PDA

View Full Version : #10 Center in The NBA? (Volume 3 Edition)

Mile High Champ
09-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Hey guys, Some of you may remember that for the last two years I have conducted a poll at the end of the season that had PSD users vote for the top 10 players at each position. It is now that time to vote! I would like to start this up once more considering the NBA season is now over and we can get to this discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 2 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

I have skipped the number 1 poll as Howard was the obvious choice. I did the same thing with Lebron James at SF. I am trying to save some time as there is still the top 10 best players in the league list after the centers. Thanks for understanding.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best.

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Andrew Bogut
4) Brook Lopez
5) Andrew Bynum
6) Marc Gasol
7) Joakim Noah
8) Al Horford
9) Al Jefferson
10)

2009 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Shaquille O'Neal
5) Andrea Bargnani
6) Andris Biedrins
7) Emeka Okafor
8) Nene
9) Brook Lopez
10) Andrew Bynum

2008 Off-Season C Rankings:

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Andrew Bynum
5) Chris Kaman
6) Tyson Chandler
7) Shaquille O'Neal
8) Marcus Camby
9) Jermaine O'neal
10) Andrew Bogut

Mile High Champ
09-16-2010, 09:30 AM
The last poll is up. After this we move onto the top 10 players in the NBA!

Iggz53
09-16-2010, 09:33 AM
I like Perkins and Nene but I gave the #10 spot to Kaman. I did this because I think his situation has alot to do with his regression lately. If he was put on a winning team, I think his defense and intelligence will all of a sudden be resurrected.

Hawkeye15
09-16-2010, 09:40 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=bargnan01&y1=2010&p2=perkike01&y2=2010&p3=hilarne01&y3=2010&p4=kamanch01&y4=2010

Nene, Bargs, Perk, and Kaman comparison

Nene for me here

Hawkeye15
09-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Perk is so bad offensively, it just kills him when rating him

KnicksorBust
09-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Nene he's the most consistent impact player on both ends of the floor and he's incredibly effecient.

Niro
09-16-2010, 09:44 AM
lol wheres biedrins he had a bad year but cmon -.-

i picked kaman

29$JerZ
09-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Chris Kaman

pebloemer
09-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Nene for me. Athletic, physical, efficient offensively, strong defender and rebounder. If I were doing a redraft and looking for a Center out of the ones on the board, I'd choose Nene.

DaBUU
09-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Kaman

Avenged
09-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Nene and Perkins.

I like Perkins more, so he gets my vote. ;)

AntiG
09-16-2010, 12:42 PM

Yet players like Gasol, Nash, Bosh, etc are so bad DEFENSIVELY but get rated so highly. What a joke.

greek miami hea
09-16-2010, 01:08 PM
thats a no brainer.kaman!

Hawkeye15
09-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Yet players like Gasol, Nash, Bosh, etc are so bad DEFENSIVELY but get rated so highly. What a joke.

Gasol, and Bosh are not that bad of defenders. Nash is so elite offensively, its not even funny. Perk is arguably the worst offensive player of any of the contenders who see a lot of PT. Actually, I don't think you can argue that. He is a complete liability on that end. If he played for a bad team, nobody would even know his name. There is no way his defense lifts his horrid offensive game up enough to be a top 10 center.

Gators123
09-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Kaman

jackdawson
09-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Chis Kaman is very underrated. Dude was 19/9 player last season and an all-star.

Hawkeye15
09-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Chis Kaman is very underrated. Dude was 19/9 player last season and an all-star.

while the Clips are starving for production, nodoby that shoots 49% eFG%, at his usage, should be considered "great".

AntiG
09-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Gasol, and Bosh are not that bad of defenders. Nash is so elite offensively, its not even funny. Perk is arguably the worst offensive player of any of the contenders who see a lot of PT. Actually, I don't think you can argue that. He is a complete liability on that end. If he played for a bad team, nobody would even know his name. There is no way his defense lifts his horrid offensive game up enough to be a top 10 center.

But do you see what you are doing here? Perk is right up there with Howard as by far the best defensive center in the game today, like how Nash is right there with Deron Williams and Chris Paul as the elite offensive PG in the game today. Not to mention that Nash is so filthy bad defensively that he is equal or worse defensively than Perkins is offensively. And Gasol IS definitely that bad a defender.

