. :clap:

bryan71023
09-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Who cares about Jay-Z! I hated when everyone thought that LeBron was coming to the Nets because he was BFF with Jay-Z, that's BS! For that being said, I don't think Jay-Z can convince Carmelo to sign an extension with the Nets. However, the longer the Denver Nuggets take to pull off a trade to send Carmelo somewhere, the sooner the Nuggets trade value for Melo will drop. People in the league are getting impatienct including Carmelo and he want's something to go down already. If Denver keeps stalling for a better trade, then they are just going to lose value and when the time comes and its February on the last day of the NBA Trade Deadline, the Nuggets will get desperate and try to trade Melo to atleast get something out of it. The Nets have those 2 1st round picks which looks really good no matter if its the end of September or the middle of February those draft picks look great. So the longer Denver takes, I hope the Nets would be smart about and tell them listen we are no longer trading Harris and Favors because you guys took way too long. Because those picks are very valuable, the Nets can easily send players just to match Melo's contract and get away with it without giving any of their star players. If it's the last minute of the NBA Trade deadline and the Nuggets still have Melo, the Nuggets will get desperate and would have to accept a less value deal that the Nets would throw them to which I see it would be like a Murphy, Humphries, Damion James, and 2 1st round picks for Melo.

Russollini
09-27-2010, 01:13 PM
If he is forcing their hand, then ultimately, he's doing them a favor.
Can you imagine he said all the right things down to free agency and then bolted like James did? Denver would then be left with a trade exception and no additional talent.
They're going to end up getting what they want in any deal that's made.

Your right, Denver in the long run will do better, but look at the difference between him and say Wade, Duncan, Kobe, and all the other stars that struck it out. Loyal players are rare, and it is hard to cheer for a team that has no loyalty from its players. The NBA is all about selfish, one on one play that does nothing for team play any longer. That is why it is great that the Heat (there guys left in FA to form a team), Celtics, Spurs, Magic and Lakers. They are teams, they play will play together and win together. I miss team play, and hope it is coming back.

DenButsu
09-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Who cares about Jay-Z! I hated when everyone thought that LeBron was coming to the Nets because he was BFF with Jay-Z, that's BS!

It may be.

But on the other hand, Melo produces music and film, and Lala is in the industry, so if you're a Nets fan who wants Melo to land there, he's not a bad ally to have on your side, given how influential he is in the biz. I don't think he's a scale tipper either way, but specifically in Melo's case (even if not in LeBron's), I'd at least say it's a factor that can't hurt but could help.

VinceCarter
09-27-2010, 01:16 PM
It may be.

But on the other hand, Melo produces music and film, and Lala is in the industry, so if you're a Nets fan who wants Melo to land there, he's not a bad ally to have on your side, given how influential he is in the biz. I don't think he's a scale tipper either way, but specifically in Melo's case (even if not in LeBron's), I'd at least say it's a factor that can't hurt but could help.

I think that is true for everything about Jay-Z's connection to the Nets....

bryan71023
09-27-2010, 01:22 PM
But what can Jay-Z say? It's not like he's going to say If you come today, Chris Paul will come tomorrow. Jay-Z has been part with the Nets for years now and to be honest with you as a Net fan all he has done was trying to get the Nets to leave Jersey and go to Brooklyn. That's all he has done nothing else. So if people really believe that he can land Carmelo to come to the Nets then I hope you guys are right, but as for now Jay-Z is as good as a liabilty.

SouthSideRookie
09-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Now it's the Warriors, Melo potentially a Warrior? :facepalm:

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_16182213

DenButsu
09-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Now it's the Warriors, Melo potentially a Warrior? :facepalm:

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_16182213

Extremely doubtful. I'd be shocked.

VinceCarter
09-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Warriors GM Larry Riley squashed melo-steph rumors by saying steph is "a long time warrior."

