PDA

View Full Version : Kobe is no longer a serious MVP contender

oldenpolynice
09-24-2010, 03:02 PM
From the article 5 Reasons Kevin Durant Will Win NBA MVP in 2011:

http://youbeenblinded.com/5-reasons-kevin-durant-will-win-mvp-in-2011/9309

5. Kobe isnít a serious contender anymore

I know, I know. Iím going to get heat for this. But itís true. Last season, Kobe posted his worst PER (21.9) in 10 years and his lowest win share score (9.4) in five. He finished third in MVP voting and received zero (thatís right, zero) first place votes. The year before that, he finished second in MVP voting and received just two first place votes (five fewer than Dwyane Wade).

This is not to say Kobe isnít still the most feared, most accomplished player in the NBA. He is. Itís more a reflection on the quality of his teammates (Pau Gasol in particular) and the nagging injuries that have bothered him for years.

Granted, he took more time off this summer than he has in years but the fact remains he has over 37,000 minutes on his NBA odometer (not including playoffs and international play) and heís not the athletic interior presence he once was (which means fewer and fewer high percentage looks).

His will is still strong Ė make that the strongest. If he set his mind to it, Kobe could terrorize the league every night and put up MVP-type numbers. But he doesnít want to be that player anymore. Heís learned that heís better when he subjugates himself for the better of the team. As such, heís not a serious MVP threat anymore. With him and LeBron out of the way, itís Durantís trophy to lose.

Hellcrooner
09-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Probably.
Ithappens when you have another top 10 player in th tea,m.

Bt hey at last it gives you RINGS.
Im sure Barkley woudl change his mvp for a ring.

oldenpolynice
09-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Probably.
Ithappens when you have another top 10 player in th tea,m.

Bt hey at last it gives you RINGS.
Im sure Barkley woudl change his mvp for a ring.

Absolutely.

COBY KARL
09-24-2010, 03:13 PM
The only way i see Durant getting MVP is if the OKC can manage to get the 2nd seed, maybe even the 3rd.

oldenpolynice
09-24-2010, 03:17 PM
The only way i see Durant getting MVP is if the OKC can manage to get the 2nd seed, maybe even the 3rd.

I think the 3rd seed is a definite possibility for them. Lakers and Mavs finish 1 and 2. Denver falls off if Melo leaves, Portland is susceptible to the injury bug, Phoenix gets worse with losing Amar'e and the Jazz have adjustments to make with a new front line. It's definitely possible for Thunder to get No. 3.

PrettyBoyJ
09-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Def. right Durant is the heavy favorite to win, I think Kobe doesn't focus about that anymore , sure he has only 1 but his place in history is already set, what is there left to prove..

desertlakeshow
09-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Kobe was injured last season for most of it. Look at his stats before the injury and they were some of his best.

Kobe could very easily win MVP this year.

still1ballin
09-24-2010, 03:22 PM
I don't even think Kobe cares at this point. As long as he is hosting the main prize in June, he could care less.

Finals MVP > Regular Season MVP

still1ballin
09-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Kobe was injured last season for most of it. Look at his stats before the injury and they were some of his best.

Kobe could very easily win MVP this year.

Good point. For the first quarter of the season Kobe was #1 in MVP. Once suffered those injuries his performance shot down a bit.

iggypop123
09-24-2010, 03:27 PM
the media hates kobe. no way he would get their support anyways. that one yr they had to admit they were wrong and gave it to him. thats as much as they will do.

JordansBulls
09-24-2010, 03:33 PM
the media hates kobe. no way he would get their support anyways. that one yr they had to admit they were wrong and gave it to him. thats as much as they will do.

People need to stop saying the media is against Kobe. The media loves Kobe. They may not love him as much as other former stars but the man came into the league with a bunch of love. He only had a dry spell during the court trial and his trade demand.

richiesaurus310
09-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Id like to see durant win it

Kevj77
09-24-2010, 03:59 PM
People need to stop saying the media is against Kobe. The media loves Kobe. They may not love him as much as other former stars but the man came into the league with a bunch of love. He only had a dry spell during the court trial and his trade demand.Don't confuse media attention with love. He is Kobe so he gets in the news, but tons of media people hate on Kobe. Kobe is almost like Barry Bonds the media had to cover Bonds and they hated his guts.

sp1derm00
09-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I remember before his injury, Kobe was putting up around 30ppg at just below 50% FG%. He was displaying his post moves while Pau was out. It was Bynum and Kobe in the post, Odom on the wing, and it worked well.

Kobe healthy, is still fully capable of putting up MVP type numbers while playing within the system and utilizing his teammates.

Chacarron
09-24-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm sure Kobe cares more about Finals MVPs than regular season MVPs at this point in his career. There is nothing more important than winning championships.

