PDA

View Full Version : Official Game Thread: NY Rangers at NJ Devils- Lots Of New Faces Playing Tonight

SLY WILLIAMS
09-25-2010, 11:03 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/nhl/sml/nyr.gif NY Rangers vs http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/nhl/sml/njd.gif NJ Devils

7:00 PM ET, Saturday, September 25

http://cdn.nhl.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8469647.jpg http://cdn.nhl.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8471842.jpg http://cdn.nhl.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8474634.jpg http://cdn.nhl.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8473576.jpg http://cdn.nhl.com/rangers/v2/photos/mugs/8475118.jpg

Forward Lines:

Fedotenko-White-Callahan
Byers-Anisimov-Grachev
Avery-Kennedy-J. Williams
Boogaard-Newbury-Weise.

Dman pairs:

Del Zotto-Eminger
Semenov-Valentenko
Exelby-Gilroy

Lundy in net.

nyanks79
09-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Lots of new faces, but no Redden. So Im happy. PLayers Im gonna watch is AA and Grachev. I like how there on the same line.

beast023
09-25-2010, 12:03 PM
yea i wanna see wut they can do 2gether

SLY WILLIAMS
09-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Only a few guys playing tonight played last game. I hope Gilroy plays well. I really have high hopes for him. :)

SLY WILLIAMS
09-25-2010, 06:49 PM
It’s Go Time!

September

The first night of Life after Redden begins tonight with this forewarning from me:

And I’ve said this about the captain, and I’ll say this about Michal Rozsival, and others. If the contract hadn’t been so obscene, we probably wouldn’t look at Wade Redden this way.

If it wasn’t so out-of-whack, this wouldn’t be necessary. I don’t honestly believe the Rangers have six better defensemen than Wade Redden, or at least not much better. If he was making $2.5M per, he’d make the team and play a lot, if not every night.

That said, it’s good and right that he’s been expunged, because he stunk a lot of nights during his ill-fated, never-should-have-happened Rangers tenure. And we all knew it was wrong right from the start, didn’t we? A lot of his stinking was from his own lack of effort or care, too.

PS, I love all those people who said they’d never do this, when anybody with half a brain (and that includes me, I guess) knew they would. You think eating that money makes MSG suits blink? Have you even heard of the Knicks?
—————————————
Tonight’s lineup vs. Devils, per Andrew Gross:

Ruslan Fedotenko-Todd White-Ryan Callahan
Sean Avery-Tim Kennedy-Jeremy Williams
Dane Byers-Artem Anisimov-Evgeny Grachev
Derek Boogaard-Kris Newbury-Dale Weise
Michael Del Zotto-Steve Eminger
Garnet Exelby-Matt Gilroy
Alexei Semenov-Pavel Valentenko
Henrik Lundqvist, Chad Johnson

So we’re definitely looking at some fireworks, with Boogaard getting another shot at LeBlond, who declined the fight him Thursday, and with Avery making his debut needing to also make an impression, and the Devils dressing Clarkson. We can only hope.http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2010/09/25/its-go-time-33/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RangersReport+%28Rangers+Repo rt%29&utm_content=Twitter

commonsense12
09-25-2010, 07:28 PM
I still think we have at least 6 better dmen then redden. I personally would rather see Staal, Girardi, Gilroy, MDZ, MCD, Rozy, Exelby, semenov and Sauer before i see Redden on the ice.

In terms of this game i am curious on how well be can score with our B players.

Should be fun.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Lablond shying away from Boogs again. Nice to have a guy that is feared a bit.

commonsense12
09-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Lablond shying away from Boogs again. Nice to have a guy that is feared a bit.

I know i love it. Love how chico is saying that he cant fight Boogs because its a huge mismatch haha.

nyanks79
09-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I dont care if its preseason. I hate the Devils. Kovy is such a *****.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-25-2010, 08:55 PM
I think that goal was Gilroys not Averys. That should help Matt. :)

SLY WILLIAMS
09-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Boogard saying do not touch our goalie. :)

SLY WILLIAMS
09-25-2010, 09:11 PM
LOL Boogard gets up and the other guys get quiet.

