PDA

View Full Version : Rajon Rondo Discusses Team USA Experience

Hustlenomics
09-20-2010, 01:29 AM
SAN FRANCISCO -- At this stage of his career, Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo says winning a FIBA gold medal just doesn't rank with winning another gold NBA trophy.

In fact, if it had been up to Rondo, he never would have tried out for the USA squad that ended a 16-year drought by defeating Turkey for the 2010 FIBA World Championship title. Rondo said several factors contributed to his subpar performance with the squad -- being worn out from the Celtics' narrow Finals loss to the Lakers, his mind on making up for it this season; missing his two-year old daughter; mourning the death of an uncle; and being disenchanted with European cuisine -- ultimately leading him to withdraw from the team.

Rajon Rondo was ambivalent about participating on Team USA's roster, but he initially had his mind changed by his agent Bill Duffy.

"Physically, emotionally, he wasn't ready for it," Duffy said. "I feel bad because I was really pushing him to do it because of the experience and his stature."

"I just never got the sense he was committed to it the way some of those other guys were," Danny Ainge said.

"It was great to practice every day against the best young talent in the league, a veteran like Chauncey Billups and play for a Hall of Fame coach [Mike Krzyzewski]," Rondo said. "But some of these guys hadn't played since April. Lamar [Odom] and I had just got out of Game 7. And next season is right around the corner. I feel like I had to take advantage of the opportunity I have right now to win another championship. It's not often you get to play with four Hall of Famers. Another couple of years and I won't have that."

Odom, the Lakers' sixth man, was the only player on Team USA to play beyond the first round of the playoffs. Not playing in the warm-up game did not prompt his decision, Rondo said, pointing out that he still flew with the team to Greece and took part in two more practice sessions before notifying the team he was pulling out. He did so, he added, only after talking to Ainge, Celtics coach Doc Rivers, his former high school coach and long-time mentor Doug Bibby and Duffy.

"I went to Greece hoping things would get better," he said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5593005

Kashmir13579
09-20-2010, 02:07 AM
what a champion... gotta love him, even if he is a celtic

asandhu23
09-20-2010, 02:52 AM
How long before a thread on Derrick Rose discussing his Team USA experience pops up?

IDB Josh M
09-20-2010, 03:02 AM
Well, Rando doesn't really need the experience to get better. He should have just did it for the sake of representing his country

xxcubs22xx
09-20-2010, 03:33 AM
Rondo is making excuses.

That's not a true competitor right there.

IndyRealist
09-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Rondo is making excuses.

Sounds like reasons, not excuses. The man was tired.

dickydick8
09-20-2010, 10:52 AM
one mans loss is another mans gain. thanks rondo for pulling out.

Hawkeye15
09-20-2010, 10:52 AM
nothing wrong with saying you were tired after playing 100 games.

mikantsass
09-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Rondo is making excuses.

Unlike Rose, his team actually played more than 4 games in the playoffs

Hawkeye15
09-20-2010, 11:13 AM
haha, I do like the part about the European cuisine being in here.

GodsSon
09-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Disenchanted with European cuisine, huh? I guess the preservative filled garbage we eat in North America is better

Mishmin
09-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Totally understandable. That was exhausting just watching those playoffs. Everybody looked tired in those last couple games of the finals. Would've been interesting seeing Rondo in FIBA though.

mjt20mik
09-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Rondo is making excuses.

You guys want anything.. chips, a ring..

lol

DaBUU
09-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Sounds like Rondo hates America. who cares, didnt need the mope anyway.

Mishmin
09-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Sounds like Rondo hates America. who cares, didnt need the mope anyway.

I wonder where you're from..... ohhh chicago. hmmm

JARVIS123
09-20-2010, 11:36 AM

Rondo knew he didn't stand a chance of making the team over Rose,Billups,Westbrook,Curry,Gordon.So to make hisself look good he pulled out.

Mishmin
09-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Rondo knew he didn't stand a chance of making the team over Rose,Billups,Westbrook,Curry,Gordon.So to make hisself look good he pulled out.

