PDA

View Full Version : Super Stars signing with new teams, The new Fad?

Fireworld
09-26-2010, 11:18 PM
It seams the interesting/hot trade rumors today surround all the NBA superstars. Is this the direction the NBA is heading? Bosh left, James left, Mello leaving? CP3 to NY? Who's next, Dwight?

Is "Loyalty" gone in the NBA today? WHY are these and other Stars leaving the teams that drafted them? More money? More fame? Championship desires?

What do you think the above five players (and others) desire???
Rings, Fame or Fortune?
:confused:

Discuss!!

Gators123
09-26-2010, 11:26 PM
They think the grass is always greener on the other side.

JerseysFinest
09-26-2010, 11:32 PM
it's not like before when you could have a team full of descent and borderline all-stars and win a championship, or have one star with average talent around him. The way competition is now, you need stars to be successful. LeBron and Bosh realized this. Melo realizes this, and almost everyone else does also. Oh and BTW, D12 won't leave Orlando

Fireworld
09-26-2010, 11:32 PM
I personally think players are leaving their team for more fame. They already have the money, none of them really have the killer instinct that defines a champion. I don't see any Jordan, Duncan, Kobe, Bird, or Magic in any of these players/men. None.

Baller1
09-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Dwight needs to go to OKC.

asandhu23
09-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Monta Ellis is loyal. He could have demanded a trade after seeing the We Believe team traded away for nothing but no, he stayed and got a tattoo of the new Dubs logo.

Truheatfan
09-26-2010, 11:52 PM

that would be scary :speechless:

Fireworld
09-27-2010, 12:00 AM

I would hate to see Dwight leave Orlando but, WoW, that would be one hell of a team!
I hope he doesn't leave ORL just like you would hate to see KD leave for ORL.

k24springs
09-27-2010, 12:00 AM
I agree that you need at least two superstars and a great defense to to win a championship. Look at the 2004 Detroit Pistons team that team had all-stars but, not superstars. The Pistons were such a balanced squad offensively and had all guys committed to the defensive end.

Guys like Bosh, James, and Melo dont have that killer instinct. Melo had a great team in 2009 when I think they should've beaten the Lakers that year but, he doesn't have the desire to take control of his team Billups does that. James I thought had a great chance last year but, once again he failed the Cavs again.

As far as these superstars leaving to go to new teams its alot of factors like the market of a team, a team's talent, more money, their inability to lead their old teams, or some guys are just quitters and dont want to carry their teams. You never heard Jordan, Bird, Magic, Hakeem, and other great legends saying that they wanted to go another team just because things aren't going well. All of those guys wanted to be the best and wanted to beat their opponents but, then again free agency can make or break a franchise. I mean look at what happened to us when Shaq left Orlando it tooks a whole decade to return to elite status.

Oh and I can't picture guys like D12, Durant, Dirk, Kobe, Pierce, Duncan, and especially Wade to leave their respective teams.

Fireworld
09-27-2010, 12:04 AM
I agree that you need at least two superstars and a great defense to to win a championship. Look at the 2004 Detroit Pistons team that team had all-stars but, not superstars. The Pistons were such a balanced squad offensively and had all guys committed to the defensive end.

Guys like Bosh, James, and Melo dont have that killer instinct. Melo had a great team in 2009 when I think they should've beaten the Lakers that year but, he doesn't have the desire to take control of his team Billups does that. James I thought had a great chance last year but, once again he failed the Cavs again.

As far as these superstars leaving to go to new teams its alot of factors like the market of a team, a team's talent, more money, their inability to lead their old teams, or some guys are just quitters and dont want to carry their teams. You never heard Jordan, Bird, Magic, Hakeem, and other great legends saying that they wanted to go another team just because things aren't going well. All of those guys wanted to be the best and wanted to beat their opponents but, then again free agency can make or break a franchise. I mean look at what happened to us when Shaq left Orlando it tooks a whole decade to return to elite status.

Oh and I can't picture guys like D12, Durant, Dirk, Kobe, Pierce, Duncan, and especially Wade to leave their respective teams.

Touché, well said brotha, well said. :clap:

Lloyd Christmas
09-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Everyone teaming up like this doesn't really bother me but the way some players go about it does.

jimm120
09-27-2010, 12:18 AM
it's not like before when you could have a team full of descent and borderline all-stars and win a championship, or have one star with average talent around him. The way competition is now, you need stars to be successful. LeBron and Bosh realized this. Melo realizes this, and almost everyone else does also. Oh and BTW, D12 won't leave Orlando

Yeah, just look at the 90's Knicks.

It was practically Ewing by himself always. His "best" sidekick for the most part was John Starks. I consider Starks like what Denver has in JR Smith: a good player that can be the #3 on a team or a specialty player (3 point) that can also pull up and drive a bit. That was the best talent he got. That was Ewing's #2 man. Yeah, they got Houston and Sprewell, but when he was already on his way down.

