PDA

View Full Version : [Chron] Yao to be limited to 24 minutes in each Rockets Game

JordansBulls
09-16-2010, 12:08 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7202701.html

There will be no negotiations, no gray areas. Unless Yao Ming’s surgeon changes his mind and the plan, on all matters involving Yao’s playing time this season, the Rockets will not need to hold further meetings or reach compromises.

Most of all, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey pledged that he and coach Rick Adelman will not come to blows over a star center’s playing time, something Bulls vice president John Paxson and former coach Vinny Del Negro did when limiting Joakim Noah’s minutes last season as the Rockets will Yao’s this season.

Yao will play no more than 24 minutes per game, Rockets vice president and athletic trainer Keith Jones said. There will be no exceptions. If Yao has played his 24 minutes and the Rockets have the ball and eight seconds on the clock to make up a one-point deficit, Yao will not play those eight seconds.

Yao’s playing time will not average 24 minutes; it will end there. If he plays 22 minutes in one game, he will not play 26 the next. For that matter, if he plays two minutes one game, he will not play 26 the next. When Yao reaches his 24 minutes, he will be through for that game.

How can they succeed if this is the case?

If this is the case, then ust don't play him in the first half but like 6 minutes and then let him play 18 minutes in the 2nd half.

Gators123
09-16-2010, 12:09 PM
24 minutes is better than 0 :)

Hawkeye15
09-16-2010, 12:11 PM
I can't see how the Rockets enforce this, but in theory it sounds great. There will just be too much temptation in late game situations.

pebloemer
09-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Makes sense why they are offering Dampier a two year contract then.

sep11ie
09-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Yao's a competitor, lets see them keep him on the bench in a 101-101 4 quarter game vs. the lakers.

beasted86
09-16-2010, 12:37 PM
This makes perfect sense. By pre-season's start he wouldn't have played in an NBA game in 18 months. This is a major injury recovery and he will need time to get his conditioning and everything right with his body.

Just wish people would have understood this when I was asking why they were voting Yao 2nd Center in the NBA.

Hawkeye15
09-16-2010, 12:50 PM
This makes perfect sense. By pre-season's start he wouldn't have played in an NBA game in 18 months. This is a major injury recovery and he will need time to get his conditioning and everything right with his body.

Just wish people would have understood this when I was asking why they were voting Yao 2nd Center in the NBA.

most did understand Yao would not be released to play starters minutes. But he is the best when healthy, and even at 24 mpg, will have a huge effect. Come playoff time, I doubt the restriction stays at 24 mpg, and that is the most important thing

beasted86
09-16-2010, 12:59 PM
most did understand Yao would not be released to play starters minutes. But he is the best when healthy, and even at 24 mpg, will have a huge effect. Come playoff time, I doubt the restriction stays at 24 mpg, and that is the most important thing

I don't think so. He can't have a huge effect being the 2nd or 3rd option in the offense. Not only does he have to get his conditioning and timing right in only 24 minutes, but he has to get accustomed to new teammates playing styles. This was another aspect I tried explaining. The coaching staff and players aren't going to run every play through him for those 24 minutes as well.

Hawkeye15
09-16-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't think so. He can't have a huge effect being the 2nd or 3rd option in the offense. Not only does he have to get his conditioning and timing right in only 24 minutes, but he has to get accustomed to new teammates playing styles. This was another aspect I tried explaining. The coaching staff and players aren't going to run every play through him for those 24 minutes as well.

after a small time frame, you bet they will run the offense thru him on the floor. They would be crazy not to.
And this so called time limit, won't hold up. Competitive fire will kick in. In all reality, he should play 30 mpg, and sit out against the bottom dwellers all together

JordansBulls
09-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Either 6 minutes a quarter or just play him around 6 minutes the first half and 18 the 2nd half.

goku
09-16-2010, 01:37 PM
24 a littler too low 28-30mins is better

GodsSon
09-16-2010, 01:38 PM
i can't see how the rockets enforce this, but in theory it sounds great. There will just be too much temptation in late game situations.

+1

thekmp211
09-16-2010, 01:40 PM
interesting. it has to be done, they need to protect this guy. there is enough talent on the rockets to be a playoff team with this system but i wonder how far they can go. they can't be great without yao.

PatelJ1010
09-16-2010, 02:00 PM
There is too much temptation: What about Overtime games, When majority of your players are fouled out, and etc...you still going to stick to that rule...How about 30-34 Minutes seem reasonable...24 minutes will go be done by the end of 1st half and thats it...Rockets have Brad Miller and trying for Eric Dampier but what if one or both get injured...You gotta extend Yao...

(I have him on my Fantasy team and he was the only available Center that wasn't injured ...That's why I'm totally being crazy abt this idea)

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-16-2010, 02:07 PM
doesn't matter he can't play a full season + playoffs

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-16-2010, 02:10 PM
There is too much temptation: What about Overtime games, When majority of your players are fouled out, and etc...you still going to stick to that rule...How about 30-34 Minutes seem reasonable...24 minutes will go be done by the end of 1st half and thats it...Rockets have Brad Miller and trying for Eric Dampier but what if one or both get injured...You gotta extend Yao...

(I have him on my Fantasy team and he was the only available Center that wasn't injured ...That's why I'm totally being crazy abt this idea)

yao's career minutes per game is 32.7

dhopisthename
09-16-2010, 02:21 PM
they may have a hard time making the playoffs is that is the case

dwadefan03
09-16-2010, 02:28 PM
wut if they go OT

KnicksorBust
09-16-2010, 02:36 PM
I wonder how they figured out 24 as the exact number to cut him off at. I understand it's exactly half a game but that seems like more of a coincidence than anything else.

Chronz
09-16-2010, 02:37 PM
I dont like this, its not just about minutes but the quality of minutes. If its a free flowing game I think they should leave him out there or if they really need him out there. Sometimes playing 30 minutes is better than playing 24 if those 24 minutes were intense/physical. I do think there should be a restriction but to say its strictly based on minutes is pretty dumb. Even Big Z shouldered more of a load

PlezPlayDKnicks
09-16-2010, 02:38 PM
He won't be on my fantasy team anymore.. 28 minutes and up woulda been cool.. Thanks for the info. So this is Kevin Martin's team now.

michelangelo
09-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Wow, nice find on the story. It's a little bit disappointing to see Yao's minutes so strictly limited.

On the other hand, props to the doc for looking out for Yao: normally, they're on the team's side and let a player play as many minutes for the team's short term benefit to the player's long term detriment.

Hopefully, Yao can stay relatively injury free this season and get back to 30 mpg the season after.

Antipod
09-16-2010, 04:07 PM
24 min. a game till he gets injured again?