It sounds like you don't know anything about basketball when you say something like that.

bbcmillionaire
09-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Rondo was coasting through the tryouts, assuming he would automatically get a spot, his competition was more fierce, hungry, and dedicated, he saw he was about to get cut, and left the exact day of the last USA player cuts, simple as that

DaBUU
09-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Rondo was coasting through the tryouts, assuming he would automatically get a spot, his competition was more fierce, hungry, and dedicated, he saw he was about to get cut, and left the exact day of the last USA player cuts, simple as that

agreed, shows a lot about this guys integrity, or lack thereof

Patman
09-20-2010, 12:50 PM
haha, I do like the part about the European cuisine being in here.

Haha yeah because there is a European cuisine........ and actually most of the European Cuisines are tasty.

Can understand that he pulled out if he didn't feel like he was fit enough. But this also shows how lowly international Ball is regarded by many players and the US Public.

Kashmir13579
09-20-2010, 01:17 PM
i love the bulls fans in here taking the chance to pat rose on the dick. rose wasn't even close to our best player on team USA so i really don't know what they are talking about. and secondly, this is a RONDO thread. GTFO

Kashmir13579
09-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Rondo is making excuses.

yea, cause he's eager to start training for the reg. season. he's got 4 HOFers on his NBA team, and he was coming off a 7 game series in the finals. obviously he's making excuses and he's not a true competitor. spoken like a true bulls fan. get at rondo when rose makes it out of the 1st round.

Hawkeye15
09-20-2010, 01:33 PM
why does it have to be because he was making excuses?? Maybe he took a look around, saw the PG situation was just fine, was still exhausted from a long playoff run while these other guys were resting, and decided to bow out?
God, PSD at times will gang up on an old woman and kick her when she is down if she is wearing the wrong jersey

COOLbeans
09-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Rondo is a champion and he prioritized winning an NBA championship and I commend him. :clap:

RedRicanoBx
09-20-2010, 02:11 PM

Yeah all those guys are so much better.... how many rings they got ? cough cough.... As a knick ran I love rondo he is a go getter plays hard hustles way better on D than rose is... and may not fly as high but almost as good offensively...

Stop hating bulls fans...

HoopsDrive
09-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Disenchanted with Euro cuisine?

LOLLLLL

Rivera
09-20-2010, 02:25 PM
one mans loss is another mans gain. thanks rondo for pulling out.

hahahahaha thats what his girl said

but on a serious note....y do bulls fans get so defensive when rondos name comes up?.....insecurity??? bulls fans are like a jealous female when u just mention the name RONDO

Ebbs
09-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Just so its clear whether he was going to get cut or not it was his decision the rest is speculation. And I believe everything he said I dont like him at all but they were all valid reasons to bow out.

Also after Deron and CP3 there is no PG I would rather have on my team.

DaBUU
09-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey Rondo, excuses are like a-holes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Kashmir13579
09-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Just so its clear whether he was going to get cut or not it was his decision the rest is speculation. And I believe everything he said I dont like him at all but they were all valid reasons to bow out.

Also after Deron and CP3 there is no PG I would rather have on my team.

this, and what hawkeye said.

td0tsfinest
09-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Unlike Rose, his team actually played more than 4 games in the playoffs

Actually, Rose played more than 4 games ;) but that really doesn't matter.

I don't blame Rondo, he manned up and said he was tired. I'm sure he could've been used but at the end of the day, the USA won the world championships.

Rafer17
09-20-2010, 03:54 PM
RondO is a bOss

JARVIS123
09-20-2010, 04:00 PM

I don't blame Rondo, he manned up and said he was tired. I'm sure he could've been used but at the end of the day, the USA won the world championships.

unlike rondo rose dont have hall of famers on his team.

Super.
09-20-2010, 04:04 PM
I am lol'ing so hard at Bull's fans taking shot's at Rondo.

JARVIS123
09-20-2010, 04:04 PM
RondO is a bOss

on a great team.just like fisher

Super.
09-20-2010, 04:10 PM
on a great team.

Rondo, unlike Rose is a bonafide triple double threat every night.

