PDA

View Full Version : NBA expands guidelines on calling technicals

asandhu23
09-24-2010, 01:29 AM
NBA referees will have more reasons to issue technical fouls next season.

At the referees' annual meeting in Jersey City, N.J., on Thursday, the league announced the guidelines for technical fouls will expand to include "overt" player reactions to referee calls.

Referees have been instructed to call a technical for:

• Players making aggressive gestures, such as air punches, anywhere on the court.

• Demonstrative disagreement, such as when a player incredulously raises his hands, or smacks his own arm to demonstrate how he was fouled.

• Running directly at an official to complain about a call.

• Excessive inquiries about a call, even in a civilized tone.

In addition, referees have been instructed to consider calling technicals on players who use body language to question or demonstrate displeasure, or say things like, "Come on!" They can also consider technicals for players who "take the long path to the official", walking across the court to make their case.

Ron Johnson, the NBA's senior vice president of referee operations, said audience research was a major factor behind the change.

"Our players are more personally connected to fans than any other sports," Johnson said. "We don't have masks. ... There's nothing you can hide on the expression of an NBA players. ... People expect hockey players to be fighting. They expect baseball managers to be kicking dirt on umpires. But that's not our game. That's not what our fans want. They tell us in many many ways and I think we have to adjust to meet the needs of our league and our fans. It's a business."

Some reactions will not be penalized, Johnson said. "Heat of the moment" reactions, like a defensive player briefly raising his hands to show he had proper position, will be acceptable.

Johnson also said players showing frustration with themselves will not be penalized, and players will still be able to discuss the game with the referees.

"We want referees and players to talk to understand each other," Johnson said. "If it's infrequent and not distracting, that's fine."

For the 2005-06 season, the NBA announced a similar crackdown, but the effect was short-lived. Officials say this time they expect the new policies to stick.

"We don't want our players looking like they're complaining about calls on the court because it makes them look like complainers," Johnson said. "You do that six times in a game, it really starts to look bad on television. A lot of these things may not look as bad in the arena. But on TV, when attention is focused on it, it stands out."

NBA coaches were informed of the changes last week. Beginning Sept. 29th, the league will make presentations on the new rules to the players in all NBA cities.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5609817&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5609817

hmm seems like a plan to make it easier to rig games.

Wade>You
09-24-2010, 01:39 AM
A lot of players are going to be affected by this.

Saad
09-24-2010, 01:42 AM
Lol sounds like the referees called the wambulence. Players arent allowed to run towards a ref now.. Lol.:confused:

stawka
09-24-2010, 01:44 AM
WTF???

Can we ****in make players wear skirts and call the game netball already?!

Shady66
09-24-2010, 01:49 AM
This is sad. Are players not allowed to have emotion during the games? I understand why techs are called, but sometimes players do these things not to get techs.

Utahjazzfan18
09-24-2010, 01:51 AM
The dumbest part is they're claiming the fans want this???? I would me mad as hell if my team got a technical for any of the reasons mentioned above.

DerekRE_3
09-24-2010, 01:56 AM
Hate this....so much. DeMarcus will not last a week with these new rules....:sad2:

I can see it now...

DeMarcus does this:
http://www.collegehoopsjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/boogie.jpeg
TECHNICAL FOUL!!!

or this:
http://media.al.com/mobile-press-register/photo/demarcus-cousins-38614160820c8d31.jpg
TECHNICAL FOUL!!!

or...this:
http://rushthecourt.net/mag/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/demarcus-cousins-phone-call.jpg

Hopefully he's still allowed to do this...because it's freaking adorable:
http://www.sportsagentblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/demarcus-cousins.jpg

xxcubs22xx
09-24-2010, 01:58 AM
Wow this sucks.

So eventually our players will evolve into Robots. Exciting. :mad:

Animosity
09-24-2010, 02:01 AM
I know why Sheed retired.

SugeKnight
09-24-2010, 02:01 AM
wow. this better not be for real

xxcubs22xx
09-24-2010, 02:03 AM
I know why Sheed retired.

:rimshot:

Sadds The Gr8
09-24-2010, 02:06 AM
this is ****in stupid...air punches will be called for technicals? ridiculous...

xxcubs22xx
09-24-2010, 02:07 AM
Wait, so Joakim Noah is going to be like, suspended. LoL. He always hits his chest with his fist

Jemikz9Clutch
09-24-2010, 02:15 AM
wtf man! they just want a long list of players who will be suspended if they complain one or two more. i bet joey crawford we'll be happy about this.

