PDA

View Full Version : If there's a lockout in 2011, which side will you support?

DenButsu
09-18-2010, 07:51 AM
If there's a lockout in 2011, whose side will you support?

knicksfan42
09-18-2010, 08:07 AM
I would support the owners.

IndyFan
09-18-2010, 08:31 AM
the players.

i almost always support labor.

:)

camador22
09-18-2010, 10:00 AM
The owners for sure. Players have been getting a unreal amount of guaranteed money for too long mean while owners have been tons of money. I don't even want to start a list of players that got payed so much for nothing. A short list includes J.O, Curry, McGrady, Arenas, Hill, Brand, Peja, AK 47, and Redd are just a very short list of players that got payed a ton for nothing.

JonnyBrav000
09-18-2010, 10:21 AM
I support the players, but contracts should not be guaranteed for the life of the contract, but that should go both ways, because if a player out plays his contract he should be payed more as well. It is unfair any other way.

Hawkeye15
09-18-2010, 10:35 AM
I want to say the owners, but they are also the ones handing out these ridiculous deals we continue to see. Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay, Amare Stoudemire, for example this summer. If I were a player, with a window of time to make money in the NBA, I would seek the max I could make as well. I think the players need to meet the owners halfway, but I can't support the owners fully until they stop offering these ludicrous deals we see every summer.

daleja424
09-18-2010, 10:40 AM
The owners. The players have been making absurd sums of money for years while many teams are in the red.

That being said...I like the current cap system if they add a couple tweaks to it. So I hope that they simplay reduce the max by a couple percentage points and make exceeding the lux tax more expensive (Like 1.5 dollars for every dollar).

Hellcrooner
09-18-2010, 10:46 AM
None.

Wont support Filthy rich owners and wont support spoile d players that are happy being "slavess" ( draft, matching offers on restricted fa, Max asaarys, dont have a say on where to be traded etc etc) as long as the payday is good.

If the players would suddenly see the ilight and press for nab to be rled like the REST of THE woRLd, wich is ****ing FREE MARKET and freedom to chose, how much to earn, when to earn it and where to earn it. i woudl support them

Antipod
09-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Don`t care - i just don`t wanna lose almost an entire season of NBA :)

DenButsu
09-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Don`t care - i just don`t wanna lose almost an entire season of NBA :)

I'm afraid we will.

And I'm torn on the question. I haven't voted yet. If I take pity on a millionaire or billionaire, it's almost certainly going to be because of a situation like D-Fish's daughter, or Nene w/ his cancer, or something along those lines that's so human that it transcends money.

Like Indy Fan, I generally side with labor in disputes like this, but then again, this is no normal labor dispute. There are owners who lose money every season but maintain ownership and operations of the team because they just love basketball (from what I understand, Stan Kroenke is one of these). At the same time, there are also owners who fuel the players' expectations of how overpaid they should be by dramatically overpaying players. So there's a combination of they should be cut some slack but also they've been digging their own graves.

And then when it comes to the players, how could any rational fan, in reaction to them whining about max salaries under the new CBA possibly getting cut from say $18 million to $14 million, say anything other than boo-****ing-hoo? I was watching Melo's latest interview, in which LaLa mentioned that he has a room for his shoes, and a room for his jackets. So if he doesn't sign the Nuggets extension, he may have to move into a slightly smaller mansion and put his shoes and jackets in the same room? Oh, horror of horrors. But at the same time, the players are the engine which drives the NBA economy - no players, no game. And in that sense, I can appreciate that they want their fair slice of the pie.

If both sides had any balls at all, they'd just man up and say, "You know what? The economy sucks, and we're all gonna lose money here. And we should be thankful that unlike many, we're not losing our houses or jobs." And man up, and make serious concessions on both sides that may be unpleasant, but also show the other side that they're willing to make some sacrifices to keep the league healthy and save the 2011-12 season.

So, I guess I'm voting for both. Or neither.

Kakaroach
09-18-2010, 12:27 PM
The fans. We want to watch some basketball.

So I guess that would mean I support the owners. Players make crazy money anyway.

