PDA

View Full Version : Official NY Rangers Preseason Thread

nysportsfan02
09-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Thought I would make one so we all have one main thread to discuss all the games.

First game tmrow vs. NJD

What are you most exciting about seeing this preseason?

Players to watch?

Foge7
09-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Exelby and Semenov fighting for a roster spot, as well as someone who can fill our need at center, maybe stepan?

bsi
09-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Stepan, Stepan and Stepan.

Redfish
09-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Stepan (legit #1 center in the making? and future captain?)

Semenov (we need size and physicality on defense, and the guy bleeds Ranger blue)

Sauer (do we have another, but bigger Dan Girardi about to join the team?)

McDonagh (transition into NHL will be fine; he's a keeper!)

Kennedy (does he replace Christenson, or nudge Avery out of the lineup)

Grachev (like his size and hope he makes the team)

Dubisnky at left wing for an entire year (this may enable him to fully develop his game)

Tortorella (his imprint on the team and organization is getting deeper; am a big fan!)

Todd White (once his shoulder regains his strength, does he accomplish what Drury brings, but for $5mm cheaper??)

Pending trades (there has to be some, we simply have too many NHL caliber players that won't make this team; Avery, Gilroy, Boyle, Christenson all at risk)

Lots to be excited about --- once we can convert the contracts of Drury and Roszival toward bona-fide $7mm and $5mm quality players, this team will at least have the ingredients for a deep run toward the Cup! Yeeee-haaaaa!!!

dashripdot
09-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Based on the game roster I've seen, Stepan, MZA, Kennedy, Fedotenko, Boyle and Weise (not White, Grachev or Avery) are the forwards on the bubble; Semenov, Sauer and McDonagh (but not Exelby or Gilroy) are the bubble defensmen in the line-up for the first game.

messleetch94
09-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Im excited to see Semenov and our young dmen. It's up to them if Redden is sent to the minors to clear the cap space. If they all bomb out, unfortunately, redden will be on opening night roster.

NYR Pride
09-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Great game for our boy Frolov. Stepan looking really good too. Overall the new guys are playing pretty well. Considering they were playing on Marty for the first 40 and we managed to score 3 on him, we look in pretty good shape. I can't wait to see how Saturday's game goes we're at the Prudential Center.

mmmrevolver93
09-24-2010, 04:54 PM
ok so now ek is saying that he has heard rumors of the rangers and redwings making a trade. I know its ek, but just out of curiosity who would you guys want from detroit?

njseney
09-24-2010, 05:21 PM
The Wings have a plethora of solid centers.

Franzen
Zetterberg
Filppula
Helm
Datsyuk
Modano

However I can't really see any of these guys being too tradable, especially Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Modano (since they just signed him)

mmmrevolver93
09-24-2010, 05:25 PM
The Wings have a plethora of solid centers.

Franzen
Zetterberg
Filppula
Helm
Datsyuk
Modano

However I can't really see any of these guys being too tradable, especially Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Modano (since they just signed him)

i agree with you, although i do think zetterberg is tradeable just not for anything we have. Its another one of ek's wacky dreams, i was just curious.

commonsense12
09-24-2010, 05:58 PM
The only Wings i would want are Datsyul or Zetterberg. I dont see that happening so either its a small move that doesnt mean much or its another BS rumor from EK.

mmmrevolver93
09-24-2010, 06:05 PM
The only Wings i would want are Datsyul or Zetterberg. I dont see that happening so either its a small move that doesnt mean much or its another BS rumor from EK.

i agree. to be honest i would feel comfortable going into the season with the present roster, redden down in the minors and stepan centering the first line.

commonsense12
09-24-2010, 06:19 PM
i agree. to be honest i would feel comfortable going into the season with the present roster, redden down in the minors and stepan centering the first line.

Agreed

nyanks79
09-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Ill take Kronwall. But we would probably need to give up a decent amount for him.

mmmrevolver93
09-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Ill take Kronwall. But we would probably need to give up a decent amount for him.

we have enough defenseman IMO. the only thing i would want is a top 6 forward. but i really like our top line. If its doesnt work out as the season progresses than maybe we add someone at the deadline or go sign a big FA next year. i would really like to see what stepan can do, and which frolov we are going to get. From what i saw in the first game, frolov looks comfortable here already

SLY WILLIAMS
09-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Who do you guys have making the team right now?

