PDA

View Full Version : Four NBA training camps open today

spreadeagle
09-24-2010, 08:47 AM
The season is finally here.

An offseason of unprecedented uprooting at long last gives way to sneakers squeaking with a purpose with the start of training camps in selected locales this weekend.

The Rockets, Timberwolves, Nets and Knicks tip it off today with each hosting their Media Day — the first official gathering and unveiling of each franchise’s full squad and coaching staff. The Lakers follow suit Saturday, closing out the teams that get a head start because of international commitments with NBA Europe Live and NBA China Games.

The other 25 teams get going on Monday with practices in full swing for everyone no later than Tuesday.

There won’t actually be any drills or scrimmages taking place today. Media Day is a chance for us pesky reporters to ask those pesky questions about the season ahead. Players generally model their uniforms for the first time for the cameras on hand, and in this case they’re trying on those spiffy new duds from adidas.

Houston is holding camp on campus in the Toyota Center. Jason Friedman of Rockets.com whets our whistle for the start of workouts with an Aaron Brooks Q&A. Friedman asks the young point guard if he sees an All-Star Game in his future:

“That would be nice. But I think about Aaron Brooks in the playoffs. I like the sound of that better. It’s not about what happens with me or to me, it’s about making it back to the playoffs. The fans and organization deserve that and we want to get there this year.”

The Wolves are also staying home, getting it done inside the Target Center. Timberwolves.com is taking fans inside Media Day 2010 Live with an all-access online pass. Be sure to keep up with Jonah Ballow‘s daily reporting from camp (including a possible chat with new addition Michael Beasley), and for Kurt Rambis‘ thoughts before it gets started, check out this video interview with Minny’s coach.

The Nets are holding camp at their new interim home (Prudential Center) under the guidance of their new coach (Avery Johnson). Ben Couch of Nets.com caught up with the Lil General, a diehard New Orleans Saints fan, a couple of days back:

“I’m excited. I’m cautious, but I’m optimistic. That’s where we are. Unlike the Saints, this franchise has been to the Finals two times. But the last few years have really been some tough years for us. I just feel it’s a brand new day for Nets basketball. It’s a new era and we’ll get that started on Saturday.”

The Knicks are headed to the Madison Square Garden Training Center in Greenburgh for their camp. Coach Mike D’Antoni and general manager Donnie Walsh talk team upgrades and the season ahead from New York’s practice site.

Kobe Bryant and the two-time defending champs hold camp at the Toyota Sports Complex in El Segundo. Check back with Lakers.com today to catch Phil Jackson‘s Saturday presser online.http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/09/24/its-here-four-camps-open-today/?ls=iref:nbahpt1 :clap:

spreadeagle
09-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Any training camp story lines your looking forward to for your team? Starting positions that are up for grabs maybe

ombada
09-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Any training camp story lines your looking forward to for your team? Starting positions that are up for grabs maybe

The Pacers PF position is up for grabs. right now its between Hansbrough (finally cleared to play) and Josh McBobs

Also with Brandon Rush being suspended i can see Paul George take over as SG sooner than expected (still not til somewhere around half way through the season or next season)

Gators123
09-24-2010, 12:00 PM
The Pistons PF spot is also up for grabs. Greg Monroe, Charlie V, and Jerebko all have a shot at starting.

mikantsass
09-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Which O'Neal will be the starting Center?

ShaqShoes
09-24-2010, 12:36 PM
For the Raptors:
Who will be the starting point guard? Last year I think Jack did a great job, but Calderon wasn't healthy last year.
Who will start at SF? Sonny Weems has great work ethic, is a fan favourite and started to look like a decent player last year. However, Kleiza impressed at FIBA although he didn't play in the NBA last year.

Stunner
09-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Will Noah be a Bull by the start of the season?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (cue the music)

justinnum1
09-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Can chalmers finally show some consistency?

Da Knicks
09-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Who will get more minutes Gallo, Chandler, Randolph or will one be traded?