Look at David Robinson. He won alright. But when? When he got himself another superstar (even though he was on his way down...but really, Duncan beats Houston and Spree).

Its harder now to win.

Baller1
09-27-2010, 12:23 AM
I would hate to see Dwight leave Orlando but, WoW, that would be one hell of a team!
I hope he doesn't leave ORL just like you would hate to see KD leave for ORL.

Yeah I don't see it happening. But a Westbrook, Durant, Dwight trio would be absolutely insane. Defensively, they would be the best team by far.

tredigs
09-27-2010, 12:24 AM

Now ask yourself what all these players had in common when it came time to sign a new contract? (hint: a fantastic basketball city and/or coach+management and/or supporting cast and/or the cap space to create a contender in the near future).

Not all situations are alike. What Melo's doing here to Denver (while still on a very strong team and under contract) is far worse than what James or Bosh did (simply left after their contract was up, while not making any promises, and for the most part not mentioning the off-season whatsoever while they were still there. I see nothing wrong with that at all. The way each of them did it was disrespectful in a sense, but by no means immoral or wrong in any way), but it's still understandable.

It may be true that the stars of this generation are more interested in winning rings and/or fame+money than in generations past (Rather than loyalty to a particular city. Especially when owners themselves trade players all the time with no regard for their loyalty. So it goes both ways fellas), but I think it has more to do with a lack of parity in the league, and those great players in the poor situations want a chance to compete with the absolutely stacked teams like the Lakers and Celtics. Since their organizations didn't have the means to draw in other top tier players to win the ring, they went elsewhere.

It's a job, and a business - this is the reality of the NBA - and every other sport in the world. The only way to slow this is by implementing a "hard cap" on the NBA teams so that an owner like Jerry Buss or Cuban can't simply try to buy their way to the top, but the players union won't let that happen right now. So, this is the natural result.

Fireworld
09-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Now ask yourself what all these players had in common when it came time to sign a new contract? (hint: a fantastic basketball city and/or coach+management and/or supporting cast).

Not all situations are alike. What Melo's doing here to Denver (while still on a very strong team and under contract) is far worse than what James or Bosh did (simply left after their contract was up, while not making any promises, and for the most part not mentioning the off-season whatsoever while they were still there. I see nothing wrong with that at all. The way each of them did it was disrespectful in a sense, but by no means immoral or wrong in any way).

It may be true that the stars of this generation are more interested in winning rings and/or fame+money than in generations past (Rather than loyalty to a particular city. Especially when owners themselves trade players all the time with no regard for their loyalty. So it goes both ways fellas), but I think it has more to do with a lack of parity in the league, and those great players in the poor situations want a chance to compete with the absolutely stacked teams like the Lakers and Celtics. Since their organizations didn't have the means to draw in other top tier players to win the ring, they went elsewhere.

It's a job, and a business - this is the reality of the NBA - and every other sport in the world. The only way to slow this is by implementing a "hard cap" on the NBA teams so that an owner like Jerry Buss or Cuban can't simply try to buy their way to the top, but the players union simply won't let that happen right now. So, this is the natural result.

I can respect that. I guess it all boils down to the owners and what they're willing to pay to help their Super-Stars stay/win.

Wade>You
09-27-2010, 12:34 AM
I personally think players are leaving their team for more fame. They already have the money, none of them really have the killer instinct that defines a champion. I don't see any Jordan, Duncan, Kobe, Bird, or Magic in any of these players/men. None.Use common sense man, those guys you listed had the HOFers and supporting cast brought to them. They didn't play for losing cultures, ya know.

abe_froman
09-27-2010, 12:45 AM
It seams the interesting/hot trade rumors today surround all the NBA superstars. Is this the direction the NBA is heading? Bosh left, James left, Mello leaving? CP3 to NY? Who's next, Dwight?

Is "Loyalty" gone in the NBA today? WHY are these and other Stars leaving the teams that drafted them? More money? More fame? Championship desires?

What do you think the above five players (and others) desire???
Rings, Fame or Fortune?
:confused:

Discuss!!
yes, no other star in the history of the league has ever demanded a trade before:laugh2:

its talked about and updated hourly,its fresh in your mind is it seems like a bigger thing than it was before everyone on twitter had a rumor to share.and at deadline,next year and in 10 years you'll be saying the same thing.

ryder78c
09-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Use common sense man, those guys you listed had the HOFers and supporting cast brought to them. They didn't play for losing cultures, ya know.
:facepalm:

those HOFers made there teams thats why Durant is such a good player he makes his Thunder not him bringing in another star he gets the team hyped and ready to play and thats coming from a BLAZERS fan....WADE/BOSH/JAMES= DUMB Punks they cant take a team to the promise land so they get together to make a team and take the easy road who ever said winning a championship is suppose to be easy? there wasnt any HEAT FaNS on the sight last year wade resigns and bosh and lebron sign they become fans over night i guess the bandwagon went from Portland to OKC to MIA

