PDA

View Full Version : Bynum could miss first month of the season

RCarlson85
09-25-2010, 04:39 PM
So it turns out Andrew Bynum isn't healing as fast as he was supposed to. First he was supposed to miss training camp and hopefully be ready for the start of the season, but now he might miss the first month.

Can't say I'm surprised. This is nothing new for Bynum. I'm not sure that he will ever play a full season. I just don't see this many injury problems just disappearing as his career goes on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5614593

VinceCarter
09-25-2010, 04:43 PM
They should trade him for Marc Gasol.

Gators123
09-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Very talented player. Its too bad he can't stay healthy.

_KB24_
09-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Sit him out now for as long as we can so we can use him to full effect during the second half of the season.

Chacarron
09-25-2010, 04:58 PM
sit him out now for as long as we can so we can use him to full effect during the second half of the season.

+1

Hawkeye15
09-25-2010, 05:05 PM
The Lakers have the depth up front, and in general to survive 20 regular season games without him. They have done it a couple times before. Again, the roster depth of the Lakers is the reason they are the champs. They don't get effected like other rosters, as long as most of their players are healthy

GeekInThePink
09-25-2010, 05:06 PM

Memphis would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever do this trade.

J4KOP99
09-25-2010, 05:08 PM
As much as it sucks that he is injury prone... this almost helps out our team. It gives younger guys like Caracter a chance to play and let's a guy like Ratliff have a nice role early on.

We definitely have the depth to play at a high level with or without Bynum.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-25-2010, 05:08 PM
World's worst healer:sigh:

daleja424
09-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Thats all great Lakers fans... but what happens when all the sudden you are staring at a 2nd or 3rd seed in the playoffs without the homecourt? Makes the rest of your journey harder. It is in no way an advantage to be without him...

Teeboy1487
09-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Typically Bynum. I'm so losing faith in this guy. I have defended him for far too long.

Teeboy1487
09-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Thats all great Lakers fans... but what happens when all the sudden you are staring at a 2nd or 3rd seed in the playoffs without the homecourt? Makes the rest of your journey harder. It is in no way an advantage to be without him...

The lakers will be ok. They have plenty of experience without Bynum.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-25-2010, 05:17 PM
with bynum out watch KOBE and GASOLS #s be ridiculous first month of the season. last year when gasol was out KB24 was averaging like 36ppg shooting 50% from the field at one point. its going to be interesting.

RCarlson85
09-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Very talented player. Its too bad he can't stay healthy.

I agree. As much as I'm not a Laker fan, I will admit that Bynum is very talented and a pretty dominant center when healthy.

Hawkeye15
09-25-2010, 05:28 PM
with bynum out watch KOBE and GASOLS #s be ridiculous first month of the season. last year when gasol was out KB24 was averaging like 36ppg shooting 50% from the field at one point. its going to be interesting.

exactly. While he was out, Kobe and Gasol killed it. While Kobe was down, Gasol, Odom, and Bynum stepped up. That is what great teams do. And the west, up top, isn't as strong as it was a few years ago. 56-57 wins in probably enough for the #1 seed and the Lakers can handle a few injuries here and there and still get that record. They improved themselves in the offseason, so even if Kobe has his 4th straight year of individual decline, they should be in the running for the #1 seed out west.
Things like this do hurt them for HCA throughout. Miami, and Orlando should push over 58 wins each.

CowboysKB24
09-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Trade him while he is still worth a lot. This kid can't play a full season.

Algmuskrats
09-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Trade him while he still has talent and value.

kmo429
09-25-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't follow the NBA too much, but it seems like he's always injured, yet he gets all this credit for being one of the league's best centers, well that's impossible if you're always on the IR/DL/whatever they call it in basketball. Probably has a lot of talent but I think it's time LA tried to ship him out for someone more reliable.

Avenged
09-25-2010, 05:42 PM

Makes it harder sure, but the Lakers have the talent to make it all the way to the Finals without Bynum.

I'd prefer a challenge in the early goings though, I'd hate the Lakers to cruise and think it's going to be easy throughout.

godolphins
09-25-2010, 05:49 PM
This guy can never stay healthy for one full season.

