PDA

View Full Version : Which team will hold the NBAs best record next season?

kArSoN RyDaH
09-20-2010, 09:14 PM
With the movement of Boozer, Amare, and now possibly Carmelo Anthony to the Eastern Conference who will have the best record in the NBA next season.

The aging Spurs and the up and coming teams like OKC will all have an affect on this. Will the best record come out of the East or West? Does Miami still have the best chance to hold the best record in the NBA if melo does move to the east?

Ill keep my thoughts to myself until i see some responses.

Avenged
09-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Miami will have the best record in the league in my opinion. Their team is built to completely dominate an 82 game season.

Gators123
09-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Miami, I think they will win 70 games.

justinnum1
09-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Miami will have the best record in the league in my opinion. Their team is built to completely dominate an 82 game season.

Yes. And we will all soon learn they were built to dominate in the payoffs.

tredigs
09-20-2010, 09:31 PM
With the movement of Boozer, Amare, and now possibly Carmelo Anthony to the Eastern Conference who will have the best record in the NBA next season.

The aging Spurs and the up and coming teams like OKC will all have an affect on this. Will the best record come out of the East or West? Does Miami still have the best chance to hold the best record in the NBA if melo does move to the east?

Ill keep my thoughts to myself until i see some responses.

What does Melo have to do with anything? No team he could join would win more games than the Lakers or Heat (being that they would have to give up key pieces to get him, and even if they didn't...).

The Heat should win 65-70 games IMO. Lakers should win somewhere around 58-63, depending on their health (which is probably more suspect than the Heat's core in that facet).

tredigs
09-20-2010, 09:34 PM
For what it's worth, I think the Heat have a very, very good chance of breaking the Bulls single season wins record in the next few years. Possibly this one, if they decide that that's a goal of theirs.

mynameismo
09-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Miami.

Just can't deny the talent on that team.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-20-2010, 09:35 PM
What does Melo have to do with anything? No team he could join would win more games than the Lakers or Heat (being that they would have to give up key pieces to get him, and even if they didn't...).

The Heat should win 65-70 games IMO. Lakers should win somewhere around 58-63, depending on their health (which is probably more suspect than the Heat's core in that facet).

well considering the lakers lost 3 games to the nuggets when they had melo last year it would possibly lead to a sweep of them as well as phoenix if everything goes right. and him heading to the east could lead to possibly more losses to the heat depending where he lands.

if melo gets traded to the east for young talent and a couple picks like it is being rumored i can see lakers winning 65-68 games being healthy.

_KB24_
09-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Lakers because the Western Conference has gotten that much weaker and our divison presents us the opportunity to go 16-0 now that the Suns are Amare-less.

lakersrnumber1
09-20-2010, 09:37 PM
lakers will have the best records we had the best records in the west for 2 years straight with out a bench and now we got 1 so yea we will walk away with the best record after 82 games. Miami will end up second cause they only play us 2 times this year and good luck in game 1 go boston lol

streetballa
09-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Call me a homer but Pistons hahahaha

but seriously is there any question that the Heat will dominate the regular season (barring injuries, and even then I still put them in consideration). I mean they are the only team that could lose a star and still dominate nearly every team in the league.

Hawkeye15
09-20-2010, 09:39 PM
as currently constructed, the Heat pretty easily. The top 3 teams in the east are very good. Teams 4-15, not so much. The Heat will get a giant ration of games against .500 teams and under.

godolphins
09-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Hands down Miami

Hawkeye15
09-20-2010, 09:47 PM
I hate to start a war with Laker fans, but do you really think Phil, Kobe, and the rest of the gang are interested in establishing dominance in the regular season????? Now that the competition is less fierce, expect 56-57 wins again, enough to get them HCA.
Miami, on the other hand, has something to prove, in a weaker conference. 65 wins is the minimum I see for a healthy Heat roster

Gators123
09-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Whenever the Heat lose (won't be much) ESPN will probably have Breaking News coverage on it lol

tredigs
09-20-2010, 09:49 PM
well considering the lakers lost 3 games to the nuggets when they had melo last year it would possibly lead to a sweep of them as well as phoenix if everything goes right. and him heading to the east could lead to possibly more losses to the heat depending where he lands.

if melo gets traded to the east for young talent and a couple picks like it is being rumored i can see lakers winning 65-68 games being healthy.

