PDA

View Full Version : Drabek: The next morning...

nstojic
09-16-2010, 07:59 AM
so, what did everyone think? only one start but what were everyones impressions?

some media

“It is exciting,” the 1990 National League Cy Young Award winner said. “You watch him growing up and help coach his young teams, and now to see him here in this setting in a new level of his career is pretty special.

“The only thing I told him was don’t change anything, do everything the same. It’s still the same game. I left it at that and let him soak everything in and enjoy it.”

After Kyle gave up base hits to the first two hitters he faced, then watched as they executed a double steal, he wriggled out of the jam, allowing only one run.

“As a pitching coach I’d give him good damage control,” the elder Drabek said. “It could have gotten bad but he got out with only one run. So, probably on my report I would write ‘Good damage control.’ ”http://www.torontosun.com/sports/baseball/2010/09/16/15367366-torsun.html

If there was something the boxscore from that debut didn’t mention, it was Drabek’s unmistakable poise. Those who know the game know Drabek has an abundance of raw talent. But it’s the poise, they feel, that will seperate him from the minors and keep him in the big leagues.

“I think that’s part of him growing up in a baseball family ... the guys who can stay calm play up here, the guys who can’t don’t stay up here,” Jays manager Cito Gaston said as his club was swept in three games by the resurgent O’s in a game that also saw Jays slugger Jose Bautista stroke his 47th home run of the season to tie George Bell’s franchise record for homers in a single season.

Drabek, between innings, glanced into the stands to locate his family — mother, sister, and father Doug, the 1990 Cy Young Award winner with Pittsburgh.

The 22-year-old from The Woodlands, Texas, knew they were there, but couldn’t see them in a crowd of 13,651. No matter, he was, as Gaston said, calm all night.

He gave up singles to the first two batters he faced — Brian Roberst and Nick Markakis — then struck out his first batter, No. 3 hitter Ty Wigginton.

“I was glad I got that one out of the way,” said Drabek, who struck out five and walked three in.

“Today felt like any other day, a few more text messages than normal, but I felt okay. I was happy my family was here. I got to spend the day with them and it felt normal.”

Indeed, Drabek and family strolled around the Baltimore inner harbor in the afternoon, stopping in at Best Buy and leaving with what looked like a new I-Pad — a family gift for a son’s first major league milestone.

Drabek gave up two runs on three hits and a walk in the fourth. Things could have been worse — but Vernon Wells robbed Adam Jones of a home run with an over-the-wall catch, while Travis Snider threw out a runner at second from the deep left field corner to erase another threat.

The Jays managed just seven hits — two of them in the ninth — against Brad Bergesen, who went the distance as Baltimore, which had lost all 12 previous meetings with the Jays this season, eagerly scooped up all three games here.

For Drabek, though, nervousness just wasn’t part of the equation.

“This team has been good to me in settling me down,” said Drabek, who has been pegged as the “next Roy Halladay” ever since a January trade with Philadelphia sent the Jays’ former ace to the Phillies for Drabek and two other prospects. “They’ve made me feel normal, so there wasn’t that much nerves out there tonight.”

It was mentioned by a seasoned writer that other players making major league debuts have said the game seems to go by so quickly.

Not for Drabek.

“It felt slow, to be honest,” he said. “To me, it felt like I was taking my time delivering my pitches. ... I know I had a great defence behind me, but it was definitely relaxed out there. There was some nerves at some points, and I don’t think having him (father) in the big leagues made it easy for me. It made it easier that I could talk to him while I was growing up.”

His teammates responded by giving him high fives and hugs as he sat down for the night. “The guys were great to me,” Drabek said.http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/bluejays/article/861968--drabek-cool-under-fire-in-jays-debut

miller74
09-16-2010, 09:31 AM
I was impressed, looks like hes got aobut 4 major league pitches (change up needs to get better). Kid has confindence first full count he gets into he throws a curve ball 2 feet in front of the plate for a strikeout.

Bjaxn45
09-16-2010, 10:42 AM
I was very impressed by 3/4 of his pitches. His fastball had good movement @ 95, guys were swing and missing at curveballs in front of the plate more than once. His cutter, with added control could be equally as good. Super impressed with his makeup.

FlakeyFool
09-16-2010, 10:42 AM
wow only about 13,000 showed up to the game last night?

Bob_at_york
09-16-2010, 11:48 AM
13,000 in Baltimore.

I didn't really get to watch the game. Good to hear some positive reviews from you guys.