Spears tweet. (http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo)

The L Train
09-27-2010, 01:44 PM

Am I wrong? No. SO why try to pick a fight. I was just saying Jay Z doesn't have any say in what the Nets do, he simply donated 1 million dollars, which is basically nothing in the big picture for a professional sports franchise, or even the Nets.

VinceCarter
09-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Am I wrong? No. SO why try to pick a fight. I was just saying Jay Z doesn't have any say in what the Nets do, he simply donated 1 million dollars, which is basically nothing in the big picture for a professional sports franchise, or even the Nets.

He's a part owner and influences the front office....so yes you are wrong.

The L Train
09-27-2010, 01:50 PM
please do your research he is a minority owner and your statement is wrong. He has no say but he does own like 1 or 2 percent of the team and has for years now.

First of all, who in their right mind would do any sort of research regarding anything Nets related? Get real.

Also, yeah, so, Jay owns 1% of the Nets. It doesn't change my point. Why try to make something out of nothing? You guys are really in a pissy mood these days.

The L Train
09-27-2010, 01:52 PM
He's a part owner and influences the front office....so yes you are wrong.

He absolutely does not influence the front office, are you for real? Can you provide a link?

The only thing he cares about is moving the team to Brooklyn. He doesn't have any other interest in the Nets, and he damn sure has no say whatsoever as to who they sign or trade for.

You really think 1% gives you influence in the front office? Really?

VinceCarter
09-27-2010, 01:52 PM
First of all, who in their right mind would do any sort of research regarding anything Nets related? Get real.

Also, yeah, so, Jay owns 1% of the Nets. It doesn't change my point. Why try to make something out of nothing? You guys are really in a pissy mood these days.

Pissy mood? We just don't appreciate fans of other teams claiming to know what's going on with out team when they don't have their facts straight.

I don't make false statements about the Knicks because I don't know much about the Knicks system.

The L Train
09-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Pissy mood? We just don't appreciate fans of other teams claiming to know what's going on with out team when they don't have their facts straight.

I don't make false statements about the Knicks because I don't know much about the Knicks system.

Do you know for a fact that The Jiggaman has influence in the front office? He's been involved with the Nets for how many years? And what has he done?

Pretty much everything the guy touches turns to gold, so it's hard to believe that he has much influence on the Nets the way things have been going for them recently.

Last season looked much closer to Justin Bieber than Jay Z.

Kashmir13579
09-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Do you know for a fact that The Jiggaman has influence in the front office? He's been involved with the Nets for how many years? And what has he done?

Pretty much everything the guy touches turns to gold, so it's hard to believe that he has much influence on the Nets the way things have been going for them recently.

Last season looked much closer to Justin Bieber than Jay Z.

LOL, just leave it at that man.. i'm tellin' you.

EDIT: HOVA

DenButsu
09-27-2010, 02:05 PM

Hopefully, anyone who was speaking about the Nets in ways that implied they actually knew what they were talking about? I'd start with that. :shrug:

The L Train
09-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Hopefully, anyone who was speaking about the Nets in ways that implied they actually knew what they were talking about? I'd start with that. :shrug:

My comment was more about Jay Z and his interest in the Nets than it was about the Nets organization itself.

But look, I hope you guys have a great season and Favors turns out to be everything you say he is. I have nothing against the Nets.

The L Train
09-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Oh that's why you were in the Net's forum.....

I can honestly say that I have NEVER entered the Nets forum intentionally. If I did, if was because I clicked on a link from the 'NBA top 10' box on the PSD homepage and it was a thread in the Nets forum, which I was unaware of.

BULLSFAN0810
09-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Melo needs to come to Chicago...point blank

jrm2054
09-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Melo needs to come to Chicago...point blank

great logic and support :eyebrow:

arkanian215
09-27-2010, 02:45 PM

Yeah you are

He's a minority owner of the Nets. That makes him a part owner.

The L Train
09-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah you are

He's a minority owner of the Nets. That makes him a part owner.