MU and UW Fan
09-18-2010, 12:43 PM
As much of a diehard sports fan I am, I have no sympathy for the players. They already make ridiculous amounts of money. A lot of them make more in a year than the average person will make in a lifetime. Would I miss watching basketball? Absolutely. But I don't feel for the players.

justinnum1
09-18-2010, 12:56 PM
The thing is, only like 5% of players make the crazy money...When they take the players vote, the majority of the guys that need there paychecks and will never see MAX money will cave real fast. I don't expect the lockout to last longer than 2-3months if it happens.

VinceCarter
09-18-2010, 01:26 PM
The league minimum is $400,000 a year. Nuff said.

If you don't have financial security from that then you don't know **** about handling money. If you want more money do something a lot of us do to maximize our worth INVEST.

My point is the money these guys are probably ******** about can easily be made with a little effort instead of wasting it on that room that holds all of your $40,000 a piece bling chains. :pity:

Am I supposed to feel sorry for you? I'm not because I have doubts that enough athletes are actually smart with their money.

If you're not smart with your money why am I supposed to feel bad for you if you are not taking the first step in the process by taking care of your money? :laugh2:

ink
09-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Neither really. They have jointly screwed up the league. I would lean more toward the owners though because some of the players have turned the league into a complete farce. The way the rules have been abused this off-season is unbelievable.

If taking a year off meant that we could restore some sanity to the salary levels and to the way that monopolies are being built in the league, I'd say sure, take as much time as you need.

Patman
09-18-2010, 05:06 PM
I would side with neither, they have finally restored interest in the Product and now they will destroy all that again and have to rebuild the interest again? Yeah i know it will probably come to the Lockout but i just can't believe both parties are that stupid.

The owners are filthy rich and the even the players that do not earn much get more than enough to feed their families.

In the end the players will cave in again because they just can't handle money and will need a paycheck by December or January.

Shark
09-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Arguements being made that Owners are throwing the money at the players, but thats because the way it is set up, the owners are able to spend that money and the players are taking advantage. I am in definite favour of the owners, just as I was in 2003-04 with the NHL. I love the way things have turned out in the NHL, if only a hardcap was introduced to NBA, then we will see some great things happening, finally you could say that everyone will be on an equal playing field.

in the NHL, you simply cant go over the cap, there is no Luxury tax, giving everyone an equal way of signing players and making trades.

If the NBA goes with a hard cap, you wont see stupid things like we saw in the offseason. Only then will we see players taking a much more severe salary cut, not like Bosh and James making 2 mill less a year and still making 14.5 mill, oh yea, real big pay cut. I want to see them take a 6-8 mill pay cut, lets see them wanting to play together now. If the hard cap happens, then you will want to see players being the "one" on the team, being the top paid, knowing that HE is the one thats getting the most and should be the most productive, therefore making the player EARN it. None of this midlevel and veterans minimum and go over the cap and then pay luxury tax because some owners have more money then others and its not the owners fault, the market they are in just allows them to be able to do it.

It's time for the NBA to wake up, step in, give the owners the upperhand, because remember. It does NOT start from the players, it starts from the TOP, the OWNERS. Without them being able to support it, then what do you have... scrimmage games in public parks.

LA_Raiders
09-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Owners, I hate ****ing unions... THE OWNERS OWN THE TEAMS, THEY ARE THE BOSSES...

Players are bunch of overpaid primadonnas. There should be a more controled salary range in the NBA/NFL...

Go Owners...

xILLN355
09-18-2010, 05:45 PM
owners

kjoke
09-18-2010, 05:58 PM
jsut get sponsers on jeresys and the money would balance out

pistonsfanomg
09-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Owners lol

Players contracts are ridiculous

Why offer that much when their getting endorsements and being paid by sponsors? lol

D Roses Bulls
09-18-2010, 06:26 PM
If there's a lockout in 2011, whose side will you support?

who in their right mind would support the players who make millions to play a game many people play for free??? :confused:

topdog
09-18-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't think owner's need to be protected from themselves - they can hire people to do that. I wouldn't blame my team's owner if he said "I really just don't think he's worth that much." And that's what they need to start doing.

BUT, I do think there should be mechanisms put in place to keep the guys you draft but on fair deals. I.e. some sort of arbitration or something where the team doesn't have to match ridiculous deals but still has to give out fair pay and minutes.

topdog
09-18-2010, 06:39 PM
who in their right mind would support the players who make millions to play a game many people play for free??? :confused:

I think it's more supporting a ranging pay scale and supporting accountability on the owners' end i.e. don't offer ridiculous deals.

imagesrdecievin
09-18-2010, 06:42 PM
labor all the way.

The owners are BILLIONAIRES. They maintain ownership because it is profitable. Even those owners that lose money year to year make out overall. The losses are tax write offs for their 'real' businesses. The franchises themselves also accumulate worth over time.

Read between the lines - this is just another example of big business using a poor economy as an excuse to increase profits.

The comparison to hockey is ridiculous - the profit potential of owning an nba franchise blows the nhl out of the water(although I do agree a hard cap makes for a more balanced league).

HiphopRelated
09-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Easily the players. Can't talking about players are overpaid when owners are making money just laying back.

Kobe works harder than Buss...I promise you that.

As far as talking about a hard cap affecting Miami? you better be talking about a drastically reduced hard cap. Miami had literally 2 players under contract. Miami's core would be affected the least of any contender by cap issues.

llemon
09-18-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm a Union man, therefore my sypathies are with the players, but the system is nuts on both sides, and it's the fans that are the victims in the end.

That being said, I try to spend as little money as possible on the NBA.

I love the game, so I pay for NBA League Pass Broadband.

I do not spend another cent on the NBA in any way.

Been to two NBA games in the last 20 years, and was given the tickets both times.

oO ShowTime Oo
09-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Players

NYKalltheway
09-18-2010, 08:07 PM
neither. lockout sucks

Rafer17
09-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Neither (Fans)

I don't feel sorry for any of the players because there making millions of dollars....At the same time its the owners that are handing out these rediculous contracts. For example, 20M/4Y to Darko is what I hate about this league. Darko obviously doesn't deserve that amount of money, yet its the owners that gave it to him. So you cant feel sorry for either side.

Raoul Duke
09-18-2010, 08:24 PM
If theres a lockout, I might stop watching all together. I'm starting to have some real cognitive dissonance regarding how much money is involved with pro sports.

Think about what would happen if fans boycotted the NBA for just one year. Would your life suck if you didn't get to give the NBA any money for a year? No. But the owners and players would be ****ed, and they'd have to completely re-evaluate the way they do business.

Joe Johnson is gonna make 120 million dollars over the next six years, guys. How much is that arena in Brooklyn going to cost? Five billion? The unemployment rate here in MI is something like 13% right now. Out in Cali they can't even keep enough teachers on staff for their schools. What the **** is happening here?

Evolution23
09-18-2010, 08:33 PM
ef the owners.. rich bastards lol

knicksfan42
09-18-2010, 09:03 PM
The NBA owners disgust me. Taking advantage of the poor multi-millionaires. Don't the owners know NBA players have komodo dragons to feed? Where are their kid's butlers and maids supposed to sleep? What are the NBA players to do? Sell their private jets and let their kids die (from the boredom of not being able to visit tropical islands). I for one am tired of the NBA owners subjugation of the NBA players. I say we boycott the NBA until every single NBA player is paid a living wage (35 million a year) and is given reasonable working hours (2hrs a week). END THE SUBJUGATION (MILLIONAIRES) NBA PLAYERS WANT COMPENSATION!!! END THE SUBJUGATION (MILLIONAIRES) NBA PLAYERS WANT COMPENSATION!!! END THE SUBJUGATION (MILLIONAIRES) NBA PLAYERS WANT COMPENSATION!!!

TylerSL
09-18-2010, 09:09 PM
players, and im betting there is going to be a lockout :facepalm:. You know how bad it will be if there is even a 2 year lockout? Kobe will 36 if they have even a 2 year lockout after this year. He will not be near as good. Lebron is 25 and has 15000 points, he will be 28, Wade will be 31, Durant will be 25. They will miss a good part of their careers, and that would be on the owners.

knicksfan42
09-18-2010, 09:26 PM
that would be on the owners.

