PDA

View Full Version : Shaq: "Everybody is always excited about youth..."

D Roses Bulls
09-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Shaq's talking about them like they are rookies or something. I wonder if he even knows what he is talking about?

Shaq spoke with the Orlando Sentinel about the Miami Heat, Dwight Howard, and NBA lockout and the reason he talks so much crap. (“Marketing,” he explained. “”I know what I’m doing when it comes to selling out games.”)

Here’s what Shaq said about the Heat:

Do you feel like Miami is going to run the Eastern Conference or is all the talk hype?

“Everybody is always excited about youth, but in the last 11 years I don’t see a youthful team winning the championship. But they got a great backcourt in LeBron and D-Wade, probably one of the most talented, historical backcourts ever.”

Shaq’s right about experience winning championships. But let’s not talk about the Heat like they’re all rookies. Lebron James is a two-time defending MVP, Dwyane Wade has a Finals MVP trophy, and Chris Bosh, well, he works hard. Udonis Haslem, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Juwan Howard, Mike Miller and Eddie House are all OG’s. I mean, it’s not like these guys are still walking around with pacifiers in their mouths, wearing diapers.

I’m afraid of the Heat, I’m willing to admit it. But I’ve got faith in my Celtics.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/shaq_is_latest_celtic_to_speak_about_miami_heat/3257056

dodie53
09-19-2010, 08:01 PM
wade as PG,
LBJ as SG?

they compose the heat's backcourt?
what is shaq saying?

justinnum1
09-19-2010, 08:12 PM
:laugh: Nothing is funnier than Shaq talking out his ***.

Geargo Wallace
09-19-2010, 08:18 PM
What do you expect him to say?

"We're gonna' lose to the Heat this year in the conference finals."

dnewguy
09-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Wasn't he and Kobe younger when they won? He was 28, Kobe was 22. Wade is 28, bron is 25...what is he talking about?

xxcubs22xx
09-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Youth?

tredigs
09-19-2010, 08:23 PM
wade as PG,
LBJ as SG?

they compose the heat's backcourt?
what is shaq saying?

You have the two swapped. I wouldn't be surprised if Lebron runs a ton of point for them (throwing M. Miller at SF), especially in the playoffs.

Shaq's an old dog now (The oldest. Playing for an old team), but he's either just throwing out some gamesmanship or being flat out ignorant to consider this Heat squad "youthful". Their core is comprised of 7+ year vets (including their two leaders who both have carried their teams to the finals and/or won the ring), and are all closer to 30 than 20. OKC is youthful. Unfortunately, Miami is prime.

I have to wonder if Shaq remembers when he was in between Bron/Wade's current age and started winning championships with a 21 yr old kid from Philly??

dnewguy
09-19-2010, 08:27 PM
2000 team..........wasn't this youthful in 2000? Shaquille O'Neal | Kobe Bryant | Glen Rice | Ron Harper | Rick Fox | Derek Fisher | John Salley | Robert Horry | A. C. Green | Tyronn Lue | Brian Shaw | Devean George | John Celestand | Travis Knight |

Bulls_fan90
09-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Imo i think Shaq is just trying to take a shot at Bosh by not mentioning him.

Also
Shaq spoke with the Orlando Sentinel about the Miami Heat, Dwight Howard, and NBA lockout and the reason he talks so much crap. (“Marketing,” he explained. “”I know what I’m doing when it comes to selling out games.”)

kArSoN RyDaH
09-19-2010, 09:08 PM
gotta love shaq's big mouth. he'll never learn when to shut up! lol.

with that said, hes right.

Wade>You
09-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the article. Didn't expect Shaq to say/think otherwise, but at least he complimented Wade/James.

mynameismo
09-19-2010, 09:11 PM
It's Marketing.

daleja424
09-19-2010, 09:17 PM
stopped taking shaq serious years ago...

Avenged
09-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Good choice of words considering he's on a championship contending team himself. The youthful remarks he made is plain dumb though.

D Roses Bulls
09-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the article. Didn't expect Shaq to say/think otherwise, but at least he complimented Wade/James.

well its shaq, what do you expect? lol and your welcome :)

RCarlson85
09-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Wade was a 3rd year player when he dragged Shaq's fat, old *** to a championship. I wouldn't call the Heat young. The youngest person receiving regular minutes this season will be Chalmers who will be entering his 3rd year. Shaq doesn't know what he's saying and he's just pissed that he wasn't able to join Wade/Lebron/Bosh.

thekmp211
09-19-2010, 09:34 PM
whatever. what would you expect shaq to say? what irks me the most about this article is how chris bosh gets cast off. can't understand why people are so low on this guy now, can't wait to revisit the posts in a few months when he starts lighting everybody up.

giventofly
09-19-2010, 09:36 PM
OG's? I swear to god, is every NBA reporter a ******? How unprofessional are these people?

John Walls Era
09-19-2010, 09:43 PM
whatever. what would you expect shaq to say? what irks me the most about this article is how chris bosh gets cast off. can't understand why people are so low on this guy now, can't wait to revisit the posts in a few months when he starts lighting everybody up.