He has ZERO say in what the Nets do. That makes him a mascot.

arkanian215
09-27-2010, 02:59 PM
He has ZERO say in what the Nets do. That makes him a mascot.

That doesn't make him not a part owner.

bryan71023
09-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Screw Jay-Z he is not Billy King! Billy King is the one who makes the deal not Jay-Z. Sometimes I wish Thorn never left it's like the Nets traded Thorn to the 76ers for King -_-

The L Train
09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
That doesn't make him not a part owner.

He owns just over 1% of the Nets.

He gets to have the title of 'Part Owner', sure, but it still only gives him about as much say in what the front office does as you or I have.

The L Train
09-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Screw Jay-Z he is not Billy King! Billy King is the one who makes the deal not Jay-Z. Sometimes I wish Thorn never left it's like the Nets traded Thorn to the 76ers for King -_-

Maybe now that a Nets fan said it you guys will accept it.

arkanian215
09-27-2010, 03:09 PM

He gets to have the title of 'Part Owner', sure, but it still only gives him about as much say in what the front office does as you or I have.

lol That's all I was saying. He's a part owner, something you originally said he was not.

bryan71023
09-27-2010, 03:10 PM

It's not that I'm only a Net fan, Jay-Z would help others stars come sign to the Nets if the Nets had stars already in this team. So if Carmelo does wind up in the Nets, then Jay-Z would have a big influence on other star players to sign with the Nets like a Chris Paul when he becomes a FA in 2012. But, for now the Nets doesn't have a superstar to grab other players attention that is why the Nets would do anything it takes to get Anthony. Every team needs that superstar to win a ring, and everyone knows that having a superstar in your team is the best way to attract other superstars to sign with your team; ask Wade and the Miami Heat they are a great example.

arkanian215
09-27-2010, 03:11 PM

No one said he was in charge of making roster decisions. Who said that?

jrm2054
09-27-2010, 03:12 PM

yea but you are forgetting the fact that he has a relationship with these players and can sway them to the nets bc the nets are part of his investment and he wants them to succeed. It is about who you know that is what makes jay-z important to the nets not his 1% ownership

The L Train
09-27-2010, 03:46 PM
lol That's all I was saying. He's a part owner, something you originally said he was not.

Really? I said Jay Z is not a part owner of the Nets? Quote me.

I never said he wasn't part owner, I just said he has less influence on the front office than Sly the Fox.

The L Train
09-27-2010, 03:49 PM
It's not that I'm only a Net fan, Jay-Z would help others stars come sign to the Nets if the Nets had stars already in this team. So if Carmelo does wind up in the Nets, then Jay-Z would have a big influence on other star players to sign with the Nets like a Chris Paul when he becomes a FA in 2012. But, for now the Nets doesn't have a superstar to grab other players attention that is why the Nets would do anything it takes to get Anthony. Every team needs that superstar to win a ring, and everyone knows that having a superstar in your team is the best way to attract other superstars to sign with your team; ask Wade and the Miami Heat they are a great example.

Dude, if big time stars sign with the Nets, those stars will(potentially) attract other big stars, it will have nothing to do with Jay Z.

If you guys get Carmelo, your chances of getting CP3 increase dramatically, and it has nothing to do with Hov.

Seriously, I'm asking a real question and hoping for an answer... What has Jay Z done for your team?

And I say this as a huge Jay Z fan, but lets be honest, what significant player has he influenced to come to the Nets?

Go ahead, I'll wait...

The L Train
09-27-2010, 03:51 PM

yea but you are forgetting the fact that he has a relationship with these players and can sway them to the nets bc the nets are part of his investment and he wants them to succeed. It is about who you know that is what makes jay-z important to the nets not his 1% ownership

Here:

I'm asking a real question and hoping for an answer... What has Jay Z done for your team?

And I say this as a huge Jay Z fan, but lets be honest, what significant player has he influenced to come to the Nets?