Absolutely, can you believe Kobe is getting barely 24.8 million this year, barely $25,244,000 next year, barely $27,849,000 the year after that, barely $30,453,000 the year after that. Where do they expect Kobe's maids and butlers to sleep? His aircraft hanger, drinking mere $20,000 dollar wine? Please, we need the owners to know that we will not stand for this. NBA Players deserve a living wage (35 million a year) and decent working hours (2hrs a week).
END THE SUBJUGATION (MILLIONAIRES) NBA PLAYERS WANT COMPENSATION!!! END THE SUBJUGATION (MILLIONAIRES) NBA PLAYERS WANT COMPENSATION!!! END THE SUBJUGATION (MILLIONAIRES) NBA PLAYERS WANT COMPENSATION!!!

Raoul Duke
09-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Absolutely, can you believe Kobe is getting barely 24.8 million this year, barely $25,244,000 next year, barely $27,849,000 the year after that, barely $30,453,000 the year after that. Where do they expect Kobe's maids and butlers to sleep? His aircraft hanger, drinking mere $20,000 dollar wine? Please, we need the owners to know that we will not stand for this. NBA Players deserve a living wage (35 million a year) and decent working hours (2hrs a week).
END THE SUBJUGATION (MILLIONAIRES) NBA PLAYERS WANT COMPENSATION!!! END THE SUBJUGATION (MILLIONAIRES) NBA PLAYERS WANT COMPENSATION!!! END THE SUBJUGATION (MILLIONAIRES) NBA PLAYERS WANT COMPENSATION!!!

And the point goes to this gentleman. Bravo, good sir.

jackdawson
09-18-2010, 09:41 PM
It will be ****ing ******** not to have the opportunity to watch/talk basketball for a year. I can't imagine honestly how I would cope with that abstinence. I just want to watch Basketball.

Also, this forum will die for sure if that happens. What will we talk about? Off-season almost makes feel like bored as hell, let alone a year.

llemon
09-18-2010, 09:55 PM
players, and im betting there is going to be a lockout :facepalm:. You know how bad it will be if there is even a 2 year lockout? Kobe will 36 if they have even a 2 year lockout after this year. He will not be near as good. Lebron is 25 and has 15000 points, he will be 28, Wade will be 31, Durant will be 25. They will miss a good part of their careers, and that would be on the owners.

And yet, somehow, life will go on.

Ray_R
09-18-2010, 10:00 PM
None.

Wont support Filthy rich owners and wont support spoile d players that are happy being "slavess" ( draft, matching offers on restricted fa, Max asaarys, dont have a say on where to be traded etc etc) as long as the payday is good.

If the players would suddenly see the ilight and press for nab to be rled like the REST of THE woRLd, wich is ****ing FREE MARKET and freedom to chose, how much to earn, when to earn it and where to earn it. i woudl support them

If playing basketball for millions is consedring being a slave where do I sign up.

Baller1
09-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Neither. They're all rich as ****, play the game and put a show on for your less fortunate fans.

airronijordan
09-19-2010, 12:22 AM
I support the owners

abe_froman
09-19-2010, 12:24 AM
neither,they both suck

ccg34
09-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Neither, because the players get way overpaid for just playing basketball. The troops in Iraq deserve more than NBA players. I am not taking side of the league because David Stern and Clay Bennet are gay together. The homosexuals stole my team from Seattle. I have to watch KD averaging 30 ppg for OKC. Its a shame he can't be giving hope to the fans in Seattle.

DeShaun Brown
09-19-2010, 12:33 AM
Easily the players. Can't talking about players are overpaid when owners are making money just laying back.

Kobe works harder than Buss...I promise you that.

As far as talking about a hard cap affecting Miami? you better be talking about a drastically reduced hard cap. Miami had literally 2 players under contract. Miami's core would be affected the least of any contender by cap issues.

That's why I say neither. They all make millions on a game.

Hellcrooner
09-19-2010, 12:36 AM
It will be ****ing ******** not have the opportunity to watch/talk basketball for a year. I can't imagine honestly how I would cope with that abstinence. I just want to watch Basketball.

Also, this forum will die for sure if that happens. What will we talk about? Off-season almost makes feel like bored as hell, let alone a year.

Watch Euroleague?

uh wait, Free agents, may consider signing in europe if lock out goes too long, so they earn some money to feed their komodo dragons.

Uh wait......maybe people woudl start watching euroleague sicne theres no nba?