Well, they'd still play whatever new team Melo's on twice, and the West is still very tough top to bottom. There's too many ~1-2 pt games in the NBA to ever have a solid grasp on the win total, and I haven't checked out the schedules in depth yet (how many back to back games on the road, etc), but it is possible that the Lakers could win close to ~68, just not very likely.

With the Heat squad, I literally can't imagine a scenario where they win less than ~63 games. As in, they could lose Wade for 3 months, and the team would still cruise to 63 wins. I don't see the Lakers having that much flexibility in their reg. season dominance.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-20-2010, 09:54 PM
I hate to start a war with Laker fans, but do you really think Phil, Kobe, and the rest of the gang are interested in establishing dominance in the regular season????? Now that the competition is less fierce, expect 56-57 wins again, enough to get them HCA.
Miami, on the other hand, has something to prove, in a weaker conference. 65 wins is the minimum I see for a healthy Heat roster

i dont think its a big deal to us either but seein as how our schedule, on paper this year, should be easier i cant see how we dont at least crack 60 wins. this team isnt that old to where we need to reduce minutes in order to preserve for the playoffs. i think we are pretty deep.

amare, boozer, melo and an aging spurs team could possibly mean sweeps for us against them. those are teams who have gave us problems in the regular season at times.

i dont think its out of the realm of possibility for us to win HCA throughout the finals but i just thought it was a legit question considering the talent shift.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Well, they'd still play whatever new team Melo's on twice, and the West is still very tough top to bottom. There's too many ~1-2 pt games in the NBA to ever have a solid grasp on the win total, and I haven't checked out the schedules in depth yet (how many back to back games on the road, etc), but it is possible that the Lakers could win close to ~68, just not very likely.

With the Heat squad, I literally can't imagine a scenario where they win less than ~63 games. As in, they could lose Wade for 3 months, and the team would still cruise to 63 wins. I don't see the Lakers having that much flexibility in their reg. season dominance.

yeaa true. the lakers have the least amount of back-to-back games in the nba this year which is why i proposed this question. with the departure of major talent to the east and the strength of schedule for the lakers i dont see it being impossible but again you are right about miami. i dont see them not being able to win at least 60.

Hawkeye15
09-20-2010, 10:05 PM
i dont think its a big deal to us either but seein as how our schedule, on paper this year, should be easier i cant see how we dont at least crack 60 wins. this team isnt that old to where we need to reduce minutes in order to preserve for the playoffs. i think we are pretty deep.

amare, boozer, melo and an aging spurs team could possibly mean sweeps for us against them. those are teams who have gave us problems in the regular season at times.

i dont think its out of the realm of possibility for us to win HCA throughout the finals but i just thought it was a legit question considering the talent shift.

simply put, the Lakers strength of schedule will be tougher than any team in the east, period.
Combine that with them not needing to prove anything, or build momentum going into the playoffs, and I can't see them having the wins the Heat will produce

_KB24_
09-20-2010, 10:35 PM

Why wouldn't they want homecourt though? Of course they are going to be interested in aiming for homecourt because this team is dominant at Staples, haven't lost a playoff series @ their since '04. It might not be at the top of their agenda, but its certainly up their.

Avenged
09-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Why wouldn't they want homecourt though? Of course they are going to be interested in aiming for homecourt because this team is dominant at Staples, haven't lost a playoff series @ their since '04. It might not be at the top of their agenda, but its certainly up their.

Definitely, their regular season goal has always been getting HCA throughout the playoffs, but they're not going to go all out in the regular season to get it. If it comes game by game then so be it. But we don't usually see the Lakers the past couple of seasons really making it their primary goal, if they wanted it (as their primary goal), they could get it.

justinnum1
09-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Lakers because the Western Conference has gotten that much weaker and our divison presents us the opportunity to go 16-0 now that the Suns are Amare-less.

