PDA

View Full Version : Signing: Former lotto pick Joe Alexander back in NBA

spreadeagle
09-21-2010, 02:33 AM
NEW ORLEANS - The New Orleans Hornets announced today that they have signed free agent forward Joe Alexander. Per team policy, terms of the contract were not released. The addition of Alexander puts the training camp roster at 15 thus far.

Alexander (6-8, 230), the eighth overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft by the Milwaukee Bucks, has played in the NBA for two seasons. During his rookie season with the Bucks, Alexander appeared in 59 games, averaging 4.7 points, 1.9 rebounds and 0.7 assists in 12.1 minutes per game.

Alexander, the first-ever Taiwanese-born NBA player, missed the first 41 games of the 2009-10 season with a hamstring injury before being assigned to the NBA D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants in January. While in the D-League, he averaged 10.5 points, 4.7 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 26.8 minutes per game over six D-League games (three starts). Shortly after his stint in Fort Wayne, Alexander was traded to the Chicago Bulls along with Hakim Warrick for John Salmons on February 8, 2010. Alexander played in eight games for the Bulls, registering 0.5 points and 0.6 rebounds per game in 3.6 minutes of play.

Alexander, 23 years old, played three seasons for West Virginia University before declaring early for the NBA Draft. He was named All-Big East First-Team and a All-American Honorable Mention his junior season for the Mountaineers after averaging team-highs of 16.9 points and 6.4 rebounds per game.http://www.neworleans.com/sports/hornets/478043-hornets-sign-former-lottery-pick-joe-alexander.html

spreadeagle
09-21-2010, 02:35 AM
He had a ton of hype..last thing I remember he had that video where he hit his head off the rim to try to make dunk contest...Pretty big bust,wonder if he can be a solid NBA'er.Still very young could happen.Never really seen him play much

beasted86
09-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Could still develop into a solid role player because he has NBA level athleticism.

I mean look at his same teammate Trevor Ariza. A bunch of mediocre years traded from team to team until he finally got his break.

IndyRealist
09-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Joe Alexander has crazy athleticism. He has just never found his niche in the NBA. He's not a great shooter, defender, ballhandler, or really great at anything. He hasn't been playing basketball long and doesn't seem to have much awareness of the game. With his frame and athleticism, I'd think he'd do really well to get with a coach that would focus him on being a premier perimeter defender. No shooting, no post-ups, just concentrate on shutting guys down. On offense he should focus on rebounding and put backs. There's always room in the league for guys with that skillset.

Hawkeye15
09-21-2010, 03:23 PM
he was a combine wonder, nothing more. His basketball IQ is minimal if you watched him at WVU. He relies of atheticism. If he could get some good coaching, it may help keep him in the league a few years. Paul will most definately make his life easier. But he is not an impact player in the slightest imo

Antipod
09-21-2010, 03:36 PM
i wish hi the best, maybe he`ll become a solid bench player

HeaTxRipZz
09-21-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm trying to figure out when he ever left the NBA ??? You can't be back in the NBA if you were never gone lol

John Walls Era
09-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Athletic, but so are a lot of players. So much hype and failed to deliver.

spreadeagle
09-21-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm trying to figure out when he ever left the NBA ??? You can't be back in the NBA if you were never gone lol

I thought he went from D League to N.O..I had no idea he was even on the bulls..I re read the piece,my bad

Kashmir13579
09-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Could still develop into a solid role player because he has NBA level athleticism.

I mean look at his same teammate Trevor Ariza. A bunch of mediocre years traded from team to team until he finally got his break.

nah its different. ariza was solid on the knicks. you knew right away he was gonna be good.

HeaTxRipZz
09-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I thought he went from D League to N.O..I had no idea he was even on the bulls..I re read the piece,my bad

haha all good broski yeah he came over to chi but didnt any PT so i guess it still kinda fits

daleja424
09-21-2010, 04:53 PM
can you say bust? dude got a nonguaranteed training camp deal coming off his rookie scale contract after being a lottery pick.

godolphins
09-21-2010, 05:36 PM
He could become a solid role player

daleja424
09-21-2010, 10:27 PM
WE do not need threads in the NBA main forum for minor signings like this. Thanks!