CHItown_23
09-24-2010, 02:21 AM
I can understand technical fouls, but whats wrong with showing some emotion or celebrating?

Jemikz9Clutch
09-24-2010, 02:32 AM
I can understand technical fouls, but whats wrong with showing some emotion or celebrating?

nice sig!:up:

ZebraCity916
09-24-2010, 02:35 AM
Next thing you know, players aren't even gonna be able to yell after a poster dunk. Hell, they might not even be able to smile or laugh soon.

AI4MVP
09-24-2010, 02:45 AM
wow. this is one of the most ridiculous things the league has EVER done

junion
09-24-2010, 02:48 AM
the officials think: fans don't like it when players complain about calls too much, let's make it a technical foul now.

fans think: people complain about the fact that it was a stupid ridiculous call.

most of the time, people don't like it because it was a stupid call. but to be honest, the crowd does reacts to how their player does. if the player complains about a foul, so will the crowd (no matter how obvious that foul was). And if the player walks it off and accepts it - so does the crowd.

i can see where the officials are coming from, but it doesn't make it the correct solution. it's a physical game, and they are emotional about it. that's what makes the sport great. if you put physicality and emotion together, you get fights... what they actually get are people mad at themselves, swinging their fists are no one, and yelling at no one - which is better than what it can be - fights. i don't know why officials would complain.

k24springs
09-24-2010, 03:04 AM
This is BS the NBA is turning into a ***** league now. Its bad enough that you cant even touch a player on the perimeter. The games are fixed now all of a sudden if a player has a heat of the moment outburst they get a tech get the hell out of here with that. Kobe, D12, the Boston Celtics, Stephen Jackson, STAT, and Melo just to name a few are going to be affected by this rule(since these guys were the leaders in technical fouls last season).

And to say us fans want this man they better kill themselves. What they really should focus on is to address the flopping issue. I mean I'm tired of people taking a dive when players guard D12. Thats why I respect a guy like Kendrick Perkins who guards D12 the best out of all the centers in the NBA.

DerekRE_3
09-24-2010, 03:26 AM
So basically this is going to happen every game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGf43IwSykw

jimbobjarree
09-24-2010, 03:30 AM
no emotion allowed!

asandhu23
09-24-2010, 03:35 AM
So basically this is going to happen every game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGf43IwSykw

hopefully not this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aySGUzzxjGE

Antipod
09-24-2010, 03:38 AM
ohhh *uck ,,, this game is gonna become so soooooooooft :facepalm::facepalm:

CBCable
09-24-2010, 03:53 AM
this is devastating to the spurs title hopes

Law25
09-24-2010, 04:20 AM
hopefully not this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aySGUzzxjGE

Kind of reminds me of his finals performance. I thought the league was goona get tougher after the way they let stuff go in the west playoff for the most part, and parts of the finals. Wrong again.Damn that means if Heat- Lakers play in the finals my Lakers are screwed. The way whistels will be blown for Lebron and Wade they will be playing half court all finals.

Htownballa1622
09-24-2010, 05:18 AM
This is great (sarcasm). Can joey crawford not call any games then.he is the dumbest ref ever.if the nba really does set up games in a way.HE IS the way they do.

hans dolo
09-24-2010, 05:57 AM
i've ALWAYS thought of technical fouls as being the biggest case of *****assness in sports. its the only major sport where if an official has taken offense to something, it can reflect in the score by allowing a team a chance at free points.

:::IVERSON "PRACTICE" VOICE:::
in the game, in the game its not a foul. its not a foul in the game, not in the game. in the game its not a foul. we talkin about sensitive refs, not a foul in the game, not a foul, but a technical foul due to a sad wittle wefewee.
bottomline, its bull****. increasing tech fouls for the "fans". fans hate tech's called, period. now there gonna call even more?? and simply because i guy states his case by showing some emotion? NBA= No Balls Association

how bout we try holding some refs accountable for there hair-trigger tech calls?? or just bad calls period? nah, lets take it out on the players who the fans pay to watch.

NYKalltheway
09-24-2010, 08:01 AM
so remove emotion & passion from the game, what do you have...?

pebloemer
09-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Lol at some of the guidelines.