FlakeyFool
09-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Brain fart on my part

Shark
09-16-2010, 12:24 PM
I liked the kid on his first start. He showed promise and excitement to look forward to in the future.

BlueJayFanDan
09-16-2010, 12:46 PM
He definitely had some very good moments. He has a ton of potential.

DiPasquale7
09-16-2010, 01:20 PM
If he can locate that cutter, the kids going to be elite. He's got good poise. He's got a shot to be an elite #1/#2 on any team if he can put all the pieces together. So far so good.

Shifty1 69
09-16-2010, 03:37 PM
I was impressed, looks like hes got aobut 4 major league pitches (change up needs to get better). Kid has confindence first full count he gets into he throws a curve ball 2 feet in front of the plate for a strikeout.

Not sure how you can judge his changeup by what you saw? lol

If I heard correctly he threw 1 changeup in the whole start.

2009mvp
09-16-2010, 04:02 PM
^^PitchFX had him at 4 changeups, though the method they use is far from perfect.

bartron_44
09-16-2010, 07:13 PM
He threw something that dove away from a left handed hitter pretty hard. On the radio I was listening to on the way home to watch it live said he was throwing a sinker that was falling off the table, but I never saw that pitch in his last 2 innings...that cutter is around 92mph though, and breaks more like a slider imo though than a cutter..it is nasty!!

I see him pitching kinda of like Doc when he is fully matured. cutter, 2-seamer, curveball...except with the occasional 4 seamer, and the occasional change up. That 92mph cutter , along with a devastating curveball is going to be his bread and butter imo though..Power pitchers only need 1 pitch that is a real change of pace to be effective, and he already has 1 with that deuce..All he needs is time to learn how to locate the fastball a little more consistently. Once he starts consistently pitching ahead of hitters, he will be dominant...

Shifty1 69
09-17-2010, 08:06 AM
^^PitchFX had him at 4 changeups, though the method they use is far from perfect.

Could be, I just heard it a few times on the FAN that he only threw 1 changeup... but that doesnt mean it true by any means.

I am very excited about what I think this kid could do based on the very limited sample that I saw (3 innings + highlights). Didnt fold when he could have and his stuff is filthy. I was much more skeptical before actually seeing him (thanks Keith Law!!:D)... but he could be a beast.:clap: Only 22yo, that is exciting as well (no I dont have a thing for younger men,:facepalm: haha).

Adds to my excitement of where this team is going. Drabek, Morrow is/will be a stud, Marcum (i am a big fan), Cecil (I think will ultimately be their best Lefty) and Romero (very happy with him in any capacity 2 thru 5 in the rotation).

This team could really test the "pitching wins championships" cliche. lol At least within the next few seasons.:)
If only it was "dont get on base and hit a ton of solo HR's wins championships" we'd be GOLD!! lol

North Yorker
09-17-2010, 08:41 AM
I was impressed with the movement on his pitches. He has the stuff to be a good #2, just needs a year to figure it our like Cecil did. I like that he and Cecil seem to have that same bulldog mindset, where they dont get rattled when runners get on because they know they have the stuff to get out of it.

This makes me wonder how far away is Stewart, because if he is ready within a year, we could have a log jam at SP.

Romero,Marcum,Cecil,Morrow,Drabek/Litsch/Mills/Rzep/Stewart

I could see Stewart being a September call-up next year and pitch out of the BP, unless our SP is decimated by injury. When he is ready to join the rotation with Drabek that leaves Marcum as trade bait.

FlakeyFool
09-17-2010, 09:14 AM
obviously some of those guys will be traded for bats

nstojic
09-17-2010, 11:06 AM
This team could really test the "pitching wins championships" cliche. lol At least within the next few seasons.:)
If only it was "dont get on base and hit a ton of solo HR's wins championships" we'd be GOLD!! lol

overrated imo... look at the jays teams in the last couple of years with doc... up near the top in pitching #'s and D but couldn't hit... = sucked/mediocre

2009mvp
09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
overrated imo... look at the jays teams in the last couple of years with doc... up near the top in pitching #'s and D but couldn't hit... = sucked/mediocre

There's 18 games left and the 2010 Jays are about 120 runs shy of last years total. Don't mistake yourself because of the HRs, this isn't an especially good offensive team. This is a .500 team because of the surprisingly good pitching.

nstojic
09-17-2010, 02:32 PM
oh, i know... i'm talking about the teams in 2007 and 08.... and i know we're homerun or nothing, this year...

nstojic
09-19-2010, 07:28 PM
fangraphs blog

No Major League team is currently in possession of as talented a young, Major League starting staff as the Toronto Blue Jays. This season has seen the coming out party for Ricky Romero, occasional ace-type brilliance from Brandon Morrow, and a quiet sub-4 FIP year for Brett Cecil. Last night, the newest horse joined the big league stables as Kyle Drabek made his Major League debut against the Baltimore Orioles. The young right-hander took the loss despite allowing just three runs in six innings, as Jose Bautista could only get to Brad Bergesen once in nine innings.

