PDA

View Full Version : Erick Dampier won't get Heat contract

Fireworld
09-24-2010, 07:02 PM
MIAMI -- (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5612296)The Miami Heat have decided not to offer a contract to free agent center Erick Dampier, who worked out for the team earlier this week.

Heat president Pat Riley said the team was intrigued by the possibility of adding the 35-year-old Dampier, who has spent the past 14 seasons in the league. Dampier played the last six seasons in Dallas, and was the Mavericks' starter when that team lost to Miami in the 2006 NBA finals.

Miami decided not to move forward because it already has Joel Anthony, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Jamaal Magloire and rookie Dexter Pittman signed at center.

Dampier became a free agent after his $13 million contract for this season was voided by the Charlotte Bobcats last week. He has had interest from several other clubs.

I guess they won't sign him. Can we trust this is true??

soundjunkies2
09-24-2010, 07:15 PM
They should really sign him because they are really weak at the center position. A position just about every contender is strong at.

abe_froman
09-24-2010, 07:16 PM
seriously??? they really should have

kjoke
09-24-2010, 07:16 PM
were too stacked, and have no room for him :)

godolphins
09-24-2010, 07:17 PM
:clap: Miami pulled out before they got rejected

TylerSL
09-24-2010, 07:24 PM
damnit he woulda been such a good fit, Dampier is good defensive center that we really could use :(

but who knows :shrug: maybe he is overweight or somthing because he worked out with the Heat before they decided not to offer him a contract, I sure hope not because he is still a good center.

RCarlson85
09-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Wow, that's surprising if it's true. I could have seen Damp rejecting the Heat because he wanted more money, but I didn't see the Heat not wanting him. There must be some reason for it beyond just that they have 4 centers already. Maybe he's not in shape or there's some injury concern. Otherwise he certainly seems like he would be a better option than Z or Magloire.

Wade>You
09-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Well, it's not like Howard didn't drop 11ppg in 4 games against us last season. The Heat's defense knows how to get stops on low post players. It's PGs that give us fits.

RCarlson85
09-24-2010, 08:02 PM
he got traded? Last I checked there were still a lot of issues in the trade?

Not yet, but it's getting closer in case you haven't watched sports center or gone to any sports websites today. There's no mention of the bulls either, sorry to break it to you. The bulls had their chance, but weren't willing to give up Noah to get him for some reason.

So you think that if the Bulls got Damp than they would be ok to trade Noah? You must not think very highly of Noah if he can be replaced by Damp.

Bulls_fan90
09-24-2010, 08:03 PM
:clap: Miami pulled out before they got rejected

Pretty much.

dhopisthename
09-24-2010, 08:05 PM
I was surprised that we pulled out, but after reading some articles basically wade wanted maglore on the team, we weren't going to cut howard, and lebron wanted z on the team which left no room unless we carried way to many centers and I wouldn't want to cut pittman for him

daleja424
09-24-2010, 08:06 PM
The report as I heard it is that Damp wanted to sign yesterday but Pat asked for a day to think about it...and he came back today and said the HEAT decided not to offer a contract. The HEAT decided it's commitment to Z, Jamaal Magloire, and Pittman were more important.

Wade>You
09-24-2010, 08:07 PM
The report as I heard it is that Damp wanted to sign yesterday but Pat asked for a day to think about it...and he came back today and said the HEAT decided not to offer a contract. The HEAT decided it's commitment to Z, Jamaal Magloire, and Pittman were more important.I don't remember your stance on Damp. Did you want him on the team?

daleja424
09-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Yes. I think Damp would have upgraded the team for the simple fact that he is a more mobile and more productive version of Magloire.

But I also have to trust Pat Riley at this point...

dnewguy
09-24-2010, 08:20 PM
I wasn't too big on Dampier anyways. I don't know why a back up for Diop get so much attention.

Derick713
09-24-2010, 08:32 PM
If the lack of size costs the Heat a title the blame will fall on Riley for passing on Shaquille O'Neal and Erick Dampier. You have to know that Pat Riley did not want Jermaine O'Neal and Shaquille O'Neal to sign with the Celtics. That kind size and length is rare for any team to have. Kevin Garnett may get enough rest this season with both O'Neal's. Garnett will also be fully healed.

daleja424
09-24-2010, 08:36 PM
The difference between Damier and Magloire is not going to cost Miami a title. The HEAT may need an upgrade inside (the remains to be seen)...but Dampier was not a difference maker.

godolphins
09-24-2010, 08:47 PM
The difference between Damier and Magloire is not going to cost Miami a title. The HEAT may need an upgrade inside (the remains to be seen)...but Dampier was not a difference maker.

He would of gave Miami the size and strength they need to go against Howard, Bynum and other big physical centers.

daleja424
09-24-2010, 08:48 PM
he does not have anymore strength, size, or physicality than Magloire though. He is better than Magloire... but he doesnt offer THAT MUCH more than Magloire. Dampier is not the piece that would make or break this HEAT season.

masalex1205
09-24-2010, 09:12 PM
I wasn't too big on Dampier anyways. I don't know why a back up for Diop get so much attention.

b/c he wasn't a backup for Diop

daleja424
09-24-2010, 09:20 PM
he was at times actually...