Maybe 12-0 but not 16-0;)

Hawkeye15
09-20-2010, 10:46 PM
um, I said the Lakers will do enough to get HCA, with 56-57 wins....

tredigs
09-20-2010, 10:50 PM
um, I said the Lakers will do enough to get HCA, with 56-57 wins....

But, that'll only guarantee them HCA through the western conference, if that (I do think that should be enough for the W.C.).

Come finals time, if they make it, that'll leave them without HCA.

Pretty interesting that the Lakers got the least back to backs, by the way. I'd like to see if any of the stat-heads out there have done the analysis as to which teams have the least/most back to backs on a year to year basis, and if there's any correlation to it.

Raidaz4Life
09-20-2010, 10:52 PM
The Heat will win 2 more games than the Lakers in the regular season.

Hawkeye15
09-20-2010, 10:55 PM
But, that'll only guarantee them HCA through the western conference, if that (I do think that should be enough for the W.C.).

Pretty interesting that the Lakers got the least back to backs, by the way. I'd like to see if any of the stat-heads out there have done the analysis as to which teams have the least/most back to backs on a year to year basis, and if there's any correlation to it.

The Lakers should only be concerned about the west. Because if the east playoffs has shown anything, its that the top seed doesn't make it through sometimes. Same goes for either conference

And I have no clue if there is a stat out there on that man. I figure it all comes around. The Lakers started with like 39 home games last year, and their inflated record came back to normal later.

Law25
09-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Call me a homer but Pistons hahahaha

but seriously is there any question that the Heat will dominate the regular season (barring injuries, and even then I still put them in consideration). I mean they are the only team that could lose a star and still dominate nearly every team in the league.

HOMER!!!!!!! lol, but seriously Lakers because the West is slipping big time. So the Lakers will be like MJ Bulls and run throught the west only an few good teams to contest with. Then kill teams in the finals. :D While the heat now have more competition on paper so far.

mjt20mik
09-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Whenever the Heat lose (won't be much) ESPN will probably have Breaking News coverage on it lol

Do you think they are gonna break the Bulls record?

Hawkeye15
09-20-2010, 10:56 PM
I will put it easier Tre. Do you really think the Lakers are scared enough of the Heat getting all the way to the finals, that they will force minutes on Kobe, Fish, Bynum, Odom, Artest, etc?

still1ballin
09-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Miami Heat

Avenged
09-20-2010, 10:57 PM

Yeah homecourt is definitely going to be huge for ANY team that makes the Finals if either L.A or Miami make it. I cannot imagine a team beat both of them without HCA, especially the Lakers given that they haven't lost in the playoffs with HCA the past 3 seasons.

If L.A and Miami meet, the deciding factor could very well be HCA in my opinion.

justinnum1
09-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Yeah homecourt is definitely going to be huge for ANY team that makes the Finals if either L.A or Miami make it. I cannot imagine a team beat both of them without HCA, especially the Lakers given that they haven't lost in the playoffs with HCA the past 3 seasons.

If L.A and Miami meet, the deciding factor could very well be HCA in my opinion.

Absolutely.

Hawkeye15
09-20-2010, 11:00 PM

the Lakers, imo, won't rely on HCA. They are a machine the last two years.

still1ballin
09-20-2010, 11:03 PM

Yeah. Lakers are such an experienced team that they won't rely on the HCA. I mean the first 3 rounds of last years were closed out in OKC, Utah and in PHX. Lakers can WIN on the road.

_KB24_
09-20-2010, 11:06 PM

Game 7 in the Finals on an opposing team's floor is an achievement for the ages. Like Avenged said, it could determine who wins a ring or not. I can bet my cards that this Lakers team will try as hard as they can during this current barrage of rings in the past two years to secure HCA throughout the playoffs because they have 3 legit contenders in the East that are amazing at home.

Hawkeye15
09-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Yeah. Lakers are such an experienced team that they won't rely on the HCA. I mean the first 3 rounds of last years were closed out in OKC, Utah and in PHX. Lakers can WIN on the road.

exactly. Don't get me wrong, I am sure they would love to have HCA through the west playoffs. But if they see Miami winning at a huge clip, they will stop worrying about making sure they have more wins. They are a veteran team with multiple players with age and injury histories. And they have 2 straight rings. They won't worry about throwing everything at regular season wins

Hawkeye15
09-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Game 7 in the Finals on an opposing team's floor is an achievement for the ages. Like Avenged said, it could determine who wins a ring or not. I can bet my cards that this Lakers team will try as hard as they can during this current barrage of rings in the past two years to secure HCA throughout the playoffs because they have 3 legit contenders in the East that are amazing at home.

Lakers on the road, game 7, finals, right now? I take the Lakers over any team in the NBA right now.

Avenged
09-20-2010, 11:09 PM

I'm not talking Western conference teams. I'm fairly confident in them.

But I mean the top teams out East, HCA could be the deciding factor. I'm talking Miami and Boston. Boston isn't a cakewalk they know how to win on the road as well and they've beaten the Lakers with HCA.

And if Miami turns out as good as they are on paper, I think we can definitely use it as well.

Hawkeye15
09-20-2010, 11:10 PM
sorry. Everyone has a total boner over the Heat this year, which is justified. But the 2 time champions just got better this summer, and have the most balanced roster in the NBA. Miami can win 80 games, and I still won't bet money on them over the Lakers until they prove it.

tredigs
09-20-2010, 11:10 PM
I will put it easier Tre. Do you really think the Lakers are scared enough of the Heat getting all the way to the finals, that they will force minutes on Kobe, Fish, Bynum, Odom, Artest, etc?

Welll, yes and no.

If the finals ends up as such, they won't be too excited about having to relinquish HCA at any point, especially against a team that good (who are going to have a hugely energized fanbase all season). But, Phil won't be stretching any of his players in order to do so. And truth be told, I think he'll probably have a good idea with about 1/4 of the season left that it wouldn't be worth the fight anyway.

He'll just try to get them in healthy, and with HCA throughout the western conference. It's probably a slight pipe dream for them to expect otherwise. And like you said, there's a decent enough chance that the Heat get knocked off by the Magic or C's, so 57 could be good enough for HCA throughout (though I think the Thunder or Blazers might surprise LA this year, but that's another story).

Hawkeye15
09-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Welll, yes and no.

If the finals ends up as such, they won't be too excited about having to relinquish HCA at any point, especially against a team that good (who are going to have a hugely energized fanbase all season). But, Phil won't be stretching any of his players in order to do so. And truth be told, I think he'll probably have a good idea with about 1/4 of the season left that it wouldn't be worth the fight anyway.

He'll just try to get them in healthy, and with HCA throughout the western conference. It's probably a slight pipe dream for them to expect otherwise. And like you said, there's a decent enough chance that the Heat get knocked off by the Magic or C's, so 57 could be good enough for HCA throughout (though I think the Thunder or Blazers might surprise LA this year, but that's another story).

exactly

Avenged
09-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Lakers on the road, game 7, finals, right now? I take the Lakers over any team in the NBA right now.

Obviously.

It all depends on the Heat's dominance in which I expect them to do

A game 7 on the road against Boston isn't necessarily what any team wants to face.

Miami (again depending on their dominance), a game 7 on the road, with players like Lebron and Wade who are great playoff performers (Wade having one of the most memorable Finals performances), i'd say the Heat are more favorable to win.

Avenged
09-20-2010, 11:17 PM
BTW, I'm not selling the Lakers short whatsoever..

But HCA in the Finals is definitely what every championship team really wants.

I'd like our chances much more with HCA than without.

still1ballin
09-20-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm not talking Western conference teams. I'm fairly confident in them.

But I mean the top teams out East, HCA could be the deciding factor. I'm talking Miami and Boston. Boston isn't a cakewalk they know how to win on the road as well and they've beaten the Lakers with HCA.