Drabek’s line (9H/6IP, 8GO/2AO) implies the sort of bad batted ball luck that we often see from sinkerballers. But this was simply not the case, as Drabek was the beneficiary of at least five good defensive plays: Aaron Hill fired a relay throw from DeWayne Wise into an out at home plate; Lyle Overbay turned a great 4-3-6 double play to end an inning; Travis Snider impressively threw out Ty Wigginton at second base; Vernon Wells “robbed” a home run from Adam Jones in right-center; and John Buck threw out Corey Patterson from his knees. We’re talking about multiple runs prevented by the Blue Jays defense, turning Drabek’s day from a Welcome to the Majors moment into a Quality Start.

There’s no question Drabek keeps a defense active. I have often wondered why Drabek’s strikeout rates in the minors weren’t great, why a guy with his stuff would post a career minor league whiff rate of just 7.5. Granted, he gets the groundouts too, but Keith Law just wrote up a minor leaguer with a 93-97 mph fastball, and Baseball America rated his curveball a “70” on the scouting scale, and he’s not striking out a batter an inning? Tonight, I got some indication on why that has been true. Yes, Drabek’s curvball is nasty – just tune into a mid-inning strikeout of Felix Pie on back-to-back curveballs to see the nastiness – but the pitch is missing something. He has, oddly enough, better command than control of the pitch (this is often said the other way around).

To push the point further, all night Drabek showed a really unique ability to bury his curveball in the dirt – it’s a trait that not many curveball pitchers possess at the age of 22. But the skill he doesn’t seem to have is the ability to throw it for strikes. I saw it only twice last night – once to Brian Roberts in the fourth inning, and then again to Matt Wieters in the sixth. The latter was a hanging curveball that Wieters deposited for a left field single. So, my hypothesis is that minor league hitters likely figured this out, and taught themselves (as best they could) to lay off the curveball in the dirt, and let Drabek beat them with the fastball. And that fastball, even at 92-95 mph, is a pitch-to-contact heater for Drabek, as he doesn’t have explosive life up in the zone.

The single he gave up to Corey Patterson in the fourth inning is a perfect example of the way two-seam fastballs lose life when they don’t get down – Drabek left it up, and the pitch went flat, serving a RBI on a platter. When low in the zone, Drabek gets some heavy sink and arm-side run on the pitch. It’s just no surprise that he racks up groundballs at the rate he does. But it’s a pitch that hitters fouled off rather than swung threw often last night, which means his breaking ball will have to really be perfect to raise his strikeout rate to a level that his stuff suggests.

Or, maybe he will start adding strikeouts because of the emergence of his new and mysterious third pitch. No, not the change-up, which was thrown a couple times last night, a waste pitch low and away to lefties. Nowhere in Baseball America’s offseason report, or even Law’s from last week, did we see mention of a pitch that Kyle Drabek threw about 20% of the time last night: a cutter. You can’t blame BA or Law, because a second-inning booth interview of his father Doug Drabek revealed that Dad taught him the pitch in the offseason, and that it’s still coming along.

But wow, does the pitch have potential. A second-inning strikeout of Adam Jones showed off the pitch in all its glory: he commanded a 90 mph pitch with slider movement with two strikes. In fact, at times, he shows great confidence in the pitch: throwing it on three balls at least three times last night. But the confidence is still not in all the right places. His Dad, in the booth interview, said the pitch was implemented as a way to jam left-handed hitters. But like a college pitcher afraid to throw his change-up against aluminum bats, Drabek wouldn’t use it in that fashion last night: back-dooring it to left-handed hitters and using it a chase pitch against right-handers.http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-dirt-on-drabeks-debut/

Shifty1 69
09-20-2010, 09:48 AM
^^^ interesting read. At 22, I think he has a little time to harness thas curve ball, although the writer is correct that it loses all impact if he cant learn how to throw it for strikes consistently.
If that cutter is a "work in progress" then that is outstanding news... cause it looked good in the limited sample I saw. lol If an effective changeup comes them look out.:speechless: