PDA

View Full Version : Mock Offseason Playoffs - NBA Finals: 1 Dallas Mavericks vs. 1 Orlando Magic

Catfish1314
09-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Every summer, PSD holds an NBA Mock Offseason. Exactly what it sounds like, this game is a mock of the real 2010 offseason which starts off from the date the Lakers won the NBA Championship. Posters on PSD act as the GMs of assigned teams and they make trades, draft players, and sign free agents to try to create the best team. These are the Mock NBA Playoffs.

This NBA Finals match-up features the top seeded Orlando Magic versus the top seeded Dallas Mavericks. This series will be played on a neutral site.

Vote for who you think would win in a 7 game series. Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Magic:

C-Dwight Howard/Aaron Gray
PF-Elton Brand/Glen Davis
SF-Marvin Williams/Jerry Stackhouse
SG-Dwyane Wade/Ronald Murray/Antoine Wright
PG-Jameer Nelson/Eddie House

Mavericks:

C-Andrew Bynum/DeSagana Diop
PF-Dirk Nowitzki/Leon Powe
SF-Grant Hill/James Posey
SG-Ray Allen/Michael Finley
PG-Deron Williams/Greg Buckner

Magic Write-up:

First off, we would like to congratulate ebbs on advancing to the Finals. He built a damn good Mavs team and we wish him the best of luck in this series.

Front Court:

The Magic boast the unquestionable #1 Center in the NBA today in Dwight Howard. His opponent this series is none other than Andrew Bynum. While Bynum is a solid center on both ends of the floor, he lacks the athleticism to defend Howard. Consider the fact that when Howard has faced Bynum in the past (8 total games), Bynum has never scored more than 14 points in a single game and only once has he had over 6 rebounds. Those are stats that are difficult to ignore. Last year Howard put up 21 ppg and 16 rpg against Bynum. Bynum can try all he wants to stop Howard in this series but it remains likely that past troubles will cause him to come up short once again. It also does not help that the Mavs have no depth in their front court to help Bynum out, Diop has struggled the last few years to be a role player on average teams, he certainly will provide no match for Howard in this series.

The other front court matchup features Elton Brand and Dirk Nowitzki. Now it is obvious that Dirk is the better player but one cannot overlook Brand in this series. Elton Brand despite his past injury troubles has remained a solid defender. He has lost a lot of weight this off-season and has really recommitted himself this year to taking his game back to an elite level. In the two meetings between Brand and Nowitzki last year, Dirk shot 38% from the field and struggled often to find his shot. We believe Brand is quick enough to stay with Nowitzki and provide an adequate defensive match up. Brand also keeps Dirk honest on the defensive end as Brand has a strong post game that should ensure Dirk canít get a breather on the defensive end.

Marvin Williams and Grant Hill will play their parts in this series. Williams has a major physical advantage but Hill is clearly the smarter player. In terms of production, both in the playoffs and the regular season, these guys are close. This match-up is of minimal importance in the series.

Backcourt:

This is where we feel the series is won for us. Ray Allenís recent Finals performance proves how much he has lost. He can still get around those screens well enough but once he does, heís far streakier from outside than he used to be. The Celtics efficient team defense masked Allenís shortcomings as an individual defender, but the Mavs team lacks that same defensive tenacity. Dwyane Wade will thoroughly dominate and expose Allen and the Mavs in this series.

Based on last season, Deron Williams is the best point guard in the NBA and we have little doubt he would outplay Jameer Nelson in this series. But unlike Allen, Nelson has nowhere to go but up as a player. He was the Magicís floor general and their most consistent player in the 2009 playoffs, averaging 19 and 5 against two of the best defensive point guards in the NBA. He shot 40 percent from deep last postseason with Vince Carter as his backcourt mate. Now he has the presence of Wade to benefit from.

Bench:

Both Benchesí lack much star power but the Orlando bench offers great playoff experience and scoring. Glen Davis is coming off a great post season for the Celtics as he filled in admirably for KG when he was out. Davis has developed a solid post game which is capable for going off for 20 points any given night. Eddie House provides another capable shooter and playoff vet off the bench for the Magic and certainly provides more experience than the little used Buckner for the Mavs. Stackhouse and flip Murray provide solid shooting from the wing position which should come in handy with Howard being doubled in the post. As a result we have to give the advantage to the Magic.

Overall, this match-up comes down to the potency of Wade and Howard. Bostonís vaunted defensive unit was completely unable to contain Wade in last yearís playoffs and had almost as trouble with Dwight two rounds later. Wade averaged 33 points and shot almost 60 percent from the field over the course of five games against the Celtics. The Mavs inferior defensive unit is tasked with containing both Wade and Dwight. They lack the personnel to do so.

Defense wins championships. We certainly do not have the best defensive team in the mock, but we do boast a superior defensive unit in this series. This Mavs team features some hellacious offensive firepower, but we have more.