And if Miami turns out as good as they are on paper, I think we can definitely use it as well.

The key is staying healthy. If Bynum along with the whole team enter the playoff at 100% there is no beating the Lakers.

Avenged
09-20-2010, 11:20 PM
The key is staying healthy. If Bynum along with the whole team enter the playoff at 100% there is no beating the Lakers.

I'm to the point in where I'm getting close to giving up on Bynum to stay healthy. I know you read the report in which he may not be ready for the season opener. :sigh:

still1ballin
09-20-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm to the point in where I'm getting close to giving up on Bynum to stay healthy. I know you read the report in which he may not be ready for the season opener. :sigh:

:(

Geargo Wallace
09-21-2010, 12:06 AM
The Heat. LeBron only lost like 16 games with decent talent around him last year.

jackdawson
09-21-2010, 12:07 AM
lakers will have the best records we had the best records in the west for 2 years straight with out a bench and now we got 1 so yea we will walk away with the best record after 82 games. Miami will end up second cause they only play us 2 times this year and good luck in game 1 go boston lol

How does that bold part make sure Miami will end up second? :confused:

kArSoN RyDaH
09-21-2010, 12:40 AM
simply put, the Lakers strength of schedule will be tougher than any team in the east, period.
Combine that with them not needing to prove anything, or build momentum going into the playoffs, and I can't see them having the wins the Heat will produce

i dont think its a matter of them NEEDING to prove anything or wanting to prove anything i think it is a matter of them understanding the importance of HCA and how they havent lost a series the past 3 years in which they had HCA.

they dont need to force minutes on anyone in order to get the better record imo. they have the depth now to sustain leads. last year the biggest problem for the lakers was going into 4th quarter with a lead our bench would end up blowing it for us forcing Kobe to save us. that wont be the case this year. (hopefully *knocking on wood* :p)

my point exactly. the lakers realized this year how important HCA is and with that they will try to obtain the best record in the nba regardless.

Welll, yes and no.

:confused:

i think Phil knows what needs to be done. HCA is worth the fight in my opinion. But in Phil i trust. Whatever needs to be done i trust he will make sure he does it.

WadeKobe
09-21-2010, 05:09 PM
LeBron James went 66-16 with a starting lineup of:

Mo Williams
Delante West
LeBron James
Andersen Varejao
Zydrunas Ilgauskus

Wade went 47-35 with a starting lineup of:

Arroyo/Chalmers
Dwyane Wade
Quentin Richardson
Michael Beasley
Jermaine O'Neal

Do you really think this team wins anything less than 68 games?

beasted86
09-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Kobe will not play through anymore finger injuries like he used to unless it's the playoffs. Now that he's a little older, and they have Barnes who can step into the lineup, expect Kobe to sit and instead make sure he's ready for the playoffs & Finals.

For that reason alone, there's little chance the Lakers reach the best record in the NBA.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Miami with 65 wins

Lakers will be in low 60's

Heater4life
09-21-2010, 06:26 PM
:) ...... that is all

wayneo11
09-21-2010, 06:57 PM

i totally agree with you there, and you are right the east is still weak imo even tho they have a power 3 but besides that the 76ers, pistons, indy, the wizards, knicks, nets, cavs and so on are just horriblle teams with little to no direction or future.

going back to the west however i expect the blazers if healthy to win close to 60 games and really challenge the lakers for that number one spot they won 50+ in an injury ravaged season, a freak season really so logic projects them more wins if healthy.

Hawkeye15
09-21-2010, 07:04 PM
ok, last post here. The Lakers, in order to win 67 games will need to play Kobe, Gasol at least 39+ mpg. Bynum and his knee will need to play huge minutes. And aging Artest, huge minutes, etc.
Basically put, the Lakers went through last season not worrying about the Cavs pulling away, and making sure they got HCA in the west. Why would things change now? Because Miami? They will win so many games, the Lakers will have to extend their important aging players, and Bynum who has an injury history. They are not interested in that. And it doesn't mean the Heat are better if they win 10 more regular season games. The best record doesn't guarantee crap. The Lakers know this. They will coast thru, making sure all their important parts are healthy, and go from there.