Locks:

Gabs
Cally
Frolov
Drury
Dubs
Prust
Boogard
AA
Prospal
EC

Staal
Girardi
MDZ
Rozy

On the bubble:

Avery
Stepan
Kennedy
Fedetenko
Boyle
White

Gilroy
Mcd
Valentenko
Emminger
Sauer

SLY WILLIAMS
09-28-2010, 12:32 PM
For all the cap doom and gloom it is possible we could enter this season 3-5 mill under the cap now.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Some tweets from today:

http://twitter.com/JimCerny

# Torts was joking with media today about Vinny Prospal's loud celebrations after scoring two goals in practice; Vinny clearly a favorite 2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Torts with plenty of great things to say about Fedotenko, Stepan, McDonagh, Valentenko, & Sauer today 5 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Torts also said likely he will go with 23 players on roster to start season & could make more cuts after game tomorrow

http://twitter.com/thenyrangers

# More Torts on Zuccarello: "he's a talented kid...it's a lot we ask of him coming over here (to North America)...that's quite a process" 5 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Torts on Zuccarello: "he needs to understand the North American game...he admitted he has a lot to learn...and he wants to learn" 5 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Torts praised youngsters Stepan & McDonagh for their maturity; also pleased with Sauer & Valentenko, both of whom will play tomorrow night 11 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Torts said he'd like to make more moves after game tomorrow: "I'd like to get down in numbers for practice reasons...chip away at it" 13 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Torts also explained that team is being very careful with Steve Eminger's sore groin: "trying to avoid it becoming a nagging thing" 14 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Torts reports that Chris Drury skated on his own prior to practice and will skate again tomorrow 15 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Sauer on 1 of final 27 players in training camp: "It's good news & I am excited...but have to keep my intensity high & do extra every day" about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

Mike Sauer on pre-season games: "This a big opportunity for me to show I can play against the big boys...want to challenge them & beat them" about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

Fedotenko on Valentenko: "so far he is doing great...he's not afraid to play physical, has good shot...good kid" about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

Fedotenko was serving as interpreter on-ice for rookie Pavel Valentenko and Coach Tortorella today about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

Ruslan Fedotenko: "I have to show I can contribute and be consistent every day...even if you make the team, it's not over...keep working"

commonsense12
09-28-2010, 02:14 PM
I expect the next cuts to contain White and Eminger.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I expect the next cuts to contain White and Eminger.

It looks like Torts may carry 23. Since we have 27 now that is only 4 more cuts. :)

commonsense12
09-28-2010, 03:08 PM
In regards to salary cap space, we have the following guys guaranteed spots.

Gabs 7.5
Drury 7.05
Frol 3.0
Cally 2.3
Prosp 2.1
Dubi 1.85
boog 1.65
AA 822k
Prust 800k

Rozy 5.0
Staal 3.975
Girardi 3.325
MDZ 1.0875

Lundy 6.875
Biron .875

Means we have 48.21 guaranteed with 9 forwards 4 dman and 2 goalies. So we need at least 4 forwards and 3 dmen. Torts also said he may carry 23 guys so we are talking 8 more bodies with 11.19 left of cap room. Remaining players are:

Avery 1.9375
Stepan .820
Kennedy .550
Fedetenko ????
Boyle .525
White 2.375
EC .975

Gilroy 1.75
Mcd 1.3
Valentenko ???
Emminger 1.125
Sauer .500

I say that Avery, Kennedy, Stephan and either Fedotenko or EC are the 4 forwards that make the team. Thats roughly 4.28 mill assuming Fedotenko and EC make the same amount of money.

For Dmen I think Gilroy, MCD and either Sauer or Valentenko. Thats 3.55 mill (Gilroy, MCD and SAuer). No clue what Valentenko will make.

Total 7.83 and we can still carry another body. So 3.36 mill left for another player. Could be interesting.

Anyone else have any ideas on who makes the team?

messleetch94
09-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Who do you guys have making the team right now?

Locks:

Gabs
Cally
Frolov
Drury
Dubs
Prust
Boogard
AA
Prospal
EC

Staal
Girardi
MDZ
Rozy

On the bubble:

Avery
Stepan
Kennedy
Fedetenko
Boyle
White

Gilroy
Mcd
Valentenko
Emminger
Sauer

If he does carry 23, I see Fedetenko, Stephan, Avery, and Boyle filling the fwrd spots. Gilroy, McD, and Emminger to fill out the defense. The problem with carrying 23, you have to make sure players stay fresh. Can't let them sit for too long.

commonsense12
09-28-2010, 03:13 PM
It looks like Torts may carry 23. Since we have 27 now that is only 4 more cuts. :)

Yeah but does he go with 8 dmen or 14 forwards?

