PDA

View Full Version : NBA Statistics forum

Sports Illustrator
09-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to inform you all that we just finished creating a new NBA statistics forum upon the request of many users on this site. I hope to see you all actively posting in the forum.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=470

Gators123
09-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks!

arkanian215
09-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Yezzzz. Thank you.

daleja424
09-24-2010, 08:07 PM
bumping this to make sure users see it.

DenButsu
09-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to inform you all that we just finished creating a new NBA statistics forum upon the request of many users on this site. I hope to see you all actively posting in the forum.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=470

Didn't see this thread the first time around, but just to make sure you guys see it, I'll say it again here:

Thanks to PSD's admins & mods, and to the posters who pushed for this, for making it happen. I feel pretty strongly that this definitely adds value to PSD's basketball forums, and that it'll be a great thing both for the site and for the posters who are interested in analytics and/or want to learn more.

Thanks! :cheers:

tredigs
09-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Good stuff SI, glad to see the lobbying paid off. It may be a slower moving forum, but it will inevitably be high in content value and a fantastic place to reference as the season progresses.

Mahalo!

daleja424
09-24-2010, 08:59 PM
SI, how do we get this forum in the menu bars at the top of the screen?

Burkey3472
09-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Good stuff :clap:

still1ballin
09-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Make Chronz a mod there

lol

Hawkeye15
09-24-2010, 09:28 PM
bump. Please visit everyone. It will improve your knowledge of the game

daleja424
09-24-2010, 09:35 PM
I agree. I really think people can use stats to overcome some of their biases. Stats just don't lie if you are reading them correctly...

kArSoN RyDaH
09-24-2010, 10:12 PM
so any threads in the nba that have statistic related information are going to get moved into there?

daleja424
09-24-2010, 10:16 PM
no. threads that are about stats go there...

kArSoN RyDaH
09-24-2010, 10:22 PM
no. Threads that are about stats go there...

not necessarily about stats but contain stats?

For example if someone makes a thread about top defenders in the league and members comment comparing and contrasting the players using advanced statistics or normal stats would it get moved?

Wouldnt this minimize activity in the nba forum? And minimize good conversations/debates?

Hawkeye15
09-24-2010, 11:07 PM

For example if someone makes a thread about top defenders in the league and members comment comparing and contrasting the players using advanced statistics or normal stats would it get moved?

Wouldnt this minimize activity in the nba forum? And minimize good conversations/debates?

no. The stats threads will be specifically about advanced stats, and users opinions on them. The main forum has many posters who use eyes, and advanced stats in their arguments, but these are not necessarily stat threads in the least bit.
The stats forum should be somewhere all NBA posters visit, to simply look in, learn, and if they choose, weigh in.

The main forums won't change in the slightest. And those posters who have posted with stats will continue to do so. Nothing has changed in that respect

lakers4sho
09-24-2010, 11:34 PM
SI, how do we get this forum in the menu bars at the top of the screen?

x2

It would be really nice.

Patman
09-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Nice and i would assume that the Forum is tho discuss the advanced stats and how they should be used. So threads that have Stats in it to make a point about a player or a group of players will still belong in the Main NBA Forum.

Wilson
09-25-2010, 09:15 AM

The example you gave would more likely get moved to the comparisons forum.

The effect this new forum will have on the NBA forum's activity has been brought up between some mods, but I personally don't think it will be a problem. During the season the main NBA forum will be crammed with news (completed trades, releases, fines/suspensions, injuries etc.), predictions/speculation, trade rumours and game threads.

The new forum is a place for a quickly expanding area of basketball to get the attention it deserves without getting buried under the things I mentioned above.

Nice and i would assume that the Forum is tho discuss the advanced stats and how they should be used. So threads that have Stats in it to make a point about a player or a group of players will still belong in the Main NBA Forum.

I think that's a good assessment of what it will be. Advanced statistics for basketball are growing big time at the moment, I think the new forum is there to track the growth and to discuss what is credible and what is not.