Go ahead, I'll wait...

haggis
09-27-2010, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=jrm2054;15016168]

Here:

I'm asking a real question and hoping for an answer... What has Jay Z done for your team?

Go ahead, I'll wait...

Jordan Farmar:shrug:

NJBASEBALL22
09-27-2010, 04:02 PM

exactly. He doesn't make the decisions, but he is still a representative to the organization who has the team's best interests in mind. If he can do something to help the Nets, why wouldn't he??? He loses money when the Nets lose money.

arkanian215
09-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Really? I said Jay Z is not a part owner of the Nets? Quote me.

I never said he wasn't part owner, I just said he has less influence on the front office than Sly the Fox.

He's not even close to being a part owner of the Nets? Isn't that the same as saying he isn't a part owner of the Nets?

arkanian215
09-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Here:

Go ahead, I'll wait...

He makes pitches for our team. Was he not part of the sales pitch to LeBron? No one said he's a huge part of this team. I'm just saying I appreciate him trying to do things since he is a part owner. Any contribution would be great.

REALLYYYYY?
09-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Lol.

Sources: There might be a trade involving Carmelo Anthony. There also might be other different trades. Also, other teams are possibly looking to trade other players...with other teams.

REALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Illa215
09-27-2010, 04:35 PM
The Nuggets are holding out of any deal until they get Iguodala from Philly, Nets get Carmello, and Philly gets Favors.

The Melo to Philly rumors were a big smoke screen. The Nuggets wanted Iggy, and the Sixers wanted Favors. The Nets now HAVE to give in. They need Melo.

jimbobjarree
09-27-2010, 04:41 PM
^everybody wins but the nuggets lol

THE MTL
09-27-2010, 04:42 PM
I knew Jay-Z was minority owner but dag only 1.5%. The way they talk him up, I thought he owned at least 10%

ShaqShoes
09-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Lol.

Sources: There might be a trade involving Carmelo Anthony. There also might be other different trades. Also, other teams are possibly looking to trade other players...with other teams.

REALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Who are these sources? :eyebrow:

REALLYYYYY?
09-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Who are these sources? :eyebrow:

You can take my comment three of two ways:
1. sarcasm, or
2. a serious paraphrase of the report(s) featured in this thread and basically all other reports regarding the whole trading of Melo thing.

The L Train
09-27-2010, 05:09 PM
He's not even close to being a part owner of the Nets? Isn't that the same as saying he isn't a part owner of the Nets?

Ok, you got me on that one, point taken. I should have worded that better. I didn't mean he wasnt close to PART owner, I meant he isnt close to owning the team and making decisions like a lot of people think.

My point was that Jay Z doesn't own the Nets, and though the 1% he owns gives him the honorary title of Part Owner, it doesn't mean he has anything to do with anything the team does. He doesn't make the decisions and he hasn't proven that he's good at doing anything for the Nets.

He hasn't recruited any superstars, he seems to be far more interested in having a sports team in Brooklyn than he is in the Nets. Even as a Nets fan you can't deny that.

And damn,
he hasn't even shouted them out in a song, unless you count that "Knicks and Nets give me high fives" line... So again, what has he done?

Mudvayne91
09-27-2010, 05:13 PM
^everybody wins but the nuggets lol

You're right. I would seriously disown the team if all we got was Iggy out of that trade.

netsgiantsyanks
09-27-2010, 05:15 PM
The Nuggets are holding out of any deal until they get Iguodala from Philly, Nets get Carmello, and Philly gets Favors.

The Melo to Philly rumors were a big smoke screen. The Nuggets wanted Iggy, and the Sixers wanted Favors. The Nets now HAVE to give in. They need Melo.

um, no we dont have to give in to anything.

The L Train
09-27-2010, 05:18 PM
He makes pitches for our team. Was he not part of the sales pitch to LeBron? No one said he's a huge part of this team. I'm just saying I appreciate him trying to do things since he is a part owner. Any contribution would be great.

