PDA

View Full Version : Should David Stern put an end to war of words between Riley, Van Gundy, and Smith?

D Roses Bulls
09-15-2010, 09:29 PM
I think this article got a couple things wrong, like stars stay out of trouble and everyone likes them cause that doesn't seem to be true, but pretty good article all together.

Everyone loves an old-fashioned war of words in the NBA, and Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy, Magic GM Otis Smith and Miami Heat president Pat Riley are intertwined in a complex, deeply seeded ménage ŕ trois of mind games.

Please, David Stern, don’t make it stop.

Surely you’ve been following along. Earlier this summer Van Gundy said Chris Bosh followed around Dwyane Wade “like his lap dog” during the free agency period, and Otis Smith said he thought LeBron James was “more of a competitor” than to join a Miami Heat team that already had an established leader in Wade.

Pat Riley finally broke the silence on Friday, wondering what happened to Van Gundy and calling Smith’s comment “a stupid remark.”

Then Van Gundy said, “You have a different opinion than Pat, then apparently it’s stupid.”

All of this, of course, is awesome. This Heat-Magic rivalry is shaping up to be classic, the type of rivalry this league hasn’t seen in years. We’re talking real bad blood and personal attacks — two teams that just don’t like each other.

It’s a breath of fresh air, because there is far less bad blood in the NBA these days than there was 20 years ago. The league’s biggest stars are nice guys who stay out of trouble and say the right things. The young players all grew up playing AAU together. Everyone’s always staying politically correct and complimenting each other.

People inside the league view this is as a good thing, which it is — the league’s biggest stars are nice, likable, and seemingly love each other.

But to those outside of the league? The fans? This war of words is entertainment. This is what people want to see. This is what makes people tune into their TV sets, text their friends and comment on blog posts.

So let’s hope Stern doesn’t step in and put an end to it.

“Stan and Otis were making their point; it naturally becomes a mind game,” New Jersey Nets president Billy King told the Sun-Sentinel’s Ira Winderman. “They fired the first shot across the bow. Now Pat comes back, and it will continue throughout the year until the Commissioner steps in.”

Please, Mr. Stern, let this thing resolve on its own. Over months of back-and-forth attacks and “I’m not here to talk about the Heat” quotes.

What do you think? Should the commissioner step in and put a stop to it?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2010/09/should-david-stern-put-an-end-to-war-of-words-between-pat-riley-stan-van-gundy-and-otis-smith.html

CLASSOF72
09-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Dictators do as dictators want, but I think Stern should stay out of it. Unless he wants to make a no gang up rule for the NBA's FA's and leave the tallent aquisitions to the leagues GM"s and coaches.

Avenged
09-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Absolutely not.

I bet Stern is loving this, battle of words is going to lead to a battle on the court.

Rivalry in the making, and quite frankly I'm excited for it.

D Roses Bulls
09-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Absolutely not.

I bet Stern is loving this, battle of words is going to lead to a battle on the court.

it is pretty good for the NBA that this is happening...... I'm a Orlando fan though so I gotta stay on their side.

Bruno
09-15-2010, 09:43 PM
No, the states should run themselves.

ackar
09-15-2010, 09:44 PM
i like and i basically agree with the article where is the passion and hatred. You can be friends in the off season.

D Roses Bulls
09-15-2010, 09:48 PM
can not wait for this season.

llemon
09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Stern has much bigger NBA problems to deal with than the idiotic words from the idiotic state of Florida.

Gators123
09-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Absolutely not.

:nod:

blastmasta26
09-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Stern shouldn't interfere. Rivalries make everything more interesting.

thescore53
09-15-2010, 10:17 PM
i think they should all just stfu. people are entitled to their opinions. you dont have to ask for a press conf. to tell people you dont care about what they say.

_KB24_
09-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Let the attention whores get their publicity while they can. They are going to get grilled when they fail to meet expectations.

Geargo Wallace
09-15-2010, 11:01 PM
I like it. Ain't nothing wrong with media attention.

Would you like Darth Vader to stop choking ppl with the force?

xxcubs22xx
09-15-2010, 11:57 PM
No.

Keep the words a flowin'...

This is the NBA, not grade school :)

:eyebrow:
:confused:
:facepalm:

Iceman05
09-16-2010, 12:05 AM
He cant put out a fire that hasnt even started yet. Boy....Riley had some pretty good combacks there http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9156/patriley.jpg

td0tsfinest
09-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Absolutely not.

Lets not forget Dwights early trash talk this past month. Saying he was tired of the Heat talk and saying the Big two was in Orlando.

Miami and Orlando are already division rivals and arguably the top 2 teams in the east, this is just making the rivalry a little more juicier.

xxcubs22xx
09-16-2010, 12:20 AM

Lets not forget Dwights early trash talk this past month. Saying he was tired of the Heat talk and saying the Big two was in Orlando.

Miami and Orlando are already division rivals and arguably the top 2 teams in the east, this is just making the rivalry a little more juicier.

I agree.

Quite honestly, i believe it has slightly progressed towards a Miami Heat vs. Everyone rival.

Just hear me out for a second.

Players are simply going to get more motivated to compete against the Heat and bring it.

After their monsterous off-season, they do have a target on their back, much like if the Lakers visit anybody. You just know its going to be intense battles

Antipod
09-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Let them bark ... i love this kind of verbal duels :D

NYKalltheway
09-16-2010, 07:02 AM
reminds me of the WWE... Stern's choice to make the NBA like this imo so he won't do anything unless it becomes tiresome

TheTakeOver24
09-16-2010, 08:31 AM
the most anticipated NBA season in years... Who in their right minds would want to stop this?

Slimsim
09-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Hell No Stern Probably smiling and enjoying every minute of it.

Hindy27
09-16-2010, 10:03 AM
No way, he should stay out of it.

Hopefully the war of words translates to a good on court rivalry, we might see something like the old Heat-Knicks rivalry.
The extra press this brings is extra publicity for the NBA and should boost ratings when these teams get near each other.

Stern would be loving it.:clap: