PDA

View Full Version : Sponsors in NBA Jerseys one step closer.

Hellcrooner
09-17-2010, 09:14 AM
As you Know european teams, specially Soccer but basketballs and other sports too have sponsors and brands anouncing themselves in players Jerseys.

Nba and american sports have never done that yet.

The thin of the sponsors, the positive is they imput money on the team, wich for example for teams that have attendave problems would be a cool way to balance their budget o they dont have losses nd they dont have to ever be moved to other town.

I was watching the other day the wnba finals ( yep no fiba, no nba, no euroleague, nothing but Wnba on tv and im a basjketball junkie :p)
and something grabbed my attention ;
http://www.marca.com/2010/09/15/baloncesto/nba/1284534597.html see the picture? bbva thats an spanish bank anouncing on the hjersey.

So i decided to take alook at the web to see what the hell did that mean

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/09/13/bbva-nba-partnership/index.html

FOr what i understand they are going to sponsor jsut the league and playoffs. Also lakers adn Barcelona will wear the sponsor in the game this october.

So when the games are aired ithey anre not Nba games but Nba -bbva games, But i guess i f part of the deall is that in the wnba finals the name was in the jeseys i think they might have signed tooo than it happens again in the Nba finals.

THis is a first step, so i can see soon indivifual nba teams aiming to get their own sponsors for their shirt.

Do you see it hapenign?

Do you want it t happen.?

avrpatsfan
09-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Nooooooo.

AIsixersFK
09-17-2010, 09:56 AM
jerseys*

Hellcrooner
09-17-2010, 10:00 AM
yep jerseys.

I odnt jknow how i mamaged to do the typo Twice!!!

sep11ie
09-17-2010, 10:08 AM
yep jerseys.

I have an idea.

Bucsfan
09-17-2010, 10:20 AM
i would be ok with it if it helped lower ticket prices

and the team logos would have to remain and be tastefully done and not cluttered like lots of euro jerseys

The Miami Cheat
09-17-2010, 10:25 AM
jerseys*

i was gonna say the same thing lol

beasted86
09-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Would you buy a jersey with advertising on it?

PC
09-17-2010, 10:29 AM
It may be because I'm not used to it but I wouldn't want a Knicks jersey to have sponsors on it...

Hellcrooner
09-17-2010, 10:30 AM

i have tthe Barcelona Fc with Unicef in it.

beasted86
09-17-2010, 10:40 AM
I just think it's a lame idea. It throws a whole new spin on old jerseys if they change advertisers the next season. For the 2011 season you might have the newest looking jersey, then 2012 season they change sponsors and the jersey doesn't look the same.

But I don't wear jerseys anyway, so whatever...

xbrackattackx
09-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Everyone Knocking this, Yea it's cluttered a little, but because sponsors fit some of the Bills it makes it easier on the owner and Players will take less to play if they know that say Nike or Adidas or Mac or Verzion or Microsoft is gonna pay them for rocking their sponsor.

29$JerZ
09-17-2010, 11:03 AM
I go to ball games to watch my team players represent the city and the Knicks, not bank of America and Cheetos. No thank you to this idea, hope it doesn't happen.

DaBUU
09-17-2010, 12:07 PM
MLS does it in America (I know who cares). Point is it looks effen horrible on the Chicago Fire, they're not the Fire, they're the Chicago Best Buy. The jersey has a little fire logo on the shoulder and a giant Best Buy logo across the chest. So no to the NBA whoring themsleves out like Euro sports.

HoopsDrive
09-17-2010, 12:10 PM

I already have countless from football teams.

DaBUU
09-17-2010, 12:11 PM
I already have countless from football teams.

you mean soccer teams. Football teams dont have sponsors, at least yet. (real football teams such as Da Bears, Giants, 49ers, etc.)

HoopsDrive
09-17-2010, 12:14 PM
you mean soccer teams. Football teams dont have sponsors, at least yet. (real football teams such as Da Bears, Giants, 49ers, etc.)

No, I mean football since I don't call it soccer. If I was referring to the one you mentioned I would have called it American football.

DaBUU
09-17-2010, 12:16 PM
No, I mean football since I don't call it soccer. If I was referring to the one you mentioned I would have called it American football.

chill out der, just messin with you. call it what you want

Hindy27
09-17-2010, 12:17 PM
I've always thought it was strange that American sports never had sponsors, what with the US being probably the most commercially driven country in the world.

Don't get me wrong, I voted no on this, but there are pros and cons to this sort of thing.
Sure most of the jerseys might look a little uglier, but sometimes they don't look too bad when fitted with the right sponsor. Like having a matching colour to the team's jersey or not having an in your face ugly type logo that will ruin any jersey.

The US has had enough money floating around in it's sports that it's never needed to sell their jerseys off, and I have always liked that.

However, there is a lot of money to be made with sponsors, here's the list for the EPL teams.

CLUB SHIRT SPONSOR ESTIMATED ANNUAL VALUE($USD)
Liverpool Standard Chartered $31.17M
Manchester United Aon Corp. $31.17M
Chelsea Samsung $21.5M
Tottenham Hotspur Autonomy $15.58M
Manchester City Etihad Airlines $11.69M
Arsenal Emirates Airlines $8.57M
Aston Villa FxPro $7.79M
Fulham FxPro $6.23M
Everton Chang Beer $4.05M
Newcastle Northern Rock $3.9M
West Ham SBOBET $2.65M
Blackburn Crown Paints $2.34M
Stoke City Britannia $1.56M
Sunderland Tombola $1.56M
Bolton 188Bet $1.17M
West Bromwich Homeserve $1.17M
Wigan 188Bet $1.01M
Birmingham City F&C Investments $779,000
Blackpool Carbrini $623,000
Wolverhampton Sportingbet $623,000

There is a big difference in what teams get according to how big the clubs are and pretty much keeps the big clubs rich and the poorer clubs poor. They don't have a salary cap though, so they will always have the same clubs at the top and the same ones at the bottom, with the odd exception here or there when some billionaire buys a club etc.

If the NBA kept it's salary cap it would still be an even competition, well that's the idea anyway. One big difference is that most teams will become more profitable.

As I said though I like it the way it is.

The only reason the NBA would need to change is if the Euro League gets bigger and starts offering similar money. Sure the top players won't leave but a lot of the middle tier players might be tempted to go for more money, as well as more European players staying in Europe. That would hurt the NBA's depth and bringing in sponsors would be a way to fix it.

HoopsDrive
09-17-2010, 12:23 PM
chill out der, just messin with you. call it what you want

Aightt

Ethix11
09-17-2010, 12:51 PM
I dont want it to happen. I voted yes by accident. Its dumb. It says Bing right in front of those Seattle Jerseys like its their name. It has nothing to do with the game so keep it on the billboards.

arkanian215
09-17-2010, 01:06 PM
MLS does it in America (I know who cares). Point is it looks effen horrible on the Chicago Fire, they're not the Fire, they're the Chicago Best Buy. The jersey has a little fire logo on the shoulder and a giant Best Buy logo across the chest. So no to the NBA whoring themsleves out like Euro sports.

It looks bad sure but it also generates money that the team and the league. I think the Revs, FCD and Kansas City are the only teams without sponsors. If it's going to help produce quality on the field, I don't care that much about what they look like. I'm gonna support my team regardless, even it does have a company's name in the team name.

arkanian215
09-17-2010, 01:12 PM
I've always thought it was strange that American sports never had sponsors, what with the US being probably the most commercially driven country in the world.

Don't get me wrong, I voted no on this, but there are pros and cons to this sort of thing.
Sure most of the jerseys might look a little uglier, but sometimes they don't look too bad when fitted with the right sponsor. Like having a matching colour to the team's jersey or not having an in your face ugly type logo that will ruin any jersey.

The US has had enough money floating around in it's sports that it's never needed to sell their jerseys off, and I have always liked that.

However, there is a lot of money to be made with sponsors, here's the list for the EPL teams.

CLUB SHIRT SPONSOR ESTIMATED ANNUAL VALUE($USD)
Liverpool Standard Chartered $31.17M
Manchester United Aon Corp. $31.17M
Chelsea Samsung $21.5M
Tottenham Hotspur Autonomy $15.58M
Manchester City Etihad Airlines $11.69M
Arsenal Emirates Airlines $8.57M
Aston Villa FxPro $7.79M
Fulham FxPro $6.23M
Everton Chang Beer $4.05M
Newcastle Northern Rock $3.9M
West Ham SBOBET $2.65M
Blackburn Crown Paints $2.34M
Stoke City Britannia $1.56M
Sunderland Tombola $1.56M
Bolton 188Bet $1.17M
West Bromwich Homeserve $1.17M
Wigan 188Bet $1.01M
Birmingham City F&C Investments $779,000
Blackpool Carbrini $623,000

There is a big difference in what teams get according to how big the clubs are and pretty much keeps the big clubs rich and the poorer clubs poor. They don't have a salary cap though, so they will always have the same clubs at the top and the same ones at the bottom, with the odd exception here or there when some billionaire buys a club etc.