I think besides white and eminger getting cut the last 3 bubble players are between Sauer and Valentenko unless he goes with 8 dmen which i doubt and for forwards its Boyle, EC and Fedotenko.

I would assume he goes with the extra forward because of the Drury injury. So i would think Fedotenko and EC both make the team.

Honestly i am so unsure because the Semenov cut was a surprise.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-28-2010, 03:16 PM
I think we will have 2 goalies, 7 dmen and 14 fwds.

I might keep Kennedy over Boyle even though I like Boyle. I just really think we need more quickness on this team.

commonsense12
09-28-2010, 05:30 PM
I think we will have 2 goalies, 7 dmen and 14 fwds.

I might keep Kennedy over Boyle even though I like Boyle. I just really think we need more quickness on this team.

I agree with you. Kennedy has much more upside then boyle.

bsi
09-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Once Drury comes back it's gonna be crazy, hard to pick. Avery is gonna have to prove himself in the first part of the season that's for sure.

Redfish
09-28-2010, 06:13 PM
I have, for opening night roster

Frolov - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Kennedy - Prospal
Avery - Boyle - Prust

Christenson, as extra
Boogard, in the press box, and
Drury on IR

Staal - Girardi
Roszival - Del Zotto
McDonagh - Valentenko
Gilroy in the press box

Hank, w/Biron the backup of course.

I could make a case that Sauer is more suited to be on the club than Gilroy, although I am sure that may raise some disagreement.

bsi
09-28-2010, 07:23 PM
It's tough to pick but I highly doubt Christensen goes from first line center to an extra, because is Stepan doesn't make first line he's the guy that will be there, IMO Boyle can't make this team even though he played great in preseason.

Bleeds MSG
09-28-2010, 09:17 PM
I think Avery is a lock and I really think this team needs him. Especially with the youth I still feel like we are too damn soft. I like what McD has shown and hopefully he can develop some snarl to go along with it. Staal too...you cant be that size and continue to be so passive. Honestly Fedetenko and White are my next 2 cuts with Em going next. I really want Valentenko to make this team it has me wishing we had traded Girardi to get deeper down the middle when we had the chance and also would have saved us a good amount of cap space.

Dernelle
09-28-2010, 10:53 PM
I think Avery doesn't make the team because Torts appears to hate him and his salary. However, I personally think he has been one of the best Rangers this preseason and is an important part of this team. It will be a shame if he is not on the team and I hope I am wrong.

commonsense12
09-28-2010, 11:24 PM
I cant see Avery not make this team. I agree he has been one of the best Rangers so far this preseason. If he doesnt make the team there is another reason behind it.

Isca92
09-29-2010, 04:03 AM
According to capgeek, Valentenko is 850,000 cap hit and is an RFA at the end of the season. His physical play is needed and I think he's got a spot as of now. The question who goes where? I'd like to see something like this.

Staal Girardi, I don't think anyone has an argument with that

MDZ Valentanko, I think he would be the perfect complement for MDZ. I know its a young pairing but let them grow together like Staal and Girardi. Valentenko brings the physical end that MDZ doesn't and his heavy shot isn't a bad option for MDZ to have when he gets the puck at the point.

Rosival Mcdonagh/Gilroy, If Rosival is placed on the 3rd line (dont see it happening but) it should motivate him to play well, knowing that next step is upstairs. Gilroy or Mcdonagh is a hard call. IMO Gilroy has responded well to last years demotion, do we want to give up on him after a year? Mcdonagh seems ready but does he get a year in the AHL to make sure? Does the player not selected become the 7th or go to the AHL.

Sauer has had a solid camp however I feel hes one of those guys who ends up being no more that an injury call up. I think Eminger was a way to get rid of Voros and bring back a chance incase Mcdonagh/Valentenko/Gilroy, weren't ready and IMO they are. However he can still be the 7th defenseman, to send the one not taken to the AHL.

dashripdot
09-29-2010, 08:31 AM
If Boyle continues his physical play throughout the remaining pre-season games he makes the team. Big body with pretty good hands is the reason Sather gave up a 3rd for him. He's cheap at $500+k, was a good penalty killer (in limited minutes) for the team last season and the only thing he didn't do well was finish his checks. Now that he's doing that -- and it's something this team sorely lacks when you're biggest hitter is Callahan, one of your smallest forwards -- he makes the team. This team has enough Kennedy-types, although if he wins out over Fedotenko it won't hurt to have him.

Bleeds MSG
09-29-2010, 01:30 PM
I would keep Boyle as the 4th line center as well...dont think any of the other guys are a significant upgrade especially with his cost.

Speaking of giving up a 3rd for him (ouch), what do you guys think we could get for Gilroy? I dont think they will or necessarily should trade him but I would like to gauge his value. I would say he would be a 3rd rounder, maybe higher if he didnt have a ~1.75M price tag coming with him (or whatever it is).

S.S-77
09-29-2010, 03:24 PM
does anyone know the line up for tonights game vs detroit

Isca92
09-29-2010, 03:31 PM
S.S. check the other thread its on there or the Rangers page.

Redfish
09-29-2010, 04:42 PM
I would keep Boyle as the 4th line center as well...dont think any of the other guys are a significant upgrade especially with his cost.

Speaking of giving up a 3rd for him (ouch), what do you guys think we could get for Gilroy? I dont think they will or necessarily should trade him but I would like to gauge his value. I would say he would be a 3rd rounder, maybe higher if he didnt have a ~1.75M price tag coming with him (or whatever it is).

If we received a high 2nd rounder for Sanguinetti, I would think we should get a mid 2nd rounder, maybe a tad better?

bsi
09-29-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm of the opinion now, and you'll realize I've changed my mind here, but as it is, Avery has impressed me with his play and he looks like the Sean Avery that landed here from the Kings, and I think now that Prust could be the odd man out instead. Now I think I have my lines looking like this based on preseason play, and ofcourse I have no idea what the players are like to get along in the dressingroom so this is based totally on the on ice work of the players at camp. I think this gives us three lines that can potentially score, and a great high energy checking line that can also score. I'd see Boyle being on that forth line until Drury gets back. I think Stepan's status with this team is that he has to prove himself while Drury's out, otherwise we'd see White take his spot IMO. This is just my thought anyway. Anisimov is also gonna have to work to keep that second line spot IMO, as there's lots of options for a second line center in Drury, Stepan, and even Kennedy.

Frolov Christensen Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Avery
Prospal Stepan Callahan
Kennedy Drury Boogard/Boyle

Staal MDZ
Girardi Gilroy
Valentenko Rosival ..call up being McDonagh.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-30-2010, 12:47 AM
MZA had a goal and assist in his first game at Hartford.

Sounds like Torts is impressed with Gilroy.

commonsense12
09-30-2010, 01:39 AM
MZA had a goal and assist in his first game at Hartford.

Sounds like Torts is impressed with Gilroy.

Glad he is doing well. I hope he learns the game and we can call him up soon.

commonsense12
09-30-2010, 01:41 AM
Anyone know when they are announcing the cuts?

I would be surprised if White and Eminger are not on it. White has shown me nothing and all Dmen have way out played Eminger and honetly i cant figure out who is going to make the team out of MCD, Valentenko and Sauer.

After those 2 i would have a problem picking players that are going to get cut.

Isca92
09-30-2010, 02:15 AM
Commonsense, agree totally about White. I think Eminger is the 7th defenseman only because whoever doesn't make it out of Gilryoy/MCD/Valentenko/Sauer, they want playing in the minor leagues rather than not getting game action on a regular basis. I think Gilroy makes it so that limits the other 3 to one spot. Sauer has had a good camp but I think the spot is going to be down to MCD/Valentenko. I personally like Valentenko with his hit anything that moves and think Hank could use some more of that in front of him. IMO the only way I don't see Eminger as the 7th defenseman is if Rosival is, which is pretty unrealistic (average age of the 6 playing defenseman would be slightly over 23).

dashripdot
09-30-2010, 09:09 AM
I would prefer a 3 or 4-man rotation amongst the less-experienced defensemen (McDonagh, Valentenko, Sauer and even Gilroy) to ease them into the NHL grind. MDZ wore down last year and Gilroy would have if they didn't demote and then bench him when he was called back up. Sitting one out of every three games or so isn't going to hurt their development and will keep everybody fresh until the end of the season. Emminger hasn't been able to show anything because of the injury, but quite frankly there isn't much there to show given his track record. This would also give the Rangers a leg up on getting experience for Rozsival's eventual replacement.

Redfish
09-30-2010, 09:29 AM
I would prefer a 3 or 4-man rotation amongst the less-experienced defensemen (McDonagh, Valentenko, Sauer and even Gilroy) to ease them into the NHL grind. MDZ wore down last year and Gilroy would have if they didn't demote and then bench him when he was called back up. Sitting one out of every three games or so isn't going to hurt their development and will keep everybody fresh until the end of the season. Emminger hasn't been able to show anything because of the injury, but quite frankly there isn't much there to show given his track record. This would also give the Rangers a leg up on getting experience for Rozsival's eventual replacement.

