PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Season Overview

jmoney23
09-26-2010, 03:14 PM
So I am sure most of us are pleasantly surprised with how the Jays performed this year. In a year a lot of the media predicted the Jays to be one of the worst teams in baseball, we definitely proved that we are far from it. There have been some great surprises (Bautista, all the HRs, etc...) and considering Lind and Hill both had what would be considered down years, I think it was a very impressive season. We have seen that we have some strong pitching depth going forward, even to the point where we might have some trade chips. We saw what AA could really do and he made a lot of good moves, including a strong draft where we had the picks to make an impact. Some of our minor leaguers have looked great, and there have been some great moments throughout the year (Morrow's 1 hitter, Drabek's No-No, JPA debut). I know they have to address some things in the offseason, like Bautista's contract and straightening out the bullpen, but I think this could be the start of bringing the excitement back to Toronto.

What do you guys feel about the season, and what do you think needs to be done this year in the offseason to keep the momentum going?

Asham
09-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Trade Drabek

FlakeyFool
09-26-2010, 06:01 PM
relocate

Halladay
09-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Bring back J.P.

idrinkpepsi
09-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Re-sign Brian Tallet for 10 years @ 10 million per.

BlueJayFanDan
09-27-2010, 02:43 AM
Re-sign Brian Tallet for 10 years @ 10 million per.

Shortchanging him much? Worth at least 15 mil per.

Seriously though, I am proud of our team this season. I think we desperately need to address the bullpen this offseason. I say pretty much let go of most of the bullpen guys. Let Downs walk for those type A picks (think it's still type A), let Frasor Walk, get rid of Gregg and Tallet, Camp and Roenickie can both stay, get Purcey up all year, Hayhurst as well if healthy because he is awesome. Go out and sign a few arms. As far as the rotation, I think we will be fine. If we wanna make a run at a good cheap veteran I would be cool with it but top 4 are Marcum, Romero, Cecil, and Morrow, and then 5th spot is open. I hope Rzep gets back to form, I don't see Drabek being ready just yet so who knows. Also Mills could always be an option. Position players I say go out and make a splash with a couple good FA's. We probably only need 1 or 2. I think our lineup should look like this:

Catcher: Arencibia
1st: Lind
2nd: Hill
3rd: Bautista or FA
Short: Yunel
Right Field: Snider or Bautista
Center Field: Vernon
Left Field: Snider or FA
DH: Snider or Lind (when not at 1st) or FA

Definitely gotta get rid of Overbay and Wise. Keep Encarnacion and Lewis as backups. And so on.

BlueJayCarter
09-27-2010, 08:58 AM
relocate

Relocate to Winnipeg or Yellowknife. At least all games will be sold out with an attendance average of 2,500 a game.

BlueJayCarter
09-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Shortchanging him much? Worth at least 15 mil per.

Seriously though, I am proud of our team this season. I think we desperately need to address the bullpen this offseason. I say pretty much let go of most of the bullpen guys. Let Downs walk for those type A picks (think it's still type A), let Frasor Walk, get rid of Gregg and Tallet, Camp and Roenickie can both stay, get Purcey up all year, Hayhurst as well if healthy because he is awesome. Go out and sign a few arms. As far as the rotation, I think we will be fine. If we wanna make a run at a good cheap veteran I would be cool with it but top 4 are Marcum, Romero, Cecil, and Morrow, and then 5th spot is open. I hope Rzep gets back to form, I don't see Drabek being ready just yet so who knows. Also Mills could always be an option. Position players I say go out and make a splash with a couple good FA's. We probably only need 1 or 2. I think our lineup should look like this:

Catcher: Arencibia
1st: Lind
2nd: Hill
3rd: Bautista or FA
Short: Yunel
Right Field: Snider or Bautista
Center Field: Vernon
Left Field: Snider or FA
DH: Snider or Lind (when not at 1st) or FA

Definitely gotta get rid of Overbay and Wise. Keep Encarnacion and Lewis as backups. And so on.

