PDA

View Full Version : Slam: Raptors "We still really belive in Bryan Colangelo "non Raptor fans opinion plz

spreadeagle
09-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Colangelo’s boss gave the embattled GM a vote of confidence, and wants to extend his contract. The Toronto Star reports and is unimpressed: “A decent half season might score Colangelo the long-term contract extension he has been coveting. Heck, if you listen to the man who’ll largely decide Colangelo’s fate, you get the idea a passable 25 games could do it. That’s not to say a disastrous beginning couldn’t end Colangelo’s four-plus-year tenure in Toronto. But on Wednesday Colangelo’s boss gave the impression that a decision on the GM’s future will be made sooner rather than later. And if you’re laying odds, it’s a short bet he’s not going anywhere. ‘I will make a recommendation to the board (on Colangelo’s future) at some point during the season,’ said Peddie. ‘I’m not going to leave Bryan hanging out. He’s got kids in school here.’ Kids in school? It’s good to know Peddie, the president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, is looking out for Colangelo’s brood, if not the heart-scarred youth who’ve celebrated advancement in precisely one playoff series on Peddie’s circa-1996 watch. Still, while some among the fan base might see Colangelo as a lame duck whose performance has dipped since his 47-win Toronto debut — and while Las Vegas has the over-under on Raptors wins at a dim 28 1/2 — the GM isn’t viewed nearly as harshly in the MLSE boardroom. He is beloved and trusted by chairman Larry Tanenbaum, among other board members. And the buzz on the inside is that Colangelo has successfully cast himself as the did-all-I-could victim of Chris Bosh’s summertime of self-serving delusion, not to mention Hedo Turkoglu’s immaturity and the Charlotte Bobcats’ late-stage pullback on a trade that could have improved the Raptors. ‘We still really believe in Bryan Colangelo,’ said Peddie.”

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/09/raptors-we-still-really-believe-in-bryan-colangelo/

This guy still gets a lot of love in Toronto and im not sure why, baring a miracle this team wont make the playoffs this year and probably not the next Our only nice players are Derozen and Bargnani and they would be third options on most good teams.Losing Bosh for next to nothing,many failed trades,the Turkoglu disaster ect..Would he have been fired if he was in a major U.S market?. I think theres a feeling out there that there isnt anyone better at the moment but resigning him to another long term deal has this Raps fan very worried.

Wade>You
09-17-2010, 05:14 AM
I think he's the Raptors best hope for laying the foundation for a contender. It was obvious that Chris Bosh was the square peg to the round hole to Colangelo's vision so they had to part ways. But I doubt any GM has the vision to put a contender in Toronto especially since American players have a negative perception of the city / franchise.

spreadeagle
09-17-2010, 05:23 AM
I think he's the Raptors best hope for laying the foundation for a contender. It was obvious that Chris Bosh was the square peg to the round hole to Colangelo's vision so they had to part ways. But I doubt any GM has the vision to put a contender in Toronto especially since American players have a negative perception of the city / franchise.

Lets hope so,I dont see it being done with this group of players,Hard to sign F.A's so it will have to be done through solid drafting.We have not drafted a dominant player since Vince Carter "gotten in draft day trade"

Wade>You
09-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Lets hope so,I dont see it being done with this group of players,Hard to sign F.A's so it will have to be done through solid drafting.We have not drafted a dominant player since Vince Carter "gotten in draft day trade"Maybe not with this group of players, but I think as the international game continues to grow, Canada will be (or is now) the #1 destination for international players because of the diverse culture and the franchise's willingness to let international players get significant playing time and showcase their talent.

Coupled with the high lottery picks, you never know what could happen.

If I'm a Raptors fan, I'd understand that it's not gonna happen now, but I'd be optimistic at what can happen a few years down the road.

spreadeagle
09-17-2010, 05:45 AM
Maybe not with this group of players, but I think as the international game continues to grow, Canada will be (or is now) the #1 destination for international players because of the diverse culture and the franchise's willingness to let international players get significant playing time and showcase their talent.

Coupled with the high lottery picks, you never know what could happen.

If I'm a Raptors fan, I'd understand that it's not gonna happen now, but I'd be optimistic at what can happen a few years down the road.

Rubio or M Gasol...If I had a preying smiley i would use it now

IHeartNY
09-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Why should Canada be the No.1 destination for international players ?

I mean I'm from Europe and have a different view on basketball, and would never say that. In Greece, Spain, Turkey even in France or Lithuania (not to mention Germany) you can make BIG money and play on a decent level, and that's what it's about (for most players). And we don't really want to discuss, the cultural offer of Europe (Greece, France f.e.), do we ? Not to mention, that I don't see what that has to do with playing ball.

Only point where Canada could get No.1 of destinations for Euro-Star-Players or uprising ones is, if the money is way more and tha possibility of joining the NBA would be way better. But, I don't see why that should be the fact in Canada, yet. If you play good the NBA finds you ...

IHeartNY
09-17-2010, 07:05 AM
sorry, server.

spreadeagle
09-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Why should Canada be the No.1 destination for international players ?

I mean I'm from Europe and have a different view on basketball, and would never say that. In Greece, Spain, Turkey even in France or Lithuania (not to mention Germany) you can make BIG money and play on a decent level, and that's what it's about (for most players). And we don't really want to discuss, the cultural offer of Europe (Greece, France f.e.), do we ? Not to mention, that I don't see what that has to do with playing ball.

