PDA

View Full Version : Jays to have affiliation with Vancouver Canadians

cambob
09-17-2010, 12:05 PM
The only minor-league baseball club in Canada is set to become an affiliate of the only major league one.

According to the Globe and Mail, the Vancouver Canadians, who have competed in the Northwest League as the Oakland Athletics’ short-season affiliate since 2000, will soon announce a switch in affiliation to the Toronto Blue Jays.

The move would naturally be received well by baseball fans in parts of B.C. who are already fans of the Blue Jays.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2010/09/17/jays_vancouver/

The_Jet11
09-17-2010, 12:17 PM
sooo sick! now let's lock up a better location for the AAA affiliate and we'll be in business!
Ottawa or Montreal anyone??

broncosfan_101
09-17-2010, 01:58 PM
That's cool, but I'd argue that the majority of baseball fans in BC are Mariners fans...at least most of the ones that I know are.

Dol-Fan
09-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Still sucks from a distance point of view, but it's good to see a Canadian affiliate. Although I would agree that much of B.C. would be fans of the Mariners, not the Jays.

nstojic
09-17-2010, 02:39 PM
That's cool, but I'd argue that the majority of baseball fans in BC are Mariners fans...at least most of the ones that I know are.

let's show them the jay way :dance:

cambob
09-17-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm sooo looking forward to seeing the prospects talked about on this site playing here on their way (hopefully) to the show! We used to have Triple A here.....

broncosfan_101
09-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Still sucks from a distance point of view, but it's good to see a Canadian affiliate. Although I would agree that much of B.C. would be fans of the Mariners, not the Jays.

I don't think distance is a problem for any affiliate other than our AAA team. That's where it's nice to be able to rush players up in emergency scenarios. But for A ball teams, I'd say it doesn't matter at all.

carson005
09-17-2010, 06:52 PM
:clap:

T.O.Bombinators
09-17-2010, 06:54 PM
sick..hopefully i can make it out to one

H-MYK
09-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Well, it seems appropriate

lukeem21
09-17-2010, 08:37 PM

i am pretty sure you're both right and that is why i am a big fan of this move and hope we continue to push to get minor league teams across canada..... BC baseball fans should/ could be jays fans, same with baseball fans across canada but there is not much push by the jays to tap that national market... this should help though, baseball fans can watch the good minor league system we've built up over the past couple years and then they'll be fans of the players that get called up to the jays and have personal/ emotional ties to the team

jaysrocksox
09-19-2010, 06:53 PM
There used to be minor league teams across Canada, they didn't work. We had two here in Niagara, a Jays affiliate, also a Pirates. Both low A ball. However, I do have to question whether their demise had something to do with the Blue Jays fall after the strike. Both of these teams left town in the late 90s. I saw Vernon Wells play in St. Catharines, and Tim Wakefield play in Welland!