I could not agree with this more. An even rotation would get each defenseman about 55 games; better than the AHL in terms of development opportunity and we could very well see one or two defenseman emerge as solid, full-time defenseman. And as you highlighted, it transitions our experience to better correlate with the eventual departure of Roszival.

I hope this happens.

Garden Faithful
09-30-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm of the opinion now, and you'll realize I've changed my mind here, but as it is, Avery has impressed me with his play and he looks like the Sean Avery that landed here from the Kings, and I think now that Prust could be the odd man out instead. Now I think I have my lines looking like this based on preseason play, and ofcourse I have no idea what the players are like to get along in the dressingroom so this is based totally on the on ice work of the players at camp. I think this gives us three lines that can potentially score, and a great high energy checking line that can also score. I'd see Boyle being on that forth line until Drury gets back. I think Stepan's status with this team is that he has to prove himself while Drury's out, otherwise we'd see White take his spot IMO. This is just my thought anyway. Anisimov is also gonna have to work to keep that second line spot IMO, as there's lots of options for a second line center in Drury, Stepan, and even Kennedy.

Frolov Christensen Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Avery
Prospal Stepan Callahan
Kennedy Drury Boogard/Boyle

Staal MDZ
Girardi Gilroy
Valentenko Rosival ..call up being McDonagh.

I would have to agree with most of the players making the team just a question for you...do you think Kennedy has done enough to make the team over Prust since Prust can play a physical game whereas Kennedy would have to (and should IMO) put on another 10-15 pounds? I like Kennedy but it would be an odd set up for a fourth line when Drury comes back. Your d-pairings are exactly what I want because, aside from the 3rd pairing, it puts a solid defensive minded defensemen with an offensive minded d-man. Mainly because since Gilroy and MDZ are both 2nd year players they are going to continue to make mistakes in terms of joining the rush sometimes as they would be expected to do they won't get caught all the time because they will have Staal and Girardi back there.

Bleeds MSG
09-30-2010, 11:10 AM
I would have to agree with most of the players making the team just a question for you...do you think Kennedy has done enough to make the team over Prust since Prust can play a physical game whereas Kennedy would have to (and should IMO) put on another 10-15 pounds? I like Kennedy but it would be an odd set up for a fourth line when Drury comes back. Your d-pairings are exactly what I want because, aside from the 3rd pairing, it puts a solid defensive minded defensemen with an offensive minded d-man. Mainly because since Gilroy and MDZ are both 2nd year players they are going to continue to make mistakes in terms of joining the rush sometimes as they would be expected to do they won't get caught all the time because they will have Staal and Girardi back there.

I have been very unimpressed with Kennedy so far. He was given plenty of opportunity to play last night and I just didnt see anything good out of him, especially with that bad penalty when we were on the powerplay. He's also undersized to be playing on our 4th line and not skilled enough to deserve a spot on the 3rd with our forward depth. Kennedy, White and Em are my cuts after last night, with Sauer, Valentenko and McD fighting it out for those last 2 D man spots. IMO they have all played well enough to be deserving of making the team...I would be very tempted at the possibility of getting a high 2nd rounder for Gilroy to clear some room and cap space. I know everyone here loves Gilroy and his potential but at 23 Sauer is younger and IMO more solid defensively for less cap space.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Zipay said,
Torts says next cuts wont come until after Sundays game. He also says he will have a meeting with Slats and Schoenfeld before making them.

commonsense12
09-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Personally i would find room for sauer and Kennedy. I would not want to give up 23-24 yr olds for nothing.

Kennedy has played well and almost every game he is doing somethig above and beyond what normal players are doing. The penalty on him for goalie interference was not really his fault. He was tangled up and on one skate and then he got hit from behind. I really cant fault him for that.

Sauer has just played too good. He had a goal last night and looks sharp. He is solid on defense and mighty be able to contribute on offense a little. I would still trade Rozy if given the chance and go pretty young because i honestly feel they are just better then Rozy.

If we cut either one of these players its a shame because we all like our depth this year and we would def be losing a good portion of it if we cut these 2 kids. If i was torts i fond a spot for them.