Even Chico says what are you going to say to Boogard? :)

mmmrevolver93
09-25-2010, 09:41 PM
great third period and OT. Callahan, anisimov, fedetenko and delzotto looked good tonight. Lundy was a little shaky early but then again its preseason and the starting d wasnt in front of him. it seemed to me that after the first period white was moved down and anisimov went to the first line. IMO fedetenko makes this team.

YankeeFanAlways
09-25-2010, 09:51 PM
great third period and OT. Callahan, anisimov, fedetenko and delzotto looked good tonight. Lundy was a little shaky early but then again its preseason and the starting d wasnt in front of him. it seemed to me that after the first period white was moved down and anisimov went to the first line. IMO fedetenko makes this team.

He might be the point man with the rocket shot for our PP that we've been looking for. :clap:

letsgorangers27
09-25-2010, 09:55 PM
great day for me redden gets cut and we win!!! i like how this team is looking. fedotanko can make the team if he keeps up the pace. i was a little disappointed cause i didnt notice grachev much during the game. love the fights and how they were sticking up for eachother. the way we've looked these 2 games(obviously its preseason but) we should be a playoff team. **** kovalchuk hes a *****

mmmrevolver93
09-25-2010, 10:32 PM
great day for me redden gets cut and we win!!! i like how this team is looking. fedotanko can make the team if he keeps up the pace. i was a little disappointed cause i didnt notice grachev much during the game. love the fights and how they were sticking up for eachother. the way we've looked these 2 games(obviously its preseason but) we should be a playoff team. **** kovalchuk hes a *****

i hate to say itt but kovalchuk would beat the **** out of avery. but the way avery gets to kovy is soo funny lol

Redfish
09-25-2010, 11:10 PM
I did not see the game (ugh!) but apparently the consensus is Valentenko looked excellent, and Semenov looked good as well. We desperately need some grit and downright mean play behind the blue line and Vakentenko seems to bring that, without stupid penalties (i.e., Exelby).

How did Gilroy look overall? I know he scored but other than that squeeker that got through, how did he play?

Are we looking at McDonagh, Valentenko and Semenov as 5, 6, and 7 d-men opening night?

I just want the best players and would be thrilled if these three won these spots.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Gilroy played well. Torts was happy with him

mmmrevolver93
09-26-2010, 10:10 AM
I did not see the game (ugh!) but apparently the consensus is Valentenko looked excellent, and Semenov looked good as well. We desperately need some grit and downright mean play behind the blue line and Vakentenko seems to bring that, without stupid penalties (i.e., Exelby).

How did Gilroy look overall? I know he scored but other than that squeeker that got through, how did he play?

Are we looking at McDonagh, Valentenko and Semenov as 5, 6, and 7 d-men opening night?

I just want the best players and would be thrilled if these three won these spots.

I personally am a big fan of gilroys. he played well last night. He played good d and he looked sharp on the PP. I dont think valentenko makes the team right out of camp. Im gilroy messes up during the year i expect him to come up tho.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Funniest question of the night goes to the Daily News’ Jesse Spector, who asked John Tortorella if he was going to continue not practicing the power play on the ice. The Rangers scored four power-play goals despite only having off-ice meetings about special teams without actually having practiced them.

With both of last year’s rookie defensemen, Michael Del Zotto and Matt Gilroy, dressing, Tortorella used the two together on the points for the power play. The result? Del Zotto scored the winner 52 seconds into overtime off a feed from Ryan Callahan - Del Zotto was open near the left faceoff circle and fired quickly as Johan Hedberg tried to dive across -and added three assists, all with the man advantage. Gilroy had a power-play goal and set up Ruslan Fedotenko’s tying goal at 12:33 of the third period.

“We actually didn’t have too many chances but the chances we did have, we capitalized on,” Del Zotto said. “(Gilroy) moves the puck well and is a good skater. You can see the chemistry right there.”

“It worked,” Gilroy added. “The first period was pretty ugly but we seemed to reach off of each other pretty well.”

But what pleased Tortorella most about his pair of sophomores was Gilroy’s defensive effort and Del Zotto’s ability to bounce back from a tough start - his turnover led to Ilya Kovalchuk’s goal at 2:51 of the first period and another turnover nearly led to a David Clarkson goal later on.