Very good assessment. I agree that we should get rid of most of our bull-pen, hopefully for the four picks if Downs and Gregg, Frasor are Type A and then B, B respectively. We need some of the young guys take those spots and grow as they are the ones who willbe competing when Blue Jays get to the playoffs. So keep Camp, Janssen, Purcey, Carlson, Roenike, and one or two minor leaguers or "cheap good reliever" on the open market. I like how the rotation shapes up like you say, we have four locks and I would love Drabek to get the fifth but as you say we have several options that can fill in until he and Stewert are ready mid-season. I would like Shaun Hill to fill in if possible, his ERA is sick.

Snider should play everyday backed up by Lewis or a minor leaguers ... Chris Lubanski??

I agree that Overbay.. Wise need to be gone (Lind can do okay at 1st). Also Buck (pick I think) and Encarnacion need to be gone as well. I would rather see Emaus over Encarnacion at third any day.

And as you say maybe an FA signing or two .. for the fielders.

heusy_79
09-27-2010, 11:25 AM
They Jays should at least make an effort to bring Buck back, let him split time behind the plate with JP and DH.

Eagles4Lyfe
09-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Right now we have about the 16th pick with 80 wins and like 3 or 4 teams with 77 wins so we still have placing to go, see how it plays out

BlueJayCarter
09-27-2010, 12:53 PM
They Jays should at least make an effort to bring Buck back, let him split time behind the plate with JP and DH.

No. I don't think Buck should be back. I could be wrong but J.P has not played "awful" at the catcher position and needs a full season with a "veteran" catcher (Molina or back-up catcher like Molina) to mentor him. Buck would take like he has this season to many games from J.P.

J.P needs at least 100 Gms ... 400 Abs a full season at catcher before we decide on if he is the future at catching or can be a DH or another position or a trade chip for prospects or a piece to the puzzle.

Asham
09-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Wouldnt surprise me at all if they picked up Kevin Gregg's option

BlueJayFanDan
09-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Very good assessment. I agree that we should get rid of most of our bull-pen, hopefully for the four picks if Downs and Gregg, Frasor are Type A and then B, B respectively. We need some of the young guys take those spots and grow as they are the ones who willbe competing when Blue Jays get to the playoffs. So keep Camp, Janssen, Purcey, Carlson, Roenike, and one or two minor leaguers or "cheap good reliever" on the open market. I like how the rotation shapes up like you say, we have four locks and I would love Drabek to get the fifth but as you say we have several options that can fill in until he and Stewert are ready mid-season. I would like Shaun Hill to fill in if possible, his ERA is sick.

Snider should play everyday backed up by Lewis or a minor leaguers ... Chris Lubanski??

I agree that Overbay.. Wise need to be gone (Lind can do okay at 1st). Also Buck (pick I think) and Encarnacion need to be gone as well. I would rather see Emaus over Encarnacion at third any day.

And as you say maybe an FA signing or two .. for the fielders.

Janssen I completely forgot about. he definitely needs to be back in the bullpen next year. He is awesome. Carlson I forgot to mention as well. I would be fine keeping him as we do need a lefty but I would not oppose getting rid of him as there are better guys out there. Also as far as Emaus he needs to be up but I dunno where he will fit. I wonder if he could play 3rd at a high level? That would prevent us from having to go out and spend more money. Otherwise I guess he is just an infield backup.

2009mvp
09-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Wouldnt surprise me at all if they picked up Kevin Gregg's option

Wouldn't surprise me either. Not that I think it's the right move though, not when he's pretty much guaranteed to net you type-B compensation. Is a mediocre stopgap closer for the next two years worth more than that draft pick? Don't think so, not for a team in this situation.

If it were up to me I'd decline his option and offer arb to all three FA relievers, understanding that Downs and Gregg are all but gone. Frasor projects as a type-A right now, meaning he and his agent would have quite the decision to make. If he accepts he's our closer, if he doesn't we take the picks and sign a replacement. I don't see why a Chad Qualls-type couldn't come in and do a worthwhile job for a year.

wamco
09-27-2010, 06:10 PM
EE will be non tendered

BBB
09-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Relocate to Winnipeg or Yellowknife. At least all games will be sold out with an attendance average of 2,500 a game.

Winnipeg has a baseball team and average around 6000. Very good considering its an independent AA team, a city of 650k, a city where baseball is rarely talked about (no hype whatsoever).