The ability of Wade and Howard to get Bynum in foul trouble and expose the Mavs lack of depth at center will be key in this series as well. With Diop on the floor for 14-20 minutes a game, Howard will destroy this team.

Mavs Write-up:

I want to start my write up off, by hopefully removing the deer out of the magic headlights. The Magic have a great team and I donít think you can go wrong voting for either team in the finals. However I think a lot of posters blindly have voted for the magic due to their immense star power. I made a pretty controversial trade near the end of the redraft gambling on the fact that I would indeed play the Magic in the finals. Deron and Dirk gives me 2 superstars. Wade, Dirk, Deron, Dwight are all fantastic players and regardless of your list all 4 of them are in the top 10. The following is how according to PSD players were voted.

Deron your #1 PG, Jameer didnít make the list.

Ray Allen your # 7 SG, VS. Dwyane Wade #2 SG

Andrew Bynum your #5 C, VS. Dwight your #1 C

Dirk Nowitzki your #2 PF VS. Brand wasnít even a candidate. (A lot of the more knowledgeable posters had Dirk #1.)

Marvin and Grant were both not mentioned.

I wanted to show how the star power is even in this thing. I think the difference maker here is the supporting cast. Deron is going to destroy Jameer, Wade will destroy Ray, and Dirk is going to destroy Elton Brand. After that is where things get interesting. Itís no secret Dwight isnít a offensive dynamo. Though he has his moments of dominance due to pure power his arsenal of post moves is shall we say week. Bynum however is one of the best options to guard Dwight possible. Bynumís size allows him to body Dwight on D and not be dominated by pure power like a smaller 5 would. On Offence Bynumís scoring ability will force Dwight to guard him. Dwight isnít going to be able to play help side D all game swatting balls in the middle like he normally would. Catfish himself on Bynum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish1314
Andrew Bynum is enormous. He's 7'0, 270-280 pounds with broad shoulders and freakishly long arms. People underestimate how much he means to the Lakers when he's on the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish1314
Bynum, while not as smart as Camby, does a great job of bodying up on other bigs.
Hill and Marvin are sort of a wash. I would rather have Hill running the floor and shooting for me. But I would probably rather have Marvin defensively.

I think what gives me the edge here is that we both have 2 superstars but 2 of mine have clear advantages in there matchup where only 1 of the Magicís does. Aside from Bogut, Bynum would be my ideal choice to slow down Dwight. I also think when you take away our 2 stars Ray Allen, Andrew Bynum, and Grant Hill far outweighs Elton Brand, Jameer Nelson, and Marvin Williams. Ray Allen and Andrew Bynum themselves are minor stars.
I think this should be a close matchup and I will be disappointed in all honesty if it isnít a race to the finish. Congrats to MHC, and Catfish and best of luck.

Catfish1314
09-17-2010, 11:56 PM
However I think a lot of posters blindly have voted for the magic due to their immense star power

The fact we had the better team in the first three rounds had nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

Baller1
09-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Tough, tough decision. I'll take Dallas in 7.

Sportfan
09-18-2010, 12:23 AM
I've been hating on mavs since the 2nd round, but I think they match up nicely here. I still think age will hurt them, Magic plz

Mr. Baller
09-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Magic in 6. Awesome job Catfish, MHC, and Ebbs

Ragun
09-18-2010, 11:34 AM
i like the mavericks. nowitzki will flat out rape brand...nowitzki will just shoot over him all day...howard should have some trouble trying to score on bynum too.

Ebbs
09-18-2010, 11:45 AM
The fact we had the better team in the first three rounds had nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

Hey man not what I'm saying you clearly deserved to win but I felt like with the way you still rolled over teams with so few responses indicated voters weren't really looking.

homestarunner93
09-18-2010, 11:46 AM
The Mavs depth is so atrocious, and by this point, their starters would be about done. I'll take the Magic.

Ebbs
09-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Lol homestar have you ever voted for me in any round of any PSD game lol?

Catfish1314
09-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey man not what I'm saying you clearly deserved to win but I felt like with the way you still rolled over teams with so few responses indicated voters weren't really looking.

Could also mean they're literally too lazy to make a post in the thread. You're just speculating.

Ebbs
09-18-2010, 12:00 PM
I suppose. This turning out to be a good matchup just like I hoped!

homestarunner93
09-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Lol homestar have you ever voted for me in any round of any PSD game lol?

Yes, but I certainly won't vote for a team that can't play anyone but their starters and be confident about what they're fielding.

Ebbs
09-18-2010, 12:31 PM
That's a fair assesment I guess but the magic bench isn't pretty. And he says he has more playoff experience but I'm pretty sure Finley, Posey, and Powe have as much if not more.

KnicksorBust
09-18-2010, 01:18 PM
When two teams are close, I go with the team with the best player and the best defense. Magic in 7.