There is no chance this follows through. Players are going to play with emotion. And calling every little thing would take all the flow directly out of the game. This is nothing more than a way for the NBA to defend its referees from scrutiny. Any controversy after a game for a bad call, can be laid to rest by pointing to the new set of guidelines.

save the knicks
09-24-2010, 08:15 AM
and people say FIBA is weak

Caps1989
09-24-2010, 08:23 AM
this is why i watch hockey over basketball

PrettyBoyJ
09-24-2010, 08:25 AM
wow I think that's a little extreme, playing without emotions is very tough, these guys who make the rules prob. never played in a game before to know how the players are really into the game..

ewing
09-24-2010, 08:46 AM
market reserch has spoken.

Supa
09-24-2010, 09:07 AM
This is getting ridiculous. How about making ref accountable for their missed/bad calls instead of more penalties for the players.

---

TheTakeOver24
09-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Do NBA players have a union like the NFLPA???

TheTakeOver24
09-24-2010, 09:12 AM
This is getting ridiculous. How about making ref accountable for their missed/bad calls instead of more penalties for the players.

---

Exactly!

Supa
09-24-2010, 09:34 AM
"No new penalty without ref accountability"

If the players know ref are accountable for making the calls, they wouldn't complaint as much. Problem is, the new guidelines make the referees more untouchable than ever.

---

Supa
09-24-2010, 09:45 AM
NBA, where Apathy happens.

---

ttam68
09-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Referees have been instructed to call a technical for:

• Players making aggressive gestures, such as air punches, anywhere on the court.

• Demonstrative disagreement, such as when a player incredulously raises his hands, or smacks his own arm to demonstrate how he was fouled.

• Running directly at an official to complain about a call.

• Excessive inquiries about a call, even in a civilized tone.

This is the first NBA related news in a while thats made me demonstratively angry. The bold part is an absolute joke.

The NBA is trying to react to some losses and improve its public perception by doing this? Jordan fist pumped every ****ing time he hit a good shot. So fans didn't like that? Thats absolutely pathetic.

The most popular league in America is the NFL, where players are in each others faces after every other play and theres a built in system for challenging calls. But, the NBA is reacting to fans by taking all emotion out whatsoever.

Absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

Fans are frustrated when players dont care about the game, behave lazily and lackadaisical. They LOVE when players give a ****, and show it.

I'm livid.

foonaka
09-24-2010, 09:52 AM
FINALLY Duncan will get tossed for having that stupid look on his face every time the whistle blows!

SB1
09-24-2010, 10:05 AM
this is not good for the game. Hope they don't follow through with this the whole season.

YoungOne
09-24-2010, 10:11 AM
it's getting worse every year -.-

deepen03
09-24-2010, 10:22 AM
this is so ridiculous! I just read it on NBA.com.. I was like WTF??!!

This is becoming so stupid now.

deepen03
09-24-2010, 10:27 AM
This is BS the NBA is turning into a ***** league now. Its bad enough that you cant even touch a player on the perimeter. The games are fixed now all of a sudden if a player has a heat of the moment outburst they get a tech get the hell out of here with that. Kobe, D12, the Boston Celtics, Stephen Jackson, STAT, and Melo just to name a few are going to be affected by this rule(since these guys were the leaders in technical fouls last season).

And to say us fans want this man they better kill themselves. What they really should focus on is to address the flopping issue. I mean I'm tired of people taking a dive when players guard D12. Thats why I respect a guy like Kendrick Perkins who guards D12 the best out of all the centers in the NBA.

yea I hate the Celtics... but Perkins defense on Howard is something to watch. He shuts him down all the time.. lol.

yankeesown69
09-24-2010, 10:57 AM
this is ********.

yankeesown69
09-24-2010, 10:59 AM
This is the first NBA related news in a while thats made me demonstratively angry. The bold part is an absolute joke.

The NBA is trying to react to some losses and improve its public perception by doing this? Jordan fist pumped every ****ing time he hit a good shot. So fans didn't like that? Thats absolutely pathetic.

The most popular league in America is the NFL, where players are in each others faces after every other play and theres a built in system for challenging calls. But, the NBA is reacting to fans by taking all emotion out whatsoever.

Absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

Fans are frustrated when players dont care about the game, behave lazily and lackadaisical. They LOVE when players give a ****, and show it.

I'm livid.

X a million....i Love the emotion involved, it makes me pumped to see one of my players playing like they give a ****. It's just a much more entertaining brand of basketball. This better not be true, celebrating should be legal. Knicks just got ronny turiaf on the team lol, hes always cheering and ****.