I don't know how that will translate if they were in the Major but surely it would be way over 2500.

http://mysite.verizon.net/charliesballparks/stadiums/ph/canwest2.jpg

You remind me of a typical American who always underrates Toronto. I hate those guys :mad:

Edit: oh btw Rick Mercer was at a Goldeyes game and will have a segment on them. It'll be shown tomorrow on cbc.

jaysfan55
10-01-2010, 09:52 AM
I honestly think the Jays played very very well this year. Going into 2011 they need to:

1. Redo the bullpen- Keep Janssen, Purcey, Gregg, and Camp all had good numbers in the pen this year add Rzepcynski, Buchholz, S.Hill, and R.Ray

2. Re-Configure the Bench- Keep Lewis and McDonald, Give Emaus a shot off the bench, and give Lubanksi a look...

3. Move Lind to First full time

4. Sign a good DH- Jason Kubel, Jonny Gomes, Jose Guillen to name a few good power guys that can be signed for cheap

5. Sign a 3B- Juan Uribe, Brandon Inge are available and both did better than EE this year.. (Uribe hit 20Hr's and drove in 70 plus this year)...

6. Re-sign Bautista and Buck, JPA will take over for Molina and platoon with Buck and give us a untouchable cathing duo that can hit 40-50 HRs combined.

We have a good Roster heading into 2011...I really hope AA doesnt shake it up to bad..if we can win 84-85 games this year then with a few small changes for 2011 I don't think the playoffs would be hard to achieve in 2011!

Go Jays!

North Yorker
10-01-2010, 10:38 AM
BP should include Purcey, Roenicke, Camp, Janssen, Frasor(I think he accepts arb.), one of Hill/Rzep/Litsch. If AA really thinks we could compete next year I would love to sign Soriano as our Closer. Probably a long-shot, but it would help our team so much to have a consistent Closer we havent had since BJ Ryan(before the melt down).

Sign a 3B/RF, thus making Lewis the 4th OF, which is what he should be, and a 1B/DH.

wamco
10-01-2010, 11:13 AM
I honestly think the Jays played very very well this year. Going into 2011 they need to:

3. Move Lind to First full time

4. Sign a good DH- Jason Kubel, Jonny Gomes, Jose Guillen to name a few good power guys that can be signed for cheap

5. Sign a 3B- Juan Uribe, Brandon Inge are available and both did better than EE this year.. (Uribe hit 20Hr's and drove in 70 plus this year)...

6. Re-sign Bautista and Buck, JPA will take over for Molina and platoon with Buck and give us a untouchable cathing duo that can hit 40-50 HRs combined.

We have a good Roster heading into 2011...I really hope AA doesnt shake it up to bad..if we can win 84-85 games this year then with a few small changes for 2011 I don't think the playoffs would be hard to achieve in 2011!

Go Jays!

We are going to have to go bigger than that though. Think Manny and Werth as impact bats over uribe and kubel

North Yorker
10-01-2010, 11:19 AM
We are going to have to go bigger than that though. Think Manny and Werth as impact bats over uribe and kubel

I believe AA said he wants to bring more speed and athleticism this offseason, of course he could look to do that via trade instead of FA, but I'm not sure we need more power hitting vets.

I would rather them spend that $$ on the BP.

wamco
10-02-2010, 11:25 AM
No such thing as too much power, especially power hitters that can get on base as well.

FlakeyFool
10-02-2010, 12:21 PM

yet more then what toronto averages for a blue jays game

jaysfan55
10-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Signing Jayson Werth to fill the DH spot would be a good move. He is good for 25-30Hr and drives in runs and gets on base. But will the Jays Brass allow us to open the checkbook a little to make a move like that...

Offseason needs: (we need to spend some money to fill these spots)

3B
DH
BP
Bench Help

2009mvp
10-03-2010, 01:04 PM
^^You'd sign Werth and then DH him, despite him being a better fielding OFer than anyone currently on the roster?

jaysnraptors44
10-03-2010, 01:17 PM
keep buck, arencibia is crap. he had is 15 minutes of fame in his debut . since then he hasnt done anything

Luca68
10-03-2010, 01:41 PM
keep buck, arencibia is crap. he had is 15 minutes of fame in his debut . since then he hasnt done anything

arencibia is far from crap, he needs some more time but he weill be atleaasst a decent player. He killed it in AAA, he struggled a bit but hes far from crap.