Lebron james is the biggest piece of Crap in the world if he would of stayed in Cleveland for another 2year they would be champions and we would be calling him the next MJ now he aint even the next harold minor in my book at

WadeKobe
09-27-2010, 01:06 AM
I personally think players are leaving their team for more fame. They already have the money, none of them really have the killer instinct that defines a champion. I don't see any Jordan, Duncan, Kobe, Bird, or Magic in any of these players/men. None.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

This is silly. None of them have the killer instinct that defines a champion? Look, that has nothing to do with it - even if it is true. The fact is that in order to win a championship in this league you have to have the best team. If you can't get a team put around you, it doesn't matter how good you are - you will NEVER win. Jordan would have never won by himself. Magic would ahve never won by himself. Bird would have never won by himself. Kobe never won by himself. Shaq never won by himself.

PERIOD.

End of discussion.

Enter 2010... the league is thin on serious talent and relatively rich with some young talent. However, the talent is super thin compared to MJ's days and Kobe's early days. Therefore, only the teams with multiple top-tier guys have even had a chance at winning for the past 8 years.

Bosh was never going to be #1 on a championship squad, and he took his chance to do what every great player of his caliber has done - play #2 to a great player. Pippen, Clyde, Gasol, Parker, etc...

The fact is the LeBron is simply good enough that he helped that team outperform every regular season and when they finally had to sustain that type of play against teams like Boston and Orlando over 7 game series it became obvious who the better all-around team was.

So, when Cleveland failed to land decent talent to put around James he knew he had no chance of beating LA, Boston, Orlando, or a Heat team which had added Bosh. So, he went to a team he could compete with and win with - one of those teams. Because no matter how good HE was, the Cavs did not have a good enough team.

Melo is on a team with a new head coach and that seemed incapable of winning last year. He doesn't feel confident it will get better and thinks that the team wants to rebuild. Why would he spend his PRIME years watching the Heat dominate the league, sitting on a team that is rebuilding?

Of course he wants to get dealt to a team that can compete and give him a chance.

It has nothing to do with fame or any of the other nonsense you've talked about. The answer is plain and simple. They want to win and they did what was necessary to be in a position to compete in a league which is very thin on talent and has other stacked teams.

Why are people so ready to make themselves look foolish by either (a) acting like it has to do with ANYTHING else or (b) acting like it's any different than what MJ, Magic, or Bird did?

What people need to realize is that Cleveland acted differently than Boston, LA, or Chicago did. Thus, LeBron was forced to do something else. Why be loyal to a team that refuses to be loyal to you?

:facepalm: this conversation...

WadeKobe
09-27-2010, 01:07 AM
:facepalm:

those HOFers made there teams thats why Durant is such a good player he makes his Thunder not him bringing in another star he gets the team hyped and ready to play and thats coming from a BLAZERS fan....WADE/BOSH/JAMES= DUMB Punks they cant take a team to the promise land so they get together to make a team and take the easy road who ever said winning a championship is suppose to be easy? there wasnt any HEAT FaNS on the sight last year wade resigns and bosh and lebron sign they become fans over night i guess the bandwagon went from Portland to OKC to MIA

Lebron james is the biggest piece of Crap in the world if he would of stayed in Cleveland for another 2year they would be champions and we would be calling him the next MJ now he aint even the next harold minor in my book at

You truly are clueless as to the workings of the league and the talent needed and what teams did to surround the old stars. Read my post. Any other discussion, especially what you've said here is pure bunk. :facepalm:

Meaze_Gibson
09-27-2010, 01:11 AM
I can respect leaving. My view is that owners and general managers are the most nonloyal people on earth next to politicians and car salesmen. They'll smile in your face, earn that money off you, and trade you when your value is gone. Add to the fact that NBA fans only, ultimately, respect those who win chips and you have motivation to have a "get yours" mentality.

Yeah, people from New York see Ewing as a great. But everybody else sees him as below Hakeem, D.Robinson, and Shaq. Yeah, we may remember Reggie, but now they sayin Ray Allen is best shooter of all time. (Which he's not). All because he won a chip..In fact, him and Pierce got Hall of Fame on lock. Before that chip tho, McGrady had a higher chance.

Players don't wanna be like Mark Price, Kevin Johnson, Charles Barkley, and soon-to-be Jason Kidd. They all had great stats but lacked the ring. With a ring Mark and KJ would've been pioneers and revered. Barkley probably would've been the best pf of all time, and Kidd would go down after Magic and Isiah. Instead though, they all have that knock. Instead they'll fade into becoming forgotten heros, waitin to be replaced by a just as talented but perhaps luckier player. Stars wanna have that legendary status.