Don't worry, Bosh is easily going to be one of the more efficient all stars next year (60% shooting). This article isn't insightful at all. I didn't expect Shaq to say the Heat were going to win.

Jemikz9Clutch
09-19-2010, 09:59 PM
ain't surprise on this. shaq we'll say anything as he pleased.

topdog
09-19-2010, 10:00 PM

Blah blah blah, Shaq doesn't think they'll win because he's not on the team... but he could've been if they hadn't traded Big Lime Light. lol

Stuckey#3
09-19-2010, 10:29 PM
:laugh: Nothing is funnier than Shaq talking out his ***.

I can't believe I'm actually saying this... but I have to back up Shaq on this one. He has worked with the majority of the players on that squad and he might know something that sports news pundits and fans don't know. Trust me... I am not a fan of Shaq... as a Detroit fan I despise him just a little less than Le(insert semi-creative insult here.) But seriously, these guys might need some time to gel. You can't compare them to Boston's big three a couple years ago. When Boston won it all they had arguably the best perimeter shooter of all time and arguably the best Power Forward of all time teamed up with an all NBA Small Forward. Miami has two dynamic guys that play the same position and a top 5 PF. Miami has more talent combined, but will also face more chemistry problems.

kjoke
09-19-2010, 10:35 PM
shaq could have talked **** back in his laker days, cause he could back it up with play...not so sure about that now

xxcubs22xx
09-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Miami's average age per player is roughly 28.

11 players on their roster have at least 7 years under their belt.

And they are going to have to stay healthy to surprise people.

They seem to have a fragile bench, no?

stawka
09-19-2010, 11:11 PM
As much as I'd love Miami to win it this year, I don't see it happening. I'm rooting for Miami or Boston, but I think it'll come down to LA and Boston again. Miami wasn't built to win NOW, they're going to be great, not good, but they don't need to win now. They still need time to gel and adapt to each individuals roles

I hope Miami wins just as much as I want Shaq to win one more, but I don't think Miami can do it YET - and when they do, look out

Litchris12
09-19-2010, 11:22 PM
shaq a smart man

NJBASEBALL22
09-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Pretty big non-story. What was he supposed to say? He gave them their respect (called them one of the greatest back courts in the game, Lebron as the point forward) and then said they will have trouble. That's his opinion, not to mention the article started off with Shaq basically saying "I like to cause drama and publicity because it SELLS". I don't think he meant youth as general age as much as maybe playoff experience or leadership experience or athleticism. Wade has been the only real successful one in the playoffs. Lebron always collapses in crunch time (although, playing other stars should help him come playoff time), Haslam will need to provide much more off the bench than he had to in 05 or whenever it was.

TylerSL
09-19-2010, 11:37 PM
not suprising, in Shaq's mind he is still the best big man in the league :rolleyes:

jackdawson
09-19-2010, 11:39 PM
As much as I'd love Miami to win it this year, I don't see it happening. I'm rooting for Miami or Boston, but I think it'll come down to LA and Boston again. Miami wasn't built to win NOW, they're going to be great, not good, but they don't need to win now. They still need time to gel and adapt to each individuals roles

I hope Miami wins just as much as I want Shaq to win one more, but I don't think Miami can do it YET - and when they do, look out

That is 100% wrong my friend. Your superstar left cleveland for maimi to win NOW. Wade stayed to win NOW. Bosh agreed to be a 3rd fiddle to win NOW.

jackdawson
09-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Miami's average age per player is roughly 28.

11 players on their roster have at least 7 years under their belt.

And they are going to have to stay healthy to surprise people.

They seem to have a fragile bench, no?

Didn't realize a bench of Miller/Haslem/Big-Z/House is fragile.

socal Luke
09-19-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't see Shaq being under 500 LBS this year! God Shaq just shut up already! you and your comments have been tired since you left L.A

Your a has-been

socal Luke
09-19-2010, 11:49 PM
Don't worry, Bosh is easily going to be one of the more efficient all stars next year (60% shooting). This article isn't insightful at all. I didn't expect Shaq to say the Heat were going to win.

With Boozer and Stodemire going to the East Bosh won't be a allstar being the 3rd option scoring between 12-14pts a game.

llemon
09-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Heat may or may not win the Title.

But that has nothing to do with the fact that Shaq is always willing to open his mouth and proudly show the world what an absolute idiot he is, and how little he knows about basketball (or just about anything else).

NJBASEBALL22
09-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Its so stupid. He was asked a question, he answered it, probably honestly. Believe it or not, Shaq is a winner and knows what it takes to win. Not to mention,e the most important thing, he was showing confidence in is team. If he admitted he thought the Heat would "run away" with the East, he would be admitting that Boston is the weaker team, that isn't something you do. Every little ***** Heat fan as their panties in a bunch because someone didn't believe the Heat was the second coming of Crist. Wow, I didn't know ppl weren't allowed to have their own opinions. I bet none of you ever played basketball competitively because you would know there is a lot more to basketball than scoring and dunking, like rebounding, defense, and chemistry. The Heat are capable of winning it all but the are going to have their growing pains and struggles, just like everyone else.

ink
09-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Shaq's talking about them like they are rookies or something. I wonder if he even knows what he is talking about?