Only point where Canada could get No.1 of destinations for Euro-Star-Players or uprising ones is, if the money is way more and tha possibility of joining the NBA would be way better. But, I don't see why that should be the fact in Canada, yet. If you play good the NBA finds you ...

It is if you want to play in the NBA though..Toronto is very multicutural and has a lot to offer international players

Unruly Fan
09-17-2010, 10:06 AM
I guess you can say that Toronto can make the transition into the NBA for international players easier because of the high acceptance of cultural diversity within the city.

Hellcrooner
09-17-2010, 10:20 AM
sorry, server.

The Fact that canadians ans and media arent Biase against euros? In generall......

on teh subject.

THe ust ned to trade eitehr calderon or Jack for a similar quality center hat allows Bargs to play his REAL PF position and they are back in the playogss

JasonJohnHorn
09-17-2010, 10:39 AM
I understand that the Raptors may be better off going for European players because many American players want to play state side, but the bottom line is had colangelo had any sense, the Raptors would have a great roster right now and bosh wouldnt have left. I dont mean to play the 'what if' game, but the bottom line is Colangelo got high picks in the draft and came up short each time. Everybody and their dog knew when the Raps had the first overall pick that they should have traded it for a young vet or traded down because there was no clear cut first over all pick (evidence: Adam Morrison, sheldon williams and Bargnani were all picked in the top five). Had they traded down they could have picked up another draft pick or a vet roll player and still ended up with Roy or Gay. And i remember when they picked Charlie V everybody was scratchign their heads and the commentators where even making comments about how unexpected a pick that was. Who did he pass on? bynum, granger and Jarrett Jack (who he would later sign as a free agent). The guy even picked Joey Graham over Granger! And the one season he actually picks up a solid player (Hibbert) he trades him after only one year? Now I know the draft is a crap shoot, and I dont expect a home run every season in the draft, but the fact he passed up on guys like Gay, Granger and Bynum, and traded the only decent pick he made, and has hung on to eh first-over-all bust in some apparent attempt to save face as he hopes Bargnani all of a sudden becomes a good rebounder and figures out how to play defence.

The Raptors could be suiting up hibbert, Granger, Bosh and Roy with calderon at the point and instead they have Amir Johnson, Bargnani, DeRozen and calderon.

I see what the Raps have, and what they could have had, and i gotta say, considering he took over a team that was in the playoffs and had the coach of the year, and turned them into a lottery team and fired a great coach, i have to say he's failed miserably in my book.

I know the GM job is hard and i know hind sight is twenty twenty, but while a guy like Joe Dumars has fumbled some drafts (Darko) he's also gotten steals in other drafts (Amir Johnson, Maxiell, and Prince to name a few) and was also smart enough to turn a free-agent loss (Grant Hill) into a gain (Ben Wallace- the corner stone of the Pistons championship team). And he's got his team to the conference finals more than anybody outside of LA and the Spurs over the last ten years, and has a title to go along with it.

Joe Dumars: I can forgive
Colangelo: Time to move on.

spreadeagle
09-17-2010, 11:08 AM
I understand that the Raptors may be better off going for European players because many American players want to play state side, but the bottom line is had colangelo had any sense, the Raptors would have a great roster right now and bosh wouldnt have left. I dont mean to play the 'what if' game, but the bottom line is Colangelo got high picks in the draft and came up short each time. Everybody and their dog knew when the Raps had the first overall pick that they should have traded it for a young vet or traded down because there was no clear cut first over all pick (evidence: Adam Morrison, sheldon williams and Bargnani were all picked in the top five). Had they traded down they could have picked up another draft pick or a vet roll player and still ended up with Roy or Gay. And i remember when they picked Charlie V everybody was scratchign their heads and the commentators where even making comments about how unexpected a pick that was. Who did he pass on? bynum, granger and Jarrett Jack (who he would later sign as a free agent). The guy even picked Joey Graham over Granger! And the one season he actually picks up a solid player (Hibbert) he trades him after only one year? Now I know the draft is a crap shoot, and I dont expect a home run every season in the draft, but the fact he passed up on guys like Gay, Granger and Bynum, and traded the only decent pick he made, and has hung on to eh first-over-all bust in some apparent attempt to save face as he hopes Bargnani all of a sudden becomes a good rebounder and figures out how to play defence.

The Raptors could be suiting up hibbert, Granger, Bosh and Roy with calderon at the point and instead they have Amir Johnson, Bargnani, DeRozen and calderon.

I see what the Raps have, and what they could have had, and i gotta say, considering he took over a team that was in the playoffs and had the coach of the year, and turned them into a lottery team and fired a great coach, i have to say he's failed miserably in my book.

I know the GM job is hard and i know hind sight is twenty twenty, but while a guy like Joe Dumars has fumbled some drafts (Darko) he's also gotten steals in other drafts (Amir Johnson, Maxiell, and Prince to name a few) and was also smart enough to turn a free-agent loss (Grant Hill) into a gain (Ben Wallace- the corner stone of the Pistons championship team). And he's got his team to the conference finals more than anybody outside of LA and the Spurs over the last ten years, and has a title to go along with it.

Joe Dumars: I can forgive
Colangelo: Time to move on.

I think it was the previous GM who passed on Granger for Grahm and chose Charlie V,we have had so many bad ones its hard to keep track.Including Hibbert as a throw in on the O'neal deal was such a killer,he never even suited up for us.Hes now better then Oneal

Chronz
09-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Like Ive said before, when Isiah Thomas is one of the better GM's in your history, your not in good shape at the top.