If the NBA kept it's salary cap it would still be an even competition, well that's the idea anyway. One big difference is that most teams will become more profitable.

As I said though I like it the way it is.

The only reason the NBA would need to change is if the Euro League gets bigger and starts offering similar money. Sure the top players won't leave but a lot of the middle tier players might be tempted to go for more money, as well as more European players staying in Europe. That would hurt the NBA's depth and bringing in sponsors would be a way to fix it.

Everton is up for renegotiation in a year I think. We should be netting closer to $10 million considering our recent form. That $10 million can go towards buying new players or paying for contract extensions meaning a better team overall -> wins.

mikantsass
09-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Lol you were watching the WNBA..... hahahahahhahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

RCarlson85
09-17-2010, 01:20 PM
I have an idea.

LOL! That's what I was thinking.

DaBUU
09-17-2010, 01:22 PM

Poor Wolverhampton, i love that team

RCarlson85
09-17-2010, 01:27 PM

I agree with this. I don't want to see it in any of the major U.S. sports. Forget soccer. I have seen highlights recently from the WNBA playoffs and that was the first time I realized they had sponsors on their jerseys. It looks ridiculous. I didn't even know who the teams were because they sponsor names were larger than the team name.

I wouldn't buy a jersey if there were advertisements on it. If I buy a jersey, I buy it for the team/player. I'm not going to walk around advertising for some random company, especially since I paid for it rather than getting paid for it.

NYKalltheway
09-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Sponsors as part of the team name has nothing to do with jersey sponsors. Except that most name sponsors request that their brand is on the jersey too.

It's mostly teams that DESPERATELY NEED MONEY that.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0PDoTB2sJNMYEMAChCjzbkF/SIG=1237j1vgv/EXP=1284833782/**http%3a//www.lovellsoccer.co.uk/products/7257.jpg

Current European champions. Official name FC Internazionale di Milano, common name Inter. Jersey sponsor, Pirelli, for the past 15 years or so. Pirelli CEO is an avid Inter fan and along with Inter owner, they have spent probably the most money in the game for everything around the team (transfers, salaries etc), even maybe more than Real Madrid or Chelsea.

It has nothing to do with "whoring" the game. It's called marketing. Sponsors do their advertising, teams get more money so that the owners/fans(ticket prices etc) give less.

Doubt this will work in the NBA though, and seriously can't understand why US professional sports have nothing to do with capitalism like the rest of the country!

static_inferno
09-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Hell no. I know sponsors and advertisements are what makes money for teams and the NBA especially with TV, but that is too much. I mean it used to be the MVP Award, and now its the MVP Award presented by Kia. We have to draw a line somewhere.

Wade>You
09-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Ugh, I hate the international influence and what it has done to our beloved sport.

The Raven
09-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Frankly i would take a pass on this but, if it in fact does happen, then meh alright

wesso2008
09-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Ads on jerseys? FAIL... its all bout that money anymore. If it happens it happens not like anyone can do anything bout it...

kArSoN RyDaH
09-17-2010, 05:44 PM
i would not purchase a kobe bryant jersey with Kellogs logo on it. or Penzoil or something like that. it just wouldnt be appealing to me. as good as it might be for the NBA i think jersey sells would plummet

ZebraCity916
09-17-2010, 10:39 PM
I hope NBA teams never have sponsors. I don't think they need to have sponsors though cause they make enough money. If the WNBA made as much as the NBA they wouldn't have sponsors.

_KB24_
09-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Hell no. In America we love tradition and don't tell me for a second that you think this would ever become a possibility. The NBA, NHL, MLB, and Football will always remain jersey add free.

SA5195
09-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Ahh damn, now i'll see "Rogers" aka Robbers in a Raps uniform.

thescore53
09-17-2010, 11:29 PM
yep jerseys.

:laugh2: sorry i had to let that out.

topdog
09-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Stern should just make a rule that if you wear a headband it has to have a sponsor on it. lol

thescore53
09-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Hell no. In America we love tradition and don't tell me for a second that you think this would ever become a possibility. The NBA, NHL, MLB, and Football will always remain jersey add free.

you know Canada is apart of those leagues to right ?

thescore53
09-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Ahh damn, now i'll see "Rogers" aka Robbers in a Raps uniform.

bell are the true robbers. damn they just dont take no for an answer.

godolphins
09-17-2010, 11:36 PM
**** advertisements on NBA jerseys.