Sandman
09-24-2010, 04:54 PM
not a contender is a little extreme.

jackdawson
09-24-2010, 05:05 PM
MVP= Best player from the Best record team. Ask Kobe (2005-06) and Wade (2008-09). They will tell you how true it is. Durant has a shot at it but my top three bets are on Wade, LeBron, and Kobe.

x_notorious
09-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Who cares about being the regular season MVP. The last 10 MVP winners didn't win a championship and that's what it's all about. Finals MVP, FTW!

GOON MUSIC
09-24-2010, 05:26 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

GOON MUSIC
09-24-2010, 05:27 PM
MVP= Best player from the Best record team. Ask Kobe (2005-06) and Wade (2008-09). They will tell you how true it is. Durant has a shot at it but my top three bets are on Wade, LeBron, and Kobe.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

kylem4711
09-24-2010, 05:29 PM
cant wait until he retires

NYYCowboys
09-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Finals MVP is def not > than regular season MVP sorry Kobe homers.

iggypop123
09-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Finals MVP is def not > than regular season MVP sorry Kobe homers.

i dont think they said its better but they prefer it.

JordansBulls
09-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Who cares about being the regular season MVP. The last 10 MVP winners didn't win a championship and that's what it's all about. Finals MVP, FTW!

Duncan in 2003.

RaiderLakersA's
09-24-2010, 05:56 PM
i dont think they said its better but they prefer it.

I think players would prefer a Finals MVP, too, because it usually means -- Jerry West notwithstanding -- that they won the whole enchilada.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-24-2010, 06:08 PM
how do the OKC thunder mysteriously jump from 8th seed to 2nd or 3rd seed? its very hard to make that jump when you havent added any key pieces to your team. the development of one superstar player doesnt make your team that much better.

JordansBulls
09-24-2010, 06:10 PM
how do the OKC thunder mysteriously jump from 8th seed to 2nd or 3rd seed? its very hard to make that jump when you havent added any key pieces to your team. the development of one superstar player doesnt make your team that much better.

Didn't the Lakers do the same and the Suns? Suns in 2004 were 29-53 and the next year with Nash only they went 62-20.

Lakers were the 7th seed in 2007 and in 2008 with no changes other than Fisher they were a top 3 team for 1/3 of the season until they got Gasol.

CountSackula
09-24-2010, 06:10 PM
So then this year's MVP is Durant's to lose? I wouldn't mind seeing him as MVP.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Didn't the Lakers do the same and the Suns? Suns in 2004 were 29-53 and the next year with Nash only they went 62-20.

Lakers were the 7th seed in 2007 and in 2008 with no changes other than Fisher they were a top 3 team for 1/3 of the season until they got Gasol.

lakers had the addition of Pau Gasol. and the NON INJURED BYNUM playing for the first half of the season.

suns added nash in 2004 to pair up with amare and joe johnson n co. which is why they became so good.

kobebabe
09-24-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't even think Kobe cares at this point. As long as he is hosting the main prize in June, he could care less.

Finals MVP > Regular Season MVP

great mind think alike

jackdawson
09-24-2010, 06:29 PM

Plus how much better can you get in a year? He already made his biggest jump last year. It wouldn't be that easy to produce to another 30 ppg year specially when Westbrook/Harden/others are supposed to be ready to take some offensive loads off of Durant.

Hawkeye15
09-24-2010, 06:51 PM
its like I am reading one of my own posts. Everyone here knows how I feel about Kobe. He WAS the best player in the NBA at one point. That ship has sailed.

Avenged
09-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Look at all the Laker fans say who cares because Finals MVP is more important :laugh2:

Rep our boy. :up:

kArSoN RyDaH
09-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Plus how much better can you get in a year? He already made his biggest jump last year. It wouldn't be that easy to produce to another 30 ppg year specially when Westbrook/Harden/others are supposed to be ready take some offensive loads off of Durant.

yea they make it seem as if he is going to score 35+ ppg. which isnt going to happen and if it does they arent going to win anything in the playoffs. his scoring will go down in my opinion.

Bruno
09-24-2010, 07:06 PM
You don't have to be the best player in the NBA to win the MVP. If that were the case Shaq would have about five.

Lucky Junior
09-24-2010, 09:03 PM
You are crazy! I think Kobe is the favorite going into this year! The best player on the best team is almost always automatically a contender for the MVP... and Wade and James teaming up is going to take away from a lot of their votes unless one of them gets hurt. As long as the Lakers are the #1 seed in the west, and Kobe is healthy all year, expect him to win the MVP!

Jewelz0376
09-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Durant
Kobe
Lebron
Wade
D12
Dirk

I can't see anyone order than 1 of those 6 winning mvp and even Dirk or D12 are longshots..In order for Kobe to win mvp the lakers would have to finish with the best record in the lg, which is def possible.

Eagles4Lyfe
09-24-2010, 09:27 PM
who cares lmao kobe moved on to bigger things finals mvp:p

LAcowBOMBER
09-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Kobe might not win, but without injuries and them being the favorites out West it is not ridiculous to see him win it.

It certainly is ridiculous to say he's not a contender. He will finish in the top 4 unless he completely falls off this year

Raoul Duke
09-24-2010, 11:06 PM
I like OKC too, but people need to lay off the kool-aid.

dfritz03
09-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Woah, to say Kobe won't win MVP is one thing (and I do think Durant will take it this season), but to say he's not in contention anymore is a stretch. Kobe is still on that level and just because he isn't putting up 30 a game anymore doesn't mean he won't finish in the top three, and I guarantee he does.

nanablvd
09-24-2010, 11:29 PM
it all depends on OKC's record this year.

numba1CHANGsta
09-24-2010, 11:43 PM
So this article is basically saying...

Kobe+65 wins=No MVP
Durant+50wins=MVP

hmm interesting.... :facepalm:

IBleedPurple
09-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Kobe is my first choice for MVP.....just sayin. I don't necessarily like it, but it's how I see it.

Wilson
09-25-2010, 12:08 AM

It's not just Kevin Durant. Look at the age of some of their key players:

Cole Aldrich - 21
Russell Westbrook - 21
Jeff Green - 24
James Harden - 21
Serge Ibaka - 21
Eric Maynor - 23
Thabo Sefolosha - 26

That's a lot of young guys who are likely going to improve.

I would still be surprised if the Thunder finished second in the west, but they will improve. When you factor that in with the media's likely unwillingness to vote Kobe or LeBron MVP, an MVP award for Kevin Durant would not be surprising at all.

Sandman
09-25-2010, 01:24 AM
Plus how much better can you get in a year? He already made his biggest jump last year. It wouldn't be that easy to produce to another 30 ppg year specially when Westbrook/Harden/others are supposed to be ready take some offensive loads off of Durant.

Its never easy to put up a 30 point year.

Aside from personal skill, you got teammates and opponents that will always want a piece of that.

Thats what makes players great.

Durant is the youngest scoring champ ever. He had a big summer for Team USA. All eyes are on him to see what he will do this year.

I wouldnt be surprised to see him score less because of the reasons you mentioned, but he's already the youngest scoring champ ever. He's already doing things that haven't been done before. This season for KD will define where he is on the list of top players in the NBA.

dodie53
09-25-2010, 01:32 AM
lebron will 3peat

Tony_Starks
09-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Kobe is going to be well rested for the first time in a long time so I look for mvp numbers. Unfortunately because he's Kobe that won't be enough. In order for him to win it again he'll have to be so head and shoulders distinguished from the rest that haters have no choice but to give it to him.

But hell maybe not, he did that a few seasons ago and they STILL gave it to Nash!

IHeartNY
09-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Thread-Title is wrong, it should be:

Kobe Bryant is always a serious MVP contender.

/thread

THE MTL
09-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Well he's the best player on the best team in the West. I would say that makes him one by default. He will always be in the running but I say either Durant or Lebron gets it this year.

If the Heat wind up with the best record, Lebron could easily take it again. Btw, ppl call it Wade's team but LEBRON IS THE BEST PLAYER on that team hands down!!!!! There is no argument!

John Walls Era
09-26-2010, 12:53 AM
You think Kobe cares? If Kobe wanted to get it, he could.

TehSamurai
09-26-2010, 01:29 AM

Yeah, the media hates Kobe so much that he's talked about all the time and praised as the best player in the league.

LakersMaster24
09-26-2010, 03:01 AM
As much as i like Kobe i wont be a homer :P Durant deserves it more than Kobe, thats just how it is. And I dont think Kobe is chasing MVP's (Regular season) right now, his only looking for rings :)

CBCable
09-26-2010, 03:19 AM
lebron will 3peat

HAAAAAA. dude.. i will put my deed to my house on this bet.

Antipod
09-26-2010, 04:34 AM
I think that he doesn`t care about this ) All he wants are rings rings RINGS :D

The Final Boss
09-26-2010, 06:51 AM
I'm sure Kobe cares more about Finals MVPs than regular season MVPs at this point in his career. There is nothing more important than winning
championships.

Alimony.

SouljahPhil...
09-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Saying he is not a contender for mvp is plain stupid..

Durant will probably win it but kobe will always be top 5 in voting..

Raidaz4Life
09-26-2010, 09:22 AM
What a terrible article. To say Kobe is not a serious contender anymore is absolute crap, a well rested Kobe could easily win it this year. I will agree he is not necessarily the favorite but a healthy Kobe will likely be in contention for the NBA for the next 3 years at least.

RapOZo
09-26-2010, 09:51 AM
this is fuel for his fire, you tell that guy "no" and he just gonna get in the gym to prove you wrong

ink
09-26-2010, 11:20 AM
To the OP, please stop spamming your blog. You have received bans in the past for this.