Geargo Wallace
09-21-2010, 07:04 PM
i totally agree with you there, and you are right the east is still weak imo even tho they have a power 3 but besides that the 76ers, pistons, indy, the wizards, knicks, nets, cavs and so on are just horriblle teams with little to no direction or future.

going back to the west however i expect the blazers if healthy to win close to 60 games and really challenge the lakers for that number one spot they won 50+ in an injury ravaged season, a freak season really so logic projects them more wins if healthy.

I'm insulted that you didn't mention my ****** Raptors.

kjoke
09-21-2010, 07:06 PM
ummmmmm

pistons?....

smith&wesson
09-21-2010, 07:57 PM
I say LA because they dont have stiff compitition in the west where miami will still have to play boston, orlando and chicago & atlanta alot more frequently

wayneo11
09-21-2010, 09:28 PM
LeBron James went 66-16 with a starting lineup of:

Mo Williams
Delante West
LeBron James
Andersen Varejao
Zydrunas Ilgauskus

Wade went 47-35 with a starting lineup of:

Arroyo/Chalmers
Dwyane Wade
Quentin Richardson
Michael Beasley
Jermaine O'Neal

Do you really think this team wins anything less than 68 games?

agreed, plus add to that the fact that they were able to create a much better supporting cast then anyone ever imagine all signs suggest 65+ barr any injuries

wayneo11
09-21-2010, 09:35 PM
I say LA because they dont have stiff compitition in the west where miami will still have to play boston, orlando and chicago & atlanta alot more frequently

i am not trying to beef with any bulls fans but i am just not hot on their team and as brussard tweeted some exects' are baffled that they will not pull the trigger on the melo deal. i mean this is not soccer in europe in a trade you have to give a little something to get a star in this league unless its free agency and the bulls struck out in the summer imo.

and as for atlanta well you know they always flatter to decive

Patman
09-22-2010, 03:33 AM
ok, last post here. The Lakers, in order to win 67 games will need to play Kobe, Gasol at least 39+ mpg. Bynum and his knee will need to play huge minutes. And aging Artest, huge minutes, etc.
Basically put, the Lakers went through last season not worrying about the Cavs pulling away, and making sure they got HCA in the west. Why would things change now? Because Miami? They will win so many games, the Lakers will have to extend their important aging players, and Bynum who has an injury history. They are not interested in that. And it doesn't mean the Heat are better if they win 10 more regular season games. The best record doesn't guarantee crap. The Lakers know this. They will coast thru, making sure all their important parts are healthy, and go from there.

Exactly if the Heat go 65+ Wins wich they should barring injuries, there is no way the Lakers will match that. They would have to play their stars near 40 mpg, just not happening. And the West Top 8 will still be way harder then the Easts.

So Miami will have the best record in the NBA.

Baller1
09-22-2010, 03:40 AM
This shouldn't even be a thread. Miami, easily.

urlachermess
09-22-2010, 04:23 AM
nets

dc5jdm
09-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Im surprised the Thunder fans arent sayin they are going to finish wit the best record.

AIsixersFK
09-22-2010, 03:27 PM
The Sixers will. The fact that none of you have mentioned them tells me you know nothing about the NBA or basketball itself

Rafer17
09-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Miami by a mile

BOSTON617
09-22-2010, 04:33 PM
heat will have the best record in the nba

a little off topic here but i think the lakers have the best chance to win it all mainly because miami, boston, orlando, atl, and chi will all be difficult games the lakers have compition but those eastern teams are stacked and any of them can win and noone would be that surprised say dallas beat the lakers that we be surprising..... the rest of the eastern teams are good but not as good as western teams.... just saying

sep11ie
09-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Is the West really weakened that much? They lost who, Boozer and Amare? Carmelo's still there, The Jazz are still just as good, The Rockets are improved, as are the Warriors, Clips, and Kings. If anything, the entire East except 3 teams got worse...

Niro
09-22-2010, 04:50 PM
yeah i guess the heat