Rafer17
09-17-2010, 11:38 PM
No. I hate this idea - I see enough advertising...Its like every where you look now a days it "buy my product", buy this, buy that.

o0jmadr0x0o
09-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Ugh, I hate the international influence and what it has done to our beloved sport.

wow thats just stupid.

_KB24_
09-17-2010, 11:43 PM
you know Canada is apart of those leagues to right ?

Don't want to get started on a whole Canada/US culture debate. You can't deny that our traditions influence you guys, not the other way around.

thescore53
09-17-2010, 11:44 PM

what do u mean our ? it doesn't belong to u. its a global game.

Hellcrooner
09-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Id bet money that the minute sponsors woudl be allowed Chicago woudl become the Chicago RED Bulls

thescore53
09-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Don't want to get started on a whole Canada/US culture debate. You can't deny that our traditions influence you guys, not the other way around.

true. but by American your including Canada as in north Americans right ? you guys kinda treat Canada as some far away land but we're like family.

Rego247
09-17-2010, 11:46 PM
correct me if im wrong dont the mavs practice jerseys have HDNET written on them, and doesnt cuban own HDNET?

thescore53
09-17-2010, 11:48 PM
haven't the raptors been advertising Jurassic park for 15 years now ?

Rego247
09-17-2010, 11:52 PM

what traditions are those? im curious.

Kakaroach
09-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Its really not as bad as most people think. Being a huge soccer fan, its actually not that bad. In some cases, it actually makes the jersey look better. All in all, its not that bad. Might be that extra money your team needs as well.

Hellcrooner
09-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Its really not as bad as most people think. Being a huge soccer fan, its actually not that bad. In some cases, it actually makes the jersey look better. All in all, its not that bad. Might be that extra money your team needs as well.

Not to mention i would LOVe this Sponsor for the Heat.

http://shop.belgianshop.com/acatalog/Judas_beer.jpg

Ray_R
09-18-2010, 12:17 AM
true. but by American your including Canada as in north Americans right ? you guys kinda treat Canada as some far away land but we're like family.

Yea Canada is like our Gay cousin and mexico our drunk uncle it all works out.:)

Rego247
09-18-2010, 12:27 AM
haven't the raptors been advertising Jurassic park for 15 years now ?

lol yea, im still waiting for another sequel. 2 and 3 were whack.

thescore53
09-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Yea Canada is like our Gay cousin and mexico our drunk uncle it all works out.:)

lets just canada is a pc and america is a mac :D

_KB24_
09-18-2010, 12:54 AM

Yes, my friend. Vancouver is better than half of the cities here in the states. Sorry, but Toronto just sucks! :p

GoatMilk
09-18-2010, 02:27 AM
i dont know if it was mentioned in here yet, but the NBA is allowing teams to have sponsors for their practice jerseys

the mavs and suns did last year

gwrighter
09-18-2010, 02:57 AM
The last thing the already market whore nba needs are goddamned apple logo's on its fuhking jersey's. Its hard enough to watch commercials every 3 minutes during a game n now i have to see the damn logo's on the jerseys!? screwww that. the last thing the nba needs is a viagara plastered over the lakers white, or guiness slammed over the celtics jersey. hellls no.

thescore53
09-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Yes, my friend. Vancouver is better than half of the cities here in the states. Sorry, but Toronto just sucks! :p

really ? lol. the only thing vancouver has on toronto is crackheads :cool: but seriously toronto is the best city in canada. vancouver natives are probably gonna come in now and try to debunk me.

thescore53
09-18-2010, 08:36 AM
I'd bet money that the minute sponsors would be allowed Chicago would become the Chicago RED Bulls

fixed.

xxseven72ducexx
09-18-2010, 09:00 AM
i would absolutely hate if this happened, i remember seeing highlights of the wnba finals and seeing sponsors on their jerseys and telling my friend that i thought that **** was non-sense and that the nba would never do that...guess i was wrong, i think it looks horrible and i also think it's called selling out, i mean yea it will help teams financially and for their sakes that's a plus but as a fan i disagree with this and hope that this day doesn't come, it will certainly drop jersey sales if they start selling them with the sponsors name on it especially if your team is sponsored by a company you don't buy **** from and even if you do it would kill the whole style, wearing a jersey with a companys name on it...PLEASE DAVID STERN KEEP SPONSORS IN THE NBA BUT OFF THE JERSEYS, THANK YOU

NYYCowboys
09-18-2010, 09:56 AM
I go to ball games to watch my team players represent the city and the Knicks, not bank of America and Cheetos. No thank you to this idea, hope it doesn't happen.

:laugh:

69centers
09-18-2010, 10:11 AM
It will turn into NBANASCAR. No thanks.