Oh right and playing with 3 All-Stars will give you almost 2 more steals per game

Oh right. Rondo = Best defensive PG in the NBA

Super.
09-20-2010, 04:11 PM
on a great team.just like fisher

Fisher is garbage even on a good team lmao. He's no better than average

michelangelo
09-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Two words for Rondo: jump....shot.

DaBUU
09-20-2010, 04:52 PM

Its like your speaking Greek to Rondo when you say stuff like that

unwantedplayer
09-20-2010, 05:15 PM

Lol, get real dude. Did you watch last season at all? Incompetent statements like that want me to question your basketball knowledge.

unwantedplayer
09-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Its like your speaking Greek to Rondo when you say stuff like that

Uh, Rondo has been working on his jumpshot and freethrow shooting non-stop. Hating is cool though.

Gators123
09-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Seems like its mostly one group of fans that always bash Rondo.

Silent
09-20-2010, 05:39 PM
why all the hate for rondo some of u chicago fans make all of us bulls fans look like dick heads

Revolu7i9n
09-20-2010, 05:47 PM
why all the hate for rondo some of u chicago fans make all of us bulls fans look like dick heads

this.... my theory is that rondo did actually pull out because he was going to be cut, but only because his play was suffering from personal stress. he's a great basketball player.

dodie53
09-20-2010, 06:02 PM
he's just tired.

Lu's Dynasty
09-20-2010, 06:24 PM
He also was on the rag, so...pile that one up there too.

bbcmillionaire
09-20-2010, 07:42 PM
why does it have to be because he was making excuses?? Maybe he took a look around, saw the PG situation was just fine, was still exhausted from a long playoff run while these other guys were resting, and decided to bow out?
God, PSD at times will gang up on an old woman and kick her when she is down if she is wearing the wrong jersey

All I know is that old lady better not wear a packers jersey in Chicago :mad:
lmao

JARVIS123
09-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah all those guys are so much better.... how many rings they got ? cough cough.... As a knick ran I love rondo he is a go getter plays hard hustles way better on D than rose is... and may not fly as high but almost as good offensively...

Stop hating bulls fans...

this is not about rings. robert horry has 7 rings but does that make him better than duncan, kg.no. fisher has 5 rings but is he better than rondo.no.

JARVIS123
09-20-2010, 09:23 PM

why all these excuses .rondo said it himself he knew he was on the bubble.

Super.
09-20-2010, 09:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0ziBWSKOQ

:rolleyes:

Rondo has developed a fairly decent jumper

mynameismo
09-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Kid's just tired. Every other reasons he has (or others speculations) was all just an add-on. Heck, it's done with anyway. USA already won.

JARVIS123
09-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Rondo, unlike Rose is a bonafide triple double threat every night.

Oh right and playing with 3 All-Stars will give you almost 2 more steals per game

Oh right. Rondo = Best defensive PG in the NBA

steve nash dont play no d at all but he's 2 x mvp.

masalex1205
09-20-2010, 09:49 PM
sounds like reasons, not excuses. The man was tired.

+1

arkanian215
09-20-2010, 10:15 PM
He forgot to add lack of a reliable jumpshot 15 ft and out and the need for decent perimeter shooters on Team USA.

Hustlenomics
09-20-2010, 11:18 PM
lmao @ all the lame bull fans getting angry and throwing shots at rondo

DeShaun Brown
09-20-2010, 11:40 PM

nothing wrong with saying you were tired after playing 100 games.

Totally understandable. That was exhausting just watching those playoffs. Everybody looked tired in those last couple games of the finals. Would've been interesting seeing Rondo in FIBA though.

:eyebrow: Out of curiosity, how many games did Lamar Odom play this past season? :rolleyes:

Super.
09-21-2010, 12:26 AM
:eyebrow: Out of curiosity, how many games did Lamar Odom play this past season? :rolleyes:

Odom - Played in 82. 31.5 Minutes Per Game / Post-Season 29.0 MPG, 23 Games

Rondo - Played in 81. 36.6 Minutes Per game / Post-Season 40.6 MPG, 24 Games.

Rondo played more than Odom. Simple as that