PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Phillies biggest threat in the postseason?

PatelJ1010
09-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Which team do you believe posses the biggest threat to knock off the NL Champions 2 yrs running??

I say the Giants and Reds

But not to be homer on the Giants..I say the Reds on the poll

Mopped_you
09-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Braves or Giants. Giants pitching has something like 15 straight games of allowing 3 runs or less, which is just unbelievable. The Giants offense is really bad though, so eh. The Braves have good pitching and a semi-decent offense so I would think they have a good chance also. I'm very confident in the Phils abilities but the best team doesn't always win so yeah.

More-Than-Most
09-23-2010, 12:56 PM
The giants. The reds/Pads/Braves would be relatively easy in my opinion. The Giants worry me the most. I have not been scared of the Reds at all this year.

d79cheese
09-23-2010, 01:05 PM
in order:

giants
braves
padres
reds

nobody's offense besides the reds should scare the phillies, but they have the most suspect pitching. the braves have a pretty good top of the rotation (which is what matters in the playoffs) with a good lineup. the padres have a dominant bullpen, but their starters have never thrown this many innings and you have to wonder how guys like latos, richard, and young coming off injury will fare after being extended 200+ innings for the first time. their offense can not carry them through a series either. if the giants get any sort of offense going they will easily be the scariest team and if the phills and giants meet in the playoffs could turn out to be the best series of all the playoffs because of the pitching matchups

t327
09-23-2010, 01:38 PM
The Phillies should steamroll all these teams, barring injuries.

Pinstripe pride
09-23-2010, 01:49 PM
giants because of their pitching staff. you also have to watch out for the reds too though with judo johnny cueto

dfritz03
09-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Easily San Francisco. Their pitching is still solid and they always have a tough time with them, especially at AT&T Park.The phils crush the Padres pitching, the Braves are really struggling as of late and as of this past series, can't touch H2O. The Reds have an ok chance, but are still weak at starting pitching with this Phillies offense.

BigLee53
09-23-2010, 02:08 PM
The Phillies should steamroll all these teams.

this.. im not trying to hurt anyones ones feelings, be a homer, or a smart ***.. but there is no threat. not when you go 18-3 in the month of Sept. 10-0 in your last ten. possess the highest record in the MLB (tied with Twins & Yankees) theyve just been unstoppable.. 3 consecutive sweeps. its just crazy.

papirico52
09-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Rockies.......Im ****ing afraid of CarGo he always rapes us :(

iggypop123
09-23-2010, 02:53 PM
reds or the rockies if they can make it in. realistically their only threat is cooling off. they have been on such an amazing streak where everything has gone their way maybe it ends. the reds do have a potent offense

Pinstripe pride
09-23-2010, 02:54 PM
this.. im not trying to hurt anyones ones feelings, be a homer, or a smart ***.. but there is no threat. not when you go 18-3 in the month of Sept. 10-0 in your last ten. possess the highest record in the MLB (tied with Twins & Yankees) theyve just been unstoppable.. 3 consecutive sweeps. its just crazy.

anyhting can happen in the playoffs though

BigLee53
09-23-2010, 03:15 PM
anyhting can happen in the playoffs though

very true.

Jaydes
09-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Themselves.....

Link (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20100923_Paul_Hagen__Phillies__toughest_NL_foe__Ph illies.html)

JDink24
09-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Everyone scares me in a best of 5 series.

PatelJ1010
09-23-2010, 03:54 PM
You know something that is crazy the Phillies have a great #1, #2,& #3 starter in Halladay, Hamels, and Oswalt < That is dangerous just to face in the 1st round and they only 2 teams that can compete with that staff equally is the Giants (Lincecum, Sanchez(maybe Zito), Cain) and Braves ( Hudson, Lowe, Hanson)

Philliefan90
09-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Rockies if they make it.

Pinstripe pride
09-23-2010, 04:25 PM
their own bull pen

Dark Donnie
09-23-2010, 04:28 PM
their own bull pen

Our bull pen has been pretty damn good....Lidge has been incredible the past few months.

redzone11
09-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Wilson Valdez with men on base.

Gigantes4Life
09-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Everyone scares me in a best of 5 series.

This. I don't care who you are, but I'd be scared of any team in a short series. So much can happen in a baseball game, and with your season on the line it's torture.

CityofTreez
09-23-2010, 05:46 PM
If we seal up the best record in the NL (which we will) I would say we are our own worst enemy. I look at all the comeptition, and some are efficient road teams, and some are "meh"

Pretty confident once we get Rollins back, but out Bullpen is a risk nonetheless.