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/shaq_is_latest_celtic_to_speak_about_miami_heat/3257056

Please don't start threads by misquoting the main source.

PrettyBoyJ
09-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Funny they couldnt think of nothing for Bosh so they said "well, he works hard" lol

socal Luke
09-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Funny they couldnt think of nothing for Bosh so they said "well, he works hard" lol

What's real funny is that rumors had it that Kobe wanting nothing to do with Bosh coming to L.A in a trade for Bynum. Whispers around the league say that Bosh is "lazy" and has a bad work ethic,It showed that if he is so great of a player that he would've lead his Raptors to the playoffs in a WEAK Eastern confrence and he couldn't even do that! Kobe don't want those kind of bastards on his team. Only hard working guys:

Fish
Ron Ron
Pau
Blake
Barnes

Need I say more???

FlakeyFool
09-20-2010, 12:07 AM
loved his bosh comment

D Roses Bulls
09-20-2010, 12:07 AM
and the suthor of the article said he was afraid of the heat, not SHAQ

Geargo Wallace
09-20-2010, 12:08 AM
With Boozer and Stodemire going to the East Bosh won't be a allstar being the 3rd option scoring between 12-14pts a game.

If anyone's numbers are going down it will be Wade. The best teams give a lot of looks to their big men so Bosh shouldn't see a large drop in scoring. He will definitely be more efficient playing with LeBron and DWade. Bosh will be similar to what Pau is to the Lakers but with LeBron (better passer than Kobe)

stawka
09-20-2010, 12:09 AM
That is 100% wrong my friend. Your superstar left cleveland for maimi to win NOW. Wade stayed to win NOW. Bosh agreed to be a 3rd fiddle to win NOW.

By win now, I mean win a ring and then ur goal has been achieved. Riley has built a possible dynasty if it all works out. In a "win-now" mode, you don't worry about dynastys etc... Much like Boston who was in "win now" mode

AIsixersFK
09-20-2010, 12:28 AM
when is shaq not running his mouth

beasted86
09-20-2010, 12:35 AM
By win now, I mean win a ring and then ur goal has been achieved. Riley has built a possible dynasty if it all works out. In a "win-now" mode, you don't worry about dynastys etc... Much like Boston who was in "win now" mode

I don't think you understand what win now mode is.

Win now mode is when a team trades away their younger developmental talent and a bunch of picks for proven all-star veterans to give the team the best chance of winning. Both Boston and now Miami have done this.

Boston traded away 4-5 picks + Al Jefferson, Delonte West, and Jeff Green.

The Heat traded away 4 first round picks + Michael Beasley, Daequan Cook, and their 2010 first round pick.

stawka
09-20-2010, 12:44 AM
While I agree with the trading picks part, I still don't think it's "win now" for Miami. They've got another 7-8 years if they keep the team together. Boston got a dew older guys who were on the way out and needed to win, Miami got a couple of prime or near-prime players who will be together for years. Big diff

I don't think you understand what win now mode is.

Win now mode is when a team trades away their younger developmental talent and a bunch of picks for proven all-star veterans to give the team the best chance of winning. Both Boston and now Miami have done this.

Boston traded away 4-5 picks + Al Jefferson, Delonte West, and Jeff Green.

The Heat traded away 4 first round picks + Michael Beasley, Daequan Cook, and their 2010 first round pick.

beasted86
09-20-2010, 01:06 AM
While I agree with the trading picks part, I still don't think it's "win now" for Miami. They've got another 7-8 years if they keep the team together. Boston got a dew older guys who were on the way out and needed to win, Miami got a couple of prime or near-prime players who will be together for years. Big diff

Yeah, like I said, I don't think you get it.

When a team trades away all their young talent and draft picks, what exactly are they waiting on to win? mid-level role players? are they waiting for next season when they sign more past prime 34+yr olds for the veteran minimum, praying that they will finally put them over the top?

No. The Heat made these trades sacrificing building through the draft to instead try and win right now. That's what "win now" mode means.

Jemikz9Clutch
09-20-2010, 01:23 AM

you dont have to wait for another 7-8 years, reach the age of 30+, get old just to be in a "win now" mode. the boston big 3 joined forces because they dont want to finish their careers without having a ring. in miami's situation, the only difference is that they started it in their prime years. they dont form the miami 3 just to win a ring, they want rings before they become washed ups.

stawka
09-20-2010, 01:45 AM
Oh FFS. Heat fans... Stop crying! I'm on your side. This is why half of PSD hates you guys

Let's just say I'm wrong, you're right and end this crap. Goodnight

ink
09-20-2010, 01:55 AM
And this is why we don't want any more of these threads. We have had enough Heat threads in the NBA forum. Let the season start and hopefully the threads will not be quite so disruptive.