TheBomb255
09-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Dampier is now considering Houston and Milwaukee.

Free agent center Erick Dampier is now considering Houston and Milwaukee, a source tells FanHouse. Bucks only have minimum salary though.

http://twitter.com/samickAOL/status/25453365795

PG: Brandon Jennings/Keyon Dooling
SG: John Salmons/Chris-Douglas Roberts
SF: Carlos Delfino/Corey Maggette/Luc Richard
PF: Drew Gooden/Larry Sanders/Ersan
C: Andrew Bogut/Erik Dampier/Jon Brockman

Hell of a team.

BlondeBomber41
09-25-2010, 01:58 AM
He would of been a upgrade over any center they currently have. He gets alot of **** because he was on that big contract but the fact is he is a really solid center who can defend well, get rebounds and blocks and finish if he can catch the ball.

mynameismo
09-25-2010, 02:17 AM
Good news.. for us other contenders. lol.

Vet Bigs will be available before Trade deadline anyways. Pat will probably want to see what the team can do first.

Fireworld
09-25-2010, 03:21 AM

This.

jimbobjarree
09-25-2010, 03:26 AM
I hope that if the Jazz are involved in the melo trade, we then use some of those savings on signing Dampier

Fmaranesi
09-25-2010, 07:53 AM
In my opinion, If the Heat signed Dampier then the Heat would have had to get rid of Big Z.

I just don't see enough minutes for a 3-man center rotation and Big Z would have been the odd man out, if they got rid of Big Z then that would have made them look like a terrible organization and no one would want to sign there.

That of course is only my speculation , but as a Heat fan I personally would have wanted Dampier because more size is always better.

It's too bad we aren't signing him, some other contending team is going to come in and sweep him off and they are going to have themselves a really good although older, back up center.

Corey
09-25-2010, 08:26 AM
I want him on the C's.

NBA-GMaster
09-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Mavs is a possibility too.. Chandler and Dampier as a backup PF and C..

Heater4life
09-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Although im shocked by the move, theres reasoning behind it. if we would have signed him and released Magloire. It would have been Anthony, Z, and Dampier at center, with one player getting left with no minutes. Add in Bosh at center for 5-10 a game, and you realize how crowded it would be.

29$JerZ
09-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Big Z and Anthony should be decent enough Centers for Miami because of size and shot blocking respectively. However at this point in time Dampier > both Magloire and Pittman.
Wouldn't hurt to sign him, injuries do happen.

dannybfast24
09-25-2010, 11:31 AM
out of all the teams who should sign him , the hawks could use him more then anyone else

Antipod
09-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Strange... i think Dampier is better than any center they have now. Plus, 1y vet. min. deal is not a big of a risk.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-25-2010, 12:00 PM
They are dumbasses.

They should have released some of their other guys for him.

1 injury to Bosh and they are messed up.

daleja424
09-25-2010, 12:08 PM
They are dumbasses.

Udonis Haslem...??? He has been a starter on a contender and was a starter for 7 years in Miami...

Raps18-19 Champ
09-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Udonis Haslem...??? He has been a starter on a contender and was a starter for 7 years in Miami...

I know that.

But a Haslem/Dampier frontcourt is a big upgrade from a Haslem/Anthony frontcourt if Bosh is injured.

justinnum1
09-25-2010, 12:11 PM
They are dumbasses.

:facepalm:

fantasytensai
09-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Just...lol at all the people thinking that they are smarter than Pat Riley.

ClayMatthews
09-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Cant wait for him to be in a bucks uniform. Sign the contract dampier

Raps18-19 Champ
09-25-2010, 12:56 PM
:facepalm:

Cuz I'm pretty sure a Haslem/Anthony front court can hold it's own.

I stand with what I said.

If Bosh is injured, their front court doesn't stand a chance against all front courts.

Lakeshow86
09-25-2010, 02:08 PM
They have too many bigmen as it is on the roster. They have 7 bigmen if you count PF/C Bosh, Haslem and Howard as well. Dampier would make 8 bigmen on one team. The lakers for example only have 5 on their roster.

ElMarroAfamado
09-25-2010, 02:13 PM
were too stacked, and have no room for him :)
here we go

kjoke
09-25-2010, 02:21 PM
here we go
what? we dont have room for him, hes looking to play big minutes and have a secured spot, heat wernt willing to do that,, so they didnt offer him a contract. Its safe to say the heat felt as if adding him would be a bad addition and create a log jam at the center position. With damp in, one or more players were gonna get less minutes and damps not worth that

kjoke
09-25-2010, 02:23 PM
They are dumbasses.

i dont know about that, haslme is a great fill in and a great back up, plus we got howard way in the back wo recently came of a good season with the blazers. osh is irreplaceable but the bleeding could be stoped with haslem and howard

Asham
09-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Heat need to bring back Alonzo from retirement

J_M_B
09-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I know that.