Rangers in 7
09-30-2010, 02:12 PM
I have been very unimpressed with Kennedy so far. He was given plenty of opportunity to play last night and I just didnt see anything good out of him, especially with that bad penalty when we were on the powerplay. He's also undersized to be playing on our 4th line and not skilled enough to deserve a spot on the 3rd with our forward depth. Kennedy, White and Em are my cuts after last night, with Sauer, Valentenko and McD fighting it out for those last 2 D man spots. IMO they have all played well enough to be deserving of making the team...I would be very tempted at the possibility of getting a high 2nd rounder for Gilroy to clear some room and cap space. I know everyone here loves Gilroy and his potential but at 23 Sauer is younger and IMO more solid defensively for less cap space.

obviously you werent watching the same game that we were, because it was obvious that he got checked from behind by the dmen, everyone saw it even sam and joe said it, so before you bash him actually watch the play again....kennedy has been playing well and he is only 24 years old....he has nice hands and for a little guy isnt afraid to go into the corners and take a hit.....actually hes very hard to hit in general

Bleeds MSG
09-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Commonsense do you know if Kennedy needs to clear waivers? Sly brought up a good point before that Sauer would to be sent down and based on his play I would think that someone might take a chance on him and we would lose him for nothing.

And I obviously agree with you about trading Rosi - I think the young guys are as good or better at this point in his career (although he could turn it around and come on strong) and they all do it at cap numbers that are minimal when compared to his 5 million hit. There is nothing he could possibly do this season to be worth that hit to our cap, regardless of if the contract was fair when it was given or not (which I believe it was). I also dont think trading him is a complete "tear down" or forcing the issue when it comes to youth. Young D-men are the strength or our organizational depth when it comes to ready "now" talent.

Bleeds MSG
09-30-2010, 02:27 PM
obviously you werent watching the same game that we were, because it was obvious that he got checked from behind by the dmen, everyone saw it even sam and joe said it, so before you bash him actually watch the play again....kennedy has been playing well and he is only 24 years old....he has nice hands and for a little guy isnt afraid to go into the corners and take a hit.....actually hes very hard to hit in general

Well maybe you didnt watch it that closely because the "check" from behind was minimal at best and came well before he made contact with the goalie, which also came without any attempt at avoiding the contact. Sure, maybe his skate was tangled or he was driving hard to the net, but I dont think that "sam and joe" saying he was pushed from behind (being that they ARE THE RANGERS ANNOUNCERS) makes up for the fact that is a bad penalty to take in that situation.

Kennedy has worked his butt off and could be a nice young player. If he can be sent to the minors without clearing waivers there is no doubt in my mind he would see some time this year, the fact that he hasnt been cut yet is a testament to that. However I do resent the way you phrased that post.

Rangers in 7
09-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Well maybe you didnt watch it that closely because the "check" from behind was minimal at best and came well before he made contact with the goalie, which also came without any attempt at avoiding the contact. Sure, maybe his skate was tangled or he was driving hard to the net, but I dont think that "sam and joe" saying he was pushed from behind (being that they ARE THE RANGERS ANNOUNCERS) makes up for the fact that is a bad penalty to take in that situation.

Kennedy has worked his butt off and could be a nice young player. If he can be sent to the minors without clearing waivers there is no doubt in my mind he would see some time this year, the fact that he hasnt been cut yet is a testament to that. However I do resent the way you phrased that post.

sorry for the way i posted that, but if you have ever played hockey you will know that even a little shove when driving to the net can have a huge effect....and its not like the rangers announcers always are on our side, ive heard sam and joe discuss the poor play or poor decision or poor penalty many times and last night they didnt....from personal experience i know that kennedy was pushed and that is why he got a penalty

Bleeds MSG
09-30-2010, 02:50 PM
I played hockey for 12 years and while I agree there was contact, in my opinion it was a warranted penalty especially based on the situation (rangers up, on the PP, no noticeable effort to avoid the contact, even though that may not have been entirely his fault).

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. No hard feelings. I wasnt trying to bash him because he definitely has played and worked hard, I just feel like little things like that can be the difference when you are on the bubble.

Rangers in 7
09-30-2010, 03:11 PM
i agree we will disagree on this one...i do do think he earned a spot this year, on a side note he must clear waivers and since his cap hit is so low i believe only 300,000 if claimed on waivers someone will pick him up

Garden Faithful
09-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Whether he was pushed hard enough or not its irrelevant because we all agree he was pushed which even if not hard sometimes doesn't allow the ability to stop. Regardless he is a good young player which is always good to have but IMO he needs to put on some weight otherwise even though hes tough in the corners he will get thrown around. If you look at the roster Avery is listed at 5'10" and 195lbs., Drury is 5'10" and 190lbs. and Kennedy is 5'10" and 173lbs. If he added more weight and as a result more grit and physicality he would most probably make the team. I think if were to have done that he could have been on the team (not that he won't be).

commonsense12
09-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Kennedy was pushed as he was driving to the net and off balance. Anyone who has played Hockey knows if you are driving to the net pushed from behind and off balance you are in deep crap. I dont fault him at all for hitting the Goalie. Plus Sam and joe said that he was on one skate. You cant blame him for that and if thats anyones biggest issue wth him well then no matter what he does he will not be ok in your eyes.

