PDA

View Full Version : Does money have to do with how good a player is?

LTBaByyy
09-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Besides talent, attitude, and eager to win.... Does a player's contract have an effect on how good a player is in the fans and media's eyes??

Like Rudy Gay was one of the best up and comers in the leauge b4 his contract now he's an overpaid average player?

Or Dampier, he was the butt of all jokes and the worst player in the NBA to a lot of people on here, then when he is seeking the vet minimun a lot of people on here wanted him on their team

Or people like AK 47 if he had like a 7 or 8 million dollar contract instead of that 17 million one would he seem like a better player in yalls eyes

Just a fun thread

Thoughts??

RaJAxTWa
09-25-2010, 02:54 PM
no not at all...http://sportige.com/2009-2010-biggest-contracts/ nuff said

daleja424
09-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Thats his point... those players are considered overrated b/c they make so much money.

for instance...a guy like JO...

he is a soild big man at this point. Still can be a 15 and 10 guy.

but he looked like a sack of rocks when he was making 20+ mil a year. Now at 5 mil... he is probably a steal.

IHeartNY
09-25-2010, 03:11 PM
When we talk about, that "a Players Payment" has a huge influence on what people think of them, or how they rate them, I would say YES, definitely.

Same thing that was with Paul Millsap f.e. some time ago ... he was "cheap" compared (on paper) to others and got a bit of a hype, because of his low contract. If the Jazz would have payed him like 12 Million a year at that time, people would've called him average or something like that for what they pay ... still the same guy though.

The NBA has the trend since the last 6-7 years (at least) that players get way too easy way too overpaid ... Big Contract = Big Player won't fit anymore. And it's getting worse ...

junion
09-25-2010, 03:12 PM
money doesn't have an effect on how good a player is... but people want a bargain. if someone is being paid $20mil and is worth $15mil, he's overpaid, but if you're able to get them for $5mil, then of course you want them on your team.

also teams pay a player by how good they are, of course, but also how much that team needs that player (or position to be filled)

abe_froman
09-25-2010, 03:12 PM
it does yes,though i think it shouldnt

Hawkeye15
09-25-2010, 03:16 PM
a player who is way past his prime at the end of a deal given to him in his prime gets classified as way overpaid. A young guy who is still on rookie scale and killin it gets classified as underpaid. I think most guys in the $10+ million range are overpaid to be honest. But its up to the owner's.

kikeyanez
09-25-2010, 03:24 PM
this the best stuff ive read that makes sence in a long time

LTBaByyy
09-25-2010, 03:26 PM
If rashard lewis made 10 million I would think he is a great player

But with the money he makes I think hes average role player underacheiving since the all star game he played

LTBaByyy
09-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Or even Wes Mathews, he was good last year!!!! Being an undrafted player on a rookie contract

Now he's a 3rd string SG making like 8 mil a year

RaJAxTWa
09-25-2010, 08:17 PM
so according to my source i guess tracy mcgrady is the best player in the nba

netsgiantsyanks
09-25-2010, 08:26 PM
or better yet, does money have to do on how people percept a player?? and i say yes

ttam68
09-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Not sure you thought out what you wanted the focus or scope of this thread to be:

Does money affect the value of a player?
No

Does money affect the perception of a player?
Yes, definitely as in the examples above.

Does how good a player is affect the money he gets?
Yes, but circumstances both within a franchise and league-wide have a huge influence.

Should money affect the perception of a player?
Yes, as in some of the examples above where a player receiving a small contract (say vets minimum) is a large part of a teams success, or examples where a player is given an obnoxious amount of money but is no longer the player he was at the time of the contract signing. In these cases, the players' worth simply isn't equal to the value being assigned to them.

No, as in Rashard Lewis is still an above average power forward though he was dramatically overpaid (and fits his team's style perfectly). Its important to factor in the franchises position and options at the time of each signing and the replacement value of each position. Many teams are faced with letting go of their star players or overpaying them. While these players then have inflated salaries, if the initial franchise lets go of them, lets say, rookie scale contracts expire and extensions kick in. This leaves the franchise down a good player and without cap space.

Ultimately, it takes a broad understanding to value a player against any one metric.

bholly
09-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Yes. JO was a good example. We get it all the time in the Sixers forum with Brand (and even sometimes Iggy) too.