Gators123
09-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Well, at least we know that Rasheed Wallace won't be returning to the NBA.

Air Punches, is this a ****ing joke?

daleja424
09-24-2010, 11:34 AM
This will be an emphasis in the preseason and then people will complain and the league will reign the refs back in. There is no way they call techs under these guidelines... there would be 20 techs a game...

SouthSideRookie
09-24-2010, 11:54 AM
The NBA officiating keeps getting worst:facepalm:

No wonder the NBA is behind MLB and the NFL.

8kobe24
09-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Once again, the nba has found a way to pocket more money while playing it off like it's for the good of the league's brand. If these implementations remain, there will be plenty technical fouls in a game, causing the game to slow down while irritating fans at the same time. Winner: Stern, Loser: nba and its fans.

DerekRE_3
09-24-2010, 11:59 AM
No fist pumping...so....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-5G3OBKR3Y

Technical?

Chacarron
09-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Kobe will get plenty of technicals because he always incredulously raises his hands.

Lo Porto
09-24-2010, 12:23 PM
This is exactly what the NBA needs. It sucks to watch a game and see the players act like complete cry babies the whole time. Nothing is worse than watching Kobe go to the line for a non-foul and then watching him chew out the ref for getting called on an obvious foul 20 seconds later. The refs look incompetent because the players argue every single call. And when the players argue, the fans believe them regardless of if they are right.

Refs aren't perfect, but this should give them more authority instead of the stars who influence calls and lead to piss poor makeup calls that everyone hates. Just play the game and shut up players.

Rivera
09-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Smfh!

tcav701
09-24-2010, 12:43 PM
The stars are the biggest whiners in the league. Somehow, i still doubt this will affect them as they will get away with it.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-24-2010, 12:58 PM
lol Melo's gonna get kicked out of everygame this season then

Klivlend
09-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Good. Cause when I was watching the NBA last season, I always thought to me self, "Huh, I really wish the officials would make more ridiculous calls and had out more technicals." Those things really sound like they would really improve the game. I really think that is what the game is missing. More fouls and more stoppage....FML, this is so ********. This is a man’s game. Let the players play.

RaiderLakersA's
09-24-2010, 01:28 PM
"Breakin' rocks in the ... hot sun
I Fought the Law and the Law won
I needed money, 'cause I had none
I Fought the Law and the Law won."

The new rules are designed to preserve the integrity of the game by demanding that players respect the authority of officials. Demonstratively challenging any call will result in a technical. I get that.

But as you all know, those techs accumulate throughout the season and may result in a full game suspension for some unlucky bloke. Anyone want to bet that this will hurt playoff teams more?

And am I the only one that seriously doubts that these rule changes were the result of fan feedback?

DMasta718
09-24-2010, 02:06 PM
This is dumb as ****. So players can't show no emotions or at least see what was the problem with the foul? This is so ****ing stupid. Wow.

Zefflin
09-24-2010, 02:14 PM
**** that ***** ****...I wish NBa played like Europe, where you can actually play defense and celebrate...

Super.
09-24-2010, 02:18 PM
No fist pumping...so....

Technical?

I counted like....4 fistpumps, so thats like 4 tech's right?

These rules are a joke.

Lo Porto
09-24-2010, 03:22 PM
If you don't like these rules, then go watch that And1 bs. Players aren't supposed to gripe after every single call. Imagine what football would be like if they jumped around and got in the refs face after every single call. This is good for the NBA if they actually hold EVERY PLAYER to the same rule.

Niro
09-24-2010, 04:07 PM
this is some ********

NYKalltheway
09-24-2010, 04:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbL5U3MUzWA

technical here as well..?

then people wonder why the 90s would walk over the 00s in the NBA... if the 2010s are gonna be worse than the 00s, then the only people who will care about the NBA anymore will be those who plan to play there ($$$$) or who will work there ($$$$)

Niro
09-24-2010, 04:20 PM

then people wonder why the 90s would walk over the 00s in the NBA... if the 2010s are gonna be worse than the 00s, then the only people who will care about the NBA anymore will be those who plan to play there ($$$$) or who will work there ($$$$)

if thats a technical why not call box out a foul every time:(

macc
09-24-2010, 04:35 PM
To play Devils advocate here, I can understand why they are doing it. Granted I would rather see the refs let the players play like they did in FIBA, not as many whistle blows and stoppages, but at the same time its getting really old watching NBA players complain about calls. I mean EVERY call gets complained about it seems like. I swear theres NBA players who believe they've never commited a foul their entire career.