But a Haslem/Dampier frontcourt is a big upgrade from a Haslem/Anthony frontcourt if Bosh is injured.

Dexter Pittman may be ready to contibute earlier than expected..

Dexter would fit the same role as Dampier, a big body that takes up space in the middle. Pittman has a 7'6'' wingspan and a 9'3" reach, plus the biggest hands in the draft.

Did you ever think that maybe LeBron and Wade wanted to protect their guys? If Miami signed Dampier, then Big Z would become the third string center(LeBron's friend) and Jamaal Magloire(Wade's friend) likely would be released. The big three, want this team to gel together and have good chemistry. That's why players like Shaq, McGrady, and Iverson weren't contacted to join this team.

TylerSL
09-25-2010, 02:34 PM
They are dumbasses.

:facepalm: x100

J_M_B
09-25-2010, 02:38 PM

Instead of just facepalming him, you should give an agrument that supports why he is wrong..

This is why Miami fans are hated in this forum.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-25-2010, 02:42 PM
i dont know about that, haslme is a great fill in and a great back up, plus we got howard way in the back wo recently came of a good season with the blazers. osh is irreplaceable but the bleeding could be stoped with haslem and howard

Yea but Haslem and someone like Anthony is not going to stand a chance agaisn't most front courts in the NBA.

That's why at least Dampier and Haslem can hold their own on defense.

omdigga
09-25-2010, 02:43 PM
im gonna have to agree with riley on this one.. who could doubt him at this point.

but is damp really an upgrade to what the heat already have? even if he is slightly better than maglore or Z, not gonna make a difference..

big Z seems to be the weakest link, but he keeps bron happy.. so hes more valuable than damp...

Raps18-19 Champ
09-25-2010, 02:44 PM

Really?

You are delusional if you think Haslem and Anthony can hold the fron court by themselves.

You can say that all you want but if Bosh gets injured, their front court stands no chance against most, if not all, against other front courts in the league.

jrodmesche
09-25-2010, 02:54 PM

this is dumb we could have really used him. and Dnewguy your an embarrisment to heat fans:facepalm:

J_M_B
09-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Really?

You are delusional if you think Haslem and Anthony can hold the fron court by themselves.

You can say that all you want but if Bosh gets injured, their front court stands no chance against most, if not all, against other front courts in the league.

Yes, I actually think both of them can hold down the front court. Maybe, not offensively, but they wouldn't need to score with Wade, LeBron, and Miller providing the offense.

Haslem is the best blue collar player in the NBA. Great offensive rebounder, and an above average defender. Udonis has that mid-range jumper that seems to be automatic. Joel Anthony is just a phenomenal all around defender. Great help defender, top shot blocker in this league, and hold his ground against bigger opponents, despite his size.

None of these guys need the ball. Both Anthony and Haslem are two very solid role players.

kjoke
09-25-2010, 02:57 PM
the thing is ANY time you remove a top player on a team ur gonna be left with a hole there. For example same can be said for gasol on the lakers

J_M_B
09-25-2010, 02:59 PM
the thing is ANY time you remove a top player on a team ur gonna be left with a hole there. For example same can be said for gasol on the lakers

Good agrument, but bad example.

Lamar Odom would still cause headaches for many teams.

fantasytensai
09-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Really?

You can say that all you want but if Kobe gets injured, the Laker team stands no chance against most, if not all other teams in the league.

You can say that all you want but if Dwight gets injured, the Magic front court stands no chance against most, if not all other front courts in the league.

You can say that all you want but if Derrick Rose gets injured, the Bulls backcourt stands no chance against most, if not all other backcourts in the league.

You can say that all you want but if Mo Williams gets injured, well...it doesn't really matter.

justinnum1
09-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Really?

:facepalm: You really have no clue what your talking about.

daleja424
09-25-2010, 03:36 PM
enough of this. why do you always have to turn this into a HEAT fans vs everyone else debate on how good the HEAt are? HEAT fans... you have your opinion. You do not need everyone else to see it your way. Leave it alone. And fans of other teams...why do you feel the need to constantly egg HEAT fans on by trying to point out every little thing you dont like about the HEAT? We can all agree on one thing...there is one month until it all starts and we get to see for ourselves. Until then, cut the pointless banter.

Storch
09-25-2010, 03:47 PM
enough of this. why do you always have to turn this into a HEAT fans vs everyone else debate on how good the HEAt are? HEAT fans... you have your opinion. You do not need everyone else to see it your way. Leave it alone. And fans of other teams...why do you feel the need to constantly egg HEAT fans on by trying to point out every little thing you dont like about the HEAT? We can all agree on one thing...there is one month until it all starts and we get to see for ourselves. Until then, cut the pointless banter.

Heat fans aren't as innocent as you claim them to be. They are part of the problem.

daleja424
09-25-2010, 03:49 PM
I didnt claim they were... They let themselves be baited into these fights and do their own baiting as well. The point is...it needs to stop.