More-Than-Most
09-23-2010, 06:29 PM
This. I don't care who you are, but I'd be scared of any team in a short series. So much can happen in a baseball game, and with your season on the line it's torture.

Good point. A 5 game series scares me as well. We would have an advantage being home and tossing out Halladay/Hamels/Oswalt/Halladay/Hamels but if the Giants or Braves pitching all a sudden is on and our offense becomes anemic I could see us getting beat. I always hate the 5 game bull ****. I wish they were all 7 game series.

Fred
09-23-2010, 06:38 PM
The other positive thing about getting the regulars some rest is that it will give AB's to the bench guys that should hopefully help them when there is a need for a PH in the playoffs....btw, a 5-game series should scare the **** out of a phillies opponent...there are no breaks in that pitching staff in a short series...

09-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Our bull pen has been pretty damn good....Lidge has been incredible the past few months.

Lidge can crumble like Jenga's at any time.

Lloyd Christmas
09-23-2010, 07:02 PM
If the Rockies stay hot enough to make the playoffs and Tulo and Gonzalez stay on fire, then they would scare me the most out of those options.

BigLee53
09-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Lidge can crumble like Jenga's at any time.

if im not mistaken.. isnt that what Rivera is doing right now?

baseballguy247
09-23-2010, 07:15 PM
col and atl

baseballguy247
09-23-2010, 07:17 PM
if im not mistaken.. isnt that what Rivera is doing right now?

i think mo is getting ready to repeat as WS champs

agoody117
09-23-2010, 07:34 PM
The reds got swept by the Phillies in the series right before the all-star break. All of the games were very competitive and non were blow outs. In fact a few of the games were blown by our bull pen which has gotten better.

We have also beaten the Halladay this year so it has to give our boys some confidence.

If our hitters are hot then we got a chance against the phillies.

but i will tell you. EVERYBODY does not want to face the phillies right now.

Mell413
09-23-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't think you can say anyone is the bigger threat. Anything can happen in a short series. Sometimes the best team doesn't win. See 2008 Cubs.

BigLee53
09-23-2010, 07:37 PM
i think mo is getting ready to repeat as WS champs

yep you right. :rolleyes:

leftie5
09-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Hamels is pitching like he did when they won the World Series a couple years ago and Oswalt has been lights out. It's scary to think Halladay has been their third best pitcher lately. Bad news for my Braves (if we make it) and the other teams making the playoffs.

Anything can happen, but Philly is definitely the heavy favorite with the way they are playing.

bringinwood
09-23-2010, 08:25 PM
I say the Reds since I don't think the Rox are going to make it in...

If the Rox made it, I would pick them...

The Giants have great pitching but aren't solid enough in the lineup...
They also have inexperience throughout the entire pitching staff when it comes to a postseason atmosphere... Zito made it with the As but that was ages and ages ago and he isn't the same guy...

The Reds have Arroyo who has been there... They have Edmonds who has been through the wars... Rolen has also been through the wars... They have a staff that is young but dynamic and has a guy that can tell them what to expect in Arroyo...

That lineup is phenominal and can make a claim ( the Phillies would have something to say ) that they are the best lineup in the NL headed to the postseason...

With that said, you are going to be hard pressed to find a person that would bet against the Phillies in a 5 or 7 game series... Honestly, I would find it disappointing if they didn't breeze through the NL this year...

The AL is a different story all together....

But, they are the most complete team in the NL and should make it back for trip number 3 to the WS....

yankswin27
09-23-2010, 09:00 PM
No team is a threat to the Phillies right now, I honestly think that they're headed to the World Series again. However, the Giants (who I think will make the playoffs) could give them a run for their money with their pitching staff. Lincecum/Cain/Zito/Sanchez is a ridiculous rotation, and they have just enough on offense to win games (Huff, Posey, Torres if he's healthy, Burrell, etc.)

CAIN=FUTURE
09-23-2010, 10:52 PM
The Giants. The pitching is on a historic tear. The Phillies pitching might be good, but the Giants pitching is deep like the ocean. There is no week spot. We have Lincecum, Cain 1-2 obviously then we get to choose between Sanchez, or Bumgarner. Probably Sanchez. Bumgarner will still see his innings. Then we got Zito... then our bullpen. This is a low point for our offense all year. Don't let the stats fool you, we can sneak up on you at any time... ask the Cubs.

