PDA

View Full Version : Iverson, China unable to strike deal

iFYouSeekAmy
09-18-2010, 11:36 AM
According to reports, Allen Iverson may not be heading to China after all. The Beijing Youth Daily is reporting that Iverson won't be signing with the Foshan club and that talks between the two sides didn't get too far after the initial conversation.

"It is unlikely he will play for us," a source from Foshan Basketball told the Chinese newspaper. "Allen Iverson was contacted, but no further step in the [process] has been made." In recent weeks, there has been much speculation that Iverson would follow the recent wave of players signing in China since he has not been contacted by any NBA teams this summer. Other players including Stephon Marbury, Quincy Douby, Steve Francis, and Flip Murray have either already signed or engaged in talks with Chinese teams this summer. The source also hinted that the team's attempt to sign Iverson didn't work out due to financial reasons. The team deemed Iverson's asking price too high and that's when discussions reached a stalemate.

While teams in China can't throw around money like NBA teams can, they make up for it with plenty of benefits and business opportunities. Take Marbury's deal with Shanxi Zhongyu, for example. His salary isn't his main source of income in China. Instead, the team has set up a company to sell his Starbury apparel, plans to open Starbury shops in the near future, and also expects to keep Marbury in some capacity once his three-year deal expires. He has become a huge star in China and could build a business empire that would allow him to make more money than anything NBA teams were offering him at this stage in his career.

At thirty-five years old, Iverson finds himself in the same boat. Similar to Marbury, he'll have to settle for a minimum contract and a limited role off of the bench if a team eventually decides to take a chance on him. Or, he can lower his asking price and reap the benefits of being one of China's biggest superstar athletes.

With such limited options, the answer seems pretty obvious for The Answer.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17353#ixzz0ztbLmsr3

xbrackattackx
09-18-2010, 12:24 PM
I like Marbury, I am stoked he is doing well in China!

Kakaroach
09-18-2010, 12:29 PM
I bet he asked for like a 10mill annual contract, no way a Chinese market team can afford that or anywhere near that kind of money.

DenButsu
09-18-2010, 12:36 PM
So I guess the question now becomes, will he choose the $1,352,181 2010-11 veterans minimum NBA salary, or retirement?

The Final Boss
09-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Who's Allen Iverson?

Hellcrooner
09-18-2010, 12:43 PM
I bet he asked for like a 10mill annual contract, no way a Chinese market team can afford that or anywhere near that kind of money.

They probably could, but they may deem not worhty of the risk.

He shoudl explore if someone in europe woudl sign him Childress was earning 4 million EUROS tax free (the tea pays the taxes) wich comes to be like 6,5 million Dollars..

BUt i doubt it.

Hustlenomics
09-18-2010, 02:03 PM
So I guess the question now becomes, will he choose the $1,352,181 2010-11 veterans minimum NBA salary, or retirement?

he did with philly, money isn't an issue he's filthy rich

whitemamba33
09-18-2010, 02:06 PM
hmmm..

Iverson gets greedy when negotiating on the only continent that will even consider looking at him.

Am I supposed to be surprised here?

BkOriginalOne
09-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Iverson is so much better than this.

29$JerZ
09-18-2010, 02:51 PM

Sad to see how the amount alone for a Vet min would more than suffice the majority of people in this country will likely be turned down for retirement.

Iron24th
09-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Poor Iverson.

LA_Raiders
09-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Go for vets min or retire...

Evolution23
09-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Iverson should go to the HEAT

Chronz
09-18-2010, 08:34 PM
why would u say no to staying relevent

Jewelz0376
09-18-2010, 08:54 PM
he did with philly, money isn't an issue he's filthy rich

The way AI gambles and spends his money...as much as I hate to say it I def wouldn't be surprised if 5-10 years after he's done playing he's filing for bankruptcy

DenButsu
09-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Iverson is so much better than this.

I'm not going to debate it, but it does beg the question:

If he really is better than this, then why aren't teams making him offers?

Tymer
09-18-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm not going to debate it, but it does beg the question:

If he really is better than this, then why aren't teams making him offers?

Because guards are a dime a dozen in the NBA, Stackhouse and Ricky Davis are no way better then Iverson but both played last season. Ricky might of even started a few games.

AIsixersFK
09-18-2010, 10:09 PM
looks like the answer has gotten himself into a situation

TheTakeOver24
09-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Iverson definitely deserves to play in the NBA. A championship caliber franchise should give him a shot, he SHOULD be humbled after these couple years.