Hey, I love Jay Z, and when I first heard about it, I thought he bought the team outright, I thought he majority owner, and I thought that was awesome. I found out soon after that he only donated some money to help them move to Brooklyn, and he didn't really have much else to do with the team, and I was kinda disappointed.

I see what you mean though, anything he can do that might help would be appreciated for sure, I get that. But I just don't think he really has that much pull with players, I think for most players it's gonna come down to money and family and winning, probably in that order, and I don't think Jay Z telling them they should play somewhere would really even be on their radar.

I mean honestly, put yourself in the players shoes. Even as a huge Jay Z fan, if I were in the NBA and Jay was telling me he wanted me to come to the Nets, but lets say the Lakers were offering me more money, plus my wife's family lives in LA and she really want to live there, plus I think I have a better shot at seeing more minutes in LA, I mean, you know, sorry Hov, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

I don't think any celebrity could significantly influence a player, unless the celeb is their wife.

ShaqShoes
09-27-2010, 05:22 PM
You can take my comment three of two ways:
1. sarcasm, or
2. a serious paraphrase of the report(s) featured in this thread and basically all other reports regarding the whole trading of Melo thing.
I was kidding.

NYtilIdie
09-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Ok, you got me on that one, point taken. I should have worded that better. I didn't mean he wasnt close to PART owner, I meant he isnt close to owning the team and making decisions like a lot of people think.

My point was that Jay Z doesn't own the Nets, and though the 1% he owns gives him the honorary title of Part Owner, it doesn't mean he has anything to do with anything the team does. He doesn't make the decisions and he hasn't proven that he's good at doing anything for the Nets.

He hasn't recruited any superstars, he seems to be far more interested in having a sports team in Brooklyn than he is in the Nets. Even as a Nets fan you can't deny that.

And damn,
he hasn't even shouted them out in a song, unless you count that "Knicks and Nets give me high fives" line... So again, what has he done?

Jay-Z has as much pull as a Nets owner as Jennifer Lopez does as a Miami Dolphins owner.

Illa215
09-27-2010, 05:27 PM
um, no we dont have to give in to anything.

The Nets are desperate for a star.

If they lose out on Melo, then the last 3 years has been a giant failure. They would move to Brooklyn as a constant 8-10 seed. They will give in..

bryan71023
09-27-2010, 05:39 PM

As much as I want Favor to stay as a Net, if this three team trade only involves the Nets giving up Favors, 2 1st round picks, cash, and NO Devin Harris to get Carmelo Anthony; then I would be fine with that trade. But do you really think Denver wants to take Iggy's contract when Denver are trying to rebuild with young players.

REALLYYYYY?
09-27-2010, 06:31 PM
I was kidding.

unacceptable.

VinceCarter
09-27-2010, 07:31 PM
As much as I want Favor to stay as a Net, if this three team trade only involves the Nets giving up Favors, 2 1st round picks, cash, and NO Devin Harris to get Carmelo Anthony; then I would be fine with that trade. But do you really think Denver wants to take Iggy's contract when Denver are trying to rebuild with young players.

I'd be ESTATIC!!!

THE GIPPER
09-27-2010, 07:48 PM

this makes no sense....your just saying this cuz you like dreaming about having turner and favors on your
team.

bringinwood
09-27-2010, 07:57 PM

There is no way the Sixers are involved in a deal for Melo ( regardless of how many teams are involved ) without them giving Holiday or Turner...

For them to get a solid piece, they will have to deliver a solid one back...

Iguodala is not nearly enough for Denver to give up Melo... It's also not enough to get Favors...

You would definitely be able to say the sixers would be the winners in that deal... lmao

nuggetsyankees
09-27-2010, 08:05 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=22n22s6 how about this?

daleja424
09-27-2010, 08:24 PM
these talks seems to have died down so Im closing this. If a new rumor pops up we can start a new thread. In the meantime feel free to speculate in the megathread or visit the Nuggets forum.