EDIT:
Victorino vs. Torres - Who is Andres Torres? One of the most dynamic players in the National League. Torres
Rollins vs. Sanchez. Sanchez isn't bad at the top of the order, but Rollins on the one. Hes been doing it for a while now. Rollins
Howard vs. Huff - Obviously Howard, but Huff has been much more than solid all season long for the Giants. Howard
Utley vs. Posey - Hmmm. Utley by a hair.
Werth vs. Burrel - Werth, but look for big things from Burrel in a SF/Phillies series
Ibanez vs. Uribe - UUUU RIBEEE
Palanco vs. Sandoval - Sadly Palanco.

CAIN=FUTURE
09-23-2010, 10:53 PM
No team is a threat to the Phillies right now, I honestly think that they're headed to the World Series again. However, the Giants (who I think will make the playoffs) could give them a run for their money with their pitching staff. Lincecum/Cain/Zito/Sanchez/BUMGARNER is a ridiculous rotation, and they have just enough on offense to win games (Huff, Posey, Torres if he's healthy, Burrell, etc.)

fixed

Illa215
09-23-2010, 11:33 PM
No NL team can compete with the Phillies rotation and lineup. They will move to a 3 man rotation, making every game a favorable matchup. 11-0 Or Bust! lol jk, but they should beat up on the NL though.

agoody117
09-23-2010, 11:52 PM
I say the Reds since I don't think the Rox are going to make it in...

If the Rox made it, I would pick them...

The Giants have great pitching but aren't solid enough in the lineup...
They also have inexperience throughout the entire pitching staff when it comes to a postseason atmosphere... Zito made it with the As but that was ages and ages ago and he isn't the same guy...

The Reds have Arroyo who has been there... They have Edmonds who has been through the wars... Rolen has also been through the wars... They have a staff that is young but dynamic and has a guy that can tell them what to expect in Arroyo...

That lineup is phenominal and can make a claim ( the Phillies would have something to say ) that they are the best lineup in the NL headed to the postseason...

With that said, you are going to be hard pressed to find a person that would bet against the Phillies in a 5 or 7 game series... Honestly, I would find it disappointing if they didn't breeze through the NL this year...

The AL is a different story all together....

But, they are the most complete team in the NL and should make it back for trip number 3 to the WS....

FYI Edmonds hurt his Achilles while hitting a HR the other night in Milwaukee. If not healthy he would not make the playoff roster and some have speculated an end to his career. however what a way to end a career...rounding the bases...

Public Enemy #1
09-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Phillies killing everybody right now but people are overlooking that they have played mediocre competition this whole month. Make up game in COL, Brewers, 2 series with the Marlins, Nationals, another 2 series with the Mets, and 1 series vs the Braves. So yeah the Phillies have killed the weaker NL teams but haven't played any of the contenders this whole month. Yeah, the Braves are contenders but the Phillies didn't face their best pitchers, which obviously they would if the meet in the NLCS.

Out of all the teams making a run at the playoffs, the Giants and Braves have the best chance to take down the Phillies. Not saying its going to happen, but the Phillies play terrible at AT&T, and would be facing a couple of the NL's top pitchers. Offense is suspect at times, but every couple of games, they break out the bats and score in double digits. Braves have one if not the top records at home? Not sure but anyways, the Braves have elite starting pitching as well, its not like the Phillies are just going to walk into the World Series. They have a tough road ahead of them.

jzstud4
09-24-2010, 12:18 AM
i might be a homer but the reds really do have the best chance to beat the phillies they have a great young rotation which could hurt them but they are also deep with chapman cordero worries me sometimes i never watch the 9th haha but honestly it comes down to who is hott in the playoffs if the reds can keep hitting they can beat any one in the NL its just the lack of good oppenents down the stretch could keep them weak and they are the reds so choking is in their nature lol well see i also believe the giants are really good i love lincecum he reminds me of that kid from dazed and confused with his long hair haha

d79cheese
09-24-2010, 12:32 AM
No NL team can compete with the Phillies rotation and lineup. They will move to a 3 man rotation, making every game a favorable matchup. 11-0 Or Bust! lol jk, but they should beat up on the NL though.

except for the fact the giants rotation has pitched 17 straight games of giving up 3 runs or less and 21 with 4 or less. they can def. compete with the phillies, especially seeing how the giants hit all three of the phillies pitchers well and neither halladay, hamels, or oswalt have an ERA less then 4.18 career at AT&T park. while we have 2 guys (lincecum and sanchez) who are not only hitting their stride, but have had good success against philly. all that being said i would def. favor the phillies in a series, but to say nobody can compete in a 5 or 7 game series is a ridiculously ignorant statement.