WhyDuquette
09-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Magic-- I think the mavs will be exhausted, and Wade has led a team to a championship on his back, allen cant guard him, couple that with big baby coming off the bench and the better defensive team i got the magic in a very close series

homestarunner93
09-19-2010, 12:12 AM
That's a fair assesment I guess but the magic bench isn't pretty. And he says he has more playoff experience but I'm pretty sure Finley, Posey, and Powe have as much if not more.

You're right, their bench isn't anything special either, but it has an advantage over yours in every spot but maybe SF, which is probably a wash.

saintdrew
09-19-2010, 01:40 AM
What is the point of this?

dhopisthename
09-19-2010, 01:49 AM
wade + howard wins it for me.

Ebbs
09-19-2010, 04:26 PM
I have fallen behind a bit. 4th quarter baby!

HoopsDrive
09-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Wow... well I dont see a clear cut winner in this thing. Toss up in 7.

The_Jamal
09-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Have to go with the Magic again. While the Mavs starting 5 is the best in the mock, all 5 guys can't play 48 mins. and theirs literally no one on their bench who should be more than a 10-12 player on most benches. And if you can maybe max Bynum 35 mins a game if your lucky, leaving the Mavs quite vunerable. Eddie House, Flip Murray, and Glen Davis are all serviceable back-ups, while not fantastic, can give pretty solid production and the Magic might be even better when Davis comes in for Brand depending where he is health wise. Overall, fantastic work by both teams, but the lack of bench by the Mavs, and the Wade Vs Allen match-up, has me taking the Magic in 6

Ebbs
09-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Mhm so in the end it seems the bench was my down fall. A question for anybody willing to answer? This was my team:

C: Andrew Bogut/ Birdman
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/ Leon Powe
SF: Trevor Ariza/ Grant Hill/ Ryan Gomes
SG: Ray Allen/ Finley
PG: Rajon Rondo/ Leandro Barbosa

Obviously a much deeper team and I felt like it was the best team in the league but I was repeatedly told that the lakers and Magic were better then me. 2 questions.

1: Was that team better, would I still be in the finals in your opinion?
2: If so would you have taken that team over this Magic team?

My gut told me to stay put but I destroyed my depth in order to get another superstar in Deron.

The_Jamal
09-19-2010, 06:59 PM
that team destroys the one you have now imo. While Williams is the best PG in the league, Rondo is a top 5 PG to pretty much everyone. Bogut is top 2, and your bench rotation would have been a nice one with Barbosa, Hill, and Birdman. Also Gomes, Finley, and Powe are all where they should be on the bench in the 9,10,11 man roles maybe getting 5-6 mins a game. So yea, I'd take that club over the Magic

Ebbs
09-19-2010, 08:47 PM
****** but fair. I kind of sold out goign for name value over the more talented all around team.

Catfish1314
09-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Personally, I thought the team you have now was more threatening than the other one. But I'm a sucker for starpower over depth.

I also thought it would be closer than this. Regardless, you put together a great team.

Ebbs
09-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Appreciate it catfish, you guys were the favorites going in and you and MHC did a great job gambling and collecting the pay day on Wade. It was close for awhile not sure what happened but either way it was fun and although, I'm not the redraft and mock champ its nice to have made the finals in both :)

Ill get ya in the NBA all time :P

Catfish1314
09-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Appreciate it catfish, you guys were the favorites going in and you and MHC did a great job gambling and collecting the pay day on Wade. It was close for awhile not sure what happened but either way it was fun and although, I'm not the redraft and mock champ its nice to have made the finals in both :)

Ill get ya in the NBA all time :P

I don't doubt it. I suck at ReDrafts :o

Super.
09-20-2010, 12:02 AM
I liked the team with Rondo THB Ebbs. Ether way you did a great job

Ebbs
09-20-2010, 10:29 AM
I liked the team with Rondo THB Ebbs. Ether way you did a great job

Thanks man, appreciate it.

KnicksorBust
09-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Mhm so in the end it seems the bench was my down fall. A question for anybody willing to answer? This was my team:

C: Andrew Bogut/ Birdman
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/ Leon Powe
SF: Trevor Ariza/ Grant Hill/ Ryan Gomes
SG: Ray Allen/ Finley
PG: Rajon Rondo/ Leandro Barbosa

Obviously a much deeper team and I felt like it was the best team in the league but I was repeatedly told that the lakers and Magic were better then me. 2 questions.

1: Was that team better, would I still be in the finals in your opinion?
2: If so would you have taken that team over this Magic team?

My gut told me to stay put but I destroyed my depth in order to get another superstar in Deron.

I thought this was the best team in the redraft.

Ebbs
09-20-2010, 11:51 AM
haha I shouldn't have listened to everybody lol. Obviously you WB, Rosh, and Catfish/mhc couldnt say that as I was your competition.