C-Dub
09-18-2010, 10:14 PM
i still think it was to get nba teams to start talkin. thats my speculation

12to85
09-18-2010, 10:30 PM
I can't believe china wont take AI

C-Dub
09-18-2010, 10:51 PM
^dont even turn it around to that. read the article maybe

JerseysFinest
09-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Iverson is one of the most influential, interesting, and unique players in NBA History. His game and boldness really made me admire him, and I grew very fond of him when he was a 76er. I even remember when he was releasing his REEBOK shoes, i got each one from FootLocker the day after each one came out lol. It saddens me how he is being unfairly treated, and no team wants to give him a chance. We all make our mistakes in life, and we all deserve a second chance. I wish he comes back to the league everyday. I said this b4, but I wish NJ would give him a shot in training camp, but if any team would give him a chance I'd b happy. Good luck A.I.

DenButsu
09-18-2010, 11:20 PM
^dont even turn it around to that. read the article maybe

We don't know what the Chinese team offered, of course, but I think it's safe to assume that it's substantially more than any NBA teams are willing to offer him. And he'd have MUCH more prominent star status over there as well.

We don't know what AI's asking price was, but it sounds like he's Sprewelling himself by asking for way more than he has any realistic chance of getting. Because realistically, whatever that Chinese offer was, it was probably the best one he's going to get.

And so I do find it surprising that he'd turn it down, or demand so much it made them lose interest.

If he wants to be a big star making big money, it will no longer happen in the NBA. And if he wants to play in the NBA, he'll be a role player coming off the bench for the vets minimum.

It's unfortunate, but he's no longer in a position to have his cake and eat it to. And it's kind of sad that he seems to lack the self awareness to realize this.

By clinging to the idea of bring something he can no longer be, he's really shooting himself in the foot and closing the door on some of his better options.

C-Dub
09-18-2010, 11:42 PM
thats your opinion, i dont see it that way

PrettyBoyJ
09-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Hate to see him end his career like this

llemon
09-19-2010, 12:19 AM
We don't know what the Chinese team offered, of course, but I think it's safe to assume that it's substantially more than any NBA teams are willing to offer him. And he'd have MUCH more prominent star status over there as well.

We don't know what AI's asking price was, but it sounds like he's Sprewelling himself by asking for way more than he has any realistic chance of getting. Because realistically, whatever that Chinese offer was, it was probably the best one he's going to get.

And so I do find it surprising that he'd turn it down, or demand so much it made them lose interest.

If he wants to be a big star making big money, it will no longer happen in the NBA. And if he wants to play in the NBA, he'll be a role player coming off the bench for the vets minimum.

It's unfortunate, but he's no longer in a position to have his cake and eat it to. And it's kind of sad that he seems to lack the self awareness to realize this.

By clinging to the idea of bring something he can no longer be, he's really shooting himself in the foot and closing the door on some of his better options.

Each CBA team is allowed to recruit only two non-Asian players, with their combined salaries not exceeding $60,000 a month.

dodie53
09-19-2010, 12:19 AM
he should join the heat.
hehe

DenButsu
09-19-2010, 11:13 AM
thats your opinion, i dont see it that way

Fair enough.

But I'd have to say that the evidence (from what we've seen this offseason) points towards all the GMs of all 30 NBA teams agreeing with me. Because, if they didn't, then how can you explain the fact that no team has even offered him the BAE, let alone the full MLE?

Yes, my opinion is, for now, only my opinion. And I do like Allen. I wish well for him. So if I'm proven wrong, I'll be more than happy to admit it, and more than happy that he found a home in the NBA.

But the stone cold truth is: It's September 19th. Training camp starts in less than 10 days for all NBA teams.

C-Dub, I'm sorry, man. I realy do like AI. I think he gets a bad rap as a person. But if any team was gonna offer him more than the veterans minimum, they'd have done so already. And if any team was willing to offer him a role as a starter, they'd have done so already.

He needs to swallow his pride (like Robert Parrish did) and accept that the contribution he has to make now is as a secondary player. If he insists on being a starter, then he won't be an NBA player. And if he insists on making a big salary (meaning above the vet min.), then he won't be an NBA player.

I know his fans think otherwise. But if he doesn't accept a backseat role in the NBA, he'll never play in the league again. There's not a single team that will start him.