The coaching staff hounded Gilroy about his defensive play last season, saying he did not challenge skaters well enough. It was evident from the early going that Gilroy had tightened up his defensive efforts.

“He knows what we harped on him last year, he’s really trying to defend harder and those two guys, they can move the puck, that’s one of Gilly’s strengths,” Tortorella said. “I think he’s really making an attempt to defend the puck away and defend consistently. He doesn’t always get there and he doesn’t always do it right but he’s making a much more conscious effort to try and do that.”

“I had a long summer to tighten up,” Gilroy said. “They told me what to do and I went home and did it. The first period was a little get-out-of-the-lab mode and get-into-hockey mode. It’s just nice to play hockey again.”

Earlier in the day, Gilroy got a firsthand look at what happens to players who are not playing up to what the Rangers want (and who have huge contracts when the Rangers are over the salary cap) as Wade Redden was waived. Redden and Gilroy were a fairly constant defensive pair last season.

“It can happen to anyone,” Gilroy said. “Especially a great guy like Reds. I’ve got nothing but respect for him.”

As for Del Zotto, Tortorella repeated that he wants his second-year player to play with confidence, but not get overconfident.

“I worry about him every minute of the day,” Tortorella said. “We know he has that. He’s not afraid, that’s what great about it. When I talk, it’s not a negative on Michael. It’s just knowing how to prepare all the time. It’s just being consistent and taking what teams give him. We felt he had that him, he just needs to contain it, play within himself.”

Actually, what may have worried Del Zotto was his nose, after he had cartilage surgery just before training camp. He did not wear the full plastic shield he’s worn in scrimmages and practices and, naturally, he took an elbow to the nose on his first shift.

“Nothing happened,” Del Zotto said. “A little watery eyes. That’s a good sign.”

Not so much as the chemistry they showed together on the power play.
Posted by Andrew Gross on 09/25 at 10:14 PMhttp://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/comments/rangers_5_devils_4_ot_dz_gilly_and_the_pp/

commonsense12
09-26-2010, 02:09 PM
I took a few things from this game.

Avery really had a great game. That 3rd period he had all the Devils going crazy. He took them completly off there game. Another thing i did notice is that he got screwed on the Clarkson fight, he was an extra man in and should have been thrown out or at least get a penalty. Kind of BS if you ask me. Not fair if they just decide not to call stuff because its Avery.

Cally had a great game also and looks like he could have a great year. Micheletti said he looks for him to score 30 this year. That would be sweet.

Speaking of Micheletti, anyone hear him give it to Chico? Chico to me is always the worst homer of an announcer and he was giving him crap the whole time. Busting Avery for not fighting clarkson but saying it was ok for Leblond to not fight Boogs. It was actually pretty funny to hear Chico get crap from someone for a change.

Fedotenko looked good, but does anyone know if he can play RW? We are pretty deep on LW with Frolov, Prosp, Dubi, Avery, Kennedy, Boogs and Drury. Now i know Drury, Prosp, Dubi and Kennedy can all play Center, but then we will have a logjam at Center.

I dunno i think after every game i see players i want to make the team and then i realize that there is just not enough spots. This game Fedotenko, Gilroy, Avery, Kennedy, Semenov and Valentenko really stood out to me. Players like Grachev, White, Eminger and Exelby didnt impress me as much as i would have liked.

Cant wait for todays game.

bsi
09-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Ya know, this is exactly what I was talking about before with Avery, if he's playing the Devils he's on his game, I'd like to see him do this 82 times over the regular season. Sadly the only games he showed up for last year involved Dallas and the Devils. However, I do think he's getting the message that he can be replaced at any time.

commonsense12
09-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Ya know, this is exactly what I was talking about before with Avery, if he's playing the Devils he's on his game, I'd like to see him do this 82 times over the regular season. Sadly the only games he showed up for last year involved Dallas and the Devils. However, I do think he's getting the message that he can be replaced at any time.

I agree when he plays his game he is a game changer. I do wonder if having no big bodies last year affected him. 2 years ago he had Orr and this year he Boogs. We were a pretty weak team last year and we would get smacked around sometimes, i dont see that happening this year at all.