Public Enemy #1
09-24-2010, 03:19 AM
except for the fact the giants rotation has pitched 17 straight games of giving up 3 runs or less and 21 with 4 or less. they can def. compete with the phillies, especially seeing how the giants hit all three of the phillies pitchers well and neither halladay, hamels, or oswalt have an ERA less then 4.18 career at AT&T park. while we have 2 guys (lincecum and sanchez) who are not only hitting their stride, but have had good success against philly. all that being said i would def. favor the phillies in a series, but to say nobody can compete in a 5 or 7 game series is a ridiculously ignorant statement.

:clap:

t327
09-24-2010, 05:40 AM
I'm going to predict Philly wins the World Series while losing a maximum of 3 games (which is what happened in '08). I really can't see how any team can beat them in a 5 or 7 game series. Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt.... that's a better rotation than SF...or the Braves....or the Rockies....or the Padres.....or the Reds. Madsen and Lidge seem pretty good this year, too. Plus the offense which that team runs out every night? I'm sorry. I really don't see any chance for any NL team this year. I can't see any AL team beating these guys, either.

There is always hope for every team, but this year it seems futile.

Kinsm
09-24-2010, 05:56 AM
As a Reds fan, the Phillies are the last team I want them playing in the first round, their 3 man rotation could shut down everyone in the Reds lineup not named Votto.

As for the biggest threat to the Phillies, I have to say the Giants...their pitching will keep them in what I imagine will be very low scoring games.

Pinstripe pride
09-24-2010, 08:36 AM

their streaky though. if they hit a rough patch during the playoffs, that could be very bad news for the phillies. I can't imagine their starters no pitching well, nor their lineup not hitting. their bull pen, who knows

KingsPhillies
09-24-2010, 08:56 AM
While the Giants probably have the best chance to knock off the Phils due to their strong rotation, it is highly likely that the Phils 3-peat as NL Pennant winners.

But let me make a case for the Reds here for a second, just to play devil's advocate. During the second half of the season, the Phillies have gone 13-1 against the Giants, Rockies and Padres collectively(so whomever commented on their weak competition during September, you need look back a bit further). Now, the Phillies did not have Cincy on their schedule for the second half, but they did play 7 games just before the break. And while the Phils did win 5 of those 7 games, 4 of those wins came in extra innings. The other win was a 1-0 shutout. So I wouldn't count the Reds out yet. If the Phillies and Reds do meet in the postseason, it could very well make for an exciting series.

But honestly, the Phils are 17-1 against playoff contending teams since July 1st. It's hard to think any one team poses that great of a threat. They're just too hot heading into October. But hey, anything can happen. That's the beauty of sports.

todu82
09-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Reds
Giants
Braves

CAIN=FUTURE
09-24-2010, 02:02 PM
While the Giants probably have the best chance to knock off the Phils due to their strong rotation, it is highly likely that the Phils 3-peat as NL Pennant winners.

But let me make a case for the Reds here for a second, just to play devil's advocate. During the second half of the season, the Phillies have gone 13-1 against the Giants, Rockies and Padres collectively(so whomever commented on their weak competition during September, you need look back a bit further). Now, the Phillies did not have Cincy on their schedule for the second half, but they did play 7 games just before the break. And while the Phils did win 5 of those 7 games, 4 of those wins came in extra innings. The other win was a 1-0 shutout. So I wouldn't count the Reds out yet. If the Phillies and Reds do meet in the postseason, it could very well make for an exciting series.

But honestly, the Phils are 17-1 against playoff contending teams since July 1st. It's hard to think any one team poses that great of a threat. They're just too hot heading into October. But hey, anything can happen. That's the beauty of sports.

only 2-1 against the Giants, just to clarify.

JnasD
09-24-2010, 02:28 PM
I think The Phillies can knock all these teams out but if The Rockies can somehow make the playoffs i see them becoming a threat for The Phillies for some reason.

jd25213
09-24-2010, 08:08 PM
One of these teams; Rangers, Rays, Twins, and Yankees.

DeyAce
09-24-2010, 08:20 PM
The Yankees

thefeckcampaign
09-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Themselves.

Lincecum4CY
09-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Giants or Braves. I have a feeling Braves have a better shot simply because they've faced the phillies more often so they know them better and they have a better offense than the Giants and their pitching staff is rock solid.
Only way Philly gets beat is if their offense gets shut down and you score a few runs off their 3 aces and the only team capable of doing that is the Giants or Atlanta.

Vandelay16
09-25-2010, 12:18 AM
I love your Sonic running sig.
Also I say the Giants.