Every game he has played he has made good plays and been a force. The Kid has played great and i cant see us losing him for nothing. he is on a one way contract and he has made it known that its playing on an NHL team or bust. He will not play in the minors and i cant blame him. He is NHL ready and put up almost the same stats as AA last year. No one is saying AA shouldnt make the team and to be honest Kennedy has been more impressive this preseason so far.

Here is a link about his contract:
http://www.diebytheblade.com/2010/8/30/1659518/tim-kennedy-signs-with-new-york

messleetch94
10-01-2010, 04:21 PM
how can one penalty draw so much attention to so many viewers. He pretty much got the penalty for not making a conscious effort to stop, yes he was pushed, but you have to make an attempt to stop. I didn't consider it a bad penalty. the referee is not going to call a penalty on the dman for a push, a crosscheck yes, but not a push. I have nothing against him getting that penalty, I want to see more guys go to the net.

messleetch94
10-01-2010, 09:57 PM
That would make it idealy 14 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies. With the roster that played tonight, plus Drury and Prospal, that makes 14. The only one that might not make it is EC, plugging in Kennedy on the roster instead. Sunday is the last time they can get a game look at all the players. EC hasn't shown much of anything, especially enough to center the first line. A few flashes here and there but thats it. McDonough will be sent down. Eminger might make the big club. Valentenko needs a big game on Sunday. I am very optimistic.

SLY WILLIAMS
10-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Stepan had 2 nice goals last night. 1 short handed and 1 in the shootout. I think he made the team right there especially with Drury and Prospal being hurt. I would not be surprised to see Fedetenko make the team as well.

EC, White, Boyle, and Kennedy are going to be tough choices. Boyle has played well but I'd hate to lose Kennedy. Too bad we cant make a trade.

messleetch94
10-02-2010, 01:20 PM
We will no more after Sundays game, as far as who's in the line up. Stephan did on the SO goal what Gabby couldn't, get Elliot to open his legs. HA! Gabby doesn't have the confidence on SO. And that goes back to last year. I counted 5 dekes from Stephan on that goal, with the head fake and leg kick. Awesome.

SLY WILLIAMS
10-02-2010, 01:39 PM
MZA and Weise recalled for tonights game. Cally and Gabs will not play. Dont we have enough forwards without Gabs and Cally?

nyanks79
10-02-2010, 02:10 PM
The Rangers are going to start the season without Vinny Prospal, whose previously 'scoped, aching right knee will require a couple of weeks rest before he's allowed to start skating again.
The short-term impact, which will provide an opportunity for a forward who otherwise would have been among tomorrow's final preseason cuts, isn't as troubling as the potential long-range ramifications for the 35-year-old associate captain, who was unable to get into a single preseason game.
Prospal, who missed seven games last year after undergoing an arthroscopy on Dec. 29, skated with discomfort after returning to the lineup. He admitted on Thursday that he experienced soreness throughout the summer.