Hey Stern Hurry Up and make the spolied brats and the filthy millonires reach an agreemnet soon!!!!!!!!!

Wade>You
09-19-2010, 12:45 AM
I support the players because the owners are the ones signing them to the ridiculous contracts, so it's not fair to say the CBA's flawed.

The NBA has done all it can to protect the owners from themselves and they still think it's not their fault.

justinnum1
09-19-2010, 12:51 AM
I support the players because the owners are the ones signing them to the ridiculous contracts, so it's not fair to say the CBA's flawed.

The NBA has done all it can to protect the owners from themselves and they still think it's not their fault.

Owners definitely aren't helping themselves, but when a guy like JO is owed 23mil, and he isn't worth the Charmin he wipes his *** with, thats a problem. Both sides have problems, hopefully this gets resolved sooner rather than later.

jerellh528
09-19-2010, 12:57 AM
The side that lets me see games

fredo832
09-19-2010, 01:24 AM
All I can say is what happened to loving the sport you play? It seems to me like most owners and players all they care about now is the money. Us fans of the sport would probably love to play for free just to say we got to make it to the big leagues. I think its sometimes ridiculous to spend so much money on a player that will most likely get injured in seasons to come. These players have lost the whole point and that is playing for the love of the game! Asking for a ridiculous amount of money is pretty stupid. I am starting to wish that maybe players should get paid for what they do not for what they want people to believe they would. I mean these guys get paid there guaranteed money then there yearly amount of money then they get paid for stats that they put up during a game. The players we all love I start to hate right now cause they are part of the reason all this is happening. The A-rods, Amare, Melo, Haynesworth, I mean there is a list of players that ask for a ridiculous amount of money and for what? A-rod can't win a championship by himself and it is yet to be proven that he is still on Roids. Amare is injury prone but yet your going to give the guy 20 mil. a year? Melo isn't a superstar he is just a really good player but yet he asking for 20 plus mil a year? Haynesworth oh lord lets not get to this guy. I hate what money does to people

fredo832
09-19-2010, 01:27 AM

I am kinda with you on this but you can't just blame it on the owners when you also have players asking for a ridiculous amount of money. The owners want to win and gain more money from fan support etc. But don't forget the players are the reason they spend all there money cause they are the ones asking for millions of dollars and in some cases some of the players don't deserve for the amount they are asking for

BluejaysFan08
09-19-2010, 01:40 AM
I support the side where football is on every sunday

Gators123
09-19-2010, 01:44 AM
I support the side where football is on every sunday

Wrong forum :laugh2:

Shark
09-19-2010, 03:43 PM

I missed something here, how exactly will this be on the owners?

I mean, so you expect the owners to bow down to the players and on top of that care about their age and stats too? So when exactly do the players show any "care" towards the cause.

It starts at the top, not the players. Replace every single player on every team with members of the PSD forum and pay us all 500,000 salaries a year, I bet we will be happy and I actually think seats will still sell, lol.

michelangelo
09-19-2010, 04:20 PM
The players.

I'd hate to see LeBron have to wait on renovations to his $50 million mansion.

IBleedPurple
09-20-2010, 05:28 AM
Leaning towards the owners. $370 million lost last season? Ouch

I don't believe that any contract should be fully guaranteed. It creates all sorts of problems with injuries and poor performance. How many owners would take on Gilbert Arenas' contract right now?

The argument that owners don't have to pay these contracts fails IMO. If they don't pay to get good players, their team likely won't win, and will cause other revenue issues. If the going rate for a player will be paid by someone. I like the rookie salary/contract structure, but the rest needs some tweaking.

If I miss the majority (or all) of both the NFL and NBA seasons next year, it will be a rough several couple months.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-20-2010, 07:06 AM
i wouldnt want someone cutting my salary at all. nor do i think the nba players deserve more money. so i say they just keep the system the same and maintain it over a long period of time until inflation catches up with it.

imagesrdecievin
09-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Leaning towards the owners. $370 million lost last season? Ouch

I don't believe that any contract should be fully guaranteed. It creates all sorts of problems with injuries and poor performance. How many owners would take on Gilbert Arenas' contract right now?