Raoul Duke
09-25-2010, 09:46 AM
It's a cool idea, and I'm glad you guys made a forum for it, but I can't see myself spending a lot of time there. It's basically a lot of math going on. I can't say that I care enough about this game (or any game for that matter) to actually spend my time coming up with "formulas" to measure it by.

tredigs
09-25-2010, 11:34 AM
It's a cool idea, and I'm glad you guys made a forum for it, but I can't see myself spending a lot of time there. It's basically a lot of math going on. I can't say that I care enough about this game (or any game for that matter) to actually spend my time coming up with "formulas" to measure it by.

Understandable, and that's all good. But most of it really isn't that complicated, if you give a little time to it (I'm talking 30 min to an hour to get the ball rolling).

A lot of the dudes that'll post there (including myself) watch a disgusting amount of ball games, and are just looking for new ways to look at the game. They're not just stat heads ; ] - So the discussion should actually be pretty well rounded. And we're all helping each other out to learn new facets of the game (that's sort of the idea behind the forum).

Either way - it'll be there, if/when you're ready. That's all that matters to me.

Avenged
09-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Good stuff, I will just be a spectator for the time being in there though, some of you guys are just on another level with this stuff.

Raoul Duke
09-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Understandable, and that's all good. But most of it really isn't that complicated, if you give a little time to it (I'm talking 30 min to an hour to get the ball rolling).

A lot of the dudes that'll post there (including myself) watch a disgusting amount of ball games, and are just looking for new ways to look at the game. They're not just stat heads ; ] - So the discussion should actually be pretty well rounded. And we're all helping each other out to learn new facets of the game (that's sort of the idea behind the forum).

Either way - it'll be there, if/when you're ready. That's all that matters to me.

Understood, and kudos to the guys who are posting explanations for people! It will be really interesting to see long time posters actually crunching numbers and forming new perspectives on stuff. I mean, overall I think it's a great addition.

lakers4sho
09-25-2010, 01:10 PM

That's why some of us are here to help :cool:

arkanian215
09-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Please I don't want to see anymore "watch the game" tools in the forum. If you don't wanna talk stats and prefer to base your opinions of players just on what you see on tv and highlight reels then don't come. If you're open to forming your opinions of players based on a different approach to the game or would like to learn about stats, you're very welcome.
/rant

lakers4sho
09-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Well, looking at stats alone is half the battle. While it is true that the subforum should be mostly about stats, subjective evidence shouldn't be denied and thrown out of the window completely.

Just my 2 cents :shrug:

arkanian215
09-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Well, looking at stats alone is half the battle. While it is true that the subforum should be mostly about stats, subjective evidence shouldn't be denied and thrown out of the window completely.

Just my 2 cents :shrug:

I'm just saying if folks are gonna formulate their opinions solely on what they watch on tv or on the net, then why come to the stats forum? If they have no interest in incorporating stats into their analysis of players then why should they even bother coming to the forum?

lakers4sho
09-25-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm just saying if folks are gonna formulate their opinions solely on what they watch on tv or on the net, then why come to the stats forum? If they have no interest in incorporating stats into their analysis of players then why should they even bother coming to the forum?

If that's the case then I agree with you.

Avenged
09-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Please I don't want to see anymore "watch the game" tools in the forum. If you don't wanna talk stats and prefer to base your opinions of players just on what you see on tv and highlight reels then don't come. If you're open to forming your opinions of players based on a different approach to the game or would like to learn about stats, you're very welcome.
/rant

The Stat Forum isn't even big, so telling posters not to come in there isn't really going to help.

CHANGO
09-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks!! Good for comparisions!

lakers4sho
09-26-2010, 02:21 AM
The Stat Forum isn't even big, so telling posters not to come in there isn't really going to help.

Well I'd take an intellectual discussion of a few posters, over a huge mess of people posting nonsense (*cough*NBA forum*cough*)

Avenged
09-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Well I'd take an intellectual discussion of a few posters, over a huge mess of people posting nonsense (*cough*NBA forum*cough*)

Yes, but I'm pretty sure if you guys want to keep the forum, especially considering how many people voted yes (and there's not many posters there anyway, where'd they go?), that forum is going to have to generate various discussion.

arkanian215
09-26-2010, 01:05 PM

No that's not what I'm saying at all.