Now this, after he had been penciled in the lineup for last night's game but reported discomfort yesterday morning before undergoing an exam yesterday.
"We're going to keep Vinny off the ice for a couple of weeks, rest him, and then put him through his paces and see how he reacts," coach John Tortorella said after a lengthy meeting with Prospal, general manager Glen Sather and club physicians following the Blueshirts' 5-4 shootout victory over the Senators at the Garden.
"There's swelling. We're going to approach this conservatively. We haven't even talked about the possibility of surgery at this point. He'll rest, then skate, and we'll see what happens."
Prospal will join Chris Drury on injured reserve to start the season. This means the Blueshirts now have 14 healthy forwards on the roster including Todd White, who is scheduled to play tonight. It's thus possible that the Rangers won't trim a forward before the season opens a week from tonight in Buffalo.
"I really don't know where we stand," Tortorella said. "I want to see guys play [in Ottawa] and then we'll make our decisions [tomorrow]."
Derek Stepan scored in regulation and in the shootout in a game where Tortorella used him in every conceivable situation. Brian Boyle, a roster lock, scored and played to his formidable 6-foot-7 size. Erik Christensen, who may have gotten a reprieve from Prospal's misfortune, got the decisive goal in the shootout.
"I wanted to see Stepan and Erik in different situations," said Tortorella, who gave each pivot about half the game with Marian Gaborik and Alex Frolov and the other half between Sean Avery and Ruslan Fedotenko. "I still don't know where it all hangs out."
Michal Rozsival, bothered by groin issues much of camp, did not play last night and will not play in tonight's preseason finale.
"It's not a serious thing," Tortorella said. "We're keeping him out for precautionary reasons to get him ready for the season."
Marc Staal, who scored a gorgeous goal off a rush from the neutral zone to tie the game with 3:59 remaining in regulation, was hammered into the right corner boards by Chris Neil on the play and sat out the remainder of the game.
"Of all things, it was my right hip-flexor," Staal said. "It was just a precaution for me not to go back out. I'm fine."
Steve Eminger had good and bad moments in his second game of the preseason. Eminger, one of five right-hand shots on the blue line, is competing with Michael Sauer and Pavel Valentenko for a spot on defense.
Derek Boogaard, who hasn't scored in 222 consecutive regular-season games, got one
last night. . . . Edmonton scout Morey Gare took in the game.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/no_vin_situation_oUO28ekxLzsVM3eYYKcgBJ

I bet this has to do with some players getting called up. I think this means EC and Stephan and probably Fetatanko make the team out of camp with Drury and Prospal out.

996twint
10-02-2010, 10:28 PM
What player has exceeded your expectations in Pre-season? Who do you think has under-performed? I think Stepan has had an awesome pre-season, way better than I could have hoped for. I also think Avery has played better than I thought he would.
I expected more from Gilroy and I was disappointed in MZA, I hoped he would do better.

mlisica19
10-02-2010, 11:36 PM
We played less pre season games, and had more players subbing in and out which should be a plus for the fatigue of our players in the long season ahead.

Anyone notice, no matter whose in the line up we have increased our goals per game by 2!!!! its crazyyyyyy

mlisica19
10-03-2010, 02:04 AM
They called up Weise and Zuccarello to see how the team would fair off without our biggest stars, and how our team would fit with our depth.

Hes also given these guys more chances, hes already seen what he has to see with everyone else and he figured why not one more shot.

Also another thing is to showcase some players, and maybe go for a possible trade.

My preseason reports
- Our teams offense looks much improved, a team that finally has some plays on offense and some identity scoring 2x the amount of goals in preseason than last year. We look so much more organized as well up front
- Our defense looks less organized, more fluent up front. Its enough since we have Lundqvist in net who still proves that he can keep us in any game. But our offense looks better offensively, the only problem is we give up 2 many odd man advantages
- I love the depth and weapons we have, if i can choose any team to coach it would be the rangers. They have everything I need to establish my coaching strategy, they have alot of differ players who can do alot for this team.

SLY WILLIAMS
10-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Todd White looked like he had no chance to make the team but now he has 4 points in 4 games. He also worked well with Duby. These roster decisions are going to be tough. Do injured reserve players like Drury and Prospal count against the 23 man roster? MZA also looked a little better last night. I think he could be called up during the season

bsi
10-03-2010, 11:45 AM
The last two spots up front are gonna be hard to pick, there'll be no room for error when the season starts either, if someone doesn't get off to a good start they'll be replaced, I love the competition.

Garden Faithful
10-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Isn't the competition great...it's nice to have the youth movement really taking effect for the first time in a while with the Rangers.

Foge7
10-03-2010, 01:17 PM
McDonagh and Valentenko sent down to HFD, Sauer remains, hmmmmmmm.....

saintant182
10-03-2010, 01:30 PM
wow, i had it that at least one of these would definatly make the team, yet both down??!! my thinking is that there will be a fair amount of changes over the first month or so of the season... including trades for sure... no doubt we will see more of both over the course of the year... maybe securing roster spots also...

SLY WILLIAMS
10-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Some of the moves may be temporary to protect some guys for a trade. Val and Mcd can be sent down with no risk. sauer cant. The team may like Emmingers ability to move the puck from defense to offense. He hasnt looked great but he does have that skill. He was a high draft choice. Kind of reminds me a little of a poor mans version of Tom Poti

jetsfan89
10-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Eminger will be in the press box the entire time. Why would you have McDonagh for Valentenko sitting in the press box when you could have them playing first pair minutes in Hartford.