The argument that owners don't have to pay these contracts fails IMO. If they don't pay to get good players, their team likely won't win, and will cause other revenue issues. If the going rate for a player will be paid by someone. I like the rookie salary/contract structure, but the rest needs some tweaking.

If I miss the majority (or all) of both the NFL and NBA seasons next year, it will be a rough several couple months.

That's the key point. Player's earn what they do because it's the going rate. Market forces determine what the players make and for all intensive purposes Market Forces = The Owners themselves.

IHeartNY
09-20-2010, 08:10 AM
I voted NEITHER.

Just because there a some (!) owners and some (!) players, that I would never ever give my personal support. On both sides, there are smart guys though, it will always be tough to get a good and welcome solution for everybody.

I'm on the Fans' side.

king4day
09-20-2010, 09:52 AM
I see no argument to support the players.
The way the league is now, only big markets have true shots at rings since no player will go elsewhere. There's few exceptions.
I can name teams on both my hands that will never be legit contenders because no one wants to play for them.

You have a window of 4-8 years following a draft to put together a team that can win it all. Then players will leave for better living environment or whatever their reasoning is.

Duncan right now is the only exception. We'll see if Durant follows suit in 5 years too.

It comes down to, they need to have non guaranteed contracts.

jackdawson
09-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Watch Euroleague?

uh wait, Free agents, may consider signing in europe if lock out goes too long, so they earn some money to feed their komodo dragons.

Uh wait......maybe people woudl start watching euroleague sicne theres no nba?

Hey Stern Hurry Up and make the spolied brats and the filthy millonires reach an agreemnet soon!!!!!!!!!

Dude, I already tried to watch some euro games but I'll be honest and I got bored real quick.

jackdawson
09-20-2010, 10:16 AM
And it's ridiculous how much NBA players get paid. You get your PhD by studying/researching for years and how much you get paid? I am not saying players don't work hard, ofcourse they do but think about the difference.

save the knicks
09-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Lock out?

No freaking way

opening night will set records this year

too much money to loose on both sides for a work stoppage

llemon
09-20-2010, 08:30 PM
in some cases some of the players don't deserve for the amount they are asking for

Then why would an owner give them that money?

fredo832
09-20-2010, 08:48 PM

Cause sometimes the Owners give up so much for what the fans want when sometimes what us fans want isn't the right thing for the team or the franchise.

llemon
09-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Cause sometimes the Owners give up so much for what the fans want when sometimes what us fans want isn't the right thing for the team or the franchise.

Then those owners are stupid and part of the reason many teams are losing money.

Boo2u
09-20-2010, 09:05 PM
The only answer to avoid a lockout is to support BOTH. I lean more in favor of the owners, but these issues only get resolved with some give and take from both sides. What sucks, is that there's no third party involved negotiating for the rights of the fans. In the end, the players and owners will work out a deal. And we'll all get to pay more for tickets.

Boo2u
09-20-2010, 09:08 PM

... and the owners pay the inflated salaries that players demand, because the only way to make money as an owner is to field a competitive team.

One other comment I have to make on supporting the players, across all the major sports. The superstars make the crazy salaries, along with the early-drafted rookies. Then the majority of the other players are the ones who need the support.

llemon
09-20-2010, 09:22 PM
... and the owners pay the inflated salaries that players demand, because the only way to make money as an owner is to field a competitive team.

So why are so many owners (supposedly) losing money?

Chicken or the egg?

ldawg
09-20-2010, 10:45 PM
I hate to say this but I have to go with the owners. I hate when players only play hard during a contract year, I also hate when a player sign a huge contract 6 yrs and get injured or do dumb stuff flirting with the law and becomes a distraction tie up money and the fans suffers watching this cap struck suck team who can't sign no one in his absents. I also think one player making 1 mil vs the other guy making 29 mil is crazy they should raise the min and drop the max and lower the amount of years. Lebron and the heat proves they are over paid and not hurting for money like Speewell claimed. I can understand a vet who is one step from retiring and as already made his money taking a pay cut to chase a ring. But when you got young talent teaming up taking pay cuts? Miami is a whole team of players taking volunteer pay cuts, what does that tell you? So why should i watch a cap stuck team that over paid a sorry player who played hard in his contract year only?