Baseballcb95
09-25-2010, 05:49 PM

lmao.. not even in the lakers wetest dreams..

jkiddvc20
09-25-2010, 05:53 PM
The guy has all the talent in the world, but he just cant stay healthy.

masTOR_shake1
09-25-2010, 05:58 PM
only the first month. he could very well be healthy when it counts ya'll.

RCarlson85
09-25-2010, 06:02 PM
only the first month. he could very well be healthy when it counts ya'll.

Or he could get injured again. He can never be counted on to be healthy.

IversonIsKrazy
09-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Hopefully he'll be 100% healthy when it counts, in the playoffs, which hasn't happened in his career. '08, he didn't even play. '09, barely played. '10, played with injury. This is the first year I think LA will actually need him to be 100% to win a championship. But if he can stay healthy, after the first month, LA will still be fine. But damn, this kid can't catch a break!

still1ballin
09-25-2010, 06:10 PM

ummmmmmmmmmm

no

shep33
09-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Honestly, I ain't too surprised or really worried for that matter. I'd rather have Bynum miss the first month or two of the season, and come back at 100% by the 2nd half of the year. Heck if he's healthy by the playoffs, and only played in the playoffs, that would be music to every Laker fan out there, considering he hasn't been healthy in the last 3 playoff runs including Finals.

shep33
09-25-2010, 06:19 PM

The Lakers have closed out the Nuggets, Magic, Thunder, Jazz, and Suns on the road in the past 2 post-seasons. Including 2 wins in Orlando in the '09 Finals.

When they need a win on the road they always get it (i.e. game 3 vs the Celtics). Even if they were 4th or 5th seed, I'd still be most afraid of that Lakers team than any other out west.

Supa
09-25-2010, 06:49 PM
So his summer vacation last until Thanksgiving, how nice.

---

Iron24th
09-25-2010, 06:53 PM
The first month of the season? Not a big deal.

IHeartNY
09-25-2010, 06:56 PM
So injury plagued, man ... don't wish that to any guy ... but, better he gets a FULL recovery and might miss half a year, than just make him half-fit too quick and getting injury problems by the last quarter of the season (incl. playoffs). Whish him all the best.

metsbulls1025
09-25-2010, 07:23 PM
This guy could have 87 leg surgeries and fans would still include him in mega deals for superstars.

Burkey3472
09-25-2010, 07:26 PM
They should just hold him out until the last month of the season when they really need him.

ShaqShoes
09-25-2010, 07:32 PM
They should try and trade him for some talent while he's young. Right now it's not a problem but his durability will start to cause serious problems once Kobe and Pau become less efficient with age in the coming years.

iggypop123
09-25-2010, 07:40 PM
so far the only lakers opponent strikes again. 3 straight yrs to finals never once healthy. this team is amazing considering they never get to play at full strength.

Tony_Starks
09-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Yeah it doesn't really even matter at this point. We went to the finals in '08 without Bynum. Then won last year with Bynum playing on one leg. As long as he can get to the playoffs in relatively good health, its going to be a wrap for the 3peat.

The only problem with a unhealthy Bynum would be if they matched up against Orlando again. Now THAT would be a major problem. Other than that its all good.....

Bulls_fan90
09-25-2010, 07:50 PM
So it turns out Andrew Bynum isn't healing as fast as he was supposed to. First he was supposed to miss training camp and hopefully be ready for the start of the season, but now he might miss the first month.

Can't say I'm surprised. This is nothing new for Bynum. I'm not sure that he will ever play a full season. I just don't see this many injury problems just disappearing as his career goes on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5614593

He played a full season in 06-07.

iggypop123
09-25-2010, 07:55 PM
they only need him for the playoffs. they will be fine.

JRisdabest
09-25-2010, 07:56 PM
They wont miss this guy.

Vidball
09-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Haha...this thread is funny. Bynum is due back late for a good reason. His medial meniscus was salvaged in the surgery--it didn't need to be removed. This means he still has cartilage in his knee and he still has his meniscus as a shock absorber for his nearly 300 lb frame. Bynum is coming back late because his meniscus didn't need to be removed, just repaired.