Hawkeye15
09-16-2010, 02:39 PM
But do you see what you are doing here? Perk is right up there with Howard as by far the best defensive center in the game today, like how Nash is right there with Deron Williams and Chris Paul as the elite offensive PG in the game today. Not to mention that Nash is so filthy bad defensively that he is equal or worse defensively than Perkins is offensively. And Gasol IS definitely that bad a defender.

Perk is a good post defender, but he is nowhere near the level of overall defensive effectiveness of Dwight. He is a good defender, but it can't offset his complete uselessness on offense. You can attempt to throw up those comparisons all you want, but Perk doesn't do enough defensively to get his overall efficiency level up high enough to offset his offense, therefore he is below league average in most categories of evaluation. I will look at his numbers on synergy later, and let you know as well. I don't think he is much on the pick and roll or closeouts, but that is a guess until I look at it. Simply going off memory here. They typically don't let Perk leave the paint.

And Nash is not with Paul and Deron btw. he is the next tier. His defense is exactly why. And I have no clue where you get Gasol being a bad defender.

Mile High Champ
09-16-2010, 02:39 PM

Putting Perkins in the same sentence as Nash makes me sick..:puke:

Hawkeye15
09-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Putting Perkins in the same sentence as Nash makes me sick..:puke:

unless you are talking a certain few, there is only so much a defender can do to change a game. Perk is a good post defender, but he isn't a guy causing havoc and disruption. I am not sure why many think he is such an elite defender. He stays on the post. He isn't even the best defender in his frontcourt. Like I keep saying, very good on the post, with his lower body strength and work ethic. But he isn't a game changing defender nightly. Nash is offensively.
And again, being so horrific on one side of the ball, and being the pure definition of role player, doesn't get you into the top 10 of your position. The very fact taht he is even being argued here shows how pathetic the center has become in today's NBA

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-16-2010, 02:53 PM
camby gets my vote

kaman is so overrated, he's a chucker SG in centers body

td0tsfinest
09-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Looks like K-Man is running away with this.

Rivera
09-16-2010, 03:15 PM
i wanna vote for camby cause he went to umass and i live 15 min away from umass

its really between nene n perk

nene is consistent on both end of the floors

perks offensive game isnt as bad as people think....he just NEVER shoots....but ull b surprised perk got a few offensive moves

ima go wit perk cause his defense trumps nenes offense or defense

he is the 2nd best defender as a big man only behind dwight

Rivera
09-16-2010, 03:17 PM
wow kaman is runnin away with this....we got this whole position wrong and pretty bad 2....i agree with the top3 but thats ABOUT IT!!!!

this was a bad rank by PSD

nycericanguy
09-16-2010, 03:52 PM
I;m in the minority but I went with Camby. He just changes the game so much more than the other guys on the list. For me it was between Camby, Kaman & Perkins. Perkins is a bruiser and anchors the middle for a contending team.

But Camby wins IMO, look what he bought to POR, look how DEN misses him. Look how he took NY to the finals. He is still a legit 11ppg 12rpg 2bpg guy.

Nene shouldnt even be in the discussion. What is he really good at? He's a horrible rebounder for his size, not a good shotblocker, and not a big hustle guy. He can score some yes, but there are other centers that have better all around games. If you listen to DEN fans, alot want him gone.

Antipod
09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
After nr. 3, all the other picks are based on "luck"

OGMarkWahlberg
09-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Bargnani will hav a monster season...calling it

BillyHoyle35
09-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Kaman, has good skills in most areas you want from a center.

J_M_B
09-16-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm very surprised at the few votes Nene is receiving..

It's Nene for me.

Ovratd1up
09-16-2010, 06:37 PM

Well it doesn't kill him in the games, he's allowed to sit around the basket and post 60+ FG percentages when he's surrounded by Rondo, Ray, Pierce, and Garnett.

Anyway, I said Perkins here before but I think I may change my vote to Nene. Kaman's good, but I just don't like voting for people that are so overrated because of their numbers.

Kashmir13579

i know, but i'm still going with the champ. i like his toughness.

J_M_B
I can't really take this poll seriously..

In my opinion, this list of centers is way off...

IversonIsKrazy
09-16-2010, 06:38 PM
I like Nene, but he gets injured often. Although he had a healthy past season, I don't expect the same. Kaman was the focal post offense for his team, I don't like him too much either. I went with Bargnani here (i guess its kind of a homer pick) but I see him improving a lot next year with Bosh out of the picture, and can expect 20/8.