Its come to this because the NBA has alot of babies in it and they're trying to control it. It's gotten to this point. Refs get the calls right prob 80-95% of the time, yet they get yelled at by the player on 98% of their calls. Think about that.

They are simply doing this to send a message telling the players to shut up and play basketball.

Brooklyn Mets
09-24-2010, 04:49 PM
this is getting rediculous

avrpatsfan
09-24-2010, 05:20 PM
No fist pumping...so....

Technical?
Under the new rules he would probably have to pay a 50,000$ fine.

avrpatsfan
09-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Man the Celtics are ****ed. Every play they do one of these. Haha maybe they're trying to avoid this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmUqTtG-r4s

Niro
09-24-2010, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnQcJTgTAHI&feature=watch_response_rev

and now imagine stricter rules for techs? OMFG

RaiderLakersA's
09-24-2010, 06:05 PM

Oh yeah, most definitely. Plus, Reggie gets an extra game suspension for each time that he spun around in celebration. :D :D :D

Like I said, I understand the rule, but I think it's going to turn into another one of those judgment calls where some refs will only "T" up players that they are either (a) intimidated by, or (b) don't like. NBA refs aren't known for consistency.

asandhu23
09-24-2010, 06:09 PM
I mean come on.... technical here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ikaIDz-Ck

BOOOOOO

Jamballin L@KER
09-24-2010, 06:30 PM
wow dats BS

Rafer17
09-24-2010, 11:21 PM
:facepalm: x1000

jetsfan28
09-24-2010, 11:28 PM
It's not like they said they were doing the same thing 5 years ago.

Oh wait, they totally said they were doing the same thing 5 years ago. Every time they crack down it's completely exaggerated and doesn't turn out to be that bad.

dodie53
09-25-2010, 01:37 AM
amare will lead the league in Ts

Sandman
09-25-2010, 01:45 AM
"air punches on court"

this is complete and utter bullcrap.

i understand this came from the paul pierce play.

but at some point you have to look at things like that as random circumstance.

I really dont like david stern. i hope ron artest goes into the stands and hits him while gilbert arenas plants a gun on him and rashard lewis blows smoke in his face.

IDB Josh M
09-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Its about time. I'm tired seeing those spoiled players overacting instead of playing the game of basketball.

DenButsu
10-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Hope I'm not badding by bumping this old(-ish) thread, but I don't think this issue is going away, and I thought the addition of a little more player perspective adds some insight.

Nuggets' players bewildered by new NBA standards

At first, Chauncey Billups didn't even want to talk about it.

Nuggets players seemed rattled after a recent meeting with NBA officials, who told the Nuggets as they've told other teams that they're cracking down on overt gestures during games such as a player punching the air. The league has also doubled fines for technical fouls.

After Monday's practice, Billups first gestured as if he didn't want to discuss the issue. But then, asked if emotions are hard to keep in check, the Nuggets veteran said: "(They're) impossible to keep in check. It's an emotional game, and it's impossible to not show emotion playing basketball. Shoot, it's impossible to do playing golf. And that's no physical contact at all, no referees, nothing. It's tough."

The new fine for a technical foul is $2,000 for the first five during a season, then $3,000 for the next five and $4,000 for Nos. 11-15. At technical number 16, a player is suspended one game for every two technicals, along with getting a $5,000 fine.

Forward Carmelo Anthony joked: "I'm not going to say nothing (to referees during games). . . . You're going to have guys who get emotional during the game, clap their hands, yell and scream. As long as they do that in a professional way, I don't think that should be a tech, but we can't do that anymore. . . . From what we've seen (with the new crackdown), we can't have that much emotion."Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_16313972?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter)

ttam68
10-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Still annoyed by this.

Maybe the league wouldn't have such a bad reputation of thugs/misfits if it didn't exaggerate and try to punish every single thing a player does.

daleja424
10-12-2010, 12:22 PM
havent noticed it much so far in the preseason...

Hawkeye15
10-12-2010, 12:31 PM
yeah, I haven't noticed it at all. I doubt much, if anything, changes

DenButsu
10-12-2010, 06:56 PM
havent noticed it much so far in the preseason...

Fair enough, but I'd also have to question the emotional intensity of preseason games as opposed to games that count.

40oz
10-12-2010, 11:17 PM
How about the flops and crying?