It was thought Bynum would have a meniscectomy (removal of the meniscus). This has a shorter recovery time (think Brandon Roy), but it is terrible for the joint and future degeneration of the joint in an athlete. Instead, Bynum was able to have a meniscus repair--this has a longer recovery time but it is definitely a better option when the cartilage can be salvaged.

Knowing that Bynum needed a repair instead of a meniscectomy is GREAT NEWS!!! Missing the first month of an 82 game season is a small price to pay for keeping that meniscus.

arkanian215
09-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Poor Baby Jersey. Folks are starting to say he won't be ready until December. Once he's healthy, he'll start tearing it up again.

jerellh528
09-25-2010, 10:03 PM
I wanna trade him for melo

RCarlson85
09-25-2010, 10:32 PM
He played a full season in 06-07.

I should have put an again in that statement, because that's what I meant. 06-07 was before all the injury problems. Since then he's missed significant time every year. I just don't see his injury problems getting better.

RCarlson85
09-25-2010, 10:35 PM
I wanna trade him for melo

You really think the Nuggets would trade a top 10 player in the league for a player who gets injured every season? I highly doubt it. I'm not sure why everyone talks about trading him while he has value. I don't know who will give up very much for a player with an injury history like Bynum's. They aren't going to get sufficient value for him. The best thing for the Lakers to do is hold onto him and hope he stays healthy sometime.

beasted86
09-25-2010, 10:39 PM
And this is the guy making $14M dollars? :pity:

The guy is making more than Andrew Bogut and he's both a weaker player and more injury prone.

Jewelz0376
09-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Same crap different year...Hopefully this year he'll missing the beginning and be healthy at the end...

ElMarroAfamado
09-25-2010, 11:06 PM

:facepalm:

and as long as he is back for the playoffs there is no prob...

Kevj77
09-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Haha...this thread is funny. Bynum is due back late for a good reason. His medial meniscus was salvaged in the surgery--it didn't need to be removed. This means he still has cartilage in his knee and he still has his meniscus as a shock absorber for his nearly 300 lb frame. Bynum is coming back late because his meniscus didn't need to be removed, just repaired.

It was thought Bynum would have a meniscectomy (removal of the meniscus). This has a shorter recovery time (think Brandon Roy), but it is terrible for the joint and future degeneration of the joint in an athlete. Instead, Bynum was able to have a meniscus repair--this has a longer recovery time but it is definitely a better option when the cartilage can be salvaged.

Knowing that Bynum needed a repair instead of a meniscectomy is GREAT NEWS!!! Missing the first month of an 82 game season is a small price to pay for keeping that meniscus.I didn't know this. So his longer recover time is because they were able to save his meniscus instead of removing it. That's worth the wait.

Nirvanaskurdt
09-26-2010, 12:08 AM
so far the only lakers opponent strikes again. 3 straight yrs to finals never once healthy. this team is amazing considering they never get to play at full strength.

yeah and every other team in the league plays with full strength :rolleyes:

IBleedPurple
09-26-2010, 12:13 AM
He'll likely be hurt almost every season, but the Lakers are plenty strong to play without him

SouljahPhil...
09-26-2010, 01:56 AM

Knowing that Bynum needed a repair instead of a meniscectomy is GREAT NEWS!!! Missing the first month of an 82 game season is a small price to pay for keeping that meniscus.

Bingo...Plus he will miss the first month due to him delaying his surgery because he had vacation in africa and he and the lakers thought he will have a different surgery not the one that was performed as said above..

Chronz
09-26-2010, 02:56 PM
And this is the guy making $14M dollars? :pity:

The guy is making more than Andrew Bogut and he's both a weaker player and more injury prone.

what makes u think bogut is the superior talent?

Khalifa21
09-26-2010, 03:15 PM
The guy is such an awful healer...

Avenged
09-26-2010, 03:55 PM
what makes u think bogut is the superior talent?

Yep, it's a shame too. His injuries are setting him back big time.